What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** Aiyuk remains a holdout (4 Viewers)

Is there anyone else in this thread or is it just Wingnut talking to himself? lol

49er fans here aren't real active until the reg season I guess. Ima keep the updates comin, don't you worry.

Interesting takes on Thurs/Fri joint practices from SI's Hondo Carpenter. (Basically said the Raiders outplayed the Niners both days, surprisingly to most/all of the beat writers.)

What were the takes from the Niners' writers?

Interesting takes on Thurs/Fri joint practices from SI's Hondo Carpenter. (Basically said the Raiders outplayed the Niners both days, surprisingly to most/all of the beat writers.)

What were the takes from the Niners' writers?

Pretty much the same.

I can't remember the last time I was this interested in watching the first preseason game.

Lots to watch today. Some importsnt questions could be answered.

Uniform Numbers Watch today for #49ers:

9 - TE Brayden Willis
10 - WR Ronnie Bell
22 - CB D'Shawn Jamison
27 - S J'Ayir Bown
32 - RB TDP (he's looked very good)
33 - FB Jack Colletto
40 - LB Marcelino McCrary-Ball
46 - RB Khalan Laborn
50 - LB Jalen Graham
53 - LB Dee Winters
51 - G Jason Poe (probably LG)
56 - DE Austin Bryant
77 - DE Taco Charlton
78 - T Leroy Watson
81 - TE Cam Latu
83 - WR Willie Snead
99 - DT Javon Kinlaw

It sure looks like the backup job is Sam Darnold's for the taking. Lance has no command of the offense at all, and basically just walked into a couple sacks, even his TD was a pretty awful throw.

Even though it’s all backups and no talent around him, I’m still not a fan of what Trey looks like. Worried about what I’m reading about Purdy too in Thurs/Friday sessions. Feeling a little nervous, tbh.

Yea kicker is worrisome when we had a basically automatic guy for so many years.

Darnold > Lance

Lance doesn’t at all look like 4.4 40 guy either, on top of bad accuracy and a lack of control.

Yea kicker is worrisome when we had a basically automatic guy for so many years.

Darnold > Lance

Lance doesn’t at all look like 4.4 40 guy either, on top of bad accuracy and a lack of control.
Agreed Darnold looks better than Lance currently. Just wish we could’ve seen what Lance could do with more than 2 seconds to work with post-snap. An entire group of turnstiles posing as offensive linemen.

Darnold > Lance

Agreed Darnold looks better than Lance currently. Just wish we could’ve seen what Lance could do with more than 2 seconds to work with post-snap. An entire group of turnstiles posing as offensive linemen.
While the sample size is small, ever since I e first seen him in SF, he’s never looked like his combine numbers on the field. His accuracy is suspect, decision making indecisive to poor. If he doesn’t show something this season, idk, I’d almost be ready to throw the towel in on him.

Did Moody miss more than 1?
2 but one was from 58. They'll give him the rest of the preaseason. If he can settle down he'll be fine.
The one from 58 was about 20 yards wide right

He is Daniel Carlson. Hyped, overly so, and awesome. He's going to struggle (seems inevitable at this point) and if SF gives up too early he'll go somewhere else and be an All Pro kicker for 14 years. Be patient. His leg is unreal, he's been great in practice. Let him work out the nerves and we'll be set at the position until the late 2030's.

2 but one was from 58. They'll give him the rest of the preaseason. If he can settle down he'll be fine.

He is Daniel Carlson. Hyped, overly so, and awesome. He's going to struggle (seems inevitable at this point) and if SF gives up too early he'll go somewhere else and be an All Pro kicker for 14 years. Be patient. His leg is unreal, he's been great in practice. Let him work out the nerves and we'll be set at the position until the late 2030's.

I mean I'd say trust the draft process but that's what got us Trey. :poop:

Darnold > Lance

While the sample size is small, ever since I e first seen him in SF, he’s never looked like his combine numbers on the field. His accuracy is suspect, decision making indecisive to poor. If he doesn’t show something this season, idk, I’d almost be ready to throw the towel in on him.
He was a 4.6 40 guy but has never played even that fast. He’s an above average athlete for an NFL QB but nothing more.

Darnold > Lance

He was a 4.6 40 guy but has never played even that fast. He’s an above average athlete for an NFL QB but nothing more.

The only modicum of consolation is that if SF had stayed put and drafted Mac Jones we'd still be effed. But we COULD have been effed with Purdy, Micah Parsons, and some other dudes.

Darnold > Lance

The only modicum of consolation is that if SF had stayed put and drafted Mac Jones we'd still be effed. But we COULD have been effed with Purdy, Micah Parsons, and some other dudes.

Justin Fields was always the correct answer. For the Jets and the Niners. Both teams way outsmarted themselves. Won't be the last ones.

Darnold > Lance

I think you’re basing it on what Mac has done in New England (which was a decent job as a rookie with a real OC and a horrible job with no real OC while surrounded by mediocre weapons both seasons). We saw how great he looked in Alabama’s system, with a pro-caliber OL blocking for him and elite receivers to throw to. Give Mac the same offense and coaching that Jimmy and Purdy got to enjoy these last two seasons and I bet he would’ve done at least as well as they have. I don’t think Mac is anything special but he’d have fit the 49ers like a glove.

Never forget that Shanny originally wanted Mac and traded up to 3 to secure him. Then four days later this happened and he likely changed course after that:

Last edited:
I think Mac would be giving them Purdy-like performance and I haven’t seen anything to suggest Fields is an NFL passer. They picked the wrong year to go big for a QB.

Perspective:

Lombardi:

Important to keep in mind that most of the players out there today for the 49ers won’t make the 53-man roster. They’ll certainly need a good handful of them to be contributors this season, but they’ll also be asking for most of those contributions to come within the role-playing context of the first-team unit. Players like Givens and Kinlaw will be rotating in for reps after Hargrave and Armstead have worn down lines. It’s just not possible to project team-wide efficiency in Week 1 of the preseason.

Darnold > Lance

Isn't the point of Lance to be moving around the pocket and making big throws down field?

Darnold > Lance

I think you’re basing it on what Mac has done in New England (which was a decent job as a rookie with a real OC and a horrible job with no real OC while surrounded by mediocre weapons both seasons). We saw how great he looked in Alabama’s system, with a pro-caliber OL blocking for him and elite receivers to throw to. Give Mac the same offense and coaching that Jimmy and Purdy got to enjoy these last two seasons and I bet he would’ve done at least as well as they have. I don’t think Mac is anything special but he’d have fit the 49ers like a glove.

Never forget that Shanny originally wanted Mac and traded up to 3 to secure him. Then four days later this happened and he likely changed course after that:

Trading up for either of the guys was the wrong move period.

I think Mac would be giving them Purdy-like performance and I haven’t seen anything to suggest Fields is an NFL passer. They picked the wrong year to go big for a QB.

This is correct answer and honestly outside of a guaranteed prospect (i know is it never guaranteed) like a Luck you never trade that many picks in a draft for one guy.

Last edited:
Perspective:

Lombardi:

Important to keep in mind that most of the players out there today for the 49ers won’t make the 53-man roster. They’ll certainly need a good handful of them to be contributors this season, but they’ll also be asking for most of those contributions to come within the role-playing context of the first-team unit. Players like Givens and Kinlaw will be rotating in for reps after Hargrave and Armstead have worn down lines. It’s just not possible to project team-wide efficiency in Week 1 of the preseason.

I can be somewhat forgiving but it's not like they were playing against the Raiders star players right?

Daniel Carlson was drafted & cut by the Vikings, then he became awesome with the Raiders.
Matt Gay was drafted & cut by the Bucs, then he became awesome with the Rams.

And this is why you shouldn't have wasted a third round on Jake Moody

Daniel Carlson was drafted & cut by the Vikings, then he became awesome with the Raiders.

You have to really start questioning the judgement of 49ers and their ability to make the right draft pick at this point.

Darnold > Lance

Trading up for either of the guys was the wrong move period.

Ultimately this is my overarching thought. THey should have stood pat and drafted whichever qb fell.

I agree, I bemoaned the pick at the time. But they did, so now they'd be better be patient so he's not another Carlson/Gay.

I agree, I bemoaned the pick at the time. But they did, so now they'd be better be patient so he's not another Carlson/Gay.
Latu has been pretty disappointing so far as well, speaking of third rounders.

If they are in a Super Bowl window and won’t be patient with a QB they invested 3 1st round picks into, I have less faith they’ll be patient with a kicker if he ends up being another Roberto Aguayo, draft capital be damned.

If they are in a Super Bowl window and won’t be patient with a QB they invested 3 1st round picks into, I have less faith they’ll be patient with a kicker if he ends up being another Roberto Aguayo, draft capital be damned.

Games are won and lost on FGs mostly nowadays. He misses a couple he has to go. They can't wait

Games are won and lost on FGs mostly nowadays. He misses a couple he has to go. They can't wait

That is probably what they WILL do, but I respectfully disagree it's what they SHOULD do with the kicker.

Lombardi

49ers' OL pressures (and pass-blocking chances) allowed vs Raiders, from PFF charting:

Nick Zakelj: 4 (28)
Jaylon Moore: 3 (12)
Corey Luciano: 1 (8)
Matt Pryor: 1 (20)
Leroy Watson: 1 (24)
Jason Poe: 1 (28)

Majority of pressure went through Zakelj and Moore. One Lance sack saw Pryor, Zakelj and Moore beaten simultaneously.

Moore Ill give a pass since he's coming off a bone bruise in his knee a couple weeks ago, maybe he's not quite 100%. Zakelj just isn't good.

I really thought Bosa was gonna be signed before today. They need him in the building NOW. I worry about things like hamstrings when players hold out and miss camp and practices, and hes gonna have some rust to knock off.

I'm not worried that a deal will get done, but the sooner the better already, theres ZERO reason for it to be taking this long.

That is probably what they WILL do, but I respectfully disagree it's what they SHOULD do with the kicker.
If they like him enough they can make up an injury and IR him and sign someone else, and hope he’s fine next year. For the Pats they call it “Foxboro Flu” so I’m not sure what the Niners equivalent would be.

If they like him enough they can make up an injury and IR him and sign someone else, and hope he’s fine next year. For the Pats they call it “Foxboro Flu” so I’m not sure what the Niners equivalent would be.

They already have another kicker, Zane Gonzalez, who's been just about as good as Moody throughout camp. He's on the roster for a reason - not for competition per se, but because they know no draft pick is guaranteed, and Gonzalez is their insurance policy.

That said, its pretty clear they believe in Moody and will roll with him.

The 49ers will see these players return to practice this week:

DE Robert Beal Jr.
DT Kalia Davis
LB Dre Greenlaw
WR Danny Gray
DE Drake Jackson
RB Elijah Mitchell

George Kittle is expected back next week

Per Lombardi

Looking forward to see how Kalia Davis looks, they were high on him going into the offseason. Could be a run stuffer in the middle, he's a DJ Jones clone in size.

Also, all restrictions are off Purdy now. No more scheduled days off/on. He's full go.

Users who are viewing this thread