What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Schefter: Gregg Williams to stay with Redskins (1 Viewer)

redman

Footballguy
I hadn't seen this reported by anyone, but both Adam Schefter and local (and well-connected-to-the-team) sports broadcaster George Michael have stated flatly that Gregg Williams isn't going to leave for a head coaching job elsewhere this year. The rumor - not reported by those guys - is that the team has made it worth his while to stay, perhaps by even promising him the head job there when Gibbs retires. The coaches are raving right now about the quality of the locker room saying that the team chemistry is simply amazingly good. For whatever it's worth . . .

You can read that 2 ways:1. Gregg Williams is staying in Washington.2. Gregg Williams knows how to raise the asking price for his services.

I hadn't seen this reported by anyone, but both Adam Schefter and local (and well-connected-to-the-team) sports broadcaster George Michael have stated flatly that Gregg Williams isn't going to leave for a head coaching job elsewhere this year.
Andyman, over at Extremeskins, said it too. So you know it's true!

You can read that 2 ways:

1. Gregg Williams is staying in Washington.

2. Gregg Williams knows how to raise the asking price for his services.
I think he was already making more money than a lot of head coaches out there. I seem to remember hearing upon his signing tha Williams was the highest paid assistant coach/cooridnator in the league.

Yea, it's bascily known that he has been promissed teh job once Gibbs retires again so I didn't expect him to move on.Sounding more and more like Childress for the Vikes.

We knew this months ago after Weinstein had a long interview with him, but somehow the Shark Pool never caught on.

Only a couple of the open jobs looks promising.STL or KCC.Who really would want to coach Houston, New Orleans. GB is nice but has a lot of personnel issues. Minnesota isnt going back to a SB anytime soon.

Andyman, over at Extremeskins, said it too.  So you know it's true!
That guy is a very reliable source.
Exactly - I returned to this thread to add that too. As odd as it sounds - Andyman is a 'Skins employee (most think it's Karl Swanson, the PR director or someone in his office) who's extremely well placed and who from time to time will leak stories to the Extremeskins board hours in advance of a press release. They're always accurate.

He's confirming this story.

We knew this months ago after Weinstein had a long interview with him, but somehow the Shark Pool never caught on.
The thing is, everyone says they want to stick around in September and October. The fact that it's being reiterated now, when coaching vacancies are opening up, is very noteworthy.

Never, never doubt the power of the Redskins underground! Williams just signed a 3-year contract extension:

Redskins lock up Williams with $8M deal Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com Posted: 4 minutes ago The hottest name on the coaching carousel is officially off the market.FOXSports.com has learned that Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has signed a record-breaking contract for an assistant to prevent him from interviewing for a head coaching post elsewhere. Sources close to Williams said early Tuesday that Williams agreed to a new three-year deal worth nearly $8 million, well above the financial terms for any coordinator in the NFL.Williams also agreed not to interview for any head coaching openings this off-season but, according to the source, it doesn't preclude him from taking a gig next year. The source also said that the biggest overriding factor was the fact that his family loves living in the Washington, D.C. area and were ecstatic with the new deal. Williams was a top candidate in Minnesota, St. Louis and Kansas City, although the Chiefs are expected to hire Jets head coach Herm Edwards.
Link

:thumbup:   :yes:   :pickle:   :suds:   :hifive:   :bow:   :goodposting:
Just let them lock up Greg Blache and Dale Lindsey (the linebacker coach) too. This also means that Saturday could (will) be Lavar's last game in a Redskins uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just let them lock up Greg Blache and Dale Lindsey (the linebacker coach) too. This also means that Saturday could (will) be Lavar's last game in a Redskins uniform.
:yes: as to Lavar's last season. Saturday's game ain't an automatic loss by any stretch!

Last edited by a moderator:
:yes: as to Lavar's last season. Saturday's game ain't an automatic loss by any stretch!
They can't get rid of him. He just did a new Eastern Motors commercial.

I hope so because both of those guys have played important roles. It wouldn't surprise me if one or even both got looks as a DC, but that's how it goes :shrug:

I think everyone's still recovering from Portis' commercial! :lmao:

My job is my credit! :D

If the Redskins keep their coaching staff together another 2 years, they're going to be a very good team. Their offseason moves finally started making some sense, their coaching finally started making some sense and being consistent, their management buttted out of coaching matters, and you can see the initial results this year.

Have you seen the one (BMW of Sterling, maybe) with JB, Cooley, and Doc Walker? Horrible. But, I think it is supposed to be horrible, so it's really funny.

If the Redskins keep their coaching staff together another 2 years, they're going to be a very good team. Their offseason moves finally started making some sense, their coaching finally started making some sense and being consistent, their management buttted out of coaching matters, and you can see the initial results this year.
I agree. For the first time since Gibbs was last here you have something like continuity in the program. That's a major reason why a 6-10 team turned into a 10-6 team that peaked late in the season. The new program is taking root.

Have you seen the one (BMW of Sterling, maybe) with JB, Cooley, and Doc Walker? Horrible. But, I think it is supposed to be horrible, so it's really funny.
Yes, but nothing will ever touch Joe Jacoby's Big Screen Store commercial from back in the day. :thumbup:

If the Redskins keep their coaching staff together another 2 years, they're going to be a  very good team. Their offseason moves finally started making some sense, their coaching finally started making some sense and being consistent, their management buttted out of coaching matters, and you can see the initial results this year.
I agree. For the first time since Gibbs was last here you have something like continuity in the program. That's a major reason why a 6-10 team turned into a 10-6 team that peaked late in the season. The new program is taking root.
Read this in the Washington Post last week: When Gibbs was asked about Gregg Williams possibly leaving, he responded that he hopes to keep him, but everyone has to make their own decisions. He then mentioned that Greg Blache would become the DC and that the Redskins had a succession plan in place. Note that Greg Blache has experience as a DC and is already being paid like one.

Well since there's no salary cap on coaches, that's where Danny is going to use his :moneybag: to get a leg up on the league. And for guys like Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams? Works for me :thumbup:

Yes, but nothing will ever touch Joe Jacoby's Big Screen Store commercial from back in the day. :thumbup:
"I'm Joe Jacoby of the World Champion Washington Redskins..."Next year...

"I'm Joe Jacoby of the [bad edit] Washington Redskins..."

Just heard on sports radio that Williams has signed an extention worth 8 mil to stay with the Redskins. Not sure how many years involved. Sorry if honda.
Well, Honda typically refers to a thread that is the same as another existing thread. I'm not sure what to call a post that is the same as another post in the same thread.

Pleeeeeeease don't remind me! The poor guy sounds like he can barely speak English!!!

"And yes, and you too can own big screen......"

Just heard on sports radio that Williams has signed an extention worth 8 mil to stay with the Redskins. Not sure how many years involved. Sorry if honda.
Well, Honda typically refers to a thread that is the same as another existing thread. I'm not sure what to call a post that is the same as another post in the same thread.
A hybrid. Uses less bandwidth.

This also means that Saturday could (will) be Lavar's last game in a Redskins uniform.
For some reason the scene from Matrix where the agents coming to get Neo at work is coming to mind right now. Your problem is you don't have Morpheous to call and help you out. How dare you say such things...like Saturday will be our last game. Might have to revoke that DC and just call you Thunder going forward. ;)

If the Redskins keep their coaching staff together another 2 years, they're going to be a  very good team. Their offseason moves finally started making some sense, their coaching finally started making some sense and being consistent, their management buttted out of coaching matters, and you can see the initial results this year.
Did you notice how Williams got the Gatorade dumped on him after the win? The Defensive players love him!

Did you notice how Williams got the Gatorade dumped on him after the win? The Defensive players love him!
shades of Buddy Ryan :rolleyes:

shades of Buddy Ryan :rolleyes:
If they play like the '85 Bears defense, then they can act like them all they want to. :thumbup: It's indicative of the whole squad though. Bugel was on TV last night with George Michael saying it was the best lockerroom he'd ever been around in 28 years. The team is feelin' it.

Users who are viewing this thread