What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** Aiyuk remains a holdout (4 Viewers)

I'm hearing Colt McKivitz is having a great camp and looks like he might actually be an upgrade over McGlinchey in pass protection.

With Banks, Brendel and Burford all coming back as well as T Williams, our OL will be fine. People hoping it's not gonna be good are gonna be disappointed.

Injury updates:

RB Elijah Mitchell was held out of practice due to an adductor strain. He’ll probably be out of action for a week, coach Kyle Shanahan said. Link

LG Aaron Banks is in concussion protocol. Link

OT Jaylon Moore sustained a bone bruise to his knee in practice Wednesday and did not practice today. That’s good news, coach Kyle Shanahan said, based on how he felt. Link

DT Kalia Davis (hamstring) was held out of another day of #49ers practice. Link

Another possible late round find

Add [6th round LB] Dee Winters' INT of Trey Lance as another play for the 49ers' rookie linebacker. A couple days ago, Winters preyed on a Sam Darnold throw into the flat for a nice pass break-up. The pads have come on and Winters is starting to flash Link

Recap of 49ers 2023 draft:

3rd: S Ji’Ayir Brown, PSU
3rd: K Jake Moody, MICH
3rd: TE Cameron Latu, BAMA
5th: CB Darrell Luter, SAU
5th: DE Robert Beal, UGA
6th: LB Dee Winters, TCU
7th: TE Brayden Willis, OU
7th: WR Ronnie Bell, MICH
7th: LB Jalen Graham, PUR

I'd TDP takes a step, our RB room is gonna be pretty sick.

Anthony Lynn has been very impressed with 49ers RB Ty Davis-Price. He’s cut fat yet managed to increase weight to about 228 pounds. Expect some really fast, physical running this season from the second-year back. We’ve already seen that at camp

A year ago, Ty Davis-Price arrived at 214 pounds. This year he’s around 230, his weight at LSU. As a result, he’s more comfortable, confident and seems poised for a second-year leap.

Both lottery tickets but between Mason and TDP which one do you prefer for fantasy?
It’s tough to say. Right now they both are getting solid reviews. I assume Mason has the leg up just because he proved himself to be competent last year both as a RB and on ST. TDP still has to prove himself as a ST to even keep himself on the active roster. the preseason games will probably be important for this competition.

Lombardi:

Brock Purdy had only one training camp practice last season with a completion percentage of under 50%. Same as this season: Purdy's one practice under 50% was his first coming off of elbow surgery (3-10).

Since then, Purdy has ripped four straight practices at 70%.

The 49ers are thrilled with how quickly their QB1 is working off inevitable rust
Link

Wingnut:

Thanks for all the updates. Would you give your view of how the SF defense looks overall so far in camp? I see talk about some individual standouts (mostly Kinlaw) but I'm curious as to whether the unit as a whole looks as good as advertised so far

Wingnut:

Thanks for all the updates. Would you give your view of how the SF defense looks overall so far in camp? I see talk about some individual standouts (mostly Kinlaw) but I'm curious as to whether the unit as a whole looks as good as advertised so far
From what I'm hearing/seeing, it looks like a top flight defense again, and on paper it looks even better than last year. Steve Wilks is like a kid in a candy shop right now with all the talent we have. Can't wait to see what he does with it.

I wouldn't worry about the defense at all.

Edit: Nick Bosa isn't even at camp yet

Last edited:
Camp day 8

Rohan:

Watched #49ers OL/DL in 1s. Quick takeaways:

Colton McKivitz continues to hold up well. Beat Alex Barrett, Clelin Ferrell, and Drake Jackson on his three reps. Good speed to stay in front of Jackson on a rep, and some solid anchoring.

Javon Hargrave is proving why he’s such a good pass-rusher. Made easy work of Joey Fisher, Corey Luciano, and Nick Zakelj on three separate reps. Real strong with his bull rush.

Jake Brendel impressed me today. Held up well in pass pro against Javon Kinlaw and Arik Armstead on separate reps.

Lastly, Taco Charlton with another solid day of 1-on-1s. Lost a rep against Ilm Manning, but beat Jaylon Moore on a rep and had a nasty spin move against Manning the second go around.

Link

[7th round pick] TE Brayden Willis has stacked multiple good performances now with his day on Friday.

Slowly breaking away as the top backup TE on the team in camp for the #49ers.

Link

Is Moody as advertised? Wondering what his true power is like/will he be a guy that can hit those 60 yarders?

@LombardiHimself

We should slow down and appreciate how well this training camp is going for the 49ers' QB room...

🏈 Brock Purdy is ripping throws and looking solid in his QB1 role less than 5 months off of surgery after an initial return prognosis of 6 months.

🏈 Trey Lance has completed 69% of his passes after only connecting on 55% in 2022 camp. He's done what many doubted: carry over mechanical improvement from work with Jeff Christensen to 11v11 work and it's showing up in better accuracy.

🏈 Sam Darnold has completed 66% of his passes without throwing a single INT. Picks were Darnold's biggest early-career problem and the fact he's avoided them suggests he's acing his first 49ers' challenge: learning Shanahan's playbook.

🏈 Brandon Allen has gone 10-11 over the past two days. He's probably the most competent #4 in the NFL

Link

Standout players on Day 8 of 49ers Training Camp​

Here were the standout players from Day 8

RB Christian McCaffrey​

Christian McCaffrey is just such a special player, and its been on display every time he touches the field. The 49ers' running back room has seen some solid play all throughout training camp, so its notable when sharing that McCaffrey has been miles ahead of the rest, with his combination of vision, elusiveness, and hard running style just working to perfection.

McCaffrey got his biggest share, it seemed, on Friday, which made sense, given the longer practice, and flourished, taking a few runs for at least five-six yards, with the potential of at least one going to the house.

With the offensive line getting better in the run game, McCaffrey continues to see longer runs, and it's very clear he'll be as featured, if not more, in his first full season with the 49ers.

Not to mention, McCaffrey dominates every time he touches the field in 1-on-1s.

TE George Kittle​

George Kittle has been the primary storyline at tight end this offseason, mainly due to the lack of an emergence amongst his backups, and continued his strong play on Friday, mossing Dre Greenlaw on a 35-yard deep ball from Brock Purdy that was underthrown, which was one of the plays of the day.

Kittle caught three passes on the day, earning four targets, with the lone misfire coming on a good pass breakup from Ambry Thomas.

Kittle's rapport with the quarterbacks is continuing to develop, and it's nice to see him earn some reps downfield as a pass-catcher, where he's proven to be a viable threat, both with his route-running and speed, as well as with his contested catch ability.

DL Taco Charlton​

Taco Charlton is the next Charles Omenihu.

But, seriously, Charlton has seen a hell of a start to camp, winning two of his three 1-on-1 reps, beating Jaylon Moore and splitting ones with Ilm Manning, with the win coming off a nice spin move to the inside.

In team drills, Charlton recorded a pressure and a run stop, displaying his impact in both areas of the field. It's been too early to tell, but Charlton has put a dent into the 49ers' plans at defensive line, making a case to earn a 53-man roster spot after hopping right off a plane into practice earlier in the week.

You could argue he's been the top defensive end upon his arrival in San Francisco.

OT Colton McKivitz​

The Colton McKivitz show in 1-on-1s continued, as the offensive tackle won two reps, one against Clelin Ferrell and another against Drake Jackson. While both aren't great pass-rushers, it's important to note the success he's seen in 1-on-1 reps, displaying some of the pass-protection skills he has.

Now, his true test will only come during joint practices, where he'll face Maxx Crosby, and especially in the preseason, but he's been fine so far in 1-on-1s, although a little inconsistent in 11-on-11s.

Additionally, the runs to the right side with the first-team offense have been gaining some traction. McKivitz is no McGlinchey in the run game for sure, but if he can at least be average, it'll provide the 49ers with their full arsenal on the ground, where stars like McCaffrey can impose their will.

TE Brayden Willis​

Brayden Willis arguably had his best practice yet after stacking a few solid outings this week, catching two passes in team drills, and looking solid once again with his hands.

Willis is an interesting case; he may not be the best athlete or route-runner, but has gotten some good separation on different plays, which has allowed the quarterbacks to be more comfortable targeting the rookie tight end.

The hands are what has separated him as well so far, with the remainder of the backup tight ends underwhelming to begin training camp.

Written By
Rohan Chakravarthi
Writer/Reporter for 49ers Webzone

The San Francisco 49ers will hold four full practices this week as the team prepares for its preseason game against the Las Vegas Raiders.

Below is the schedule, which is subject to change, for the upcoming week. All times are Pacific.

Monday, August 7
9:15 a.m. - Kyle Shanahan press conference
10:25 a.m. - Practice
Following practice - Player availability

Tuesday, August 8
10:25 a.m. - Practice
Following practice - Player availability

Wednesday, August 9
Players' day off - No media availability

Thursday, August 10 (Practice in Henderson, NV w/ Raiders)
8:40 a.m. - Practice
Following practice - Kyle Shanahan press conference
Following Shanahan - Player availability

Friday, August 11 (Practice in Henderson, NV w/ Raiders)
8:40 a.m. - Practice
Following practice - Steve Wilks press conference
Following Wilks - Player availability

Saturday, August 12
Walk-thru - No media availability

Sunday, August 13
1:00 p.m. - 49ers at Raiders

Monday practice:

Defensive line cooking to begin. Have six sacks already charted through the first session. Of course, some on QBs.

QBs stats 1st session:

Brock Purdy: 5/6, 3 TDs, 2 sacks
Sam Darnold: 2/3 TD, near INT
Trey Lance: 1/1, 1 TD, 2 sacks, INT after sack

Both Brock Purdy and Trey Lance have run in a TD so far today. Purdy also threw TDs on three straight red-zone plays

Practice notes:

Long, hot 49ers practice. They’ll likely ease off Tuesday prior to flying to Vegas. Both the offense and defense made many plays today, balance I’m sure Shanahan likes to see at this point of camp.

Purdy: 9-17, 3 TD, INT (pick 6)
Darnold: 5-9, TD
Lance: 3-7, TD, INT
Allen: 3-4

All TDs came in red-zone work

Brock Purdy's pick-6 came on a fourth-down situation with a big blitz dialed up by new 49ers DC Steve Wilks. Purdy released with pressure in his face and Dre Greenlaw deflected the ball into the air. Tashaun Gipson Sr. picked it off

Shanahan said the plan right now is for Purdy to practice both days versus the Raiders but hold him out of Sunday's preseason game. He said it's possible he changes his mind, but that's the loose plan right now.

Per Nick Wagoner:

Brock Purdy had 31 reps (all w/ 1s) today and I had him at 8-of-17 with 3 TDs, an INT and a rushing TD on a scramble.

Today a good example of the numbers not telling the whole story. Purdy had some of his best throws of camp but didn't get a lot of help from pass catchers.

Purdy's first completion was a deep crosser that led WR McCloud perfectly. He later hit three straight in the red zone for TDs to Jauan Jennings, Tay Martin and Willie Snead IV.

TD to Jennings, in particular, was on the money in right corner.

Purdy had at least four that were catchable to McCaffrey (x2), Deebo and Danny Gray that fell incomplete. CMC couldn't get second foot down on a TD, didn't turn his head on a second for a would-be big gainer.

On INT Purdy got pressured, Greenlaw deflected, Gipson pick.

Shanahan said the plan right now is for Purdy to practice both days versus the Raiders but hold him out of Sunday's preseason game. He said it's possible he changes his mind, but that's the loose plan right now.

Don't think it makes sense to put Purdy in a live-action game at this point. Not worth the risk.

Don't think it makes sense to put Purdy in a live-action game at this point. Not worth the risk.

He will play in Week 2 or week 3, maybe a couple of series, but that's about it for preseason

The 49ers signed RB Jeremy McNichols, who was with them during the 2017 season and 2018 offseason, and waived rookie RB Ronald Awatt.

Barrows

This team is going to be a real problem for the NFC. I'm already awaiting the PHI/SF rematch. Can any other team in the NFC stick with either them? Those are some good football teams. Hope Shanny leaves somebody in other than a tight end to block Reddick this time.

This team is going to be a real problem for the NFC. I'm already awaiting the PHI/SF rematch. Can any other team in the NFC stick with either them? Those are some good football teams. Hope Shanny leaves somebody in other than a tight end to block Reddick this time.
The NFC is very weak. 2 really good teams, 2 good teams. A lot of "Lets see what happens teams"

Fully expect the Niners to be in the 11-13 win range.

Coach can call plays and design an offense.

As far as "in game management" I have questions though.

The NFC is very weak. 2 really good teams, 2 good teams. A lot of "Lets see what happens teams"

Fully expect the Niners to be in the 11-13 win range.

Coach can call plays and design an offense.

As far as "in game management" I have questions though.

I like the Lions this year, they're ready to have a breakout season.

Watched Hard Knocks last night. Was anyone else that watched surprised to see Jeff Ulbrich is the Jets DC? I had no idea he was a coach of any kind.

He was a 3rd round pick in 2000 and played his whole 10 year career with SF. He was a solid LB for several years on some pretty bad 49er teams.

49ers QBs vs. Raiders (scrimmage)

Brock Purdy
11-on-11 reps (all w/ the 1st team): 27
Passing: 11 of 16

Trey Lance
11-on-11 reps: 19
Passing: 6 of 12

Sam Darnold
11-on-11 reps: 9
Passing: 1 of 3

Brandon Allen
11-on-11 reps: 0

First joint practice with #Raiders just ended. No fights. Brock Purdy: 10 of 16, 2 red-zone TDs, INT. This stats are quite “unofficial” given a telescope was require to see much of practice.

With McCloud out for at least the first few games of the regular season, the Niners will likely give more preseason opportunities to players like Danny Gray, Chris Conley, Ronnie Bell, Willie Snead IV, and Tay Martin. Of that group, Gray seemed like the only near-lock to make the regular-season roster. McCloud’s injury may have changed that equation, especially since Snead and Bell are currently listed as the team’s backup returners.

“I think after the second preseason game we'll see him [Nick Bosa] back with the team" - @mlombardiNFL (via @PatMcAfeeShow)

Just get it done already!

You started the SF week 1 preseason game thread in February?

I'm expecting some next level analysis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread