What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** Aiyuk remains a holdout (14 Viewers)

With Burfords status iffy for Thursday, could this guy see action? 👀

The #49ers have signed OL Ben Bartch off the #Jaguars Practice Squad, per multiple sources. Former fourth-round pick started 20 games in four seasons, including 3 this year.

Bartch fits SF's athleticism profile for the spot: He was a WR in HS, a tight end at the start of college and bulked up to 300+ pounds prior to becoming a fourth-round draft pick at OL.

In order to gain weight, Bartch consumed a protein shake daily consisting of 7 scrambled eggs, a tub of cottage cheese, quick grits, peanut butter, bananas, and Gatorade, growing from 240 pounds to 275 in just the summer. He eventually reached 308 pounds with this method.

Here he is making a smoothie at the combine:

Rams generated 19 defensive pressures on Sunday vs. Seahawks. Seattle's LG, RT both struggled in pass protection.

49ers are coming off of their hottest pass-rushing performance on the season. 91, 97, 98 and 92 are firing on all cylinders. Need them to control Thursday's game.

The Seahawks' defense is ranked 18th in DVOA, which is significantly lower than the 49ers' last 2 opponents.

Jaguars: 6th (49ers hung 34 on them)

Buccaneers: 12th: (49ers hung 27 on them)

-------

Seahawks are 25th in pass defense DVOA. How they rank against opposing receivers:

- WR2: 30th
- TE: 23rd

Short week, divisional game, on the road, but there are significant matchup advantages.

Fewest total TDs allowed on Defense entering Week 12:

1) #Ravens - 15
2) #49ers - 16
3-T) #Steelers - 18
3-T) #Jets - 18
4-T) #Chiefs - 19
4-T) #Titans    - 19

Fewest total points allowed per team so far this season (total, not just defense):

1) #49ers - 157
2) #Chiefs - 164
3) #Cowboys - 175
4) #Ravens - 177
5) #Browns - 180

Teams with most penalties in the NFL entering Week 12:

1) #Seahawks   - 93 total (76 counted against)
2) #Giants - 89 total (62 counted against)
3-T) #Cowboys - 87 total (74 counted against)
3-T) #Packers - 87 total (72 counted against)
5) #Cardinals - 86 total (74 counted against)

Counted against means some of the penalties drawn against the team were either declined or offset.

Kyle Shanahan spoke to the media on Tuesday afternoon and said that right guard Spencer Burford isn’t practicing on Tuesday due to a knee injury. Shanahan said Burford would be fine if the game was on Sunday, but with a short week, Burford’s status for Thursday night is questionable.

Aaron Banks will be limited during Tuesday’s session as he recovers from turf toe. Banks has missed the 49ers previous two games. So, with both starting guards banged up, that would explain why the Niners poached Bartch from the Jaguars practice squad.

Burford is the only player who won’t practice today. If Burford can’t go and Banks can, Jon Feliciano would likely slide over to the right side. If both Burford and Banks miss, Bartch probably starts at left guard with Feliciano playing on the right side.

Here’s who will be listed as limited:

LG Aaron Banks (toe)
CB Shemar Jean-Charles (shoulder)
DT Javon Hargrave (thumb)
WR Ray-Ray McCloud (rib)

Shanahan said the team is still interested in signing cornerback Jason Verrett, but haven’t made the transaction yet.

"The 49ers offensive line ranks No. 19 in ESPN’s pass-block win rate and No. 28 in Pro Football Focus’ pass-block grade." Link.

Not great but makes what Purdy's been doing even more impressive.
If they don't upgrade their OL next season I'm gonna lose my mind.
It's been a huge blind spot for the Shanahan administration. He thinks he can get by with replacement level guard play, but interior pressure is maybe the biggest reason they've lost their big games over the last few years (the Super Bowl and NFCCG against the Rams). Their assertion that there was nobody available in the draft at the end of the third round who could even make the team on the OL was an insane statement.

"The 49ers offensive line ranks No. 19 in ESPN’s pass-block win rate and No. 28 in Pro Football Focus’ pass-block grade." Link.

Not great but makes what Purdy's been doing even more impressive.
If they don't upgrade their OL next season I'm gonna lose my mind.
It's been a huge blind spot for the Shanahan administration. He thinks he can get by with replacement level guard play, but interior pressure is maybe the biggest reason they've lost their big games over the last few years (the Super Bowl and NFCCG against the Rams). Their assertion that there was nobody available in the draft at the end of the third round who could even make the team on the OL was an insane statement.
I appreciate your points and acknowledge them, but I’ll disagree with one: they lost the big games bc of Jimmy G. Sure there was weak interior line play, but a competent QB and they at least crossed the finish line once in that stretch.

I’m good giving a healthy dose of Mitchell in the 2nd half. CMC can’t keep touching the ball this much. 5-6 touches from here out, please Shanny. Think about January!

I’ve been watching on mute, is there something wrong with Moody or is super windy? All the kickoffs were super short tonight.

Not a lot to complain about other than almost letting them get within 7 after the half.

No major injuries, can't wait for next week.

Every single one of the 49ers' victories except for the game where the Rams kicked that odd last-second FG has been won by double digits.

They have 8 wins — so that's 8 routs. This isn't normal in the NFL.

This team is different.

Shanahan said he can't believe Brock Purdy threw it deep on the Aiyuk TD throw — it was actually a tailor-made check-down situation but he had the guts to push it.

"He proved to us while the ball was in the air that it was the right decision."

Dammit!!! 2 safeties in 2 weeks!

Shanahan said George Odum “most likely” tore his biceps, which would be a season-ending injury.

Last edited:
The 49ers are getting so much pressure and generating so many chaotic split sacks that it's creating confusion in the locker room.

Nick Bosa: "After the game, no one has any idea what their stats are. It's a good problem to have."

Look at the angles of the TD throw to Aiyuk - he dropped it in the middle of 4 Seahawks. Ballsy dime throw.

Where Aiyuk caught it: https://ibb.co/QdWScHS
Fascinating play. It seems like Kittle may have been the intended target and would have been wide open if Bobby Wagner hadn't recovered so quickly off the play fake. Woerner seems like the "right" read underneath there given that there are 6 defenders back with Aiyuk and Kittle. But Purdy is under pressure and Woerner doesn't do a good job of getting himself in Purdy's sightline (there's a defender right between them as Purdy is forced to throw). Love that Purdy still had the confidence to go for that even though he was having a pretty shaky second half up to that point.

49ers DVOA ranks

#1 offense
#8 defense
#25 special teams

Eagles DVOA rabks

Offense #6
Defense #17
Special teams #5

49ers confirm that S and special teams ace George Odum tore his biceps last night. He has a very small chance of returning this season. Team needs to add at least one S after losing Talanoa Hufanga, Odum in back-to-back games.

Copied from behind the pay wall at the Athletic

Kawakami: Purdys perfect throw and the electric sense of instant 49er history.

SEATTLE — It was the perfect pass, and yes, it was shocking, too. Perfectly shocking. Shockingly perfect?

“I couldn’t believe he was throwing it,” Kyle Shanahan said later, with a tiny and slightly pained smile.

It was the best pass of Brock Purdy’s NFL career — truly breathtaking to watch in person — it silenced Lumen Field, it sealed this crucial 31-13 victory for the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday, and it was the surest sign yet that Purdy can do anything necessary to get this team to the biggest games and win them.

But it also came not long after Purdy threw one of the worst passes of his life, which brought the Seattle Seahawks back into this game and set up all of the drama in the first place. It felt like a little piece of history happening, right then and there, something that will be recounted in documentaries and long books.

You knew it when you saw it. All of Purdy’s teammates sure knew it. Shanahan’s giddy reaction was evidence that he felt the magnitude of this, too. But Purdy, of course, is the last person who’ll ever play into that kind of rhetoric, which is probably why he’s able to do this kind of stuff in the first place, how he could follow his brutal deflected pick six early in the third quarter with that majestic 28-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Aiyuk a few series later.

“It’s not like, alright, I messed up and I’ve gotta prove to myself or to my team that I can make a big play to get us back in,” Purdy said. “It’s nothing like that. We’d actually ran the ball really well that drive. For myself, it was alright, be smart with the ball, take what the defense gives me.

“So we sorta had a rollout, setup play and I just went through my progression. I felt the safety come down on the right side just enough for BA to get behind him and I ripped it. Obviously looking back, there’s a guy open underneath on the checkdown that was open, too, that would’ve been a big gain and for us to eat the clock up and stuff. But went through the progression, trusted in BA being there and just let it rip.”

Aiyuk had a slightly more succinct description: “That’s what you call a dot.”

But as Shanahan pointed out, Purdy wasn’t supposed to throw it to Aiyuk against that Seahawks coverage. Safety Quandre Diggs was sitting right there in the middle of the field and moving deeper. The window was going to be too tight. George Kittle was wide open on a shorter route. Purdy had to throw it hard to beat Devon Witherspoon on one side and also float it over Diggs. It was almost impossible. One degree off and it would’ve been picked off.

And the last thing Purdy should possibly do after throwing that earlier interception was to throw another one with the 49ers already in position to kick a field goal, right?

Right?????

“He does that pretty consistently — he’s always, always trying to get that one in,” Shanahan said. “Very rarely does he check it down and you tell him he missed the deep one. He looks at it that way.

“Actually, he proved to us while the ball was in the air that it was the right decision.”

But while the ball was in the air …

“Oh yeah, we’re all holding our breath as soon as he lets it go ’cause (Diggs) was so deep,” Shanahan said. “But Brock’s got some touch and he was able to throw it over him. We took the safety out of there with a route, so he knew if he could get over him there was no one else left. He made the throw.”

Purdy, as has been mentioned almost every day of his 49ers starting career, isn’t known for his arm strength, yet that throw was a 95 mph fastball by any measure. He’s been denigrated as a “system quarterback,” but that decision was entirely outside of anything Shanahan wanted him to do. He’s a calm, thoughtful guy, but that play was pure guts and adrenaline. He’s supposedly a safe-and-sane game manager, but he’s also the guy who threw an across-his-body TD two weeks ago (also to Aiyuk, there’s a theme here).

Purdy has critiqued and analyzed every play of his life, and yet where in the heck did Thursday’s throw come from?

That was an All-Pro throw. That was, dare I say it, the kind of throw that could win an NFC Championship Game or Super Bowl. It’s the kind of throw that could’ve beaten the Kansas City Chiefs in February 2020. That was a throw that no 49ers QB since Steve Young or Joe Montana could’ve made. Full stop.

That’s why one of his quieter statistical games (completing 21 of his 30 attempts for 209 yards with the one touchdown and one interception for an 86.7 passer rating) still seemed like another threshold Purdy moment. Even though all the back-and-forth about his ranking and his status is beyond tiresome at this point, that kind of throw — and the 49ers’ 8-3 record and hold on first place in the NFC West — puts everything on the table.

There also was that earlier throw, which is part of the full Purdy picture, too. Shanahan partly blamed himself for giving Purdy a “double-call” from their own 4-yard line early in the third quarter — two plays for Purdy to pick between depending on the coverage the defense showed at the line of scrimmage. But the Seahawks disguised what they were doing, which put Purdy into a bad play once Seattle rotated out of the look. The result was bad, but that Shanahan gave Purdy that option deep in their own territory was a sign of confidence.

“That was an unfortunate play,” Shanahan said. “But didn’t faze him at all. He came right back and made a helluva play to seal it.”

The 12-yard pick six by Jordyn Brooks brought the Lumen crowd back into the game. It closed it to 24-10 after the 49ers had totally dominated the first half. It could’ve wholly shaken Purdy, who, after all, is still in his first full season as an NFL starting QB. But no, not this guy.

“Ice in his veins,” Christian McCaffrey said.

After the 49ers’ defense held the Seahawks to just a field goal over their next two possessions, Purdy and the offense got the ball back again. They knew the defense was playing well. The 49ers just needed to eat some time and get one more score. It didn’t have to be dramatic. It shouldn’t have been dramatic.

And yet …

“Obviously, it sucked going through it, gotta learn from it,” Purdy said of the interception. “But in terms of who I am playing this position, that can’t change. That’s what I had to keep telling myself.”

Or he could just keep throwing perfect, shocking, stunning, game-clinching passes. Purdy’s made a lot of excellent throws already in his short career. He’s got great teammates. But he’s put himself in this spot. He put himself in a bad spot Thursday, and then he elevated to a higher place a quarter later. How much higher can he go? How far can he take the 49ers? We’re seeing it. Purdy just keeps rising.

Seems Shanahan overrode Wilks' plan for Charvarius Ward on Thursday night.

Link

Charvarius Ward made life miserable for Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf. Funny thing is, that wasn’t the plan until the last minute.

Prior to the game, Ward had a different job to do on Thanksgiving. After a talk with John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan, that changed. Here’s Ward’s comments in the locker room:

"I think he asked the DB Coach [49ers defensive backs coach Daniel Bullocks] and he and John Lynch talked, and they were wondering why I wasn’t following DK tonight. The game plan wasn’t for me to follow him. I guess he talked to John Lynch and Coach Shanahan was like, “Why not? We need him to.” They told me to do it, and I was up for the task. I feel like I had a pretty good game."

What may have happened was Daniel Bullocks spoke to John Lynch, Lynch went to Kyle Shanahan, and Kyle Shanahan adjusted immediately.

Outside of his injury during the game, Ward never left Metcalf. Metcalf was held to three receptions on nine targets and 32 yards with 0 touchdowns.

Some may read into this and bring Steve Wilks into it, thinking he had a hand in the original plan or that his defensive gameplan was terrible so Shanahan got involved. The truth is Wilks called a great game with some perfectly timed blitzes and made life hell for Geno Smith all night. If it was Wilks who had the original idea for Ward to not cover Metcalf it’s as simple as 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan being 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan. It’d be more concerning if Shanahan wasn’t getting his fingerprints on the defensive gameplan, even in small adjustments.

They had a plan, Shanahan made an adjustment, simple as that. And it turned out to be the right call.

If Buffalo doesn't drop 2 gimmie TDs, next week would be a fight for the #1 seed.

I actually think the Eagles pulling out the win vs Buffalo was a good thing because I don't think they'd lose 2 in a row at home.

They look VERY beatable, they just played 5 physical and emotional quarters, got banged up a bit, and have 6 days rest while we have 10.

I REALLY like our chances to knock em off their perch next week.

Oh, and opening as favorites against them in their house has to ruffle their feathers a bit 😄

Last edited:
Eagles defense played 91 snaps vs Buffalo. That's like a game and a half of plays.

49er defense played just 48 snaps vs Seattle and have 10 days rest.

Last edited:
Point differentials after 11 games:

49ers: +140
Eagles: +64

The Eagles have been in 8 one-score games this season (They’re 7-1 in them). They’re not blowing teams out of the water like SF has.

Yea I don't think the Eagles pull out the win next week, but you never know. Purdy has been very good, so I suspect he'll be able to light up our secondary.

Eagles’ defense is #17 DVOA and their run defense hasn’t been good either (#19). Neither unit looked good against Buffalo in the rain.

Looks to be a good matchup for the 49ers #1 offense.

Let's goooooo!!!! Cry Eagles, cry!!!
We've had 5 more rush/against attempts than SF (230 vs 225). We've given up 30 more rushing yards. Our ypc against is 4.1 to your 4.0. Both have given up 5 rushing TDs. Our run defense is lights out. Which is why no one runs against us, just like you. Most teams have way over 300 rushing attempts against them. SF has the least amount, we have the second least amount-a delta of 5.

Eagles’ defense is #17 DVOA and their run defense hasn’t been good either (#19). Neither unit looked good against Buffalo in the rain.

Looks to be a good matchup for the 49ers #1 offense.

Let's goooooo!!!! Cry Eagles, cry!!!
We've had 5 more rush/against attempts than SF (230 vs 225). We've given up 30 more rushing yards. Our ypc against is 4.1 to your 4.0. Both have given up 5 rushing TDs. Our run defense is lights out. Which is why no one runs against us, just like you. Most teams have way over 300 rushing attempts against them. SF has the least amount, we have the second least amount-a delta of 5.
Agreed. Now the pass D on the other hand is cringe worthy. If the Eagles ever lose a game again, I’m guessing that will be the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread