What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rush Limbaugh to Join ESPN NFL Countdown (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) He's not fat anymore and he's never been an idiot. Those are simple facts.
I think SOMEBODY has a crush!! Sheesh, half this guy's career posts are on this thread, I think.

...which, of course, RL neverdoes... :rolleyes:

ObFootball Content: Actually, the way ESPN plans on using him to stir up debate (see link above), could be very interesting. Still, if you want an argumentative conservative stirring things up, I'd take Bill O'Reilly over Limbaugh any day.
Bill O'Reilly is no Conservative. He's a Populist who leans to the right.And besides that, he's a blowhard who doesn't know what he's talking about much of the time. Rush runs circles around him.

I wouldn't care if "Countdown" added Rush or Al Franken - it's a terrible move.The reason I watch NFL shows is to learn something new or interesting about the game, something that can be uncovered only by an exclusive interview with a player or coach, or by analyzing game films and individual players. That's why I love "NFL Countdown," and it's why I would change the channel when Jerry Glanville popped up on "NFL Today" or Wanda Sykes did her alleged comedy bits on "Inside the NFL." It's why I spend so much time on the boards here - because I know it's full of smart people dedicating their time and energy to helping me learn something new about the NFL.I don't need or want "entertainment" when I watch football. The game itself is entertaining.Also, has anyone here ever actually seen Rush on TV? His humiliating appearance opposite Letterman? His horrific CBS late night show where they had to clear the studio audience while Limbaugh suffered through flop sweat of "Broadcast News" proportions? The guy is not cut out for the tube.
EXACTLY. I can think of 100 other people who would be interesting picks to speak for "the voice of the fan" from the world of politics and entertainment? But the point is this--WE DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT CRAP ON THE SUNDAY PRE-GAME SHOW. Give us the 411 from the guys who are in a position to know it. I am not in the least interested in Rush Limbaugh's (or Bill Cosby's or Chris Matthews' or. . .etc, etc.) weekly "insights" into the game. Who gives a flying hoot???
Betchya a hundred bucks that you won't even be able to tell Rush is a Conservative based on his input into this show. He's THAT good, he really is. He'll separate himself from his political partisainship and do a very good job. Wait and see.

1) He's not fat anymore and he's never been an idiot. Those are simple facts.
I think SOMEBODY has a crush!! Sheesh, half this guy's career posts are on this thread, I think.
It's one of the things I "Know". Sue me.Oh...I've been playing Fantasy Football since 1989 too. I know a little about it too. But I prefer lurking on such a fine board.

I've VOMITED better looking things than Ann Coulter! :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky:
I'm a major fan of Ann Coulter's. And believe it or not, I'll agree with you a BIT...She's not nearly as "Drop-Dead Hot" as many conservatives make her out to be. She's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too skinny. She's got NASTY Olive Oil legs. Her thighs are no bigger than her calves.That being said...She's cute and has a GREAT rack for such a skinny chick.

:crossingfingers:Please bring back the Fox NFL This Morning show of two years ago with Levy, Slater, et al....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Lake City: Al Qeda called....even they think you're an over-zealous extremist!
Really? You make me out to be WORSE than the blood-thirsty crazed muslim terrorists who have murdered well over 3000 American citizens, all in the name of their "God"?Would you care to expand apon that logic, genius?

Really? You make me out to be WORSE than the blood-thirsty crazed muslim terrorists who have murdered well over 3000 American citizens, all in the name of their "God"?Would you care to expand apon that logic, genius?
Gladly. It's what we easy going types call a "joke". For someone who claims to have found a grip on the truth via his demi-God Limbaugh, you sure seem awfully defensive.

Really?  You make me out to be WORSE than the blood-thirsty crazed muslim terrorists who have murdered well over 3000 American citizens, all in the name of their "God"?Would you care to expand apon that logic, genius?
Gladly. It's what we easy going types call a "joke". For someone who claims to have found a grip on the truth via his demi-God Limbaugh, you sure seem awfully defensive.
Not defensive. Just looking for a little clairity. And if that's as clear as you can be, it seems you're as shallow as your jokes.

Some "clarity" for Lake:The comment ["Hey Lake City: Al Qeda called....even they think you're an over-zealous extremist!"] was a use of hyperbole intended to illustrate your apparent infatuation with an ultra-conservative talk show host in a humorous way. You said that I claimed you were "WORSE" than terrorists and that is simply not the case. Both the tone and frequency of your posts on the topic indicate a "zealous" and "extreme" degree of support for Limbaugh and those were the actual words I used to describe it (if you don't believe me, have someone read my original post to you). There is, however, one other possible interpretation of my original comment: Al Qeda actually did call me in order to discuss the nature of your posts after coming across them on a fantasy football message board. I assumed most people would reasonably conclude that it was a joke - apparently I was wrong.

I like politics as much as fantasy football. And I'm also a fan of Rush Limbaugh (Would you care to define "Ultra-Conservative" and how it differs from "Conservative"??). So, I participated in this thread with vigor and what insight I could provide...As any fan would.For that, you made jokes about terrorists and compared them to me.I assume you know what you can do with your tasteless jokes and comparisions?And by the way, it's Al Qaeda.

Still, if you want an argumentative conservative stirring things up, I'd take Bill O'Reilly over Limbaugh any day.
Abrecher - 2 things, one important, one not:First the unimportant: O'Reilly is not a conservative, he's a moderate. (i.e. anti-gun, anti-capital punishment) But you are right about one thing... the man is definitely argumentative!Now the important: MBSL2 has started the first round... but I think they were looking for you to roll? Sorry if you are already aware, I just saw your post and figured I'd let you know.

The only thing that sucks about the news I've read on this thread is that I've found out that Michael Irvin is joining the crew???What a TOTAL and COMPLETE waste of airtime. The guy's a mumbling FOOL!!Ugh!(And this coming from a Cowboys fan).
Well since Irvin actually played the game at a pro bowl level I think his 'mumblings' will add more to the show than anything Limbaugh might have to say.

I wouldn't care if "Countdown" added Rush or Al Franken - it's a terrible move.The reason I watch NFL shows is to learn something new or interesting about the game, something that can be uncovered only by an exclusive interview with a player or coach, or by analyzing game films and individual players. That's why I love "NFL Countdown," and it's why I would change the channel when Jerry Glanville popped up on "NFL Today" or Wanda Sykes did her alleged comedy bits on "Inside the NFL." It's why I spend so much time on the boards here - because I know it's full of smart people dedicating their time and energy to helping me learn something new about the NFL.I don't need or want "entertainment" when I watch football. The game itself is entertaining.
I agree with this post.Hopefully Bradshaw and Long's show will be enough to get me through the season.This is a dark day for NFL pregame shows... :no: :thumbdown:
I agree also.I hated Dennis Miller on MNF for the same reason. And who is the "common fan?" I don't care about the common fan. I want Ron Jaworski (sp?) type analysis. I want plays broken down. I want to see who is blowing coverages. I want to hear about offensive line blocking schemes. I want a good analysis from a football perspective, not some fluff for the "common fan."And what about Rush's hearing? Is that all fixed now?

The only thing that sucks about the news I've read on this thread is that I've found out that Michael Irvin is joining the crew???What a TOTAL and COMPLETE waste of airtime. The guy's a mumbling FOOL!!Ugh!(And this coming from a Cowboys fan).
Well since Irvin actually played the game at a pro bowl level I think his 'mumblings' will add more to the show than anything Limbaugh might have to say.
By your logic Irvin will be better than Chris Mortenson? Chris Berman? Any number of other commentators who've "Never played the game"??Please...Spare me the obvious "How can I bash Limbaugh" stretch. It was weak.Irvin is a mumbling self-promoter. He will fail. He was even too low budget for that Fox sports channel show he was on. I SERIOUSLY hope they don't think he'll be able to fill Sterling's shoes...He won't even come close.

I like politics as much as fantasy football. And I'm also a fan of Rush Limbaugh (Would you care to define "Ultra-Conservative" and how it differs from "Conservative"??). So, I participated in this thread with vigor and what insight I could provide...As any fan would.

We're still waiting on the "insight" portion of the program...

For that, you made jokes about terrorists and compared them to me.

The comparison part was true enough, but the joke was actually made about you.

I assume you know what you can do with your tasteless jokes and comparisions?

Enjoy them at my leisure?

And by the way, it's Al Qaeda.

This from a guy who used "Not defensive" as a complete sentence a few posts ago. (The entire post had 2 1/2 sentences and, as you can see above, required editing.) Sorry, guess I need to brush up on my Middle-Eastern spelling.

I wouldn't care if "Countdown" added Rush or Al Franken - it's a terrible move.The reason I watch NFL shows is to learn something new or interesting about the game, something that can be uncovered only by an exclusive interview with a player or coach, or by analyzing game films and individual players. That's why I love "NFL Countdown," and it's why I would change the channel when Jerry Glanville popped up on "NFL Today" or Wanda Sykes did her alleged comedy bits on "Inside the NFL." It's why I spend so much time on the boards here - because I know it's full of smart people dedicating their time and energy to helping me learn something new about the NFL.I don't need or want "entertainment" when I watch football. The game itself is entertaining.
I agree with this post.Hopefully Bradshaw and Long's show will be enough to get me through the season.This is a dark day for NFL pregame shows... :no: :thumbdown:
I agree also.I hated Dennis Miller on MNF for the same reason. And who is the "common fan?" I don't care about the common fan. I want Ron Jaworski (sp?) type analysis. I want plays broken down. I want to see who is blowing coverages. I want to hear about offensive line blocking schemes. I want a good analysis from a football perspective, not some fluff for the "common fan."And what about Rush's hearing? Is that all fixed now?
Two things...Limbaugh is doing something completely different from Miller. (Did you know he's been talking to these guys for 10 years looking for the right fit/opportunity??)Miller took away from the action on the field. Hopefully, Limbaugh will add to the pre-game show by asking questions you or I might ask. It won't be "Fluff". He's really a huge and astute fan.Rush got a cochlear inplant. It's something they put inside your skull and attach it to your brain. You wear a transmitter that changes sound to a series of electronic signals. Those signals are then perceived by the deaf person as close to reality. Of course music is never the same...Not even close, and some people sound odd but for the most part he's gained his hearing back. I believe he's classified as clinicaly deaf. Quite the invention.

I like politics as much as fantasy football. And I'm also a fan of Rush Limbaugh (Would you care to define "Ultra-Conservative" and how it differs from "Conservative"??). So, I participated in this thread with vigor and what insight I could provide...As any fan would.

This from a guy who used "Not defensive" as a complete sentence a few posts ago. (The entire post had 2 1/2 sentences and, as you can see above, required editing.) Sorry, guess I need to brush up on my Middle-Eastern spelling.
What is your problem??? Go crap on someone elses input. You bore me, punk.

What is your problem??? Go crap on someone elses input. You bore me, punk.
:)

(Iceman03 @ Jul 14 2003, 01:09 PM) Rush Limbaugh IS a big fat idiot.
Another brilliant intellectual attack from the left... :wall: :wall:
Just wanted to say that Bill Maher is one of the dumbest human beings to ever grace the planet.
skinsfan24 Posted: Jul 14 2003, 12:24 PM And here's one from the right.

Great, just what we need, another right wing extremist, pushing his views, even with a hobby like football. I'm still looking for the Picture with Limbaugh and Falwell, can't remember who's on top. :wall: As far as Bill Maher, he's got more intelligence in his 'waste' than Rush. *Good Grief* :eek:

As far as Limbaugh goes, I won't pass judgement but it reeks of another gimmick by ESPN suits who don't realize that what was the main draw of the show was NFL insight, not the Jimmy Kimmel or Wanda Sykes' of the world. So they are trying to go out and have their own "gimmick."I'm not passing judgement on whether it works or not. I just can't imagine, however, that with a new audience Rush won't take every opportunity to bash liberals. Hopefully, I'm wrong and he will bring the everyday fan's perspective on the Countdown. The first time, however, he brings politics into the debate, NFL Countdown will have lost my viewership. I don't need to hear politics Sunday mornings. I need to hear football!!!

:thumbup: As a Big RUSH FAN; a member of NRC & NRA plus having met RL on the set of his TV show, I do not beleive that he adds any value other than a laugh or two. Beleive that most of us watch these shows to pickup some inside news and add to our sports information. As much as I beleive that RUSH is a light in the darkest of the left; can not see him on the show other than to help the ratings......! :thumbdown:

Just going out on a limb here. But, I'm guessing 98% of everyone posting against the move towards Rush have never heard his radio show, let alone his football commentaries. He's no Dennis Miller, let's put it that way. And, that's a good thing. And, I like D-Miller--just not in the MNF format, that's all. Rush is awesome when he talks pigskin. I swear. My lib friends even say they like listening to him when he gets onto sports (and football, specifically). You listen to him, and he never makes a political-football cocktail--it's just one or the other.That said, will he add much to the show? Over and above anyone else they could've picked? Probably not. Won't be the embarrassment or as uncomfortable as the DM experiment. He's just another voice.And, duh...of course this is about gaining viewership. Rush will bring in 487 bazillion new viewers who are clamoring to see him. It's a no-brainer. Welcome to the world of competitive daytime tv on fall Sundays. I'll say this: At least the guy knows his shi t. If he didn't, this'd be sorry. But, he won't disappoint. Only the 98% who've never heard him, have a reflexive acid reflux reaction to anything hinting of conservatism, and hate all that is republican, will gag on this. Otherwise, it's still a stupid tv show that's fun to watch. And, there's just a new guy.I think the world will still be spinning on its axis come September.

Just going out on a limb here. But, I'm guessing 98% of everyone posting against the move towards Rush have never heard his radio show, let alone his football commentaries. He's no Dennis Miller, let's put it that way. And, that's a good thing. And, I like D-Miller--just not in the MNF format, that's all. Rush is awesome when he talks pigskin. I swear. My lib friends even say they like listening to him when he gets onto sports (and football, specifically). You listen to him, and he never makes a political-football cocktail--it's just one or the other.That said, will he add much to the show? Over and above anyone else they could've picked? Probably not. Won't be the embarrassment or as uncomfortable as the DM experiment. He's just another voice.And, duh...of course this is about gaining viewership. Rush will bring in 487 bazillion new viewers who are clamoring to see him. It's a no-brainer. Welcome to the world of competitive daytime tv on fall Sundays. I'll say this: At least the guy knows his shi t. If he didn't, this'd be sorry. But, he won't disappoint. Only the 98% who've never heard him, have a reflexive acid reflux reaction to anything hinting of conservatism, and hate all that is republican, will gag on this. Otherwise, it's still a stupid tv show that's fun to watch. And, there's just a new guy.I think the world will still be spinning on its axis come September.
Final someone with their head on straight.. Dead on. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The only thing that sucks about the news I've read on this thread is that I've found out that Michael Irvin is joining the crew???What a TOTAL and COMPLETE waste of airtime.  The guy's a mumbling FOOL!!Ugh!(And this coming from a Cowboys fan).
By your logic Irvin will be better than Chris Mortenson? Chris Berman? Any number of other commentators who've "Never played the game"??Please...Spare me the obvious "How can I bash Limbaugh" stretch. It was weak.Irvin is a mumbling self-promoter. He will fail. He was even too low budget for that Fox sports channel show he was on. I SERIOUSLY hope they don't think he'll be able to fill Sterling's shoes...He won't even come close.
No! What's weak is you trying to compare Limbaugh to Mort and Berman.Both of those guys have been covering the NFL for several years and have earned the reputation as being creditable NFL analysts.While Irvin may not be the smoothest person infront of the camera, there can be little doubt that he knows what he is talking about as far as the NFL is concerned.So I stand by my statement Irvin's mumblings will add more to the show than anything that Limbaugh might have to add

Rush has always defended his many lies and inaccuracies by claiming not to be a journalist, but an entertainer. That being said, as someone who has never been a fan of Limbaugh's, I have to say that this whole thing really doesn't bother me.As long as Rush keeps his observations to football, I think that's fine. What I would hate to see is for anyone trying to politicize the sport. Football doesn't need that.

What's weak is you trying to compare Limbaugh to Mort and Berman.Both of those guys have been covering the NFL for several years and have earned the reputation as being creditable NFL analysts.
Berman is horrible. Does this guy add anything? Watching him cover the draft this year was tragic. His nickname thing was old 10 years ago and like Jim Grey he must have nude photos of someone.

To follow up on my earlier post and to get the thread back to a discussion of Limbaugh's "gifts"as an NFL analyst, after the Patriots won the Super Bowl, Limbaugh said on his radio show that "a lot of people are impressed with the fact that the Patriots are socialists." He was referring to the team's surprising decision to forego the traditional introductions of individual team members. The Patriots instead opted to be introduced as a team. While most football fans applauded this show of team spirit and subordination of egos to the common good, Rush stated "I'm not going to get sucked into this feel-good, do-good, left-wing, socio-economic thing that tries to take away the individuality of the people on the team. . ." No doubt more thoughful gems like this await us on ESPN Countdown.As for Ann Coulter, I find it hard to believe anyone takes this psycho seriously. How about this delightful quote from her recent factually challenged book: “The principal difference between fifth columnists in the cold war versus the war on terrorism is that you could sit next to a communist in a subway without asphyxiating.” Nice blatant bigotry towards all Arabs/Muslims.

Limbaugh is doing something completely different from Miller. (Did you know he's been talking to these guys for 10 years looking for the right fit/opportunity??)Miller took away from the action on the field. Hopefully, Limbaugh will add to the pre-game show by asking questions you or I might ask. It won't be "Fluff". He's really a huge and astute fan.
No, no, NO he isn't--Limbaugh is doing EXACTLY what Miller was doing. They each may have their own style, but Miller was brought into MNF "to give the fan's view." So is the stated purpose of bringing on Limbaugh. Different style? Sure. Different goal? Nope.And here's the real kicker--your assertion that Limbaugh is "really a huge and astute fan." So WHAT? That gives him some sort of special hall-pass to be qualified to be on an NFL pre-game show? I am a really huge and astute fan of football. So are you. So are all my fantasy football buddies. So why should I really give a crap about what RL has to say, any more than my buddies that I'll talk about football with at the office? The only qualifier is that "he is famous." Big deal. I will have as much interest in hearing his "astute" insights on Sundays as the guys I work with. I wouldn't tune in to hear them, and I won't tune in to hear him, either.

Irvin is a punk off the ghetto streets that played the game well, but speaks with a 6th grade vocabulary and has the speaking ability of a street corner derelict. Sterling Sharpe was well spoken, knowledgable and had the ability to express himself in a manner that even the most casual of football fans could understand.This, IMHO, is a disasterous move for ESPN. Some idiot somewhere thought we needed less insight and more...how do they say... "bling-bling" . I'm not totally sure but I think that means shallow and substance-less presentation of elementary thought processes.....Unless that substance is coke, then you have michaels full attention! :rolleyes:

Sharpe is gone?! :shock: That's terrible! Did they get rid of him or did he just decide to move on? As for Rush, well, I see a lot of similarities between his brand of politics and football. Rush is a sworn "republican", and to be honest there is zero difference between democrats and republicans. They both are making government bigger and bigger (when was the last time a republican cut a government program?) and taxing you to the hilt. Both parties promise to cut taxes and government to get elected (see Clinton and his promised middle-class tax cut, or FDR and his promise to cut the bloated government expansion under Hoover, or Bush and his no-new-taxes pledge) but in the end they break their promise and do the opposite. People keep getting suckered in over and over. This time they mean it! Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. If Bush gets re-elected, he will jack up taxes. I know that because they all do it. Even Reagan jacked up taxes in his second term. Bush II is just waiting four years to do it, unlike his father. So what I'm saying is, because there is no difference between the two major parties it becomes a similar exercise to rooting for a football team because you like the colors.

"And.. oh god, please don't mention Ann Coulter. She is completely brainless. Gets laughed out of the studio by the audience on a regular basis on Bill Maher's show"Brainless? Hmmmm, how many books have YOU had published?
Hasn't Dennis Rodman had roughly the same # of books published as Ann Coulter? So she DOES have an intellectual equal out there.

Sterling Sharpe was well spoken, knowledgable and had the ability to express himself in a manner that even the most casual of football fans could understand.
I liked Sharpe too. At times. Most of the time, even. But, damn, did every analysis of his have to include some mention of how great he and his brother were/are?Sounds to me like this was more a matter of Sterling's popularity on the set than it was ESPN's opinion of his popularity in the living rooms. Heard from a number of places how he wore on people. And, you know, now that I think of it, I think those "people" could have included Tom Jackson, and that's it. I'm sure there were a few more less enamored with Sharpe, but I think TJ couldn't stand the guy. He was always getting cut off by Sterling, who needed to get it in one more time just how great it was. Pretty funny to watch, actually, because I swore those two looked like they wanted to rumble more than once.Oh well...just bring on the damn football season. That's all that really matters, anyway.

Both parties promise to cut taxes and government to get elected (see Clinton and his promised middle-class tax cut, or FDR and his promise to cut the bloated government expansion under Hoover, or Bush and his no-new-taxes pledge) but in the end they break their promise and do the opposite. People keep getting suckered in over and over. This time they mean it! Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. If Bush gets re-elected, he will jack up taxes. I know that because they all do it. Even Reagan jacked up taxes in his second term. Bush II is just waiting four years to do it, unlike his father. So what I'm saying is, because there is no difference between the two major parties it becomes a similar exercise to rooting for a football team because you like the colors.
You don't have any idea what you're talking about.

I am a really huge and astute fan of football. So are you. So are all my fantasy football buddies. So why should I really give a crap about what RL has to say, any more than my buddies that I'll talk about football with at the office? The only qualifier is that "he is famous."
Well that and the small fact that he's a proven success as a professional commentator who's built a business based on informing his 20 million listeners on 600 radio stations of the latest events.But other than that, yeah...He's just like you and me.

WTF is this?!A conservative that is NOT spewing their typical wrong-wing oral swill?!Could this be a welcome trend AWAY from the boring jackboot-style rhetoric so commonly used and enjoyed by wrong-wing militants (aka conservatives)?You go girl! :thumbup:

Both parties promise to cut taxes and government to get elected (see Clinton and his promised middle-class tax cut, or FDR and his promise to cut the bloated government expansion under Hoover, or Bush and his no-new-taxes pledge) but in the end they break their promise and do the opposite. People keep getting suckered in over and over. This time they mean it! Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. If Bush gets re-elected, he will jack up taxes. I know that because they all do it. Even Reagan jacked up taxes in his second term. Bush II is just waiting four years to do it, unlike his father. So what I'm saying is, because there is no difference between the two major parties it becomes a similar exercise to rooting for a football team because you like the colors.
Now THERE's a rebuttal of astronomical magnitude! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Both parties promise to cut taxes and government to get elected (see Clinton and his promised middle-class tax cut, or FDR and his promise to cut the bloated government expansion under Hoover, or Bush and his no-new-taxes pledge) but in the end they break their promise and do the opposite.  People keep getting suckered in over and over.  This time they mean it! Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.  If Bush gets re-elected, he will jack up taxes.  I know that because they all do it.  Even Reagan jacked up taxes in his second term.  Bush II is just waiting four years to do it, unlike his father. So what I'm saying is, because there is no difference between the two major parties it becomes a similar exercise to rooting for a football team because you like the colors.
Now THERE's a rebuttal of astronomical magnitude! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Are you saying I'm wrong? That's what I am saying to him.(And by the way...Your comments to me are in the EXACT same vein as my comments to him...In other words, your hypocrisy is, what you call, astronomical.)

Fellas,Can't we all just get along?? Fox has the best pregame show anyway. Injuries, weather, and other things you should know are constantly scrolling at the bottom of the screen, plus you get Jillian to stare at every 15 minutes! Terry and those guys are horrible, but who is listening to them anyway. Have your friends come over early. Go buy beer. Try tailgaiting. My point is, Rush on ESPN should not take up 3 pages on a Fantasy football message board. Who cares??!!?? IF these producers wanted to put a guy on that the fans could relate to, why not one of us? Anyone of us knows more about football than any "personality" they throw up there. That should be the real argument here! :football:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread