What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Santonio Holmes comes back soon....WR1 for the Jets (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
I was a very vocal critic of the Jets passing attack in the offense. But Sanchize looks like he has really turned the corner and could put up number close to what Ryan and Flacco did in their sophomore campaigns. With that said, and after having watched Hard Knocks and listened to comments about Santonio, it would seem that when he gets back, he is going to be the Alpha dog in this receiving corps. Obviously Keller is there and will garner his numbers. But are we looking at a potential Roddy/Gonzo redux here? The teams have similar offensive philosophies but the Jets defense is even better than Hotlanta's.

Make no mistake, you are talking about a Super Bowl MVP here, not some guy that ran himself out of Cleveland. Santonio's numbers have gotten steadily better since he entered the league. He was arguably the WR1 in Pittsburgh last season when he went off for 1200+ on 79 catches. I think he's got a reasonable chance to repeat those numbers.

Thoughts?

WR 4 for FF teams. Keller is #1 on this team. Plus the Jets will be running more as the as the season goes on.

I don't see much value in Holmes in 2010

Week 5. Hopefully same time as Stafford, Best, and Sjax. My money league team is going to look a lot different from the crap I trot out this week.

WR 4 for FF teams. Keller is #1 on this team. Plus the Jets will be running more as the as the season goes on.I don't see much value in Holmes in 2010
Keller is #1 in Santonio's absence. But he has won't be the best option once Santonio returns. I think they become 1a and 1b.

I think Keller will be Sanchez s #1 target. Holmes will be a big play guy. A better version of Edwards. The way the Jets run their offense I can't see any WR getting Top 10 #s. For those that got him late and cheap, I think he'll deliver on his ADP. He's not the kind of WR that's going to get you 10 catches a game. He's more of a 4 for 90 and A TD kind of guy.

Keller has had a couple good games. I've always liked his upside, but let's not pretend that he's Dallas Clark or Jason Witten yet.

Holmes was a top 10 NFL WR last season. He's going to have a major role in the New York passing game. I expect good things.

They will find ways to get this guy the ball, he will be the best player on the Jets side of the ball when he returns...

Playmakers make plays, and he is a good wr, will he put up wr1 numbers? can anyone say, my opinion is no... but will he put up wr2 numbers? my opinion has to be yes.

From the time he comes back he has the ability and team round him for wr10-20 production from here on out.

This is not just another player, this is a SB MVP who has produced very well in the past.

Holmes > Edwards, and its not close FWIW

They will find ways to get this guy the ball, he will be the best player on the Jets side of the ball when he returns...Playmakers make plays, and he is a good wr, will he put up wr1 numbers? can anyone say, my opinion is no... but will he put up wr2 numbers? my opinion has to be yes.From the time he comes back he has the ability and team round him for wr10-20 production from here on out.This is not just another player, this is a SB MVP who has produced very well in the past.Holmes > Edwards, and its not close FWIW
I recall the Jets just being giddy during Hard Knocks about his skill. The GM was like "wow" who was the smart SOB that brought him here? I took that to mean has was pretty far superior to Braylon or Jerricho.

I think Keller will be Sanchez s #1 target. Holmes will be a big play guy. A better version of Edwards. The way the Jets run their offense I can't see any WR getting Top 10 #s. For those that got him late and cheap, I think he'll deliver on his ADP. He's not the kind of WR that's going to get you 10 catches a game. He's more of a 4 for 90 and A TD kind of guy.
I agree with this.Holmes will certainly get a fair amount of opportunities when he returns, but those thinking that the Jets are going to start throwing the ball down the field a lot may be deeply disappointed.The offense wants to stress ball control and time of possession. They'll take their shots down the field, but mainly to try to generate a big play when the defense is selling out on the run.

I agree with this.Holmes will certainly get a fair amount of opportunities when he returns, but those thinking that the Jets are going to start throwing the ball down the field a lot may be deeply disappointed.The offense wants to stress ball control and time of possession. They'll take their shots down the field, but mainly to try to generate a big play when the defense is selling out on the run.
Exactly. I don't think anyone is disputing that. I don't think anyone is predicting him to be used like Welker or Andre Johnson. He's going to be a long ball threat.

I recall the Jets just being giddy during Hard Knocks about his skill. The GM was like "wow" who was the smart SOB that brought him here? I took that to mean has was pretty far superior to Braylon or Jerricho.
Yeah. And at one point, I think it was talking to Bobby Bowden, one of em said "That's Santonio, the best player on the field"...For FF purposes I've avoided Most Jets and expect more Ground and Pound. This week, the Defense took a step back - If you listen to Rex, he talked about miscommunication and the 3 "new" players in the secondary. With Revis out and Pace out the defense was a lot different and they allowed a lot of points and yards taking ground and pound away a little...But, get the players back and the weather changes and Ground and Pound should come back IMO.I'm not expecting CONSISTENT solid scoring from any 1 Jet WR... Keller probably takes a hit and then hopefully, as a Jets fan, Sanchez is able to just hit the open guy and move the chains, stats be damned.

Yeah. And at one point, I think it was talking to Bobby Bowden, one of em said "That's Santonio, the

best player on the field"...

For FF purposes I've avoided Most Jets and expect more Ground and Pound. This week, the Defense took a step back - If you listen to Rex, he talked about miscommunication and the 3 "new" players in the secondary. With Revis out and Pace out the defense was a lot different and they allowed a lot of points and yards taking ground and pound away a little...

But, get the players back and the weather changes and Ground and Pound should come back IMO.

I'm not expecting CONSISTENT solid scoring from any 1 Jet WR... Keller probably takes a hit and then hopefully, as a Jets fan, Sanchez is able to just hit the open guy and move the chains, stats be damned.
Speak for yourself! This is sacrilege on a fantasy football site! :goodposting: :football:

I've been stashing Holmes for a while now. I hope he pays off. Naanee and Mason are barely getting me by.

I also have Santanio stashed although he's unlikely to start for me unless I have injury/bye week issues. I generally agree with most of the above comments. I think he has the talent to put up WR 1-2 numbers, however I think that his numbers will probably be fairly boom or bust in a Jets offense which is predicated on running the ball. He'll put up a handful of big games, but these will be interspersed with a number of pedestrian performances. However, that doesn't make him much different from other WR2s.

Jets are currently 27th against the pass 20th in yardage allowed. I know Revvis is a special player and all but I think the "ground and pound" philosophy is going to the wayside unless he can magically make this a top five defense again.

holmes will be used like he was in Pitt and have similar value as a fantasy wr. ave #2 wr

Edwards, Keller, Holmes and LT will be receiving options

Holmes: inconsistent production with some good weeks.

2009 ppr leage holmes was 15th wr overall

2 high weeks of 28 pts, 3 low weeks of 2, 9, 9, point weeks

Average of 14 pts per week.

expect about the same he won't win your league for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
holmes will be used like he was in Pitt and have similar value as a fantasy wr. ave #2 wr Edwards, Keller, Holmes and LT will be receiving options Holmes: inconsistent production with some good weeks.2009 ppr leage holmes was 15th wr overall2 high weeks of 28 pts, 3 low weeks of 2, 9, 9, point weeksAverage of 14 pts per week.expect about the same he won't win your league for you.
Lows of 2, 9, and 9 are pretty amazing for a WR. Hell, if I get 9 points from my WR2, I'm not disappointed, and if that's the lowest he goes all season, I have zero complaints. I think all those numbers you listed (15th overall, 14 pts/week, etc) suggest exactly what everyone is saying, a high upside WR2. At the ADP he was drafted, he could very well be the element that pushes your team over the edge, especially with those 28 point outings. Now of course, he's moving from Pitt to NYJ, so there are concerns about QB talent and offensive philosophy, but if he reproduces his Pitt per game stats, I will be ecstatic.

Keller has had a couple good games. I've always liked his upside, but let's not pretend that he's Dallas Clark or Jason Witten yet. Holmes was a top 10 NFL WR last season. He's going to have a major role in the New York passing game. I expect good things.
this.

DKNY is the #1 target on the team. Holmes is an improvement on Braylon, but I seee them alternating WR3 type values the rest of the year sharing time.

Keller has had a couple good games. I've always liked his upside, but let's not pretend that he's Dallas Clark or Jason Witten yet. Holmes was a top 10 NFL WR last season. He's going to have a major role in the New York passing game. I expect good things.
:missing: The Jets staff is in love with Holmes. He will be a big part of that offense going forward.

holmes will be used like he was in Pitt and have similar value as a fantasy wr. ave #2 wr

Edwards, Keller, Holmes and LT will be receiving options

Holmes: inconsistent production with some good weeks.

2009 ppr leage holmes was 15th wr overall

2 high weeks of 28 pts, 3 low weeks of 2, 9, 9, point weeks

Average of 14 pts per week.

expect about the same he won't win your league for you.
I disagree. I think the biggest reason that I took Holmes late in my auction was his comments to his fellow WR's during a segment on Hard Knocks. He said something to the effect of, "The thing I like about the Jets is, that when Mark calls a play, I know I'm getting the ball. In Pittsburgh, I wasn't getting that ball." I think Santonio's inconsistent numbers were a product of Pittsburgh's playcalling and preference for running the ball. It's obvious that the Jets LOVE his ability, and I think he will be a focal point in that offense very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread