What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** Aiyuk remains a holdout (3 Viewers)

Link

Greenlaw and Hargrave miss second straight practice.

The San Francisco 49ers may be thin on defense this Sunday against Kyler Murray and the Arizona Cardinals.

According to the beat reporters on hand for practice on Thursday, Armstead, Hargrave, Greenlaw, Mitchell, Burks, and Dwelley all missed again.

Burford and Thomas returned, while Mooney worked on the side of the field.

Generally speaking, if you don’t practice on Thursday, you’re doubtful for Sunday. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. There are also exceptions to the time of year and the schedule.

If this were a playoff game against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, I’m not sure we’d have to worry about missing half, if any of the players listed above. But it’s not. And the 49ers are expected to win this game comfortably.

If you’re Shanahan, do you rest the likes of Hargrave, Ward, and Greenlaw and hope they recover for next week’s showdown against the Baltimore Ravens? It’s a risky proposition. The Cardinals have run the ball well with Kyler Murray, so missing three starters down the middle of your defense will make life more difficult.

It feels like a stretch to say that the Niners will lose to the 3-10 Cardinals, but Kyler Murray and Connor have been successful running the ball during the previous month. If the 49ers do indeed play this game without several key starters, the game may be uglier and sloppier than expected.

Last edited:
Add Aaron Banks to the injury list. He missed practice with a hip injury.

So both 49ers' first-string guards are on the injury report now (Burford the other)

Last time this happened was Thanksgiving week, when Banks ended up gutting it out through a turf toe injury to spare SF some problems.

Jon Feliciano has already started games at guard this season and the 49ers have now had a few weeks to work in veteran Ben Bartch, whom they signed off Jacksonville's practice squad before that Thanksgiving game. Veteran Jesse Davis would also be an option off the practice squad.

Per Lombardi:

Dre Greenlaw and Aaron Banks both back out at practice. That’s good news for the 49ers.

Charvarius Ward is again working out on the side with his jersey on. He’s more likely to play vs Arizona than Javon Hargrave, who’s also working on the side.

No Arik Armstead (expected)

49ers at the start of Friday’s practice:

No: Arik Armstead, Oren Burks, Elijah Mitchell

Side field: Charvarius Ward, Javon Hargrave, Ross Dwelley

Practicing: Dre Greenlaw, Aaron Banks, Spencer Burford, Darrell Luter Jr.

It'll be another competition between RB Jeremy McNichols and Tyrion Davis-Price to be called up for Sunday's game.

The 49ers will likely be fully stocked across the entire offense (OL had been in question) and at the two key LB spots. There’s a chance they’re fully loaded in secondary, pending Ward’s status.

With our top 2 interior DTs out, itll be Javon Kinlaw and Kevin Givens to get the start – the first time that duo has been in the starting lineup together this season – with second-year player Kalia Davis and practice squadder T.Y. McGill filling in at the position. McGill played 181 defensive snaps last season, though run defense is not his specialty.

injury report for Sunday per Kyle Shanahan:

OUT: DT Javon Hargrave, DT Arik Armstead, TE Ross Dwelley, LB Oren Burks, RB Elijah Mitchell

QUESTIONABLE: LB Dre Greenlaw, G Spencer Burford, G Aaron Banks, CB Mooney Ward

Big depth test this week.

Go Buffalo today and Seattle tomorrow!

Philly quietly demoted Sean Desai from DC and promoted Matt Patricia to calling defensive plays. They're mashing panic buttons over there 🤣

Points scored by the 49ers in each week during their six-game winning streak:

Week 10: 34
Week 11: 27
Week 12: 31
Week 13: 42
Week 14: 28
Week 15: 45

BALLIN

RB Christian McCaffrey and WR Deebo Samuel both have at least 5 rushing TD and 5 receiving TD this season.

That makes the Niners the first team in NFL history with multiple players to hit that mark in the same season.

Jake Moodys FG in the 4th quarter tonight was his first FG attempt since the 2nd quarter vs Seattle Thanksgiving night 3 weeks ago.

Nothing but TDs with no need for FG attempts the next 13 quarters spanning 4 games (Seahawks, Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals)

It feels like a stretch to say that the Niners will lose to the 3-10 Cardinals, but Kyler Murray and Connor have been successful running the ball during the previous month. If the 49ers do indeed play this game without several key starters, the game may be uglier and sloppier than expected.
Posted this Thursday, from an article by Kyle Posey. He nailed it.

I see the defense bouncing back big next week against the Ravens if we get our starters back on the D line. If not, it might be a shootout.

This thing is over. If the Niners stay healthy there isn't anyone gonna stop them.

Just solid from top to bottom, sideways, up and down...over and out. They just have that look, man. A juggernaut in every sense of the word this year.

This thing is over. If the Niners stay healthy there isn't anyone gonna stop them.

Just solid from top to bottom, sideways, up and down...over and out. They just have that look, man. A juggernaut in every sense of the word this year.
I believe you believe this, but at the same time I know your game, so I'm just gonna say from your keyboard to the football gods' ears.

I believe you believe this, but at the same time I know your game, so I'm just gonna say from your keyboard to the football gods' ears.
:lol:

Well, the Chiefs have no prayer of making it to the Super Bowl this year so I pretty comfortable about the Niners.

This game on Christmas day should be our Super Bowl preview. To me the two best teams in the NFL. And I don't think Baltimore has enough for the Niners.

I'm so traumatized from watching 25 years of mostly terrible offenses that I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop with this unit, though I don't think it will as long as everyone is healthy. Seriously, except for maybe a few isolated flashes from the Kaepernick's first 2 years and some periods where Garcia-Owens was unstoppable, we haven't been able to count on a Niners offense to consistently score points in big moments since Young got knocked out in '98.

I'm so traumatized from watching 25 years of mostly terrible offenses that I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop with this unit, though I don't think it will as long as everyone is healthy. Seriously, except for maybe a few isolated flashes from the Kaepernick's first 2 years and some periods where Garcia-Owens was unstoppable, we haven't been able to count on a Niners offense to consistently score points in big moments since Young got knocked out in '98.

It's pretty cool. Every time Purdy drops back and uncorks one downfield, I'm expecting a big play or TD. The past few years, every time Jimmy uncorked one downfield, first I'd think "wow, he didn't check it down!" and then I'd think "please don't get picked, pease don't get picked..." I have none of that with Brock.

Having total confidence in our QB and the offense takes me back to those days where I felt we could score on any play and beat any team. I haven't felt that way in a loooong time, and it's glorious.

I agree that injuries are the only thing that can kill this teams chance for a SB IMO.

Ravens follower dropping in here to wish the 49er fans good luck next Monday. I think the Niners are better than Baltimore and will win. The Ravens have played 2 or 3 what could be called "complete games" this year - they'll need that to stay in the game.

I hope it's a fun game and that there are no major injuries.

Oof.

The missed tackles yesterday were atrocious. If this squad wants to bring home #6 they’ll have to clean that area up.

Here’s a look at the number of missed tackles this season. Not a good trend the past 3 weeks.

at PIT: 7
at LAR: 8
vs NYG: 3
vs AZ: 4
vs DAL: 2
at CLE: 10
at MIN: 9
vs CIN: 13
at JAX: 7
vs TB: 4
at SEA: 5
at PHI: 12
vs SEA: 14
at AZ: 16

Pleasant surprise on the OL!

Feliciano > Burford

Jon Feliciano this season on 164 pass-blocking opportunities & 338 total snaps:

• 0 sacks given up
• 10 pressures allowed
• 1 quarterback hit
• 97.0 pass-blocking efficiency
• 87.7 run-blocking grade (PFF)

The 49ers signed Jon to a one-year deal worth $2.25M back in March & suddenly looks like an offseason priority

For the second straight week, Feliciano was PFF's highest graded offensive player for the 49ers. He had a clean sheet vs. the Cardinals. Will make things interesting when RG Spencer Burford is back from a knee injury.

Pleasant surprise on the OL!

Feliciano > Burford

Jon Feliciano this season on 164 pass-blocking opportunities & 338 total snaps:

• 0 sacks given up
• 10 pressures allowed
• 1 quarterback hit
• 97.0 pass-blocking efficiency
• 87.7 run-blocking grade (PFF)

The 49ers signed Jon to a one-year deal worth $2.25M back in March & suddenly looks like an offseason priority

For the second straight week, Feliciano was PFF's highest graded offensive player for the 49ers. He had a clean sheet vs. the Cardinals. Will make things interesting when RG Spencer Burford is back from a knee injury.
A guy you don't notice during the game, which is a good thing for an interior OL man

Not ideal.

Shanahan said that he's "not sure" when Arik Armstead and Javon Hargrave will return, but that they do have a chance to make it back this week.

All 49ers injury updates, per Shanahan:

* Deommodore Lenoir (bruised ribs) day to day
* Jauan Jennings (concussion) in protocol
* Clelin Ferrell (ankle) day to day
* Javon Hargarve (hamstring) Will see how it goes this week
Arik Armstead (knee, foot) Will see how it goes this week
* Ross Dwelley (ankle) Will see how it goes this week
* Spencer Burford (knee) expected back
* Kalia Davis (high ankle) will miss some time

Bench Purdy against the Ravens? I kid, I kid but.......hmmmmm
You mean bench Lamar vs. the Niners
It was a joke. Sort of. I feel like the one way the Niners don't win a Super Bowl will be because of a key injury. With the Eagles loss tonight, they've basically clinched the 1 seed. I get that they cannot bench anyone against Baltimore but they also better do every thing they can to keep their stars healthy for the playoffs.

I think they may rest Hargrave and Armstead again this week and anyone else who's banged up...our offense is healthy and we have the horses to win a shootout.

Edit: if players can play they'll play. This game is must win, we can't assume we're gonna beat Washington and the Rams. Gotta win every game until the #1 seed is locked up.

Last edited:
The 1999 and 2001 Rams had the MVP and the OPOY on the same team.

Kurt Warner won the MVP and Marshall Faulk won the OPOY.

Brock Purdy and Christian McCaffrey currently lead the odds for these awards right now.

One of the only things that concerns me going into the playoffs is special teams. We're ranked in the low to mid 20s in that phase, don't have a decent returner right now, and Moody hasn't been tested outside of the game winner he missed in Cleveland.

Only 3 teams have fewer FG attempts than SF (DET, NE, LAC).

Moody is 18 of 21 (85.7%) on FG this season. He's a perfect 53 for 53 on XPs.

13 of 13 from under 40 yards
3 of 5 from 40-49yds
2 of 3 from 50+

If a playoff game comes down to a kick to win, I'm not sure I have much confidence in Moody. Losing because of a missed kick would be the worst ending to this season I can imagine.

If a playoff game comes down to a kick to win, I'm not sure I have much confidence in Moody. Losing because of a missed kick would be the worst ending to this season I can imagine.

:goodposting: Can't imagine the pressure of being a highly-drafted rookie kicker on a juggernaut like the Niners, facing a potentially game-winning kick in the playoffs. I would prefer we don't ever have to find out how he'd do in that situation.

The 49ers lead the NFL in turnover differential at +13. They have the most takeaways (+25) and fewest giveaways (12)

Fun fact: the 49ers have 5 fewer giveaways as a team (12) than Jalen Hurts has on his own (17) 🤣

49ers QBs that have started at least 1 game since Jeff Garcia in 2003:

Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Cody Pickett
Alex Smith
Trent Dilfer
Shaun Hill
Chris Weinke
JT O'Sullivan
Troy Smith
David Carr
Colin Kaepernick
Bland Gabbert
Brian Hoyer
Nick Mullens
CJ Beathard
Jimmy Garoppolo
Trey Lance

That's 17 QBs from 2004 - 2022.

We've paid our dues. We deserve Brock Purdy.

Merry Christmas, 49er fans!

Last edited:
#49ers can win two of their final three -- vs. Baltimore, @ Washington, vs. LAR -- to wrap up No. 1 seed in NFC and have home field advantage.

Niners hold H2H tiebreakers vs. Philly/Dallas and would win out on division record tiebreaker against Detroit even if they finish with same conference record.

Honestly, that last game vs LAR scares me. Hoping we take care of business vs Baltimore and Washington and can just rest vs LAR.

One of the only things that concerns me going into the playoffs is special teams. We're ranked in the low to mid 20s in that phase, don't have a decent returner right now, and Moody hasn't been tested outside of the game winner he missed in Cleveland.

Any idea when Ray Ray should be coming back? Completely agree about the returner.

Users who are viewing this thread