What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** Aiyuk remains a holdout (3 Viewers)

It was like Kyle either thought we couldn't run on the Ravens, or he was trying to get Brock the MVP by calling a pass heavy game. It was bizarre

We averaged 6.7 yards per rush last night!!! There was no reason to uncharacteristically change our M.O. and put it all on Brock. Thats not our recipe for success. If we play them again, it'll be different for sure. It better be. You can't win when you give a team 5 turnovers and 5 first downs on penalties. You just cant.

The worse thing about last night were the injuries. By the 3rd quarter, it was over and he should have started pulling starters, but that's not what Kyle does and now we're really banged up again.

I think we'll be ok as far as getting the #1 seed but Kyle needs to check his ego at the door in the playoffs and do what works instead of trying to prove that he's the genius people say he is.

It was like Kyle either thought we couldn't run on the Ravens, or he was trying to get Brock the MVP by calling a pass heavy game. It was bizarre

We averaged 6.7 yards per rush last night!!! There was no reason to uncharacteristically change our M.O. and put it all on Brock. Thats not our recipe for success. If we play them again, it'll be different for sure. It better be. You can't win when you give a team 5 turnovers and 5 first downs on penalties. You just cant.

The worse thing about last night were the injuries. By the 3rd quarter, it was over and he should have started pulling starters, but that's not what Kyle does and now we're really banged up again.

I think we'll be ok as far as getting the #1 seed but Kyle needs to check his ego at the door in the playoffs and do what works instead of trying to prove that he's the genius people say he is.
I get it, but when you fall behind 33-12, majority of coaches are going to throw, but yeah the should have used CMC more.

I get it's a tough loss, but it actually may not be a bad loss when you look back at it in February, who knows?

All about perspective. The 49ers mostly played like trash and lost to the (other) best team in football by 14. They've also played six games against the other current NFC playoff teams and won all six by a combined score of 200 - 95. Don't remember who posted it but this could honestly have been just what they needed. Take the loss now when it probably doesn't matter, and get right for the games that do.

I'm actually glad the Purdy MVP talk is over. I think it was getting distracting and we don't need it right now.

Tune out all the noise and get back to work. That's all they gotta do for the next 5 weeks.

All about perspective. The 49ers mostly played like trash and lost to the (other) best team in football by 14. They've also played six games against the other current NFC playoff teams and won all six by a combined score of 200 - 95. Don't remember who posted it but this could honestly have been just what they needed. Take the loss now when it probably doesn't matter, and get right for the games that do.
Flip side of this, had the Niners won last night they could have coasted the next couple weeks and rested guys. But they didn't, literally used their entire bench of reserve offensive linemen last night (I was curious what would happen if literally just 1 more guy got hurt) and now have to keep playing starters the rest of the way these next 2 games, risking further injury to players. The opponents don't look super tough, but if the Rams are playing for their playoff lives the last week of the season, this could get interesting very fast.

I'm actually glad the Purdy MVP talk is over. I think it was getting distracting and we don't need it right now.

Tune out all the noise and get back to work. That's all they gotta do for the next 5 weeks.
Agree, def a distraction. He’ll have more chances on that in the future, not anything to care about now.

I think the entire team was humbled last night, that’s a good thing.

We have to monitor the injuries, but we’ll get a weeks rest with a first round bye if we handle our business to finish the season.

Wait, I got it!! Kyle knows we will see Baltimore in the Super Bowl, and he didn't want to show them much of our run game, so he called the most pass heavy game in years to give them false confidence when we play them in Feb.

Its obvious he's playing 4-D chess.

:hophead:

Flip side of this, had the Niners won last night they could have coasted the next couple weeks and rested guys. But they didn't, literally used their entire bench of reserve offensive linemen last night (I was curious what would happen if literally just 1 more guy got hurt) and now have to keep playing starters the rest of the way these next 2 games, risking further injury to players. The opponents don't look super tough, but if the Rams are playing for their playoff lives the last week of the season, this could get interesting very fast.

For sure, it would've been much better to win last night. But in the grand scheme of things a humbling loss like this could be just what they needed. They still control their own destiny for the 1 seed.

To put it in further perspective, if the 49ers had won out to close the season and gone on to win the Super Bowl, that would've been a 12 game win streak culminating in a championship. In the entire Super Bowl era that's only ever been done five times, most recently by the 2003 Patriots and the last one before them was the 1985 Giants. It's really hard to sustain a win streak that long straight through the Super Bowl. A loss now is like releasing a pressure valve.

They outgained BAL by ~100 yards - I'll reiterate Shanahan wasn't the problem. The defense did a reasonable job playing with awful field position. Purdy was a combination of bad and had some tough breaks, and they lost the turnover battle by 5. That's the only takeaway. (Unless the OL injuries are serious...fingers crossed).

Despite last nights loss, the 49ers are still the favorite to win the Super Bowl

• 49ers: +225
• Ravens: +350
• Dolphins: +750
• Chiefs: +800

Via DK Sports Book

Despite last nights loss, the 49ers are still the favorite to win the Super Bowl

Via DK Sports Book

In a similar vein, exact matchup futures odds imply SF would currently be favored against any AFC opponent in the Super Bowl (including Baltimore).

Via DK Sports Book

In a similar vein, exact matchup futures odds imply SF would currently be favored against any AFC opponent in the Super Bowl (including Baltimore).
If SF plays BAL in the SB, it won't look like last night. They didn't beat up the 49ers. Yes they outplayed SF and were outcoached, but if SF cleans up the turnovers and penalties, they win a rematch.

Shanahan will run the ball 40+ times and won't put his QB in situations like he did last night IMO.

The #49ers and former Charger Defensive tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day have agreed to terms per sources.

Joseph-Day gets a chance to join a contender and compete for another Super Bowl (he won one with the Rams a couple of seasons ago)

Joseph-Day started 30 games at defensive tackle for the Los Angeles Chargers in the past two years. He’s played 542 snaps this season. According to Pro Football Focus, Joseph-Day played at least 35 snaps in every game but three this year.

He had 25 pressures, 18 run stops and 3 sacks this season with the Chargers. The 310-pounder should provide some necessary beef in the middle for the 49ers as Arik Armstead gets healthy.

Last edited:
McCaffrey played every snap (70). If we're going to pile on Shanahan for something, this is it. The dude cannot help himself from running his top players into the ground. This is even more infuriating because Jordan Mason is legitimately good!

If we don't beef up our O libe next season, I dont know what we're doing.

The five highest-graded 49ers players on offense against the Ravens (PFF)

Ronnie Bell, WR, 78.8, 3 snaps
Aaron Banks, LG, 75.4, 65 snaps
Brandon Aiyuk, WR, 75.2, 66 snaps
Trent Williams, LT, 75.2, 32 snaps
George Kittle, TE, 73.2, 62 snaps

The three lowest-graded on offense:

Spencer Burford, RT, 36.2, 26 snaps
Colton McKivitz, RT, 40.5, 70 snaps
Kyle Juszczyk, FB, 48.8, 28 snaps

Below are the five highest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Kevin Givens, DT, 72.1, 23 snaps
T.Y. McGill, DT, 68.3, 22 snaps
Nick Bosa, DE, 64.5, 64 snaps
Javon Hargrave, DT, 63.4, 45 snaps
Randy Gregory, ROLB, 62.6, 18 snaps

The three lowest-graded on defense:

Darrell Luter Jr., CB, 41.7, 4 snaps
Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, LB, 44.8, 13 snaps
Jason Verrett, CB, 45.1, 5 snaps

They outgained BAL by ~100 yards - I'll reiterate Shanahan wasn't the problem. The defense did a reasonable job playing with awful field position. Purdy was a combination of bad and had some tough breaks, and they lost the turnover battle by 5. That's the only takeaway. (Unless the OL injuries are serious...fingers crossed).

It's okay to say Baltimore is a better team. They're probably the best team in the NFL right now. No shame in losing to a better team.

It's okay to say Baltimore is a better team. They're probably the best team in the NFL right now. No shame in losing to a better team.
The Ravens were the better team that night. I could easily see the script getting flipped if they played again - not just because I'm an idiot and am awful at picking games (I think I went 30-17 SF). I think both teams are the most well-rounded in the NFL and can win games multiple ways.

They very well may be. I tend to think Purdy's awful game was an isolated incident but maybe the Ravens have unlocked the key to rattling him. And I don't mean to be flippant about that possibility, there were clearly some schematic things they were doing that Purdy wasn't ready for.

The Ravens were the better team that night. I could easily see the script getting flipped if they played again - not just because I'm an idiot and am awful at picking games (I think I went 30-17 SF). I think both teams are the most well-rounded in the NFL and can win games multiple ways.

I think the Ravens came into that game pissed off. The defense showed it. I agree that a rematch (and I think these are the teams most likely to make the SB) will be a different ballgame. But the Ravens flexed hard on primetime. They in SF head now.

They very well may be. I tend to think Purdy's awful game was an isolated incident but maybe the Ravens have unlocked the key to rattling him. And I don't mean to be flippant about that possibility, there were clearly some schematic things they were doing that Purdy wasn't ready for.
For sure an outlier for Purdy, just like the pass/run ratio. They asked the QBs to do way too much.

The 49ers threw the ball 46 times. They average 29 throws a game, fewest in the league. They ran it 18 times and average 29 rushes a game, 8th most.

The previous season high passes was 37 against the Giants in week 3. They also ran it almost 40 times that day.

If Kyle runs the ball more, Purdy has fewer passes that can be picked, and play action actually works.

Yes, they got behind the sticks due to penalties or negative plays here and there, but they came out trying to finesse the Ravens instead of pounding the ball. In the second half they had to become somewhat one dimensional, but if they set the tone in the first series with CMC and Deebo, maybe the game goes different.

Baltimore might be the best team right now, and there is no shame in losing to them. That said, I think a rematch would look totally different.

For sure an outlier for Purdy, just like the pass/run ratio. They asked the QBs to do way too much.

The 49ers threw the ball 46 times. They average 29 throws a game, fewest in the league. They ran it 18 times and average 29 rushes a game, 8th most.

The previous season high passes was 37 against the Giants in week 3. They also ran it almost 40 times that day.

If Kyle runs the ball more, Purdy has fewer passes that can be picked, and play action actually works.

Yes, they got behind the sticks due to penalties or negative plays here and there, but they came out trying to finesse the Ravens instead of pounding the ball. In the second half they had to become somewhat one dimensional, but if they set the tone in the first series with CMC and Deebo, maybe the game goes different.

Baltimore might be the best team right now, and there is no shame in losing to them. That said, I think a rematch would look totally different.

I guarantee you the line won't be Baltimore +6 in a rematch. That was fuel to their fire.

Interesting part of an article on some of the schematic things Baltimore was doing from the Athletic here. I believe enough in Purdy at this point to not think he needs to be treated with kid gloves, but the play calling does need to be balanced. I wonder what the ratio was at halftime. Whatever it was, it was working in the sense that SF almost had 250 total yards at halftime IIRC.

If we don't beef up our O libe next season, I dont know what we're doing.

The five highest-graded 49ers players on offense against the Ravens (PFF)

Ronnie Bell, WR, 78.8, 3 snaps
Aaron Banks, LG, 75.4, 65 snaps
Brandon Aiyuk, WR, 75.2, 66 snaps
Trent Williams, LT, 75.2, 32 snaps
George Kittle, TE, 73.2, 62 snaps

The three lowest-graded on offense:

Spencer Burford, RT, 36.2, 26 snaps
Colton McKivitz, RT, 40.5, 70 snaps
Kyle Juszczyk, FB, 48.8, 28 snaps

Below are the five highest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Kevin Givens, DT, 72.1, 23 snaps
T.Y. McGill, DT, 68.3, 22 snaps
Nick Bosa, DE, 64.5, 64 snaps
Javon Hargrave, DT, 63.4, 45 snaps
Randy Gregory, ROLB, 62.6, 18 snaps

The three lowest-graded on defense:

Darrell Luter Jr., CB, 41.7, 4 snaps
Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, LB, 44.8, 13 snaps
Jason Verrett, CB, 45.1, 5 snaps
Surprised Gipson wasn’t on the low end. I remember him playing very poorly.

I disagree with this. Candidly, the smartest guys also do, I wish they didn’t so I could lay the hammer even harder, but their odds haven’t really budged, they clearly are locked in as SF being the overwhelming favorite (hence better team).

What happened was a guy with an ego trying to call a game in the complete opposite manner that he would if it was a SB. Complete reversal of play calls, abandonment of a dominant run game, Brock at his worst, and the defense eventually succumbing to the endless turnovers.

I expect Shanny to be much better if they meet again and a very different looking game.

I don't think this hurts them too much. Teams often need a "you're not as good as you think you are" game to get their heads on straight.
This was what I stated multiple times before this game, I think it was actually a good thing (as long as we get word that the injuries are no big deal).

Winning 12x in a row much harder than 6.

I guarantee you the line won't be Baltimore +6 in a rematch. That was fuel to their fire.

Based on futures markets as of now, SF would still be a small favorite if they meet Baltimore in the Super Bowl, which is interesting. Imagine the locker room fodder for the Ravens, going into the SB as underdogs against the team they just stomped on MNF less than two months earlier.

I disagree with this. Candidly, the smartest guys also do, I wish they didn’t so I could lay the hammer even harder, but their odds haven’t really budged, they clearly are locked in as SF being the overwhelming favorite (hence better team).

What happened was a guy with an ego trying to call a game in the complete opposite manner that he would if it was a SB. Complete reversal of play calls, abandonment of a dominant run game, Brock at his worst, and the defense eventually succumbing to the endless turnovers.

I expect Shanny to be much better if they meet again and a very different looking game.

Part of the thing making SF the biggest favorites to win the SB is that they’re perceived to have an easier path through the NFC. Baltimore’s overall odds are longer because they’ll have to deal with some combo of Bills/Dolphins/Chiefs.

SF is implied to be a small favorite against BAL in the Super Bowl as of right now, but it’s basically a pick’em.

Based on futures markets as of now, SF would still be a small favorite if they meet Baltimore in the Super Bowl, which is interesting. Imagine the locker room fodder for the Ravens, going into the SB as underdogs against the team they just stomped on MNF less than two months earlier.
And if SF was favored, as they were in the last game, I think the beating they took would be fresh in their minds and be of a benefit.

Part of the thing making SF the biggest favorites to win the SB is that they’re perceived to have an easier path through the NFC. Baltimore’s overall odds are longer because they’ll have to deal with some combo of Bills/Dolphins/Chiefs.

SF is implied to be a small favorite against BAL in the Super Bowl as of right now, but it’s basically a pick’em.
Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Rams… I don’t really see it as an easy path. Dolphins to me are the only real threat there. Chiefs do not look good at all this season, Bills wildly inconsistent.

The difference is there would be chips on both teams’ shoulders this time.

Barrows had a mildly interesting anecdote on his podcast with Tim Kawakami yesterday. The Niners are usually super aggressive about policing their pregame warm up areas which frequently leads to dumb fights. Apparently Justin Tucker just decided to plop down and do his stretching right in the middle of the Niners’ warmups and Deebo and Trent Williams couldn’t have cared less. Barrows took that as a sign that SF wasn’t super charged up for this game for whatever reason.

Barrows had a mildly interesting anecdote on his podcast with Tim Kawakami yesterday. The Niners are usually super aggressive about policing their pregame warm up areas which frequently leads to dumb fights. Apparently Justin Tucker just decided to plop down and do his stretching right in the middle of the Niners’ warmups and Deebo and Trent Williams couldn’t have cared less. Barrows took that as a sign that SF wasn’t super charged up for this game for whatever reason.

Were they supposed to beat up on a kicker to prove how amped up they are for the game or something? Are we out of takes on sports talk radio now?

They really didn’t look like they came to play, that’s an interesting anecdote.

Were they supposed to beat up on a kicker to prove how amped up they are for the game or something? Are we out of takes on sports talk radio now?
I’d be willing to bet if it was the SB they’d tell him to take a hike.

Were they supposed to beat up on a kicker to prove how amped up they are for the game or something?
Supposed to? No. But normally Deebo and company do dumb crap like that. (Example)

Last edited:
I think everyone can agree if these teams meet again, the game will not look like the one that was just played. We can argue semantics of Deebo beating up Justin Tucker all we want, but nobody thinks a rematch will be like the trainwreck we just witnessed.

I think everyone can agree if these teams meet again, the game will not look like the one that was just played. We can argue semantics of Deebo beating up Justin Tucker all we want, but nobody thinks a rematch will be like the trainwreck we just witnessed.

I agree with that. I thought these were the two teams that would meet in the SB before they played and I still feel that way. I don't think there's a team in the NFC that can beat SF. Dallas and Philadelphia were abused by them. And I'm not buying Detroit as a playoff team. The team I'd worry about most were I 49ers fan is the LA Rams. They're red hot and rolling and McVay is a better coach.

the play calling does need to be balanced. I wonder what the ratio was at halftime. Whatever it was, it was working in the sense that SF almost had 250 total yards at halftime IIRC.
1st half: 16 passes, 11 runs.

2nd half: 30 passes, 7 runs

2nd half breakdown:

3rd quarter: 9 passes, 4 runs

4th quarter: 21 pass, 3 runs (1 CMC carry and 2 Darnold scrambles)

Edit: this was a quick count and may not be the official totals

Last edited:
Ji'Ayir Brown sustained a knee sprain during the game and will be absent from today's practice.

When questioned about the potential long-term impact of Brown's injury, head coach Kyle Shanahan said, "There's concern. I mean, we're not ruling them out this week, but there's concern. So he can't go today."

Shanahan outlined the team's contingency plans if Brown is unable to return for this weekend's game.

"We got someone on practice squad," Shanahan explained. "We've moved other positions there at nickel and corner to have some depth there. So we got some options. [Isaiah] Oliver is a possibility. Anybody who says they're a corner or safety is a possibility. And if those guys go down, then I would say a linebacker is a possibility. [General manager John] Lynch will be after that."

Defensive tackle Arik Armstead will remain sidelined due to foot and knee injuries. Jauan Jennings remains in the concussion protocol, and guard Aaron Banks (toe) and tackle Jaylon Moore (concussion) will also miss Wednesday's practice session.

Addressing Banks' status, Shanahan mentioned, "Not practicing, but he's not ruled out this week. So, hopefully, it'll be limited the next day, which, basically, I'm saying it's not quite as bad as last time (he missed games earlier in the season with a similar injury), but last time was pretty bad. So we've got to see how it goes in these next couple of days."

Limited participants in practice will include wide receiver Deebo Samuel (neck), defensive tackle Javon Hargrave (hamstring), linebacker Oren Burks (knee), and cornerback Ambry Thomas (knee, hand).

Logan Ryan will replace Brown at safety.

#49ers injury report for Sunday vs the Commanders

Out:
Arik Armstead (foot)
Jauan Jennings (concussion)
Ji'ayir Brown (knee sprain)
Jaylon Moore (concussion)

Questionable:
Aaron Banks (toe)
Ambry Thomas (hamstring)
Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles (illness)
Jordan Mason (illness)

Shanahan seemed cautiously optimistic that Ji’Ayir Brown could return from his knee sprain in Week 18 against the Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread