What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Second Verse, Greater Than The First (2 Viewers)

Did the second ABC have the "pounds, dollars...puhpuhouhpounds, dollars" tune on it? It was decent of so.
No that's the third album.  How To Be a Zillionaire.

Other 80s acts...Thomas dolbys The Flat Earth was a flop after the blinded with science album, but still great and maybe even better.

Talk Talk iirc. Joe Jackson had an epic first four album run.
Dolby's catalog is poorly represented on Spotify for rights related reasons.

Talk Talk got better as they went along.

Love that Dolby stuff. He somehow sounded both nerd and funky simultaneously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not their first and second albums, but first and second national and international distributions, Congratulations...I’m Sorry after New Miserable Experience for the Gin Blossoms always seems unfairly panned.  Some great driving tunes on that album, and I often prefer the version with ‘Til I Hear It From You on it to New Miserable Experience.
Didn't the songwriter die or quit the band or something?

I had posted a longer response about that, but it was long-winded and got jettisoned for the sake of continuity. It was about critical and audience expectations of the album because of that, the seismic movement in FM radio from '92-'96, record companies and supply-side hits vs. actual demand, etc., but it went into the ether.

Safe to say, yes, he died and many thought the band went with him. Perhaps prematurely. 

It got good reviews and is well liked but I feel like Evil Empire doesn't get the same praise as the other RATM albums and it might be my favorite of theirs. 

The Violent Femmes self-titled debut brought us Blister in the Sun, Please Do Not Go, Kiss Off, Gone Daddy Gone, Add it Up..it was an insanely good album and I think they should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - nobody sounded like them before, and nobody has sounded like them since. They are truly their own thing.

Their second album is largely forgotten even though it has Country Death Song, Black Girls, and Jesus Walking on the Water on it but Hallowed Grounds is great.

Sweet Misery Blues

I plan on posting the '18 countdown results at some point, then doing a '19 songs draft, a '19 album poll, a '10-19 song draft and a '10-19 album poll over the next six months - you're all on notice. 
Heh. I was being tongue-in-cheek. You paint such worlds of possibility. I'm personally very much up for the '10-19 stuff.

Many of my favorite artists had their peak on their 3rd record - Yes w Fragile, Little Feat w Dixie Chicken, Laura Nyro w NY Tendaberry, Radiohead w OK Computer
Digressin, lots of fun to be had over greatest debut, 2nd, 3rd, 4th records of all time.  

The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion ranks very near the top in greatest 2nd albums of all-time, backed up by critical acclaim, alas.

Digressin, lots of fun to be had over greatest debut, 2nd, 3rd, 4th records of all time.  

The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion ranks very near the top in greatest 2nd albums of all-time, backed up by critical acclaim, alas.
Steve Hoffman forum had a thread about the greatest fifth albums in existence. Interesting thread, but too many pictures and not enough reasoning behind why the albums were so good. They were just like lists out there in the ether. 

I’d add Electric Version over Mass Romantic, but I’m not sure the first was critically acclaimed/popular enough to count.

Depending on if you count an EP as a 1st album, Tool's "Undertow" was greater than "Opiate". If not, "Ænima" is greater than "Undertow".

Queensryche's "Rage for Order" is greater than "The Warning" which is greater than the debut EP "Queensryche"

And as great as "Mechanical Resonance" is, I feel Tesla's second release, "The Great Radio Controversy" is a better than the 1st album.

Paul's Boutique is the 1st one I thought of as well. On the flip side, Nirvana's "Nevermind" was a huge success but I didn't think it was as good as "Bleach." I loved the raw energy and sound on Bleach.

Paul's Boutique is the 1st one I thought of as well. On the flip side, Nirvana's "Nevermind" was a huge success but I didn't think it was as good as "Bleach." I loved the raw energy and sound on Bleach.
Wow. That's a rare complaint, but if you were already steeped in Seatlle's sound, I can easily see it. Nevermind was such a departure. 

Does anyone think Congratulations is better than Oracular Spectacular?  I don't but I thought the negative overreaction to Congratulations was insane. 

Does anyone think Congratulations is better than Oracular Spectacular?  I don't but I thought the negative overreaction to Congratulations was insane. 
That's awesome. No way was Congratulations better, but I'd love to hear that defense.

Totally in the spirit of the thread, and a post after my own local heart. (MGMT is from CT, like literally two doors away from old stomping grounds.)

That's awesome. No way was Congratulations better, but I'd love to hear that defense.
I'm not passionate enough about either album to make the case but 'It's Working' is pretty easily my favourite song of theirs over the big singles from Oracular 

I'm not passionate enough about either album to make the case but 'It's Working' is pretty my favourite song if theirs over the big singles from Oracular 
Huh. I'll have to check it out. That was an instant revulsion listen, Congratulations was. 

Users who are viewing this thread