What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (1 Viewer)

I believe the Texans are all over this kid. O'Brien knows the price and he has a great relationship with the Patriots to make this deal happen. But if he tips his hand now the other people behind them in the draft will know what they are up to for certain and will be inclined to offer less for the first pick as I think the Texans will still look to trade down in a deep draft if they can get great value.

But in all seriousness would you rather have Clowney and Mallett or one of the Top 3 QB prospects and not get Clowney? OR trade down to 1.8 in a flip with the Vikings and get more picks and still get Mallett for a 4th too? Thats what he will go for since the Vikings won't need a QB now and a 4th is all they could get. $th is nice value in a deep draft, they don't trade him they will get nothing. Writing is on the wall if you are a fan or not.
I've said all along that the Texans would be stupid not to get Clowney and Mallett. Clowney is a once in a generation player and IMO Mallett at the very least will be serviceable.
I agree with you both.

BUT... we're forgetting the Pats are basically guaranteed a third if they keep Mallet through this year, you know... compensatory picks and all. They'll probably be the first team in history to net a compensatory second!
Don't be mad because you were wrong. It happens to lots of people.

So what does NE do if something happens to Brady?

The Cutler/McCown example makes Mallett even more valuable to the Pats; the backup QB is not a useless position for them, they take it very seriously.

The Cutler/McCown example makes Mallett even more valuable to the Pats; the backup QB is not a useless position for them, they take it very seriously.
Couldn't agree more. They will however be in the market for a backup next year and they know it, so why not bring in a new one now?

I believe the Texans are all over this kid. O'Brien knows the price and he has a great relationship with the Patriots to make this deal happen. But if he tips his hand now the other people behind them in the draft will know what they are up to for certain and will be inclined to offer less for the first pick as I think the Texans will still look to trade down in a deep draft if they can get great value.

But in all seriousness would you rather have Clowney and Mallett or one of the Top 3 QB prospects and not get Clowney? OR trade down to 1.8 in a flip with the Vikings and get more picks and still get Mallett for a 4th too? Thats what he will go for since the Vikings won't need a QB now and a 4th is all they could get. $th is nice value in a deep draft, they don't trade him they will get nothing. Writing is on the wall if you are a fan or not.
I've said all along that the Texans would be stupid not to get Clowney and Mallett. Clowney is a once in a generation player and IMO Mallett at the very least will be serviceable.
I agree with you both.

BUT... we're forgetting the Pats are basically guaranteed a third if they keep Mallet through this year, you know... compensatory picks and all. They'll probably be the first team in history to net a compensatory second!
I'm not wrong because I stopped arguing with a fence post. Evidently there's a bit of a reputation with said fence post.

Couldn't agree more. They will however be in the market for a backup next year and they know it, so why not bring in a new one now?
Sure it does you lose your backup next year for nothing or you get something for your backup and get a new one this year. So they will sign someone like Matt Cassel.

I addressed that thought earlier….

I like Mallet and I hope he stays on the Pats. I don't want them to trade a QB that is competent and knows the system/team this close to Brady's senescence. I don't think a trade makes sense, unless it's for a high pick (which IMO is doubtful).
Brady's signed through 2017 with a cap hit that remains relatively unchanged each year (between $14-15MM). With the way the NFL is today, doesn't seem likely that QBs are in a ton of danger, especially the smart ones like Brady and Manning who know how to avoid hits.

If you're Ryan Mallet, you can re-sign for back-up money, hoping Brady actually hangs them up in 2017-18, and then potentially you get your shot at that point, perhaps with a team in cap hell from making runs in the next few years while the window is open with Brady. OR, when you're a FA after this season, you go sign elsewhere with a shot at starter's money and a chance to make a name for yourself. Which would you choose?

Mallet has very little incentive to sit behind Brady until 2018, at which point he'll be pushing 30 (he'll start this year at 26). And what's to say the Pats actually give him a shot then instead of drafting a younger, cost-controlled player?

Either the Pats cash in this offseason for a 2nd or 3rd+, or they believe the value of having a back-up to Brady familiar with the system is sufficient utility for letting Mallet walk and hoping they net a mid-late round pick from the NFL.
The Pats aren't stupid… they're just not a dumb franchise. They're either going to cash in this offseason and trade him to the highest bidder, OR they believe he's worth more to them as a backup this year, EVEN IF THEY GET NOTHING. I don't see any way Mallet chooses to return to NE as a free agent unless they grossly overpay him (they won't), or unless Brady hangs them up after this year (highly unlikely).

The compensatory system is a complete crapshoot, contrary to what the fence post seems to believe. I'm not making this argument again, but there's way too many moving parts for them to depend on anything from the compensatory system. Period.

I agree with you both.

I'm not wrong because I stopped arguing with a fence post. Evidently there's a bit of a reputation with said fence post.
Cool. So instead you make dainty passive-aggressive posts that indirectly address me. That's an adult way of arguing.

Is there any possibility the Patriots think of Mallett as the heir at quarterback?

After all, if Tom Brady can become one of the most overrated QBs of all time, what's stopping Mallet from doing the same thing?

does not make sense
Step 1: Trade Mallett for a 3rd (or 2nd if they can get it)

Step 2: Draft a QB late to be the backup

Step 3: Profit?

This Pats team isn't going anywhere without Brady - Mallett or not.

Is there any possibility the Patriots think of Mallett as the heir at quarterback?

After all, if Tom Brady can become one of the most overrated QBs of all time, what's stopping Mallet from doing the same thing?
Until Tom Brady is out of the league, he will always be an elite NFL QB. Maybe overrated in fantasy, but in the NFL, this guy is one of the best regardless of his critics.

Your better posts are the ones in the dynasty trade discussion thread. You know, the ones where you ask for trade advice.

Your better posts are the ones in the dynasty trade discussion thread. You know, the ones where you ask for trade advice.
Easy there. If they hang onto Mallett this year, NE is going to find itself in almost exactly the same situation as GB did with Favre/Rodgers when Rodgers' rookie contract was expiring. If you'll remember back then, Favre still had what looked to be 3 to 4 years left on a record setting HOF career and Rodgers' reputation was that he was injury prone and didn't have experience. That didn't stop GB from choosing Rodgers as their guy and letting Favre move on.

I agree that right now NE following a similar course of action is remote, but no one here that I know of is on NE's staff or management team. Mallett now, like Rodgers then, had shown some exceptional ability at the college level even though there wasn't much of a pro resume. Brady's level of play, while still very high, does look to be deteriorating as he is getting up in age.

So while I agree that the possibility is remote, it is not unprecedented. And NE seems as dedicated to long term success as GB is and will follow what they believe is best for the team rather than what is best for one player even if it is contrary to consensus opinion among fans, so while admittedly remote it IMO should not just be dismissed as utter nonsense.

Easy there. If they hang onto Mallett this year, NE is going to find itself in almost exactly the same situation as GB did with Favre/Rodgers when Rodgers' rookie contract was expiring. If you'll remember back then, Favre still had what looked to be 3 to 4 years left on a record setting HOF career and Rodgers' reputation was that he was injury prone and didn't have experience. That didn't stop GB from choosing Rodgers as their guy and letting Favre move on.

I agree that right now NE following a similar course of action is remote, but no one here that I know of is on NE's staff or management team. Mallett now, like Rodgers then, had shown some exceptional ability at the college level even though there wasn't much of a pro resume. Brady's level of play, while still very high, does look to be deteriorating as he is getting up in age.

So while I agree that the possibility is remote, it is not unprecedented. And NE seems as dedicated to long term success as GB is and will follow what they believe is best for the team rather than what is best for one player even if it is contrary to consensus opinion among fans, so while admittedly remote it IMO should not just be dismissed as utter nonsense.
I apologize if I am wrong but didn't Favre retire and then try to come back? Brady has no intentions on retiring.

Easy there. If they hang onto Mallett this year, NE is going to find itself in almost exactly the same situation as GB did with Favre/Rodgers when Rodgers' rookie contract was expiring. If you'll remember back then, Favre still had what looked to be 3 to 4 years left on a record setting HOF career and Rodgers' reputation was that he was injury prone and didn't have experience. That didn't stop GB from choosing Rodgers as their guy and letting Favre move on.I agree that right now NE following a similar course of action is remote, but no one here that I know of is on NE's staff or management team. Mallett now, like Rodgers then, had shown some exceptional ability at the college level even though there wasn't much of a pro resume. Brady's level of play, while still very high, does look to be deteriorating as he is getting up in age.

I apologize if I am wrong but didn't Favre retire and then try to come back? Brady has no intentions on retiring.
I believe that had to do with the gamesmanship in Favre's effort to play for MIN than it did in GB's decision to choose Rodgers over Favre. Favre's "retirement" was pretty widely known to not be a true effort by Favre to walk away from the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Bay also had a first round pick invested in Rodgers. I doubt that Mallett is as talented as Rodgers. Rodgers looked great in what wasn't much game time but I'm sure they felt pretty comfortable with what they saw in practice, preseason and the offseason as well. I don't know the Patriots see the same things in Mallett and I don't know that the Patriots feel they can't afford to let Mallett leave. I just don't think the comparison is very much like Green Bay at all.

Easy there. If they hang onto Mallett this year, NE is going to find itself in almost exactly the same situation as GB did with Favre/Rodgers when Rodgers' rookie contract was expiring. If you'll remember back then, Favre still had what looked to be 3 to 4 years left on a record setting HOF career and Rodgers' reputation was that he was injury prone and didn't have experience. That didn't stop GB from choosing Rodgers as their guy and letting Favre move on.I agree that right now NE following a similar course of action is remote, but no one here that I know of is on NE's staff or management team. Mallett now, like Rodgers then, had shown some exceptional ability at the college level even though there wasn't much of a pro resume. Brady's level of play, while still very high, does look to be deteriorating as he is getting up in age.

Green Bay also had a first round pick invested in Rodgers. I doubt that Mallett is as talented as Rodgers. Rodgers looked great in what wasn't much game time but I'm sure they felt pretty comfortable with what they saw in practice, preseason and the offseason as well. I don't know the Patriots see the same things in Mallett and I don't know that the Patriots feel they can't afford to let Mallett leave. I just don't think the comparison is very much like Green Bay at all.
Both Rodgers and Mallett plummeted in the draft when considering the talent they showed in college - albeit for different reasons and with Mallett's character concerns probably causing a further fall. Figure one could make a reasonable argument that had Mallett not had the coachability and off field questions he would have gone in right around the same draft slot Rodgers did. Right now no one knows what NE thinks of Mallett's future. As as I stated earlier, the possibility is admittedly remote - I'm not arguing this is a likely course of events - but maybe shouldn't dismissed entirely.

I will go out on a limb to say that if Mallett were to be traded, Tim Tebow may be back with the Patriots.

I will reitereate my expectation of 600-800 point range on the trade value chart as the asking price for Mallett.

womb said:
I will go out on a limb to say that if Mallett were to be traded, Tim Tebow may be back with the Patriots.

I will reitereate my expectation of 600-800 point range on the trade value chart as the asking price for Mallett.
You are on some serious drugs man. Pm me your dealer's #.

This seems like a totally unnecessary thing to do. He could only break even or lose by participating in this. Why Ryan??? Why??????
It shows confidence.

Mallett's performance was described as simply "OK" from a source who attended the workout. Mallett's time in the NFL has not translated into a better build. He remains gangly and looked "weak physically." Despite his less-than-ideal build, Mallett remains a talented thrower. His most impressive passes on the day, according to the source, were deep outs and go routes -- two of the more valued throws in today's NFL.

For some odd reason I can't paste in here or I'd post the link but ProFootballCentral sent out some tweets in the last hour saying the Texans are pushing hard for Mallett and that of course makes a lot of sense.

For some odd reason I can't paste in here or I'd post the link but ProFootballCentral sent out some tweets in the last hour saying the Texans are pushing hard for Mallett and that of course makes a lot of sense.
Interesting, gotta love the rumor-mill...some local radio guys who know O'Brien have said they think he would like a more traditional drop-back QB which Mallet is...they also thought Cassel maybe in play as a stopgap QB but he is off the board now...

Would the Texns invest 2.01 in Mallet though? Don't see Bill Belichick giving a homeboy discount...

Would the Texns invest 2.01 in Mallet though? Don't see Bill Belichick giving a homeboy discount...
BB wants to get something for him, he's not going to let him walk and get nothing. An early 3rd and maybe a conditional pick is what I think he's worth.

That same website that said the Texans were interested sent out a tweet later saying the Patriots did in fact want pick 33 and that was leading to snag with the Texans not wanting to give that pick but trying other ways to sweeten the pot.

FWIW-I don't know anything about this website and just started following them on twitter today so I can't speak for their track record. For various reasons they have a degree of credibility about them so I'll give them a little benefit of doubt and realize this is rumor time and even the best insider NFL people whiff a lot.

This same website threw out another juicy NE related tweet in the past few hours saying Nicks is very interested in playing for NE on a one year prove it deal. We'll see.

cstu said:
msommer said:
BB wants to get something for him, he's not going to let him walk and get nothing. An early 3rd and maybe a conditional pick is what I think he's worth.
What he is getting for him in a non trade scenario is a back up QB they are familiar with on a good contract. That is worth a lot.

cstu said:
msommer said:
I would love to see them get the 3.01 for him, if they got anything on top of that it would be gravy afaic.

From Rotoworld

Ryan Mallett - QB - Patriots

The Houston Chronicle reports the Texans "won't be trading for" QB Ryan Mallett.

Beat writer John McClain is on top of everything Texans. While the dots connect between Mallett and Houston coach Bill O'Brien, Mallett still means a lot to the Patriots as Tom Brady's backup. The Texans have numerous holes to fill and aren't going to deal significant draft pick compensation for a quarterback who has attempted just four career passes and remains an unknown throughout the league. McClain thinks Cleveland's Brian Hoyer would make a better trade target.

Related: Brian Hoyer, Texans

Source: John McClain on Twitter Mar 9 - 11:19 AM

From Rotoworld

The Houston Chronicle reports the Texans "won't be trading for" QB Ryan Mallett.

Beat writer John McClain is on top of everything Texans. While the dots connect between Mallett and Houston coach Bill O'Brien, Mallett still means a lot to the Patriots as Tom Brady's backup. The Texans have numerous holes to fill and aren't going to deal significant draft pick compensation for a quarterback who has attempted just four career passes and remains an unknown throughout the league. McClain thinks Cleveland's Brian Hoyer would make a better trade target.

I really hate when people tweet or report stuff like this. Do they not realize that quarterback is also one the teams major holes? Do they not realize that the Texans may use the number 1 overall pick on a quarterback? Is that not a significant draft pick? Do they not realize that anyone they draft has thrown exactly 0 passes in the NFL?

I am not saying they should or shouldn't trade for Mallet, but their logic on why they shouldn't is stupid to put is nicely.

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL Follow

I told you last week Texans wouldn't be signing Matt Cassel. And they won't be trading for Ryan Mallett, either.

8:11 AM - 9 Mar 2014
I love McClain but something doesn't smell right.

(By roto) he says it won't be Cassell or Mallett, but I swear he said on the radio Brian Hoyer was more likely. To me that signifies that there is some air of hmm we might add a (former) pats QB and he's picking which.

He mentioned Hoyer in an article too.

I'm really torn on respecting McClain and what's a smokescreen.

I'll try and find the article

Oh missed it, post above by Boone roto quote "The Texans have numerous holes to fill and aren't going to deal significant draft pick compensation for a quarterback who has attempted just four career passes and remains an unknown throughout the league. McClain thinks Cleveland's Brian Hoyer would make a better trade target."

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL Follow

I told you last week Texans wouldn't be signing Matt Cassel. And they won't be trading for Ryan Mallett, either.

8:11 AM - 9 Mar 2014
I love McClain but something doesn't smell right.

(By roto) he says it won't be Cassell or Mallett, but I swear he said on the radio Brian Hoyer was more likely. To me that signifies that there is some air of hmm we might add a (former) pats QB and he's picking which.

He mentioned Hoyer in an article too.

I'm really torn on respecting McClain and what's a smokescreen.

I'll try and find the article
I don't know much about McClain other than hearing Texans fans complain about his negativity.

It is interesting that he is picking one Pats QB over another, although Hoyer comes at a much lower price.

From Rotoworld

I really hate when people tweet or report stuff like this. Do they not realize that quarterback is also one the teams major holes? Do they not realize that the Texans may use the number 1 overall pick on a quarterback? Is that not a significant draft pick? Do they not realize that anyone they draft has thrown exactly 0 passes in the NFL?

I am not saying they should or shouldn't trade for Mallet, but their logic on why they shouldn't is stupid to put is nicely.
John McClain is a redneck's redneck. You can practically hear banjos playing when he talks. I wouldn't believe anything he says.

From Rotoworld

Your hint that McClain is NOT the connected eyes and ears of the Texans is how often that rotoworld, florio, etc has to tell us that he is the guy to listen to concerning Texans news. have you noticed that there no other Houston newspaper writer who ever says anything about the Texans? that's because he literally is the only game in town because Houston was the first (still that way) really large city with only one major newspaper.

cstu said:
I'm really surprised the Cardinals aren't going after Mallett with the 2.20. They could save $3.1M this year by cutting Kolb.
Kolb plays for the Bills
Weird thing is that I looked it his salary and didn't even see the big Bills logo next to his name.

Stanton is making $2M but they'd take a $1.3M cap hit.

Alfred Breer mentioned several weeks ago that one team would have given their top QB grade to Zack Mettenberger if he hadn't tore his ACL. At the time, I was thinking it was the Patriots because he has a similarites to Mallet and Brady in terms of being a tall pocket passer. Now start to think it could be the Texans.

cstu said:
I'm really surprised the Cardinals aren't going after Mallett with the 2.20. They could save $3.1M this year by cutting Kolb.
Kolb plays for the Bills
Weird thing is that I looked it his salary and didn't even see the big Bills logo next to his name.

Stanton is making $2M but they'd take a $1.3M cap hit.
I have been fooled many times this offseason by salaries. Some sites need better researchers because I'm incorrectly believing what I see.

I like Mallet more than a lot of QB's who have been selected in the top 2 rounds these past few years but I'd still not part with anything more than a 4th rounder for him this season.

SEA,SF, INDY, Cincy, are examples of playoff teams that saw benefit by having their rookie QB stuck on the rookie pay scale so they could allocate money to other sources, or in Cincy's keep it for themselves.

I think this trend has now devalued a guy like Mallet's current stock versus what it would have been just 2 years ago. 2 seasons ago Mallet would ideally be viewed as someone who got a few years of seasoning, coached by a great staff while playing understudy to a HOF QB whose approach to the game and preparation are things Mallet stood to learn from. Now he's a guy on the last year of this deal so any team acquiring him only has a shot for one year of being able to trot out a quality QB at discount prices. If he was proven I could see this but since he's not I'd rather take my shot on a 2nd-3rd round QB who I've got locked up on a cheap deal for the next 4 years.

I like Mallet more than a lot of QB's who have been selected in the top 2 rounds these past few years but I'd still not part with anything more than a 4th rounder for him this season.

SEA,SF, INDY, Cincy, are examples of playoff teams that saw benefit by having their rookie QB stuck on the rookie pay scale so they could allocate money to other sources, or in Cincy's keep it for themselves.

I think this trend has now devalued a guy like Mallet's current stock versus what it would have been just 2 years ago. 2 seasons ago Mallet would ideally be viewed as someone who got a few years of seasoning, coached by a great staff while playing understudy to a HOF QB whose approach to the game and preparation are things Mallet stood to learn from. Now he's a guy on the last year of this deal so any team acquiring him only has a shot for one year of being able to trot out a quality QB at discount prices. If he was proven I could see this but since he's not I'd rather take my shot on a 2nd-3rd round QB who I've got locked up on a cheap deal for the next 4 years.
There's also the opportunity cost of passing on an elite player at another position to draft a rookie QB. I don't think the Broncos are unhappy with their decision to draft Von Miller and give Peyton Manning a huge contract instead of drafting Locker.

There's also the opportunity cost of passing on an elite player at another position to draft a rookie QB. I don't think the Broncos are unhappy with their decision to draft Von Miller and give Peyton Manning a huge contract. instead of drafting Locker.
LOL. You should change your FBG handle to Cherrypicker.

There's also the opportunity cost of passing on an elite player at another position to draft a rookie QB. I don't think the Broncos are unhappy with their decision to draft Von Miller and give Peyton Manning a huge contract. instead of drafting Locker.
If they pass on an elite player for a QB it's bad business period but I don't see it written in stone that the Texans have to acquire a QB right now or use pick 1.1. They have other options.

Not sure why you pulled out the odd Peyton Manning/Locker example. PM has nothing to do with Mallet who we still don't know if he can play or not and I don't think the Broncos ever considered Locker who was picked the year before they signed Manning anyway so it's not like it was an either/or decision.

Manning wasn't even signed the same season as that draft.

Manning wasn't even signed the same season as that draft.
I am guessing Madame Cleo must have told Elway that Peyton Manning would be available next year and to pass on Locker.Obviously free agent like PM are almost never available. He could of tried to point to the signing of free agent QBs like T-Jax or Matt Flynn, but that wouldn't have worked out very well.

Users who are viewing this thread