What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints trade LT Gandy to ATL for S Byron Scott (1 Viewer)

makes sense except they worked out Mario Williams. Maybe the didnt like him and then made this move.

This also most likely kills any trade talk. The Saints can't afford to trade down now and risk someone scooping up Ferguson.

hmmm..

so. pencil in brick at 2. i would think that the Titans would happily scoop up Leinart, the Jets would take super Mario, then hawk to the Pack. The niners might have a tough choice between Davis and Ngata... Young to the Raiders?

hmmm..

so. pencil in brick at 2. i would think that the Titans would happily scoop up Leinart, the Jets would take super Mario, then hawk to the Pack. The niners might have a tough choice between Davis and Ngata... Young to the Raiders?
You don't think the Jets would take a QB here?

Saints | Scott acquired in trade

Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:44:55 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the New Orleans Saints have acquired S Bryan Scott and an undisclosed draft choice in a trade with the New Orleans Saints for OT Wayne Gandy.

:confused:

Hmmm...are the Saints down on either Dwight Smith or Josh Bullocks?? I would think not. Plus, why would the Saints want to show their cards three weeks before the draft. If this is true, they are pigeoned-hole with Brick at 1.2 (which is not all bad).

Mario...welcome to the Jets!

Still not convinced Mario to JEts -

Leinart could slip to #4 with tenn going Young or Mario

or

Jets will now talk up Mario big time - pimp the pick and trade down a few spots to grab Cutler.

I personally would rather have Cutler and another 2nd rder than Mario. As long as Cutler grades out high enough

Plus, why would the Saints want to show their cards three weeks before the draft. If this is true, they are pigeoned-hole with Brick at 1.2 (which is not all bad).
Picking at #2, how exactly does that hurt them? The only team ahead of them, the Texans, are almost sure to pick Bush, and even if they don't won't pick a lineman. I also can't imagine another team trading up to #1 to take a lineman. As for the timing, it may have been the Falcons that insisted upon this deal now so that they can finalize their draft plans with Gandy already in place.

The whole issue of Mario vs. a QB for the Jets has me stumped. I could see them going either way, but right now my gut says Mario, because he's the safer pick, and arguably has higher upside than any of the QBs + he's a perfect cornerstone for mangini's hybrid D.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole issue of Mario vs. a QB for the Jets has me stumped. I could see them going either way, but right now my gut says Mario, because he's the safer pick, and arguably has higher upside than any of the QBs + he's a perfect cornerstone for mangini's hybrid D.
:thumbup:

Plus, why would the Saints want to show their cards three weeks before the draft.  If this is true, they are pigeoned-hole with Brick at 1.2 (which is not all bad).
Picking at #2, how exactly does that hurt them? The only team ahead of them, the Texans, are almost sure to pick Bush, and even if they don't won't pick a lineman. I also can't imagine another team trading up to #1 to take a lineman. As for the timing, it may have been the Falcons that insisted upon this deal now so that they can finalize their draft plans with Gandy already in place.
It's probably no biggie since Brick is easily worth the #2 overall, but it would have been nice for the Saints to have options (ala Brick, Mario, Hawk, A Davis) in the event of a hearty trade-down offer. All four players are lottery picks and would have fit nicely on the Saints squad. Brick will be a great pick, but it would have been nice to acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd in a move down.

Hmmm...are the Saints down on either Dwight Smith or Josh Bullocks?? I would think not. Plus, why would the Saints want to show their cards three weeks before the draft. If this is true, they are pigeoned-hole with Brick at 1.2 (which is not all bad).

They could have a trade down possibility and Winston Justice is the perfect fit then, right?I'm not "seeing" this one with the Safeties they've got so I'm figuring there's more to it. What though?

I thought this trade was all about getting a guy named Byron Scott. It seems that the Hornets might not come back to NO and they needed a guy with that name to make everyone happy.

Hmmm...are the Saints down on either Dwight Smith or Josh Bullocks??  I would think not.  Plus, why would the Saints want to show their cards three weeks before the draft.  If this is true, they are pigeoned-hole with Brick at 1.2 (which is not all bad).

They could have a trade down possibility and Winston Justice is the perfect fit then, right?I'm not "seeing" this one with the Safeties they've got so I'm figuring there's more to it. What though?
Mitchell just signed with NE and no telling if Bellamy will be back, Scott is simply some depth at safety.

I believe Scott can backup at both safety positions, and seriously there is notihng wrong with having an extra defensive back. I think this trade was more about the draft pick (4th round?) than anything.

Personally I think this all but assures the Jets won't trade up...they'll hope Leinart falls to them otherwise they'll grab Mario.

I thought this trade was all about getting a guy named Byron Scott. It seems that the Hornets might not come back to NO and they needed a guy with that name to make everyone happy.
He was a very under-rated part of the Lakers dynasty. Dunno about Bryan though. ;)

Jammal Brown - T - Saints Saints coach Sean Payton told the NFL Network that second-year T Jammal Brown will be moved to the left side.Wayne Gandy was dealt Thursday. The Saints could still entertain drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson and keeping Brown on the right side, but Payton seemed to indicate that wouldn't happen. Apr. 6 - 3:48 pm et
:lmao:

Plus, why would the Saints want to show their cards three weeks before the draft.  If this is true, they are pigeoned-hole with Brick at 1.2 (which is not all bad).
My thoughts also.

It's probably no biggie since Brick is easily worth the #2 overall, but it would have been nice for the Saints to have options (ala Brick, Mario, Hawk, A Davis) in the event of a hearty trade-down offer. All four players are lottery picks and would have fit nicely on the Saints squad. Brick will be a great pick, but it would have been nice to acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd in a move down.
I agree, but is it possible the undisclosed pick is a 3? I doubt it would be a 2.

hmmm..

You don't think the Jets would take a QB here?
It seems like this could set the table for the Jets, Pack or 49ers to entertain offers of teams looking to move up and grab Williams, Davis, one of the QBs, etc.

I don't see how this affects the Saints trade possibilities. If (and this is a question noone can answer till draft day) any team wants Leinart then they still have to jump the Titans. I can see the Saints dropping to as far as 6th and still getting great value.

1) Bush

2) Leinart

3) Young

4) Mario

5) Hawk

I still see a trade with the Jets as the most likely scenerio. If the Jets want Leinart, the Saints will play the Titans against the Jets and get at least a third to drop two spots and still get their guy and pay him less.

I don't see how this affects the Saints trade possibilities.
It affects their possibilities by leaving them in a pretty tight spot if they don't get a starting quality tackle in the draft. they could land one in the 2nd that could play RT if you take Payton at his word on the shifting of Brown to LT (i dont), otherwise they need Brick.

It affects their possibilities by leaving them in a pretty tight spot if they don't get a starting quality tackle in the draft. they could land one in the 2nd that could play RT if you take Payton at his word on the shifting of Brown to LT (i dont), otherwise they need Brick.
Brown is a RT. He was drafted to play the right side, so I don't believe Payton either. The only wild card here is former 2nd rd pick Jonathan Stinchcomb, who was "supposedly" coming into his own at LT before missing last year with an injury.I don't know. I think the probability of Ferguson just jumped up a good bit, but unlike some have posted, I don't think it's written in stone.

Brown is a RT. He was drafted to play the right side, so I don't believe Payton either. The only wild card here is former 2nd rd pick Jonathan Stinchcomb, who was "supposedly" coming into his own at LT before missing last year with an injury.I don't know. I think the probability of Ferguson just jumped up a good bit, but unlike some have posted, I don't think it's written in stone.
nothing is in stone until the name is called, i have learned my lesson thinking that you can nail the picks before the draft. that being said, I had read in a few sources i really trust that the saints had decided that brick was their man and that they would only trade down if they were sure they could still get him, so this move is consistent with that info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree they would be better served picking Brick. The Saints drafted an Olineman a few years ago in the second round that they have been grooming (Stinchcomb). Mayberry could play right tackle if pressed to do so as well. He was signed with that in mind before last year's draft. The Saints greatest need is DT and LB. They were awfull against the run. I still think they drop down, take their chances, and get more picks or they pick Leinart and work out a trade afterward. Franchise QBs usually get the most attention when it comes to draft day trades. Draft day is going to fun this year!

nothing is in stone until the name is called, i have learned my lesson thinking that you can nail the picks before the draft. that being said, I had read in a few sources i really trust that the saints had decided that brick was their man and that they would only trade down if they were sure they could still get him, so this move is consistent with that info.
That's fine by me. I wanted Brick or Hawk coming out of this draft, with Hawk being the most glaring need before today. Now all bets are off and we had better get Brees some protection. :thumbup:

If Payton comes from the Parcells school of OL apathy, then D'Brick may not be as certain as many of you think. Brown most certainly can move to LT. In fact, I think he's a franchise LT in the making. Do they need two franchise LTs with all the other holes on the roster? Nope. Not with guys like Scott, Whitworth, etc, available later.

They don't need Mario and they don't need D'Brick. I think Hawk may be the biggest impact player for their roster, no?

Moving down is probably still their primary goal. I can see them drafting Leinart ala SD drafting Manning and having a trade worked out in advance. Would the Jets cough up 4 and 29 for Leinart? Pennington, Ramsey?

All I'm sure of is I'm sure of nothing.

No link but I remember in the paper about them pretty much deciding they were parting ways with Gandy regardless. To get something for him rather than cutting him is the only story. It doesnt force the Saints hand either. Seesm to me the trade didnt expose what we already knew was a weak OL, weak DT, and weak LBs.

In thier division, New Orleans Faces the following DE's

ATL - Abraham and Kerney

Car - Peppers and Rucker

TB - Rice and Spires

Each team above combined for a minimum of 18 sacks last year from the Defensive Ends alone. New Orleans needs people who can block those guys more than they need a 3rd Pass Rusher. Otherwise Brees and his sholder will get driven into the turf repeatedly.

I guess if that happens, they can always draft a new QB high next year.

In thier division, New Orleans Faces the following DE'sATL - Abraham and KerneyCar - Peppers and RuckerTB - Rice and SpiresEach team above combined for a minimum of 18 sacks last year from the
This stat did not seem impressive, just OK or good.

ATL - Abraham and Kerney

Car - Peppers and Rucker

TB - Rice and Spires

Each team above combined for a minimum of 18 sacks last year from the Defensive Ends alone. New Orleans needs people who can block those guys more than they need a 3rd Pass Rusher. Otherwise Brees and his sholder will get driven into the turf repeatedly.

Good call. The new LT for the Saints (whether it's Brown or Brick) will have to face Abraham, Rice and Peppers a total of six times next year. :shock:

Not good when you're right-handed QB is coming off surgery on his right shoulder.

sweet now denver is in striking distance of getting Mario at #4 :tradeup: :banned:
Jets #4 for Denver's #15, #22 and a 2nd day pick? Give the Jets 3 legit 1st rd picks and 1 quasi at the 3rd pick in the 2nd rd. Miss out on the blue chip studs but could land 3 excellent players to rebuild - #15 - RB - D. Williams

#22 - LB - Bobby Carpenter

#29 - OL - E. Winston?

#35 - C - Mangold

What a draft that would be!

While I agree with the pick, and like Mario a lot, if it's pure upside you're talking about, I don't see how anyone after Bush has a higher upside than Young. Totally agree on being stumped here, I was thinking the same thing.

Two picks stump me

1. Jets - Mario vs. VY

2. Packers if Mario slips vs. Hawk.

ATL - Abraham and Kerney

Car - Peppers and Rucker

TB - Rice and Spires

Good call. The new LT for the Saints (whether it's Brown or Brick) will have to face Abraham, Rice and Peppers a total of six times next year. :shock:

Not good when you're right-handed QB is coming off surgery on his right shoulder.
Peppers plays LDE.

sweet now denver is in striking distance of getting Mario at #4  :tradeup:  :banned:
Jets #4 for Denver's #15, #22 and a 2nd day pick? Give the Jets 3 legit 1st rd picks and 1 quasi at the 3rd pick in the 2nd rd. Miss out on the blue chip studs but could land 3 excellent players to rebuild - #15 - RB - D. Williams

#29 - OL - E. Winston?

#35 - C - Mangold

I was thinking the Saints could do the same thing with multiple trades but I might start a separate thread on that.

sweet now denver is in striking distance of getting Mario at #4 :tradeup: :banned:

#29 - OL - E. Winston?

#35 - C - Mangold

I was thinking the Saints could do the same thing with multiple trades but I might start a separate thread on that.
As a Dolphins fan, I don't like the Jets rebuilding this quickly one bit. :no: That said, something like that would be a smart way to go IMO.

ATL - Abraham and Kerney

Car - Peppers and Rucker

TB - Rice and Spires

Each team above combined for a minimum of 18 sacks last year from the
This stat did not seem impressive, just OK or good.
Only the Giants and the Colts come to mind as being better. But the depth of the division is what is impressive. Also, I only counted the starting DE, I didn't include DT, or LB. I took a quick look at Team Sacks, and the AFC South with Indy, Tennesse and Jax all above 40 looks to be the best. Of course, they all get to play Houston twice a year, so I question their "strength of schedule"The other interesting thing I noticed is that New Orleans only got 26 Total sacks last year. They only got 1 from all of their Line Backers. If they want to rush the passer better, replacing one of their two best pass rushers with another pass rusher makes no sense. They need to hope Grant has a bounce back year, and look for a DT or a Linebacker who can get to the QB when they come.

Anybody have a decent player analysis on Scott?
From TSN:
Bryan Scott, SS

DOB: Apr 13, 1981

College: Penn State

HT: 6-1

WT: 219

NFL Seasons: 3

Drafted by Atlanta in 2003 (2/55).

Scouting Report

Assets: A good bump-and-run guy that turns and runs well. Very prepared and smart in coverage. Has the coverage skills of a cornerback and great range.

Flaws: A long strider that lacks top speed. Doesn't have the speed to correct his mistakes. Not a ferocious hitter.

Career potential: Adequate starter with upside.

Users who are viewing this thread