What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** Aiyuk remains a holdout (3 Viewers)

Would Logan Ryan and Gipson be the worst starting safety pair in the league? Woof. Hopefully Brown heals quickly.
While his penalties led to some points vs BAL, Gipson has been excellent this season.

Gipson in coverage this season (597 snaps):

25.2 passer rating against (#1 among safeties)

0 touchdowns allowed (#1 among safeties)

He hasn’t given up a TD since becoming starting safety at the start of last season — 1,365 snaps in coverage.

Would Logan Ryan and Gipson be the worst starting safety pair in the league? Woof. Hopefully Brown heals quickly.
While his penalties led to some points vs BAL, Gipson has been excellent this season.

Gipson in coverage this season (597 snaps):

25.2 passer rating against (#1 among safeties)

0 touchdowns allowed (#1 among safeties)

He hasn’t given up a TD since becoming starting safety at the start of last season — 1,365 snaps in coverage.
Interesting and encouraging. He has a 72 PFF rating which is decent (good?) but not elite as far as I can tell.

It’s not just you, Colin S. Per Pro Football Focus, the 49ers have 120 missed tackles this season. Through 15 games last season, they had 79.

Their 120 tackles are the 21st-most in the NFL, though the 49ers have been on a missed-tackle tear since they went to Cleveland in Week 6. Before that, they had the fewest number of missed tackles (24) in the league. Since then, they have had the third most (96) behind the Seattle Seahawks (109) and Jacksonville Jaguars (105).

That pattern seems to support the “fatigue” explanation for the miscues because the personnel has largely been the same all season. For example, only two players who started Week 1 against the Pittsburgh Steelers — Talanoa Hufanga and Arik Armstead — were absent in Monday’s loss to the Baltimore Ravens. (They were replaced by Javon Kinlaw and Ji’Ayir Brown, respectively.)

Here is the 49ers’ top 10 in terms of missed tackles this season. Where applicable, I included in parentheses the player’s 2022 total, which includes three playoff games:

Fred Warner: 24 (18)
Dre Greenlaw: 16 (11)
Nick Bosa: 8 (3)
Deommodore Lenoir: 8 (9)
Isaiah Oliver: 8
Tashaun Gipson Sr.: 7 (2)
Randy Gregory: 7 (in 10 games with SF)
Brown: 6
Clelin Ferrell: 6
Charvarius Ward: 5 (2)

Per Lombardi:

The 49ers did NOT activate Danny Gray from IR. Instead, the temporarily promoted Tay Martin from the practice squad to fill the Jauan Jennings void at WR in Washington tomorrow.

SF also temporarily promoted safety Erik Harris from the practice squad

Today will be the 3rd time in Kyle Shanahan's 7 years in SF that he's has had a QB start 16 regular season games. The other 2 times, those teams went to the Super Bowl.

If the Niners are controlling this game and CMC still has 20+ touches, I'm going to be back in here complaining extensively about Shanahan. Just be forewarned.

QB Brock Purdy just set the franchise record for most passing yards in a season with that 5-yard pass to George Kittle.

Purdy surpasses Jeff Garcia and now has 4,280 passing yards on the season.

Al Sacco:

Part of being a football fan is just enjoying incredible seasons by players.

Anytime a QB sets the franchise passing mark, it’s a cool thing.

Brock Purdy’s 24-years old and has 4,281 yards, 31 TD passes (so far) in 2023. #49ers

If the playoffs ended right now, I think it would be more likely than not that we'd get the Eagles in the divisional round.

CMC injury info:

"[It's a] possible calf strain. We'll have to see tomorrow, though," head coach Kyle Shanahan said during his post-game press conference.

"We think he'll be all right," Shanahan added. "I don't know if he would have been able to go next week or not, but we'll have to find out more tomorrow. But he was moving around all right on the sideline, so hoping it's not too bad, but we won't know until tomorrow."

"I will always play if I can," McCaffrey said in the visitor's locker room at FedEx Field. "I think it was minor and just made the smart move, especially not knowing what was going to happen next week. I didn't want to go in there and make it any worse."

While McCaffrey is optimistic about the injury not being too severe, he remains uncertain about when it occurred.

"I'm not sure what happened," McCaffrey said. "It was pretty minor. I was just having a hard time for a little bit, pushing off, and just for precautionary reasons, thought it would be better just to rest it."

If the playoffs ended right now, I think it would be more likely than not that we'd get the Eagles in the divisional round.
lol, Eagles in the divisional round. They should have to cede their current five seed to Florida State.

Congrats SF fans this is your year.

NFL leaders, pass breakups:

1. Charvarius Ward, 49ers: 16
2. Darious Williams, Jags: 15
3. Benjamin St-Juste, Commanders: 13

Ward is also #2 among CBs with 5 INTs

49ers missed tackles in recent weeks

Week 15 vs AZ: 16 (season-high)
Week 16 vs BAL: 6
Week 17 vs WAS: 3

A welcomed improvement before the playoffs.

Brandon Aiyuk’s rankings among receivers:

➤ Yards Per Catch: 18.3 (#1)
➤ 20+ Yard Receiving Plays: 28 (#2)
➤ Receiving Yards: 1,317 (#6)
➤ PFF’s Receiving Grade: 92.0 (#2)

George Kittle’s back to being the undisputed best tight end in the NFL with the season he’s having. His TE ranks:

#1 in NFL in receiving yards
#1 in NFL in yards per reception
#1 in NFL in yards per route run
#1 in NFL in passer rating when targeted

Christian McCaffrey had an MVP-caliber season, putting up video game numbers on a team that has a ton of offensive talent. His ranks:

#1 in NFL in rushing yards
#1 in NFL in yards per carry
#1 in NFL in touchdowns
#1 in NFL in explosive runs
#1 in NFL in first downs

Injury updates:

Christian McCaffrey has a mild calf strain and is out this week, but sounds like he’ll be good to go for the playoffs. "We're real confident on that. It was good news. It could have been a lot worse. We're happy that they'll take care of him this week and hopefully he'll start getting to go during our off week." - Kyle Shanahan

Ambry Thomas will have surgery on a broken hand Tuesday. He’ll be out this week, but should be fine for the playoffs, per Kyle Shanahan

Ray-Ray McCloud (ribs) will return to practice this week. The 49ers will open his IR window

Last edited:
Sunday outlook: rest em up!!

We’ll get a heavy dose of Elijah Mitchell and probably Darrell Luter Jr. in place of McCaffrey and Ambry Thomas next week.

Defensive tackle Arik Armstead will continue to rest his ankle and knee.

Tight end Ross Dwelley is unlikely to play this week with a high-ankle sprain.

Wide receiver Jauan Jennings and offensive tackle Jaylon Moore remain in the concussion protocol.

Safety Ji’Ayir Brown “has a chance” to play this coming Sunday, but Shanahan was non-committal. The same can be said about the 49ers playing specific starters against the Los Angeles Rams. Shanahan wouldn’t even say if Brock Purdy would start on Sunday.

They should rest Trent Williams this week too which means no way in hell Purdy should play. Kittle sits too. Darnold at QB with Bell and Willie Snead at WR 🤟

Really crazy Jennings still in protocol, wonder what’s going on there, hope he’s okay.

It’s starting to look like we’re going to be fully healthy and rested come 3 weeks from now. Honestly, we should rest most essential personnel this week. Baltimore looks like a tough out, really stemming from Lamar playing lights out. No reason to look that far out though, one game at a time.

49ers open as 3 point favorites vs the Rams.

Deebo says starters will play "for a good bit" Sunday

"You definitely want to keep the flow going, but you also want to give your body a rest. So I feel like we’re going to play this game for a good bit, just to keep the groove going and not take too much time off. We’re going to continue practicing hard and continue to do the things that we do.”

49ers 2024 opponents as it stands right now.

HOME
Arizona
LA Rams
Seattle
Chicago
Detroit
NY Jets
New England
Kansas City
NFC East winner (Dallas or Philly)

AWAY
Arizona
LA Rams
Seattle
Green Bay
Minnesota
Miami
Buffalo
NFC South winner (Tampa, NO or Atlanta)

Really hoping Tampa Bay wins their division so I can go to the game here in Tampa next season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread