What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews will not break 1000 yds rushing this year (1 Viewer)

This is the very first time I have even come into this thread. Mainly because every time I saw the title, I rolled my eyes and laughed.

But I gotta give props. 1/4 into the season, he's on pace for 624 yards rushing, he's banged up and he's losing major carries to Tolbert.

Nice call so far. :excited:
]Says the happy raiders fan haha.

I hate the term "on pace". Also a poor measurement due to the fact that he got hurt. Easy to calculate "on pace" numbers when this is the case.

4.72 YPC isn't half bad for a rookie if you ask me. We'll see what the rest of the season holds. SD didn't trade up for a 1st round pick for a guy that will end up carrying the ball 9 times a week like this past game in week 4.

Tolbert is a FB. Once Mathews' mysterious elbow injury is gone, expect to see Tolbert in nothing more than a Willis McGahee TD vulture goal line role (unfortunately :thumbup: )

he's on pace for 624 yards rushing
well i suppose it depends on how you calculate 'on pace' :no:one game he left early due to injury and he sat out another due to injuryif you hold to the tenant that 'you can't predict injuries', his 2 full games he averaged 65 yards/game65 yards/game * 12 remaining games + 156 current yards = 936 yards

Unfortunate he suffered an injury early on. His 4.7 ypc so far is actually surprising as well. But, his overall lack of carries and involvement is the most surprising given Turner's preseason endorsements. That said, there's a reason that 1000 yds isn't a gimme in the NFL and he needed a lot of things to go right for that to happen.

In terms of dynasty, I still love his prospects. But, for 2010, I don't see things changing substantially, especially once VJax is back.

Mayock did a segment on him last night and basically said he's missing a lot of holes and not anticipating well. Basically, he's got no vision right now.

The reason I like him so much is partly because of his talent & partly because of his situation. Tolbert (GL back) & Sproles (receiving back) simply won't be long-term deterrents to Mathews. Mathews isn't a great RB, but he's easily good enough to take advantage of his situation, which might be the best place to be a feature back in the NFL. Great offense with a coach who likes to run the ball.

Eventually, Mathews will be both the GL back & receiving back. It's a process. Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes not. Right now, the Chargers have two other RBs who do their jobs pretty well, but they aren't nearly as talented as Mathews. Give the rook time.

I believe Mathews could work his way into the feature back role as soon as this season, but certainly no later than sometime in 2011.

As far as the last part goes, I don't have enough data to know if Mathews were to be more efficient than he would score many more TDs than LT did. For example, let's say the Chargers on several occasions gave Tomlinson the ball three times in a row say at the two yard line and he finally pounded it into the endzone. Now let's say Mathews was able to get in in one try or sometimes two. Both guys would have gotten TDs, it took Mathews fewer attempts, but that wouldn't mean the Chargers had more trips to the goal line.We also don't know if the Chargers opted to run the ball more frequently deep in enemy territory because they had LT. I'm not saying they won't give Mathews the ball at the goal line or that he can't get in the endzone, but maybe they will change their play calling more and call a few more passing plays.Long story short, we don't know how the loss of LT and the addition of Mathews will impact the Chargers. The assumption is that they do everything the same and substitute Tomlinson for Mathews. But they could very well augment what they do and their offensive plan anywhere from a little to a lot and all points in between. I agree that it's unlikely that suddently the Chargers would scrap red zone rushing attempts, but I could see them throwing for more TDs to Gates or receivers (not a ton more but some more).My overall take on Mathews was not so much that he won't do well but more the cost to acquire hime (basicallay a Top 10 to Top 15 overall pick or so in a redraft).
Yudkin, I agree wholeheartedly with the points you have raised.To project Matthews to be a top 15 pick without taking his first NFL snap is crazy. But that is what people will do based on "conservative" projections of some folks. What do we know about Matthews? He was apparently a small school stud with injury history, who runs in an upright style. The game tape and measurables are good enough for some to think he will be a plug and play guy, with double digit TD's a baseline. The 2010 Chargers aren't the 2009 Chargers. So much could, and I believe will change. The defense has regressed, so P. Rivers will need to use his elite talent to keep his team in games, which means more passing. The red zone philosophy could also change as you suggested. LT2 was legendary for his "nose for the goal". What if after a few failed goalline conversions, Norv has seen enough and tries to force it into Gates at the goalline as a reaction to Matthews not getting the TD's? What if Matthews turns out to be a good between the 20's runner, but needs to be subbed out in the RZ? What if he fumbles the ball at an inopportune time or too much in general? Will he be relegated to complimentary back while they look for a back that can get it done?Again, there are too many variables, too many unknowns to spend a top pick on a rookie back with arguably the worst OL. His current ADP is based on the past success of the Chargers and I feel is irrelevant to his draft status. Certainly later on begiining in the 3rd, he has some value. I said the same for Moreno last year, who had a decent year for a rookie with expected ups and downs. Matthews will have the same learning curve, and you have to consider if you want to tough it out with him as your RB1, while he makes his way. In redraft, who of us has the patience?
Bumping an earlier post....Not to open a can of worms, but I got flamed by so many in this thread to agree with the OP on the doubts of Mathews. To be fair, no one can predict injuries. But I did mention that he as "injury prone" and had an upright running style.

Bumping an earlier post....

Not to open a can of worms, but I got flamed by so many in this thread to agree with the OP on the doubts of Mathews. To be fair, no one can predict injuries. But I did mention that he as "injury prone" and had an upright running style.
Yeah, but to be fair, a contortionist midget could have been bent backwards in that pile on that play where Matthews got hurt.

So what is his outlook going forward. I just scooped him up in a short bench keeper league. Is he going to offer anything moving forward? What is holding him back?

Mayock did a segment on him last night and basically said he's missing a lot of holes and not anticipating well. Basically, he's got no vision right now.
It was not mayock, it was one of the other guys. I bring that up because Mayock is miles ahead of anyone else on that network so if he said it it would carry more weight.

Wish I would've paid heed to the warnings in this thread.... My RB2 spot has been a blackhole all season, and stupidly, since I grabbed Mathews late 2nd Rd, I actually passed on Arian Foster to grab WRs since I missed out on a major WR run.. Double nut punch.

This guy is a total bust to this point. I did it again. I picked horribly in round 2. Happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR even if I do the value thing.

:thumbup:

he really was not an overly talented guy in college
- Averaged 150 rushing yards per game last year at 6.6 YPC. - Ran a 4.45 40 at 218 pounds. - Was picked in the top 15 of the NFL draft.Not overly talented though. :rolleyes:
Against what competition? What conference did he play in? C'mon now EBF, you're way smarter than just to fall for a few numbers. Lot of guys had big numbers in college. If you like him that's fine but I don't find him special.
MOP >>>> EBF

I have a feeling this thread will be bumped every other week.

A few stats for the anti-Mathews group. Because of the injury, he has only played 5.25 games and has had 62 carries for 296 yards, which is a 56 yards per game pace. So that pace would project to 896 yards on just a little under 12 carries per game. Prior to his ankle injury, he was getting almost 20 carries per game (I know, only 1.25 games). Since his ankle injury, he has received 9.5 carries per game. He needs 16.5 carries per game at his current ypc to reach 1000 yards.

PahtyTom said:
It was not mayock, it was one of the other guys. I bring that up because Mayock is miles ahead of anyone else on that network so if he said it it would carry more weight.
It was Baldinger with Mayock right next to him:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-play...istakes-vs-Pats

Starts at 1:50

last 2 games while SD has been playing catch-up most the game:

Mathews 20 carries

Sproles 3 carries

Tolber 5 carries

Hester 2 carries

Don't write the kid off just yet

last 2 games while SD has been playing catch-up most the game:Mathews 20 carriesSproles 3 carriesTolber 5 carriesHester 2 carriesDon't write the kid off just yet
Forget carries, we talking about plays.(KFFL) San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner believes RB Ryan Mathews is not yet ready for crunch time, which would explain why Mathews watched from the sideline the entire second half of the team's Week 7 game, according to Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune. RB Darren Sproles, meanwhile, caught six passes for 53 yards in the game's final six minutes. "Please," Turner said. "Darren has been playing that position for four years, and he knows exactly what he's doing in protection. He knows exactly what he's doing with the route. Obviously, when we get into those situations, it takes away the chances to use (Mathews) as a player."

last 2 games while SD has been playing catch-up most the game:

Mathews 20 carries

Sproles 3 carries

Tolber 5 carries

Hester 2 carries

Don't write the kid off just yet
Forget carries, we talking about plays.(KFFL) San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner believes RB Ryan Mathews is not yet ready for crunch time, which would explain why Mathews watched from the sideline the entire second half of the team's Week 7 game, according to Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune. RB Darren Sproles, meanwhile, caught six passes for 53 yards in the game's final six minutes. "Please," Turner said. "Darren has been playing that position for four years, and he knows exactly what he's doing in protection. He knows exactly what he's doing with the route. Obviously, when we get into those situations, it takes away the chances to use (Mathews) as a player."
Obviously he's not going to be the everydown back this year. I was just implying that he's still the main runner, and the reason he hasn't gotten a lot of carries lately is due to them falling way behind very early. That is not likely to continue.

Bye week is killing me and I'm contemplating benching Mathews in favor of Ricky freaking Williams. Thoughts?

I also don't know why they don't run split backs set with Mathews and Sproles. Defenses would have to keep guessing what they're doing?

I also don't know why they don't run split backs set with Mathews and Sproles. Defenses would have to keep guessing what they're doing?
Whenever people asked Norv why he didn't use Tomlinson and Sproles in the backfield at the same time, he said it's because it turns one of them into a lead blocker, and that's not a very good use of their talents.(The formation might be sensible on passing plays only; but if you don't ever run out of it, you become too predictable.)(If they were going to use a split-back type of deal, using Tolbert and Hester might make more sense. Both of those guys are decent lead blockers, runners, and receivers. That provides a lot of versatility.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was Baldinger with Mayock right next to him:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-play...istakes-vs-Pats

Starts at 1:50
:shrug: I have been thoroughly unimpressed with Mathews all season. I have Tolbert so I've been watching this with interest. That video is telling.

Starting this turd because LeSean McCoy is out this week. Just hoping for SOMETHING!! Don't have any other options!

If I'm not mistaken, he didn't get a single carry in the 2nd half. There was a story floating around that he tweaked his ankle again, but it's curious that he "tweaked his ankle" right after a big fumble. I just don't think Norv trusts him right now.

If he could play more then a quarter without bowing out of a game he could have maybe done it. He looks good, but enjoys fumbling and watching the game from the sidelines with a little ankle booboo.

This guy is making the early version of fred taylor look like an iron man.

If he could play more then a quarter without bowing out of a game he could have maybe done it. He looks good, but enjoys fumbling and watching the game from the sidelines with a little ankle booboo.This guy is making the early version of fred taylor look like an iron man.
There's a good 5 and half pages of warnings that foretold that this could be the plight of Mathews owners, all discussed in July. :cry:

I'm going to try to acquire him in every dynasty league I'm in (depending on the price, of course). Mathews is without question the RB most poised to make a big turnaround from this season, IMO.

Tolbert & Sproles are decent players, but I believe Mathews will take both their roles (short yardage & receiving back) by the end of the 2011 season, thus, eventually becoming one of the best young RBs in FF (especially in PPR leagues). This is a classic case of a multi-talented rookie RB in a juggernaut offense having an underwhelming season due to various factors, none of which hurt his longterm value.

If I'm not mistaken, he didn't get a single carry in the 2nd half. There was a story floating around that he tweaked his ankle again, but it's curious that he "tweaked his ankle" right after a big fumble. I just don't think Norv trusts him right now.
He re-injured the same ankle. He was in street clothes on the sideline in the second half.

He re-injured the same ankle. He was in street clothes on the sideline in the second half.
Correct. And he tweaked the ankle on a carry after the one in which he fumbled. The first play of their offensive series following the one in which he fumbled was a Matthews run - they got him the ball as soon as they could. Then he reinjured himself and went straight to the locker room.

Pretty sure we can safely wrap this up.
So you want credit for injuries....classy.
Classy? What does that have to do with anything?And, injuries aside, in games played, any indication he was on pace for it? 3 games all year with double digit carries out of 8 games played2 TDs in 8 games78 yards rushing career high in a gameThings haven't looked good to hit it for a while. The injury just sealed the deal, not caused it.

Classy? What does that have to do with anything?And, injuries aside, in games played, any indication he was on pace for it? 3 games all year with double digit carries out of 8 games played2 TDs in 8 games78 yards rushing career high in a gameThings haven't looked good to hit it for a while. The injury just sealed the deal, not caused it.
Injuries aside? With injuries he rushed for 4.4 per carry. So putting them aside he would've rushed for a better average and easily hit 1000.My point is you bump a thread to pat yourself on the back. Should I go bump SSOG and my thread debating DHB vs Schilens....even though Schilens hasn't played all year? No

And, injuries aside, in games played, any indication he was on pace for it?

3 games all year with double digit carries out of 8 games played

2 TDs in 8 games

78 yards rushing career high in a game
I agreed with the thrust of your original post. But the stats you mention aren't "injuries aside." He hasn't been healthy since week one.

I know this is going to be quite an unpopular viewpoint and I'm sure most in this thread will tell me as much. However, the closer things get, the more I think that many people are going to be disappointed with Ryan Mathews in 2010.The interesting thing is that I actually think he's got talent and looks good from the video highlights of him that I've seen. I also think that SD believes in him evidenced by trading up so high to get him. I think the future will be bright for him even though I don't think he has top 3-4 RB potential like Chris Johnson or ADP.All that said, the expectations of him that I've seen from many here including his player spotlight thread as well as recent rankings putting him in the top 10 for this year are making me cringe. I may indeed be wrong but I'm not sure his ypc is going to be high enough to hit 1000 yards and I simply don't see him getting close to 300 carries. I do think that the main part of his value is going to come from TDs. I see a repeat of what Moreno did this past year for him in terms of numbers.We all love the hype trains and it seems there's a lot of folks on the Mathews wagon. I'm going to say that wagon is a year premature and there's going to be lots of people looking for refunds by the end of 2010.
Talk about knocking it out of the park. A- though as no reference to the tollbert tax.

Matthews has downright sucked in every dimension fantasy wise-whether injured or not- and trust me i invested in him in the FB contest (my most expensive RB) so this isnt an I told you so. Get over it.
Tell that to his 4.4 YPC....if that is downright sucked....then all of these other rookie RB's are what?J. Best= 3.0Spiller= 4.0Hardesty= 0B. Tate= 0Gerhart= 3.6McCluster= 5.5(on 11 rushes)

Matthews has downright sucked in every dimension fantasy wise-whether injured or not- and trust me i invested in him in the FB contest (my most expensive RB) so this isnt an I told you so. Get over it.
Tell that to his 4.4 YPC....if that is downright sucked....then all of these other rookie RB's are what?J. Best= 3.0Spiller= 4.0Hardesty= 0B. Tate= 0Gerhart= 3.6McCluster= 5.5(on 11 rushes)
Why are you comparing him to other rookies? Especially ones that weren't even drafted. Shouldn't you be comparing him to all of his peers instead of a few guys that are on the IR? Is your only evidence that he hasn't sucked really his YPC against the rest of a very weak RB class?

Why are you comparing him to other rookies? Especially ones that weren't even drafted. Shouldn't you be comparing him to all of his peers instead of a few guys that are on the IR? Is your only evidence that he hasn't sucked really his YPC against the rest of a very weak RB class?
All of those rookies were drafted.I am simply pointing out that the hate above "Matthews has downright sucked in every dimension fantasy wise-whether injured or not" "Get over it". So I wondered how he felt about the other rookie RB's.My only evidence is that he had limited opportunity...fumbled a bit...had nagging injuries...and averaged 4.4 YPC for a very struggling team at the beginning of the season that was passing often.Did Mathews live up to expectations? NO. Should we be patting ourselves on the back b/c the kid has been dealing with injuries? NO.

Users who are viewing this thread