What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SD Best Team not making the playoffs? (1 Viewer)

da5exx

Footballguy
For weeks now I've heard that the Chargers "are possibly the best team that won't make the playoffs". Well, now the predictions are true. Should anyone really be surprised though? I don't think so. Schottenheimer may also be the winningest active coach in the league (if not, he's close) but he has NEVER been able to win the big game - I mean even get to the big game. For 3 decades (80s Browns, 90s Chiefs, 00s Chargers) he has coached a ton of talent. Teams that should have been championship teams that have suffered from "Marty Ball" and bad coaching decisions like letting Rich Gannon lead your team (90s Chiefs) to the playoffs only to bench him in favor of Elvis Grbac for the playoffs. One game and out. Now, the Chargers have half a dozen players headed to the Pro Bowl this year and probably more talent than Marty has ever worked with before, and they can't even make the playoffs. No excuses for the Chargers - you are what your record shows. However, I can't help but think they could easily be a Super Bowl team next year (or could have been the last couple of years) with a good coach. I'm not a Chargers fan, but as an overall football fan I wanted to make this point about Schottenheimer. In my mind, he should never be considered for the Hall of Fame (even though he will be) because when it counts he has only proven he knows how to lose and make bad decisions. And really, no one remembers or cares who is the best team not to make the playoffs or win the big game. That's why no one should remember or care about Schottenheimer until he can prove otherwise. :football: Anyone else agree or is it just me?

The Chiefs are better than the Chargers and have a better record and would also miss the playoffs right now, so I would say San Diego is not the best team to not make the playoffs, as of now.Schottenheimer is a stooge, though, when it comes to close games. That much is clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
For 3 decades (80s Browns, 90s Chiefs, 00s Chargers) he has coached a ton of talent. Teams that should have been championship teams that have suffered from "Marty Ball" and bad coaching decisions like letting Rich Gannon lead your team (90s Chiefs) to the playoffs only to bench him in favor of Elvis Grbac for the playoffs. One game and out. Now, the Chargers have half a dozen players headed to the Pro Bowl this year and probably more talent than Marty has ever worked with before, and they can't even make the playoffs.
... and what was the combined records of those "talented" Browns, Chiefs and Chargers teams before Mary got there?Marty is the Larry Brown of football. The only way people can knock him is he hasn't won a SuperBowl. What percentage of current NFL coaches would you say do "win the big game"? Name them. There aren't many.

Inconsistency at it's finest. Any given week can beat anyone (Colts), Any given week can lose to anyone (Dolphins).

For 3 decades (80s Browns, 90s Chiefs, 00s Chargers) he has coached a ton of talent. Teams that should have been championship teams that have suffered from "Marty Ball" and bad coaching decisions like letting Rich Gannon lead your team (90s Chiefs) to the playoffs only to bench him in favor of Elvis Grbac for the playoffs. One game and out. Now, the Chargers have half a dozen players headed to the Pro Bowl this year and probably more talent than Marty has ever worked with before, and they can't even make the playoffs.
... and what was the combined records of those "talented" Browns, Chiefs and Chargers teams before Mary got there?Marty is the Larry Brown of football. The only way people can knock him is he hasn't won a SuperBowl. What percentage of current NFL coaches would you say do "win the big game"? Name them. There aren't many.
Brown at least has a championship.Chiefs and Chargers are about equally talented.

Inconsistency at it's finest. Any given week can beat anyone (Colts), Any given week can lose to anyone (Dolphins).
The Dolphins are not a bad team. A little QB consistency, and I think they'd have been playoff contenders.

Brown at least has a championship.Chiefs and Chargers are about equally talented.
Yeah, that was pretty much my point.People said Larry Brown "could take a god-awful team and make them a strong playoff contender every year BUT he'll NEVER win the big game". Well, right up until he won the big game recently.

People go way overboard in bashing coaches. It's not easy taking a terrible team and making them a good team. Then fans act like the coach is incompetent if they can't get that crappy team to the superbowl in three years. How long has it been since we saw posts proclaiming Joe Gibbs wasn't in touch with todays players and the game had passed him by?

JMHO but the Dolphins might just be one of the best teams in football right now.

JMHO but the Dolphins might just be one of the best teams in football right now.
Agreed in that people seem to think MIA '05 = MIA '04.The Dolphins are a MUCH better team this season. How can people so quickly forget they BLEW OUT denver early in the year, and I think denver is a very good team that should win at least one playoff game.

Schottenheimer is being blamed (unfairly, I think) for his past shortcomings.If Parcells or Belichick coached this EXACT SAME TEAM to a 9-6 record, no one would be saying a peep about the coaching decisions (even if they did the EXACT SAME MOVES that Marty did).Fact it, he did a pretty good job this year. Sure, there were a few mistakes along the way -- but how many NFL coaches DIDN'T make any bonehead moves this year?The NFL is a tough league to break .500 in.

The Chargers had the toughest schedule in the NFL hands down!!!!There loses came against: DenverPittsburghDallasPhilly (when everyone was still there)KCMiamiTheir Wins against:NE (was at home)Indy (was at home)KCWasOakNYGOakNYJBuffAll of their loses came against good teams, in fact the teams they lost to all had winning records. IMO it was a great accomplisment for them to even win 8 games this year. This is a good team and a defensive secondary away from being a GREAT team! They made the playoffs last season and will just fall short this season. They again will be good next season and Marty will be just fine.

Schottenheimer has a career regular season record of 186-123-1 and 5-12 in the post-season. He's tied for 6th all time in most regular season wins. This year makes 17 of 19 full seasons at .500 or better. If the Bolts win next week, that would make 11 seasons with 10 or more wins.The teams he took over were:1-7 (CLE) and he went 4-4 his first year and 8-8 in his second season.4-11-1 (KC) and he went 8-7-1 his first year and 11-5 in his second season.8-8 (WAS) and he went 8-8 in his only season there.5-11 (SD) and he went 8-8 in his first season and 12-4 in his third season.Say what you want abuot his knack for coming up just short, but his record speaks for itself.

Since I started this post, I feel obligated to respond to a few of the Schottenheimer sympathizers that replied. My replies are beneath each quote.

I think Schottenheimer is one of the more underrated and best coaches in the league.
Now there's a fan that's happy to have winning season after winning season and always come up short in the playoffs.
... and what was the combined records of those "talented" Browns, Chiefs and Chargers teams before Mary got there?
I didn't say those teams were talented before he got there. I'm sure he added a few players - many good and a few scrubs like Grbac. I never disputed his ability to deliver a winning record. I said he was probably the winningest active coach in the NFL.
Marty is the Larry Brown of football. The only way people can knock him is he hasn't won a SuperBowl. What percentage of current NFL coaches would you say do "win the big game"? Name them. There aren't many.
Why name the ones in the NFL when he is competing against two in the AFC West: Shanahan and Vermeil. I don't know the percentage of coaches that do win the big game, but Marty has joined a select few - if any others - that have won as many games without delivering a championship. He's a regular season winner and clutches hard in the post season.
People said Larry Brown "could take a god-awful team and make them a strong playoff contender every year BUT he'll NEVER win the big game". Well, right up until he won the big game recently.
Problem is: Schottenheimer is not Larry Brown. And you remember that time that other guy said Larry Brown won a championship? I know you said that was your point, but it is also my point.
People go way overboard in bashing coaches. It's not easy taking a terrible team and making them a good team. Then fans act like the coach is incompetent if they can't get that crappy team to the superbowl in three years. How long has it been since we saw posts proclaiming Joe Gibbs wasn't in touch with todays players and the game had passed him by?
I totally agree, and I rarely bash a coach. However, Schottenheimer is my one big exception. He has 3 decades of winning seasons and playoff disasters. I think the Chargers are a really talented team that is suffering the previous fate of the 80s Browns and 90s Chiefs. If all you want in SD is a winning record, keep him.
Schottenheimer is being blamed (unfairly, I think) for his past shortcomings.

If Parcells or Belichick coached this EXACT SAME TEAM to a 9-6 record, no one would be saying a peep about the coaching decisions (even if they did the EXACT SAME MOVES that Marty did).

Fact it, he did a pretty good job this year. Sure, there were a few mistakes along the way -- but how many NFL coaches DIDN'T make any bonehead moves this year?

The NFL is a tough league to break .500 in.
I agree with you that he is and will be criticised more than Parcells or Belichick - and more than Shanahan or Vermeil. Guess what all of those coaches have achieved: one or more championship seasons. I am not even picking on just this season. I am just saying it is a typical season for a team being coached by Schottenheimer. Last year was really more typical. Make it to the playoffs and go one and out. "Marty Ball" delivers winning seasons and playoff nightmares.
All of their loses came against good teams, in fact the teams they lost to all had winning records. IMO it was a great accomplisment for them to even win 8 games this year. This is a good team and a defensive secondary away from being a GREAT team! They made the playoffs last season and will just fall short this season. They again will be good next season and Marty will be just fine.
I said the Chargers were and are a good team. I also said they could've and probably should've gone a lot farther. If you settle for Schottenheimer, you will probably continue to be a competitive, winning team that isn't going to bring home a championship. My whole post is about showing how Marty has been historically unable to win the big one for 3 decades - not just with the Chargers.
Schottenheimer has a career regular season record of 186-123-1 and 5-12 in the post-season. He's tied for 6th all time in most regular season wins. This year makes 17 of 19 full seasons at .500 or better. If the Bolts win next week, that would make 11 seasons with 10 or more wins.

The teams he took over were:

1-7 (CLE) and he went 4-4 his first year and 8-8 in his second season.

4-11-1 (KC) and he went 8-7-1 his first year and 11-5 in his second season.

8-8 (WAS) and he went 8-8 in his only season there.

5-11 (SD) and he went 8-8 in his first season and 12-4 in his third season.

Say what you want abuot his knack for coming up just short, but his record speaks for itself.
One more time in case you missed it: my original post above said he was probably the winningest active coach in the league. That means there several other coaches in the league that have won less but have won a championship. There are even more that have at least made it to the Super Bowl. You are absolutely right. Schottenheimer's record does speak for itself. He's a winner in the regular season but not the post season. Of course, this is just my opinion although history and stats don't lie. He could win it all next year with the talent he has in San Diego - but I REALLY doubt SD will do it with Schottenheimer as their coach. :football:

I think Schottenheimer is one of the more underrated and best coaches in the league.
People should at least get their stereotypes right. Marty has a fantastic record of making the playoffs. Getting on Marty for not making the playoffs is like getting on Belichick for not winning the Super Bowl. Marty's shtick is supposed to be losing in the playoffs.Not making the playoffs is Mike Tice's shtick.

All the "big game" stuff, though, whether about Manning or Marty or anyone else, is kind of silly. Streaks over small sample sizes are pretty meaningless.

By the way, San Diego is not the best team not making the playoffs. They are too inconsistent. They have a lot of lapses into mediocrity. The OL really played very badly over much of the second half of the season, and the secondary still isn't playing well together.

Chargers playcalling this season has made me sick, its pathetic how predictable it has been.
Cam Cameron called the plays. He'll be under consideration for a head coaching job somewhere next year.

Chargers playcalling this season has made me sick, its pathetic how predictable it has been.
Cam Cameron called the plays. He'll be under consideration for a head coaching job somewhere next year.
Even if it was predictable, wouldn't you want an offense ranked #4 in the NFL to be predictable if it's getting good results?I really have never understood this criticism of the offensive playcalling in general. Most of the time I see the Chargers lose it's due more to poor execution than playcalling and by the DB's in particular.

Yes, it's not like the offensive has been ineffective.

Yesterday ended the NFL's longest current streak for scoring at least 17 points in a game. The Chargers had done so in 27 straight regular-season contests.At 411 points, they are 57 short of the record set in 1981. They scored 446 last season, third-most in team history.
Link

By the way, San Diego is not the best team not making the playoffs. They are too inconsistent. They have a lot of lapses into mediocrity. The OL really played very badly over much of the second half of the season, and the secondary still isn't playing well together.
While you make some good points regarding inconsistency, not sure I agree that they aren't the best team not in the playoffs. Obviuosly they did this to themselves so they have noone else to blame but I will say this:On any given day they can beat anyone else. They are scary good when they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

Consider this:

Week 14: They lose to Miami at home.

Week 15: They upset Indy on the road.

Week 16: They lose to KC on the road.

This 3 week period probably demonstrates their inconsistency better than any other. It's a shame they won't be in the playoffs because they are a team that could put a stretch together and win the whole thing.

BTW-do people realize that they way under the cap? Hats off to MArty for taking this team this far considering the budget they've given him. :thumbup:

So Charger fans, if this years tough schedule kept them out of the playoffs, did last years easy schedule enable them to get in???????Also, is AJ Smith still a genius when Phillip Rivers is at home, working on that deft clipboard grip of his, if Big Ben and Eli wind up facing off in the Super Bowl??????

Also, is AJ Smith still a genius when Phillip Rivers is at home, working on that deft clipboard grip of his, if Big Ben and Eli wind up facing off in the Super Bowl??????
For all that San Diego got in their trade for Rivers, I'd say yes.

So Charger fans, if this years tough schedule kept them out of the playoffs, did last years easy schedule enable them to get in???????
I said after last year that SD would be 9-7 this year and miss the playoffs altogether due to an incredibly difficult schedule, and many ignored the obvious.They might get a gift win next week should Denver play their B team. The Chargers still had a Jeckyl and Hyde season, and while they were good enough to be teams like the Colts and Pats, they couldn't sustain their performance from week to week.

So Charger fans, if this years tough schedule kept them out of the playoffs, did last years easy schedule enable them to get in???????

Also, is AJ Smith still a genius when Phillip Rivers is at home, working on that deft clipboard grip of his, if Big Ben and Eli wind up facing off in the Super Bowl??????
Yes.

If Marty takes care of some problems with the passing D during the offseason, the Chargers will be scary good next year.
As much as I like to defend Marty he has to take the blame for the DB situation in SD. They've all been drafted too high since he's gotten there. It's not like they haven't been spending the picks on DB's, they either aren't as talented as the scouts think or they are failing to develop them. This might be the first year there was enough of a pass rush that you could put pretty much all the blame squarely on the DB's.Marty also made a mistake when he wouldn't bend his system to accomodate Harrison. I was all for getting rid of the over-rated Seau but Harrision was the real stud on the defense.

BTW-do people realize that they way under the cap? Hats off to MArty for taking this team this far considering the budget they've given him. :thumbup:
Certainly not the people who are constantly criticizing AJ.First he was stupid because he wouldn't cave into Rivers demand to be paid like the #1 pick(many of those same people now say that they knew all along Rivers would be a bust, the Chargers are the only ones that would have drafted Rivers in the first round, his trade value has been eroding every game since being drafted and they also know the winning lotto #'s next week).

Then they should have caved into Gates demands. AJ did neither and SD is in a pretty good cap situation because of it. He hasn't done a good job drafting DB's and seems stubborn in spending $ or draft picks on the OL but other than that he's pretty much been flawless.

Yes, schedule was a factor in both years.There's no doubt in my mind that the team was better in 2005 than in 2004. But the schedule was easier in 2004.

Yes, AJ's decisions have been remarkably good so far.

There's no doubt in my mind that the team was better in 2005 than in 2004. But the schedule was easier in 2004.
The 2005 Chargers are 3-5 in games decided by 8 points or less (one possession). The 2004 Chargers were 6-4 (counting the playoff loss) in games decided by 8 points or less.

It seems to me that the team that was better in close games was better, especially when they also had a better record (and yes, an easier schedule). Let's face it, if the Chargers were really as good as so many thought they were, they would have won more of those close games and games against good teams.

The 2005 Chargers are 4-6 against above .500 teams. If they were such a great team, they would have won more of those games, right?

It seems to me that the team that was better in close games was better, especially when they also had a better record (and yes, an easier schedule). Let's face it, if the Chargers were really as good as so many thought they were, they would have won more of those close games and games against good teams.
They had a lot of bad luck in some of those games. There is such a thing as luck in football, and the ball bounced perfectly several times for both the Cowboys and the Eagles.I don't put a lot of stock into going 3-5 or 6-4 or whatever. The sample is too small to draw any conclusions from, and luck can play a big part in the results.

They had a lot of bad luck in some of those games. There is such a thing as luck in football, and the ball bounced perfectly several times for both the Cowboys and the
You can blame it on luck, but did luck hold Tomlinson to almost nothing on the ground in the Philly game? Was it luck that forced the fumble on SD's last drive where they were trying to tie the game up? I don't think so. The bottom line is San Diego was not a good team this season in close games and that is why they will watching the playoffs on television.

i remember back in cleveland Marty using the Prevent Offensei loved it

:sarcasm:

i remember back in cleveland Marty using the Prevent Offensei loved it

:sarcasm:
I don't believe the Chargers problems are from play calling. I believe Cam Cameron has done a good job of play calling throughout the year with a few exceptions. I am afraid Cam may end up as head coach of another franchise next year which could really hurt SD. The reasons SD did not make the play-offs are consistently bad play by the DB's, a tough schedule, and inconsistent play by the entire team. Great teams do not play down to the level of their competition. Great teams dominate bad teams. Great teams put their opponent away when they get the chance. Great teams come up with a way to win the close games. The Chargers are not yet a great team. They may have more talent than any other team that did not make the playoffs, but are not a great team until they can play at a high level week in and week out.

As far as Marty goes, I think he is partly to blame for the team not performing as well as they could have at times, and he needs to figure out a way to instill a real winning attitude in the young players he has. He is, however, a very good coach and the team is far ahead of where they were a year before he came here. All the folks that continue to talk about Marty-ball have not been watching the Chargers this year and are simply parroting what they have heard about him in the past.

They had a lot of bad luck in some of those games. There is such a thing as luck in football, and the ball bounced perfectly several times for both the Cowboys and the
You can blame it on luck, but did luck hold Tomlinson to almost nothing on the ground in the Philly game? Was it luck that forced the fumble on SD's last drive where they were trying to tie the game up? I don't think so. The bottom line is San Diego was not a good team this season in close games and that is why they will watching the playoffs on television.
Some people call that a "luck" game because SD was kicking a FG to put them up 20-13 with around 2 minutes left in the game, but instead it was blocked and ran back for a TD so in the span of a minute you went from a 7 point lead to a 4 point deficit.Personaly, I'm with you and don't think luck decides football games. If SD would have executed they would have deserved to win that game but they didn't. I'm not even convinced the CB's would have held to the lead to be completely honest.

Interestingly, despite the fact SD made the playoffs last season and missed the playoffs this season I as a Charger fan feel this team is closer to contending for a title. A big concern of mine is Donnie Edwards. He's no spring chicken and he really is the heart and soul of that defense. LB's aren't the most difficult position to replace but special players at any position are.

I agree 100%, and I'm a Denver fan. Without question. You always see those trendy "top 10 coaches" lists, and they always include relative newcomers like John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crennel, and Lovie Smith, while leaving off guys with a PROVEN history of success like Shanahan, Cowher, Schottenheimer, and Vermeil. I guarantee you I would take ANY SINGLE ONE of the latter 4 over any single one of the former 4. All of the latter coaches have proven over and over again that they just know how to win. All of the former coaches have proven that they can have at least 1 good season, and that's it. In the NFL, 10 years of success trumps 2 years of success every single time.Any top 10 coaches list that doesn't include Parcells, Shanahan, Vermeil, Schottenheimer, and Cowher is simply invalid. Fans might like the flash-in-the-pan guys, but owners want to hire guys who will bring a tradition of excellence. You know your coach is a coaching giant when success becomes so blase that you can go 10 seasons with only a single losing season and 2 SB wins and be ranked outside of the top 10 coaches in the NFL.

I remember 2 seasons ago, Pitt was coming off of a bad (6-10) season, and Cowher got a contract extension, and the fans went berserk, saying it was time to get rid of him. The fans, it turns out, were right- I mean, Pittsburgh went 15-1 and all, and set a wins record for the AFC, but they didn't win the SB. Cowher's a bum! Send him packing!

The way to success is to continually field a very very good team and hope to one season catch lightning in a bottle. And Schotty is one of the best in the business at contiually fielding very very good teams. Heck, it was just two seasons ago that a San Diego columnist said he looked at SD's schedule, and the worst team on it was them. They went 12-4 that season.

Yeah, dude, totally. I mean, like, I totally called all 4 of those LaDainian Tomlinson TD passes. And at the end of the Dallas game, I turned to my friend and said "They need a TD and have 4 downs inside the 10 yard line to get it. No way do they give the ball to Tomlinson here."Predictable. Yeah. That's what the Chargers were. And here I thought the word I was looking for was "incredible". Turns out it was "predictable".

The 2005 Chargers are 3-5 in games decided by 8 points or less (one possession).

The 2004 Chargers were 6-4 (counting the playoff loss) in games decided by 8 points or less.

The 2005 Chargers are 4-6 against above .500 teams. If they were such a great team, they would have won more of those games, right?
This is a great big NFL myth. Studies have shown that the best measure of a good team is how frequently they blow out bad teams, not how frequently they win against good teams. In addition, it has shown that winning percentage in close games has pretty much no predictive power in playoff performance- in fact, teams involved in a lot of close games, whether they win or lose, are more likely to LOSE in the playoffs.Read this article for more: http://foxsports.foxnews.com/nfl/story/5131178

Schottenheimer may also be the winningest active coach in the league (if not, he's close) but he has NEVER been able to win the big game
I thought the win against the 13-0 Colts was a pretty big game. :shrug:

What goes around comes around as they say. SD benifited greatly from an easy schedule last year and this year they are getting screwed by it. Karma maybe?

Many of the posts have turned this whole discussion into defending the Chargers. I started this whole thing, and it is not about the Chargers - it is about Schottenheimer. I said from the beginning that the Chargers are a good team and have a lot of talent. Let's stick to the topic - and that topic is Schottenheimer can win in the regular season but has never won - let alone made it to - the Super Bowl. A few replies below.

I agree 100%, and I'm a Denver fan. Without question. You always see those trendy "top 10 coaches" lists, and they always include relative newcomers like John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crennel, and Lovie Smith, while leaving off guys with a PROVEN history of success like Shanahan, Cowher, Schottenheimer, and Vermeil. I guarantee you I would take ANY SINGLE ONE of the latter 4 over any single one of the former 4. All of the latter coaches have proven over and over again that they just know how to win. All of the former coaches have proven that they can have at least 1 good season, and that's it. In the NFL, 10 years of success trumps 2 years of success every single time.

Any top 10 coaches list that doesn't include Parcells, Shanahan, Vermeil, Schottenheimer, and Cowher is simply invalid. Fans might like the flash-in-the-pan guys, but owners want to hire guys who will bring a tradition of excellence. You know your coach is a coaching giant when success becomes so blase that you can go 10 seasons with only a single losing season and 2 SB wins and be ranked outside of the top 10 coaches in the NFL.
I agree almost completely. As a Denver fan, I want Schottenheimer to stay in SD, too. I thought it was only fair to point out that they will not likely ever win a Super Bowl with Schottenheimer as their head coach. I like most of your comparisons above when it comes to coaches. However, I'll take the coaches you listed that have been to the Super Bowl and won it once or twice over those that have not. You know Schottenheimer has had the talent to work with, the winning regular season records to get several post season opportunities, and yet he just cannot get it done.
Schottenheimer may also be the winningest active coach in the league (if not, he's close) but he has NEVER been able to win the big game
I thought the win against the 13-0 Colts was a pretty big game. :shrug:
It was a regular season game. Did you not read my original post? I'm talking about THE big game - the one he hasn't EVER made it to. Just to ease up a little, look at his post season record (I think a previous post said 5-12). That is definitely in the opposite direction of his regular season record. Fact is, SD has a lot of talent headed to the Pro Bowl. A team like that should have made it further along the road to the Super Bowl last year and should have at least made it to the road this year. As a Denver fan, I'm glad you have Marty in SD. :football:

hey are scary good when they don't shoot themselves in the foot.Consider this:Week 14: They lose to Miami at home.Week 15: They upset Indy on the road.Week 16: They lose to KC on the road.
This is a microcosm of the SD season. Schotty is a great coach, no doubt about that. I just dont' think this was one of his great seasons. They have ample talent all around, and that showed in the road games in Indy and NE. Where they failed is in coming out ready to play every week. That's a coaching problem. These guys are pros, your primary job as a coach is to organize them into a single unit, and motivate them. In that Marty failed this season. Best team to not make the playoffs? Maybe, but playing the way they did down the stretch, losing at home to Miami, and on the road to KC, they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

My point was there are plenty of big games before you get into the playoffs. The win over the Colts was a huge win and I am sure Shotty has won plenty of other big games. So I think you are wrong when you say all Marty knows is how to lose games that count.Yes he has a pitiful playoff record and for that reason I think he is a good but not great coach.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: They've beat Cleveland, Oakland, Buffalo, SD, Jets, and Tennessee. This is a joke right? Outside of the SD win which was a nice win, they've beaten five of the NFL's worst teams. Maybe they are one of the best teams in the NFL if they play 4-11 teams every week.

Since KC and SD are better than JAX it's too bad that both those teams will likley be left out. I think the Cowboys are also better than the Jags so they may be able to make a chase for themselves as well. Somehow I think they get in.

The Chargers had the toughest schedule in the NFL hands down!!!!

There loses came against:

Denver

Pittsburgh

Dallas

Philly (when everyone was still there)

KC

Miami

Their Wins against:

NE (was at home)

Indy (was at home)

KC

Was

Oak

NYG

Oak

NYJ

Buff

All of their loses came against good teams, in fact the teams they lost to all had winning records. IMO it was a great accomplisment for them to even win 8 games this year. This is a good team and a defensive secondary away from being a GREAT team! They made the playoffs last season and will just fall short this season. They again will be good next season and Marty will be just fine.
No, SD does not have the toughest schedule so far. The Washington Redskins had the toughest. Check out the Draft Order update link. So far the Redskins opponents have a .556 winning percentage and the Chargers opponents have a .538 winning percentage. Also, who would have thought that on both schedules the Eagles would actually end up being one of the bottom teams? We still have week 17 and I am not about to figure that out, but as of week 16, the Redskins have the toughest schedule.By the way, it also says Houston tied Washington at .556 and SF had the toughest overall at .573, but I am not counting them. First of all at 2-13/3-12, they made every one of their opponents have better records and they both got to play a 13-2 team 3 times, so for those three weeks the opponents records is 39-6, which really skews their other opponents who were under .500.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: They've beat Cleveland, Oakland, Buffalo, SD, Jets, and Tennessee. This is a joke right? Outside of the SD win which was a nice win, they've beaten five of the NFL's worst teams. Maybe they are one of the best teams in the NFL if they play 4-11 teams every week.

Since KC and SD are better than JAX it's too bad that both those teams will likley be left out. I think the Cowboys are also better than the Jags so they may be able to make a chase for themselves as well. Somehow I think they get in.
Earlier in the year they beat CAR and they beat DEN 34-10. Do those wins count?

As a Denver fan, I want Schottenheimer to stay in SD, too. I thought it was only fair to point out that they will not likely ever win a Super Bowl with Schottenheimer as their head coach.
Of course not. Schottenheimer will only be coaching for a few more years. No team is likely to win a Super Bowl in the next few years. (That sounds funny because of course some team will win, but you know what I mean.)

No, SD does not have the toughest schedule so far. The Washington Redskins had the toughest. Check out the Draft Order update link. So far the Redskins opponents have a .556 winning percentage and the Chargers opponents have a .538 winning percentage.
I think the Chargers' schedule was tougher than the Redskins' schedule. You can't just look at win percentage since teams play most of their games within their own conference -- so a .540 in the AFC may well be more impressive than a .560 in the NFC. Also, the Chargers had to play four games against teams coming off byes. And I believe the Chargers logged more travel miles than the Redskins did as well.Not that it really matters. The schedule is what it is, and teams just have to beat whoever lines up across from them. The Chargers won some games, but not enough to make the playoffs. Maybe next year.

But as an academic exercise, if we are trying to figure out who had the toughest schedule, my vote would go to the Chargers.

Earlier in the year they beat CAR and they beat DEN 34-10. Do those wins count?
I'd call the week one win an anomaly. The Carolina win was at home but the Panthers are so inconstant it's funny. The Dolphins have made strides and I think their fans should be pleased but no way are they as good as Denver, the Colts, Seahawks, Pats, Steelers, Giants, or any other playoff team at this moment. They aren't even as good as JAX. they are headed in the right direction after years of mediocre teams but the only thing Dolphins fans have to worry about is the age of that defense. Other than that they have a great coach and a good offensive mix. If they can get a Phillip Rivers and a #2 Wr they could be an offensive juggernaut. But soon, they will be crappy on D.

Users who are viewing this thread