What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scary Movie Madness (vote here) (1 Viewer)

Best of 1930-1959

• Diabolique

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Cat People

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • The Wolfman

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Frankenstein

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • King Kong

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ilov80s

Footballguy
With Halloween here, let's have a fun little 2 day horror movie tournament.  On Tuesday we vote here and then on Halloween the top 2 films from each group will face off in the finals. This poll closes 7:00 AM Halloween AM. 

Link to group 2

Set-up: I chose 2 movies from each decade based on Letterbox Popularity and a couple small subjective decisions of my own. I know there are lots of good movies that didn't make, it's just the way the format worked out so vote based on the nominees and send me your hate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, what about movies X, Y, and Z ??!! 
I didn't really think movie X was actually a horror film

Movie Y wasn't very high on the Letterbox popularity for 19whatever

You have to be kidding me about movie Z? It was total #### 

What about Halloween (1978) ???
Ironically, did not make the cut over Jaws and Alien on the Letterbox rankings for popular horror movies of the 70s. I chose my approach before looking so I didn't know what films would or would not make the cut. There  is just one swap out I made as I just really didn't think the film felt like a horror movie. 

I will say the big surprise is no Exorcist in the middle bracket, but it's hard enough as it is.  

I think my vote for the top one will be unpopular, but I voted Blair Witch, The Shining, and Frankenstein.  

Only movie I haven't seen is Diabolique.

For the top one  I was only considering for a vote was Scream and Blair Witch.   I have come around more on Get Out, but I still think its a bit of a mess in the last act so that knocked it out of contention.  With Scream and BW I went old man, and thought of all the movies that those two set the stage for in the 2 decades after.  Scream was great for setting up a horror movie that had laughs, made fun of the genre, and was still a good horror movie.  These are still one of my favorite style of horror movies, and I think 3 of the others in this bracket owe a bit to it.  Also set the stage for stuff like Cabin in the Woods, Behind the Mask, and others.   Blair Witch takes a lot of hate, but that was also an event if you saw in the theater opening weekend.  While not the first found footage horror, it set up the decade to come (mostly for the worst) for this subgenre and made it popular/profitable.  It got the vote from me in the end due to it's brilliant marketing, what they went through to film it, and it creeped the #### out of me in the theater.  

For the top one  I was only considering for a vote was Scream and Blair Witch.   I have come around more on Get Out, but I still think its a bit of a mess in the last act so that knocked it out of contention.  With Scream and BW I went old man, and thought of all the movies that those two set the stage for in the 2 decades after.  Scream was great for setting up a horror movie that had laughs, made fun of the genre, and was still a good horror movie.  These are still one of my favorite style of horror movies, and I think 3 of the others in this bracket owe a bit to it.  Also set the stage for stuff like Cabin in the Woods, Behind the Mask, and others.   Blair Witch takes a lot of hate, but that was also an event if you saw in the theater opening weekend.  While not the first found footage horror, it set up the decade to come (mostly for the worst) for this subgenre and made it popular/profitable.  It got the vote from me in the end due to it's brilliant marketing, what they went through to film it, and it creeped the #### out of me in the theater.  
I was in high school when BW came out and that was some of the best marketing I had ever seen. They really had a lot of teenagers thinking it was totally real. 

This highlights how great the scary movies were in the 70s and 80s.  I would vote for them over any of the ones in the other time periods.

Not sure I’d call Shaun of the Dead true horror.  I do like it quite a bit because it’s funny.

Not sure I’d call Shaun of the Dead true horror.  I do like it quite a bit because it’s funny.
Yeah, I agree it is horror comedy but I figured it was probably one of the most popular films of the 00s that fit into the category so it seemed to fit. Again I am using another website community's rankings so I mostly didn't have to make all these tough calls. 

When I first went to vote I was looking for the Exorcist as it is the scariest movie I had ever seen.  This was because the thread title was "Scary Movie Madness".  But then the Poll title is "Top Horror Film".  To me these are two different things but since the poll didn't have the Exorcist in it I shifted and went with the horror aspect rather than scary.

I will say the big surprise is no Exorcist in the middle bracket, but it's hard enough as it is.  

I think my vote for the top one will be unpopular, but I voted Blair Witch, The Shining, and Frankenstein.  

Yeah, The Exorcist is the most glaring omission of the whole thing.

Almost matched your votes.  Went Quiet Place over Blair Witch.  Like Zombieland and really like Shaun of the Dead but gotta go scary in a horror movie thread.

Jaws is the best movie on any of the lists but I doubt people consider is a "scary" movie or horror film - it's more suspenseful if anything and a great character study.
Yep. Great “adventure film” .... not so much “horror”.

(and Jaws is my favorite movie) 

Yep. Great “adventure film” .... not so much “horror”.

(and Jaws is my favorite movie) 
Yeah, interesting debate on what is or isn't a scary movie/horror. Giant monster killing random innocent people? Horror. Guys on a boat set-off to make the biggest catch of their life? Sounds like a classic action-adventure. 

Those were my three votes as well.

Blair Witch was a brilliantly made film. I watched it years after its theatrical release and heard all the hype and hate. I still loved it and the ending still shocked the crap out of me.

EYLive said:
Blair Witch was a brilliantly made film. I watched it years after its theatrical release and heard all the hype and hate. I still loved it and the ending still shocked the crap out of me.
From my recollection, it had an incredible amount of hype in high school and everyone was buzzing about it opening weekend, By the next weekend, word was wide that it stunk. It really fell flat with the high school crowd IMO. I guess it didn't matter, they made their money. 

the 60-89 grouping blows away all the other groups.

Voted Scream, Alien (extremely hard call between Alien, The Shining, Jaws), and King Kong (only because i haven't seen many of the others in the 30-59 group)

KarmaPolice said:
Best horror movies <> scariest horror movies
I understand that, but the thread title is "Scary Movie Madness".

So that means, IMO, which of the movies in each section is the scariest.  I stated that a lot of them aren't scary.

Users who are viewing this thread