What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rudi Johnson - Hammy? (1 Viewer)

Rounders

Footballguy
Here's what I have found:

From CBS

Rudi Johnson left the Bengals Week 3 game at Seattle with a hamstring injury. He had a surprisingly poor game, rushing for nine yards on 17 carries with a 33-yard catch.

(Updated 09/23/2007).

FANTASY ANALYSIS

Johnson was replaced by Kenny Watson, who had more success than Johnson was having. Monitor Johnson's status before leaning on him when the Bengals play vs. New England in Week 4, which isn't a great matchup to begin with.
From Rotoworld
Rudi Johnson rushed 17 times for nine yards and caught one pass for 33 yards before leaving with a hamstring injury in Week 3 against the Seahawks.

(Updated 9/23/2007)

IMPACT

After seeing nearly every snap in the Bengals' backfield through two games, Johnson watched on the sidelines as Kenny Watson put the team ahead late with an eight-yard touchdown. He rushed for negative three yards on 13 first-half carries after beginning the season with back-to-back strong fantasy performances. Rudi said after the game that the hamstring injury won't keep him out against New England in Week 4. The Bengals face the Pats Monday night, so Johnson has an extra day to heal up.
Any other updates out there? Just want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done a lot of searching and come up with zip. Hopefully Lewis will have more info about the injury today.

Rudi gets injured in the 3rd quarter and doesn't play another snap a close game? Watson seems like he could be a good pickup - he did make the most out of his time and hammys have a tendency to linger whether the guy wants to play next week or not.

I own Rudi and just picked up Watson as insurance...I'm not happy with Rudi as my #1 RB right now. If Watson has another outing like he did yesteday, I could see him taking carries away from Rudi, injured hammy or not.

I kicking myself for not trying to sell Rudi after last week's performance vs. Cleveland. I know it's only 3 games, but the guy isn't looking explosive this year. What's he worth right now?

The Bengals have stated for a long time now that they want to get another back to share the load with Rudi....just injuries have taken toll. Chris Perry & Irons. Myabe Watson will be the guy

LeBomb said:
Rudi gets injured in the 3rd quarter and doesn't play another snap a close game? Watson seems like he could be a good pickup - he did make the most out of his time and hammys have a tendency to linger whether the guy wants to play next week or not.
Rudi was also extremely ineffective. 17 carries, 9 yards. It's rare that a RB gets more than 15 carries in a game and averages barely half a yard per carry. Watson had 60 yards on 9 carries. It could be that the coaches both wanted to protect Rudi and also went with the more productive player on this given day.

Any Bengals homers with any info on this? I haven't seen a single thing about this today which makes me wonder if the injury isn't serious. One would think that if Rudi Johnson had a serious injury somebody covering the Bengals might've mentioned it by now.

I think the fact that...

he plays on a monday

VS a very tough NE D

Looked terrible this week

and still might have some hammy issues

I would think people would want to look else where for a starter this week.

This is just the early observation, things could change by friday.

but the fact is that you dont want to start a guy listed as a GTD playin on a monday.

I just want to know if the injury is serious or not. From the complete lack of information I'm assuming it isn't. Either that or the Bengal beat writers are really napping on this.

Even if he is healthy... Rudi might lose carries since the kidd looked better.
It's worth noting that Rudi was starting to run better right before he got hurt against Seattle. And if he does lose a few carries that's hardly anything to worry about. The Bengals want another RB in the mix to take some of the pressure off Rudi and keep him fresh for the entire season. If Watson can emerge that'd be fine. Rudi's hardly in danger of losing the primary carries in this offense when healthy. If a healthy Chris Perry couldn't make a dent in Rudi's carries I doubt Watson will.

It's worth noting that Rudi was starting to run better right before he got hurt against Seattle. And if he does lose a few carries that's hardly anything to worry about. The Bengals want another RB in the mix to take some of the pressure off Rudi and keep him fresh for the entire season. If Watson can emerge that'd be fine. Rudi's hardly in danger of losing the primary carries in this offense when healthy. If a healthy Chris Perry couldn't make a dent in Rudi's carries I doubt Watson will.
You say that as if Perry is something special. He went to Michigan, and as we all now know, that automatically means he's overrated. Even Tom Brady meant to go to Florida, but he took a wrong turn. :lmao:

If I recall, Chris Perry was taking quite a chunk out of Rudi's production the one year he played well and was uninjured. He took a lot of the 3rd down and a bunch of passes from Rudi and scored a couple of TD's. I think he had something like 50 receptions. That's pretty impressive for a 2nd string/3rd down back.

If I recall, Chris Perry was taking quite a chunk out of Rudi's production the one year he played well and was uninjured. He took a lot of the 3rd down and a bunch of passes from Rudi and scored a couple of TD's. I think he had something like 50 receptions. That's pretty impressive for a 2nd string/3rd down back.
Rudi averaged 21 carries a game that season, rushed for a career high in yardage and scored 12 TDs. He had at least 18 carries in a game in every game but three and had 20 carries or more nine times. Perry was a big factor on passing downs but he didn't take a large chunk of the rushing attempts away from Rudi. I'll say it again - as a Rudi owner I want to see them have a good backup in place. That means the Bengals won't feel like they have to give him 25-30 carries a game every week which raises the chances of injury or him wearing down late in the season.

Perry looked like a future star in the making. He had a few TD's called back from penalties. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to see him much since then. I wonder how effective he'll be when he does return after all he's been through injury-wise. His versatility was the perfect fit for the Bengal offense.

Just talked to a friend of mine who lives in Cincinnati. He said there hasn't been much talk about this and the local reporters all expect Rudi to play next Monday night. That's all I've got so far.

Here's the problem with your philosophy. They play the New England Patriots next week. They've given up ZERO Td's on the ground this season. So, it's a bad start to start Rudi or Watson vs. them.The following week they are on bye week. So, if Rudi is thinking he may be ready for next week.........I hope they just sit him anyway because I'm not starting him vs. Patriots after what I saw last week vs. Seattle.

Just talked to a friend of mine who lives in Cincinnati. He said there hasn't been much talk about this and the local reporters all expect Rudi to play next Monday night. That's all I've got so far.
Oh, well if your FRIEND says he's good to go, then I guess it's not worth looking into any longer :unsure:

Oh, well if your FRIEND says he's good to go, then I guess it's not worth looking into any longer :unsure:
No need to be a jerk. Nothing he said indicates that it's not worth looking into any longer.

Oh, well if your FRIEND says he's good to go, then I guess it's not worth looking into any longer :lmao:
Way to miss the point. I wasn't trying to use my friend as the source of all info about Rudi's injury but rather to get some idea from someone who lives in Cincinnati as to what he's hearing down there given how we've heard zip on this injury since Sunday. My bad for thinking that finding out what is being talked about in Cincinnati might be somewhat relevant here.

Here's the update - and it's not good. From RotoWorld:

Rudi Johnson (hamstring) may miss the Monday night clash against the Patriots according to Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.

Johnson struggled mightily against the Seahawks in Week 3 before being replaced by Kenny Watson, who would see the bulk of the action if Johnson is out and would be a solid fantasy option. The Monday start will but owners in a bind Sunday morning, though it also gives Johnson an extra day to get healthy.

(KFFL) Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals have signed RB DeDe Dorsey (Colts). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bringing in another back also. :goodposting:

It's certainly possible the Bengals may decide to rest Rudi this week, take the Week 5 bye and then hope he's ready for Week 6. The flipside to that is they badly need to run the ball in order to win and at 1-2 they probably can't afford to fall to 1-3 and have a strong shot to get to the playoffs in the AFC. Lot of factors riding on Rudi's hammy this week. We'll certainly no more after the team practices Wednesday through Friday.

Week 2 Rudi runs for a 100 yards

Week 3 he runs terribly and gets dinged

Now he is being replaced? He's earned a little respect.

I believe the Bengals have a bye in week 5, so he could get a full 3 weeks rest (this week, next week, and some of the following week going into KC game)

I think he plays, but I have picked up Watson just in case.

Week 2 Rudi runs for a 100 yardsWeek 3 he runs terribly and gets dingedNow he is being replaced? He's earned a little respect.I believe the Bengals have a bye in week 5, so he could get a full 3 weeks rest (this week, next week, and some of the following week going into KC game)I think he plays, but I have picked up Watson just in case.
I don't think there's any question that Rudi is the clear primary RB for the Bengals. Like you said, he's more than earned that title given his production. The only issue here is the injury and how serious it is. I don't see any reason to believe Watson or any other RB on the roster is a serious threat to Rudi's job given how no one has proven to be a serious threat to his job since he became the unquestioned starter.

Week 2 Rudi runs for a 100 yards

Week 3 he runs terribly and gets dinged

Now he is being replaced? He's earned a little respect.

I believe the Bengals have a bye in week 5, so he could get a full 3 weeks rest (this week, next week, and some of the following week going into KC game)

I think he plays, but I have picked up Watson just in case.
I don't think there's any question that Rudi is the clear primary RB for the Bengals. Like you said, he's more than earned that title given his production. The only issue here is the injury and how serious it is. I don't see any reason to believe Watson or any other RB on the roster is a serious threat to Rudi's job given how no one has proven to be a serious threat to his job since he became the unquestioned starter.
While I don't disagree with your main point, that Rudi remains the Bengals primary back, I do think you can make a pretty good case that he is wearing down and is not the back he was a year or two ago. I realize that he is fairly young, but the statistics point toward a fairly steady erosion in his productivity. Specifically, he is becoming more and more of a plodder each year.
Code:
very good[/I] as a rookie. What really stands out to me is that both his success rate and the long runs for the Bengals (with Rudi getting most of the carries) have been more or less declining since he was a rookie. Last year, he became a real plodder, with very few explosive plays. And last year he wasn't even an above average power back.

His stats for 2007 are probably a bit of an aberration, but I am not sure "reversion to the mean" will bring him back to the levels some people expected of him, even when he is healthy.

Looks like a bad week to own Rudi, even if he does play he will probably be the dreaded game time decision and it is on a Monday night so you almost have to sit him.

As for Perry, he showed some great flashes, but cannot stay healthy.

And as for Watson, I do not think he is anything more than a special teamer for life. Sure he looked decent in the 2nd half Sunday and has heart, but the kid has not carried more than 20 times in a game in 5 years!

As a Bengal homer I would pass on picking up Watson unless he can prove himself, and he will not be doing that against NE....

***Bloom Alert***DeDe Dorsey's signing is disconcerning to hopeful Kenny Watson WWrats.

Does this mean Rudi's injury is worse than said? Maybe im digging to much.

DeDe has made an impression on Cincy's staff in the past. Hence the signing. Why did they wait this long to pick him up?

***Cincy RB Dynasty Watch***

Going into 2008 Cincy could be rostering

Rudi Johnson

Kenny Irons

Kenny Watson

DeDe Dorsey

Chris Perry

One or two of these guys will be cut. But geeeeez

His stats for 2007 are probably a bit of an aberration, but I am not sure "reversion to the mean" will bring him back to the levels some people expected of him, even when he is healthy.
I'm confident that, if healthy, Rudi will finish in the Top 10 where he always finishes year in and year out. I've always believed him to be one of the more under-rated RBs in the league and definitely in fantasy. His increased involvement in the passing game this season certainly boded well for his potential production. In Week 1, he faced a tough Ravens' defense which shut him down though he had some strong runs as the game went on. In Week 2, he had a very good game. No complaints from me there. Week 3 was definitely a major shock. I didn't see that coming and I doubt too many other people did given how it was by far the worst game of his career since becoming a starter. I don't see any reason to believe that game was a sign of things to come, just as I don't think the putrid games turned in by Steve Smith and Javon Walker were signs of things to come for them either. All had bad games. It happens. It stinks if you own them but it happens. The only concern I have about Rudi is the hamstring injury. If resting him this week (and next for the bye) means he'll be ready from Week 6 until the end of the season I'll be fine with that. If healthy, I still believe Rudi will be the rock-solid RB1 he's always been. He may not be the flashiest or the sexiest option around but he's pretty damn dependable. He just needs to be healthy in my opinion.

***Bloom Alert***DeDe Dorsey's signing is disconcerning to hopeful Kenny Watson WWrats. Does this mean Rudi's injury is worse than said? Maybe im digging to much. DeDe has made an impression on Cincy's staff in the past. Hence the signing. Why did they wait this long to pick him up? ***Cincy RB Dynasty Watch***Going into 2008 Cincy could be rosteringRudi JohnsonKenny IronsKenny WatsonDeDe DorseyChris PerryOne or two of these guys will be cut. But geeeeez
even if they signed Dorsey, and Rudi doesn't play, he wouldn't have much of an impact this week maybe 5 plays until he's up to speed with the offence

***Bloom Alert***DeDe Dorsey's signing is disconcerning to hopeful Kenny Watson WWrats. Does this mean Rudi's injury is worse than said? Maybe im digging to much. DeDe has made an impression on Cincy's staff in the past. Hence the signing. Why did they wait this long to pick him up? ***Cincy RB Dynasty Watch***Going into 2008 Cincy could be rosteringRudi JohnsonKenny IronsKenny WatsonDeDe DorseyChris PerryOne or two of these guys will be cut. But geeeeez
even if they signed Dorsey, and Rudi doesn't play, he wouldn't have much of an impact this week maybe 5 plays until he's up to speed with the offence
Key point I took away from that post was that Rudi's injury may be worse than we think it is. Yes, he (and I) may be digging too much, but it's food for thought. Doesn't seem like any Cinci RB is a good play this week, but it is concerning that they signed another RB with 1 game left before their bye. Why bother if Rudi was going to be healthy to play in week 6?

Key point I took away from that post was that Rudi's injury may be worse than we think it is. Yes, he (and I) may be digging too much, but it's food for thought. Doesn't seem like any Cinci RB is a good play this week, but it is concerning that they signed another RB with 1 game left before their bye. Why bother if Rudi was going to be healthy to play in week 6?
It's possible they always wanted to bring back Dorsey after he was cut by the Colts but wanted to make sure he was healthy first. Once he was healthy they signed him. That's possibly what happened although I agree that the timing is at least a minor red flag. Again, we'll know more the next 3 days once the Bengals start practicing.

It's possible they always wanted to bring back Dorsey after he was cut by the Colts but wanted to make sure he was healthy first. Once he was healthy they signed him. That's possibly what happened although I agree that the timing is at least a minor red flag. Again, we'll know more the next 3 days once the Bengals start practicing.
Agreed, we'll know more in the next 3 days. But...making a gamble now to grab the right RB in case Rudi is down is what I'd like to do. With Dorsey signed, who do you guys think is the better bet to have value if Rudi isn't able to go for an extended period. Again, not talking about taking an RB for a flash start this coming week. I'm talking about an RB that will have value after the bye, which would give Dorsey close to 3 weeks (same amt of time Rudi has to heal) to learn the offense.

DeDe Dorsey was a Bengal before he was a Colt. So he knows the basics of the offense other than new installations.

2006-May signs with bengal as an undrafted free agent placed on the practice squad.

2006-Aug Bengals tried to put him on practice squad. Colts swooped in and rostered him 2006-2007

2007-Sept cut by colts. Then Signed by Bengals.

Kenny Watson is the lead backup rb. DeDe and Kenny may do the 70/30 thing. Maybe in week 5 Kenny gets 90% of the touches. If Rudi remains out of the lineup, both guys will share the load.

Remember Kenny Irons was the initial backup. Watson fell into the position. Making the situation even cloudier now that Dorsey is back.

I can't tell you who is the better choice without taking a wild guess.

I'm confident that, if healthy, Rudi will finish in the Top 10 where he always finishes year in and year out. I've always believed him to be one of the more under-rated RBs in the league and definitely in fantasy. His increased involvement in the passing game this season certainly boded well for his potential production. In Week 1, he faced a tough Ravens' defense which shut him down though he had some strong runs as the game went on. In Week 2, he had a very good game. No complaints from me there. Week 3 was definitely a major shock. I didn't see that coming and I doubt too many other people did given how it was by far the worst game of his career since becoming a starter. I don't see any reason to believe that game was a sign of things to come, just as I don't think the putrid games turned in by Steve Smith and Javon Walker were signs of things to come for them either. All had bad games. It happens. It stinks if you own them but it happens. The only concern I have about Rudi is the hamstring injury. If resting him this week (and next for the bye) means he'll be ready from Week 6 until the end of the season I'll be fine with that. If healthy, I still believe Rudi will be the rock-solid RB1 he's always been. He may not be the flashiest or the sexiest option around but he's pretty damn dependable. He just needs to be healthy in my opinion.
I think you may be whistling past the graveyard.Rudi's production is in decline.

He had a bad game against Baltimore; no shame in that. He had a good game against Cleveland, but Cleveland's defense is putrid. The Seahawks defense is only slightly less putrid than Cleveland's (Seahawks homer here, FYI) and he was awful before he left with an injury. Small sample size and all, but it doesn't look promising for him.

As a Colts fan and someone who watched how Dorsey ran with great interest in the pre-season, I can honestly say that Dorsey is awful! I know Bloom likes his game, but dorsey ran into the backs of his blockers more than any RB I've laid my eyes on. He looked slow to the hole. Just plain bad!

Good luck in Cincy if Dorsey figures into any offensive plans!

I think you may be whistling past the graveyard.Rudi's production is in decline.

He had a bad game against Baltimore; no shame in that. He had a good game against Cleveland, but Cleveland's defense is putrid. The Seahawks defense is only slightly less putrid than Cleveland's (Seahawks homer here, FYI) and he was awful before he left with an injury. Small sample size and all, but it doesn't look promising for him.
Keep in mind, we know when he left - not when he got hurt. It's possible he got hurt before he actually left the game (he has been known to play through pain - hence his consistency).While I don't disagree that there is support for a slight statistical decline in Rudi's stats over the past few years, I think it's safe to assume that when he returns (which will likely be after the bye) he will continue to put up borderline RB1/strong RB 2 numbers - as he always has - even through injury.

So based on one bad game he's in decline after three straight seasons of Top 10 fantasy finishes? I guess Steve Smith is in decline too given how he was even more pathetic than Rudi was last week. And Javon Walker too. Frank Gore must be done as well since he also had a poor Week 3. Sorry, but I'm not buying it. Maybe Rudi is in decline but I'm going to need more evidence than this for me to buy into that line of thinking given how good he's been and how good he was just two weeks ago. And again, he was running better before he had to leave the game. That's not to say he played well against Seattle (he didn't) but his rushing production was improving and then after he left Watson's went up. So it's very possible that had Rudi not gotten hurt the production Watson got would have been his. Again, the key issue here as far as I'm concerned is the injury. I see no reason to believe Rudi is done based on one bad game. Your mileage may vary and all that.

DeDe Dorsey was a Bengal before he was a Colt. So he knows the basics of the offense other than new installations.

2006-May signs with bengal as an undrafted free agent placed on the practice squad.

2006-Aug Bengals tried to put him on practice squad. Colts swooped in and rostered him 2006-2007

2007-Sept cut by colts. Then Signed by Bengals.

Kenny Watson is the lead backup rb. DeDe and Kenny may do the 70/30 thing. Maybe in week 5 Kenny gets 90% of the touches. If Rudi remains out of the lineup, both guys will share the load.

Remember Kenny Irons was the initial backup. Watson fell into the position. Making the situation even cloudier now that Dorsey is back.

I can't tell you who is the better choice without taking a wild guess.
:thumbup: (psst - Bengals are on a bye in week 5)

Point being - Rudi will likely rest this week, then have the bye. I see him coming back in week 6 without too much trepedation.

Users who are viewing this thread