What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** Aiyuk remains a holdout (4 Viewers)

Maiocco:

49ers pre-practice injury report via coach Kyle Shanahan:

No practice
OL Nick Zakelj (biceps)
LG Aaron Banks (toe)
LT Trent Williams (rest day)

Limited
RT Colton McKivitz (ankle)
LB Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles (ankle)

What’s Banks timeline?

I hate being arrogant, but I’m good giving Trent the week off against TB and letting him sit. He needs to be 100% if we’re going to make a SB run this season.

What’s Banks timeline?

I hate being arrogant, but I’m good giving Trent the week off against TB and letting him sit. He needs to be 100% if we’re going to make a SB run this season.
Banks won't be back til week 12 at the earliest IIRC.

No chance Trent sits even though I agree with you. They're saying he was only 60-70% Sunday, and he allowed 4 pressures and a QB hit, and had a penalty. He was great in run blocking though.

Feliciano looked pretty good in Banks' place and I think they should let McKivitz sit and play Jaylon Moore on the right side and see how that works.

Christian McCaffrey is 4 catches away from passing Roger Craig for the most receptions by a RB in the first seven seasons of their career (per NFL Communications)

Another record about to be smashed.

49ers work out former CB Jason Verrett, who is just over a year removed from his Achilles tear at practice. He was released form the Texans practice squad Wednesday.

#49ers injury report

Out
G Aaron Banks (toe)
G Nick Zakelj (biceps)

Questionable
DE Robert Beal (hamstring)
CB Darrell Luter (knee)
CB Samuel Womack (knee)

Beal, Luter and Womack are not on 53-man roster; they’ve finished Week 2 of practice window from injury lists.

WR Danny Gray (IR) is healthy but hasn't had his 21-day window opened yet. CBs Darrell Luter and Samuel Womack and DE Robert Beal have practiced for past two weeks and are rounding into shape, per Shanahan.

49ers were impressed with CB Jason Verretts workout and are hoping to sign him to their practice squad, according to Kyle Shanahan. Shanahan said Verrett still beloved around these parts, as multiple players watched his workout to offer support.

Christian McCaffrey is 4 catches away from passing Roger Craig for the most receptions by a RB in the first seven seasons of their career (per NFL Communications)

Another record about to be smashed.
I'm kinda shocked Craig had that record. I would have guessed Faulk or Tomlinson.

I was kinda glad CMC didn't get a TD last week, as Lenny Moore is kind of a forgotten player, that was really 50's-60's Faulk so its cool he's still got a share of that record. I hope CMC gets this one, and it might even happen this week.

Where Brock Purdy ranks among QBs in these statistical categories:

Passer Rating: #1
QBR: #1
Yards per attempt: #1
Adjusted EPA per play: #1
Big-Time Throw Rate: #5
Completion %: #7
Passer RTG under pressure: #1
Comp. % under pressure: #1
YPA under pressure: #1

Should the 49ers maybe be more pass heavy now that all of Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle, and Williams are playing.

49ers defense went back to what DeMeco Ryans did, and the results speak for themselves.

If it ain't broke....

“We were disguising hella last game,” cornerback Charvarius Ward said. “The safeties disguised pretty well. I know they confused Trevor Lawrence on a lot of plays. Just going back and watching the film, what he thought was going to be there wasn’t there.”

Safety Talanoa Hufanga indicated Wilks used more of the coverages the 49ers had employed with DeMeco Ryans, their coordinator the previous two seasons.

“I think it was just allowing us to be tighter in our coverages that we’ve already played before,” Hufanga said. “Just allowing it to tie in with the rush and being able to show more disguises, getting back to our basics. It kind of allowed us to play fast. … Not saying that we’re there. We’ve got to do it every week.”

This is the way.

Woah, just realized that the only 3 teams that have beaten us have all lost their QB for the season (CLE, MIN, CIN).

Next team we lose to better have a good backup. 🤣

#49ers activated rookie CB Darrell Luter Jr. from IR/PUP to the 53-man roster. He had one week left in his 21-day practice window.

They also elevated OL Corey Luciano from the practice squad to the active roster for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay.

Beal Jr and Womack still have a week left to be activated.

Purdy is the first 49ers' QB to have a perfect passer rating in a game since Joe Montana and Steve Young both did it in 1989.

I was pretty frustrated watching the DL fail to put game changing pressure on Mayfield in the second half.
Idk if I’m wrong, but to me, their defense is so predictable. Bring a 5 or 6th pass rusher more. But I do agree, defense def a bigger concern than offense if both are healthy.

Hufanga is not a huge loss imo. His pass coverage has been very suspect.

I was pretty frustrated watching the DL fail to put game changing pressure on Mayfield in the second half.
Idk if I’m wrong, but to me, their defense is so predictable. Bring a 5 or 6th pass rusher more. But I do agree, defense def a bigger concern than offense if both are healthy.

I don't know enough about X's and O's to comment too much on the defensive scheme. But they lined up 4 ostensibly very good pass rushers against Baker freaking Mayfield in obvious, must-pass situations for the entire second half and only brought him down a couple of times? Niner defenses of the past few years would have had a field day in that situation and turned that game into an embarrassing rout.

I guess the bright side is that even though the defense isn't performing like we think it should, the offense is better than its ever been under Shanahan, so in theory we should be able to hang in a shootout.

We may find out soon.

Absolutely no reason to give CMC 26 touches right now, especially in a game that wasn’t contested. That’s ridiculous, lol.

And it’s not like he’s tearing it up on the ground. There’s a reason McCaffrey hasn’t had a 100-yard rushing game since week 4 (his other two were in weeks 1 & 2). He’s on pace for about 350 touches.

Just pure stubbornness. CMC needs to be spelled WAY more, ideally by Mason, who is pretty close to his equal on the ground.

Absolutely no reason to give CMC 26 touches right now, especially in a game that wasn’t contested. That’s ridiculous, lol.

And it’s not like he’s tearing it up on the ground. There’s a reason McCaffrey hasn’t had a 100-yard rushing game since week 4 (his other two were in weeks 1 & 2). He’s on pace for about 350 touches.

Just pure stubbornness. CMC needs to be spelled WAY more, ideally by Mason, who is pretty close to his equal on the ground.
The game wasn't in hand til late in the 4th, but yeah we all think Shanahan needs to spell CMC more.

One things for sure, Mitchell is the clear #2, Mason hasn't had a carry since week 6.

The game wasn't in hand til late in the 4th, but yeah we all think Shanahan needs to spell CMC more.

One things for sure, Mitchell is the clear #2, Mason hasn't had a carry since week 6.
In his very limited use, he looked very serviceable. I’m becoming very concerned about CMC’s usage. We saw the issues with no Trent/Deebo, I’d expect more bad results with a limited or no CMC. He NEEDS to stay healthy and Shanny is pounding him into the ground.

I don't know enough about X's and O's to comment too much on the defensive scheme. But they lined up 4 ostensibly very good pass rushers against Baker freaking Mayfield in obvious, must-pass situations for the entire second half and only brought him down a couple of times? Niner defenses of the past few years would have had a field day in that situation and turned that game into an embarrassing rout.
Maybe @Wingnut can get us the stats, but to me it looks like only 4 are coming most plays, I can only recall a small handful where there were more. I feel like we send an extra pass rusher less than 3/4 of the league.

Wirfs hadn’t allowed a sack up until yesterday, so he’s been defending the pass at an elite level. Combine that with mainly having to protect against 4 with a very predictable scheme and I think therein lies the issue. Wilks really was the wrong guy for this job, imo.

As much as I want to say SF are SB contenders, I just get a bad feeling the way Shanahan leaves CMC in late in games and feeds him up the middle, it's only a matter of time before he takes a huge hit.

I just don't get why he doesn't run Mason late in games, especially when they are up 14+

Yeah, the lack of touches for Mason is surprising. I think Mason is the “ace in the hole” if CMC goes down.

We're back, baby!

Defensive Pressures, #49ers, Week 11, PFF:

1. Arik Armstead, 12 (!!!!)
2. Nick Bosa, 9
3. Chase Young, 5
4. Javon Hargrave, 4

49ers delivered 38 (!!!!) pressures on Sunday vs. Tampa Bay.

49ers' big 4 is DELIVERING in the pass-rush right now.

The front four is the Justin Herbert of defensive positional groupings. Nerds love them but they don’t actually get results.

49ers sacks per game

PIT: 5
LAR: 1
NYG: 2
ARZ: 1
DAL: 4
CLE: 2
MIN: 0
CIN: 3
-------- bye + Chase Young added
JAX: 5
TB: 4

Last season, they averaged 2.5 sacks per game. After 10 games this season, they're averaging 2.7 per game.

49ers defense had 11 pass breakups vs Tampa Bay, their most in a game of the Shanahan era.

The 49ers missed tackles this season:

at Pittsburgh: 7
at LAR: 8
vs. NYG: 3
vs. Arizona: 4
vs. Dallas: 2
at Cleveland: 10
at Minnesota: 9
vs Cincinnati: 13
at Jacksonville: 7
vs Tampa Bay: 4

Per Akash:

Ambry Thomas' last 2 games, since he's been inserted as an outside corner on nickel downs:

- 5 catches on 8 targets, 30 yards
- #15 in PFF's coverage grade

Sneaky huge for the 49ers that Thomas has been able to take over for Oliver and look good on the outside.

Ji'Ayir Brown played good in Hufangas place. I hope he got some confidence, Huf could be out a while.
That’s a loss but not a huge one IMO if Brown is the prospect the team thought he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjA8knK67TM

He had 10 interceptions his last 2 years at Penn State but I believe he had a slow 40 time at the combine that caused him to fall in the draft, even though he's been thought of as having excellent football instincts and ball-hawking ability. Nfl Network's Daniel Jeremiah had brown as his top safety prospect in the 2023 draft.

Ji'Ayir Brown played good in Hufangas place. I hope he got some confidence, Huf could be out a while.
That’s a loss but not a huge one IMO if Brown is the prospect the team thought he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjA8knK67TM

He had 10 interceptions his last 2 years at Penn State but I believe he had a slow 40 time at the combine that caused him to fall in the draft, even though he's been thought of as having excellent football instincts and ball-hawking ability. Nfl Network's Daniel Jeremiah had brown as his top safety prospect in the 2023 draft.
Barrows and Kawakami said on their podcast today that he's looked faster than Hufanga or Gibson, so if the knock on him is speed, he's still providing an upgrade in that department relative to the other personnel.

Eagles just locked up the 1 seed because Scantling dropped the easiest deep pass ever.
We were the biggest losers of the night. Still not over, they’ve got some games that they could lose. I think they beat Buffalo at home next week, and I think they win in Seattle. I’ve got the Dallas game circled, that’s the one that could be the loser for them. If that happens, we need to win out including in Philly, that’s our narrow path. MVS, hero of the day in Philadelphia.

Also, sadly the Lions only have 2 losses, can’t completely ignore them. Their remaining schedule they don’t have 1 team with a winning record except in Dallas.

So basically, we’re Cowboys’ fans in here for the balance of the regular season.

I'm still bitter towards JT O'Sullivan for refusing to sign my hat when I ran into him in New Orleans before a 9ers @Saints game years ago (Isaac Bruce, too). But Vernon Davis made it up to me by signing my hat and taking a picture.

But his breakdowns of Brock Purdy are pretty incredible, gives me a whole other level of appreciation for just how good Purdy is with anticipation and accuracy. This throw is absolutely insane when you see it on the all-22:

Users who are viewing this thread