What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Seinfeld": Does it hold up 10 years later? (1 Viewer)

'cstu said:
'gump said:
Elaine was a crappy character in season 1.
Very. A lot of her early lines barely got awkward laughs.
gotta disagree. Early Elaine is way better than Late Elaine. Much hotter, too.
Are you sure you are thinking of the right 'early' Elaine? Hotter yes....but not funny in eps like 'The Robbery' and 'Male Unbonding' and 'the Stock Tip'.
The first time she's funny on the show is in 'The Chinese Restaurant' at the end of season 2.
Anyone notice that Kramer isn't even in 'The Chinese Restaurant'?Maybe the single most highly acclaimed and remembered episode in the series and Kramer didn't even make an appearance.Watched the commentary and it was because, at that point, Kramer's character was a shut-in that never left the apartment building. He was apparently pretty pissed that he couldn't be in the episode and told them it wasn't going to happen again.

Yeah, Kramer was never supposed to be a character that went anywhere in public with the gang, but Michael Richards was so awesome playing him, that they expanded his role big time, which was clearly a very wise decision. :thumbup: :thumbup:

'Brunell4MVP said:
'gump said:
'Rick James said:
'gump said:
'Brunell4MVP said:
Elaine was a crappy character in season 1.
Very. A lot of her early lines barely got awkward laughs.
gotta disagree. Early Elaine is way better than Late Elaine. Much hotter, too.
Are you sure you are thinking of the right 'early' Elaine? Hotter yes....but not funny in eps like 'The Robbery' and 'Male Unbonding' and 'the Stock Tip'.
Kramer, George, and the side characters made the show. Puddy is ####### hilarious. Newman, a classic. Soup Nazi. Jackie Chiles. Mickey Abbott. Jerry's parents. George's parents. They were the people I watched the show to see.
This. 90% of the shows were when a situation happened and then either George or Kramer (mostly Kramer) got involved, and everything went haywire.

'Rick James said:
'cstu said:
'Brunell4MVP said:
I actually think season 1 was too slow. There is too much pause between characters lines. Almost like they didn't have enough writing to fill the time. Elaine was a crappy character in season 1. But by season 2 it was rolling and the writers had more ideas and story lines. They also got rid of the guy that originally played Jerry's dad, and the new Morty was a huge improvement.
I'm almost done with season 2 now and I realized what was wrong with the early episodes - Seinfeld had a part in writing them.
I'm lost here. Seinfeld helped write every episode.
Not much after season 2.

'Rick James said:
'cstu said:
'Brunell4MVP said:
I actually think season 1 was too slow. There is too much pause between characters lines. Almost like they didn't have enough writing to fill the time. Elaine was a crappy character in season 1. But by season 2 it was rolling and the writers had more ideas and story lines. They also got rid of the guy that originally played Jerry's dad, and the new Morty was a huge improvement.
I'm almost done with season 2 now and I realized what was wrong with the early episodes - Seinfeld had a part in writing them.
I'm lost here. Seinfeld helped write every episode.
Not much after season 2.
Just an FYI, the "written by" credit doesn't really mean much in TV, unlike film. That said, my thinking would be that Jerry and Larry worked out a lot of the material for the first eight or so episodes on their own while in limbo between seasons, and then Jerry turned over control of the 'writers room' to Larry so he could focus on working on the set.

'The Bizarro Jerry'....great ep.'Kramer...I'm going to have to let you go.''But I don't even really work here!''Thats what makes this so difficult.'

'gump said:
'The Bizarro Jerry'....great ep.'Kramer...I'm going to have to let you go.''But I don't even really work here!''Thats what makes this so difficult.'
just watched this one....one of the best ever.kramer workingbizzaro friendsman hands

"9 to 5" is the title of a popular song written by British songwriter Florrie Palmer and recorded by Sheena Easton in 1980, becoming her biggest hit. It peaked at number three in the United Kingdom in August 1980 and was released in the United States in February 1981 (retitled "Morning Train" to avoid confusion with Dolly Parton’s “9 to 5”), where it reached number one.The tune was featured in the 2004 movie EuroTrip as the Manchester United Supporters Club theme and was also played as part of a montage in two episodes of Seinfeld: "The Bizarro Jerry" episode in which Kramer finds himself working 9 to 5 at Brand/Leland, and "The Butter Shave" episode in which George fakes a handicap at Play Now.

Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayElaine accidentally does a British accent in a job interview after marathoning Downton Abbey. She gets the job and has to keep faking it.
Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayNewman is the third Harbaugh brother. Jim and John spend all of Super Bowl week pretending they don't know him.
Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayKramer gets hooked on "Homeland," starts seeing the actor who plays Abu Nazir everywhere. K:"He's up to something Jerry!" J:"He's an actor!"
Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayKramer gets a rep as a tease for tapping his foot at urinals without following through on casual sex. "I'm just a tapper! I can't stop!"
Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayBabu Bhatt's new restaurant is featured on Kitchen Nightmares. Gordon Ramsey decides that the restaurant's biggest problem is Jerry.
:lmao:

Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayElaine accidentally does a British accent in a job interview after marathoning Downton Abbey. She gets the job and has to keep faking it.
Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayNewman is the third Harbaugh brother. Jim and John spend all of Super Bowl week pretending they don't know him.
Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayKramer gets hooked on "Homeland," starts seeing the actor who plays Abu Nazir everywhere. K:"He's up to something Jerry!" J:"He's an actor!"
Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayKramer gets a rep as a tease for tapping his foot at urinals without following through on casual sex. "I'm just a tapper! I can't stop!"
Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayBabu Bhatt's new restaurant is featured on Kitchen Nightmares. Gordon Ramsey decides that the restaurant's biggest problem is Jerry.
:lmao: I almost wish they'd come back. I guess they'd have trouble living up to its past self but these would be hilarious and it doesn't seem like any of them are doing too much with their post-Seinfeld lives.

Whenever someone at work asks me what I'm doing, I say : "Just trying to get ahead...."

just saw the pimp episode.Amazing how the last scene is Kramer dressed as a pimp tussling with a hooker in a pink Cadillac.How that whole scene materialized throughout the show is amazing.from having access to the caddyaltercation with the hookerobtaining the hat the cane the coatAmazing how that all comes togetherOh and episode before was the kenny rogers rosters.Jerry: I sure do miss my apartment maybe I'll switch back.Kramer: Oh you don't want to think about that no sir. Otherwise I'd have nochoice but to put that banner back up and run that Roger's right outof town.Jerry: I don't think you will. As a matter of fact I'll save you the trouble,I'll do it myself.Kramer: Yea, yea go ahead put the banner up doesn't matter to me.Jerry: Alright.Kramer: No Jerry! I need that chicken, I gotta have that chicken, you leavethose roasters alone, Kenny never hurt anybody.Jerry: You got a little problem.Kramer: Oh I got a big problem Jerry!

Watch the reruns at least 2-3 times a week, usually are on 11:00 and again at 11:30. 15 years off the air and this show still holds down prime syndicate hours. Hard to name a better show that has come along since then as a 30 minute sitcom on one of the 4 main networks. I think it holds up really well, occasionally the show does look dated when they get in situations that would easily be resolved with a common cell phone.

Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge keeps using his ex's Netflix because the suggestions are finally perfect for him. "I can't start over. This thing knows me, Jerry!"Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge's gf is embarrassed they met online, creates fake backstories for them but can't pick one. ELAINE:"How'd you meet?" G:"I don't know!"Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge tries to get on "What Not To Wear" to get a free suit to wear for a wedding. Kramer develops 2D glasses for people who hate 3D moviesModern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge rides the subway for hours trying to make eye contact with women so he can meet someone on Craigslist Missed Connections.Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge's new gf is angry that the (pic of his junk) he sent wasn't taken for her but is his "go-to" pic. "I'm supposed to take a new one each time?!"

The Barber is solid.The Penske File.'Our next bachelor is a high school grad...er....equivalency.....he's 6'3" 190 pounds....he likes fruit....and he just got a haircut.'

Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge keeps using his ex's Netflix because the suggestions are finally perfect for him. "I can't start over. This thing knows me, Jerry!"Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge's gf is embarrassed they met online, creates fake backstories for them but can't pick one. ELAINE:"How'd you meet?" G:"I don't know!"Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge tries to get on "What Not To Wear" to get a free suit to wear for a wedding. Kramer develops 2D glasses for people who hate 3D moviesModern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge rides the subway for hours trying to make eye contact with women so he can meet someone on Craigslist Missed Connections.Modern Seinfeld ‏@SeinfeldTodayGeorge's new gf is angry that the (pic of his junk) he sent wasn't taken for her but is his "go-to" pic. "I'm supposed to take a new one each time?!"
These are awesome.

These are awesome.
:goodposting: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

My local station is showing "The Puerto Rican Day" right now. It's like watching a new episode. I don't think they ever showed this after the first-run due to the controversy over the PR flag burning.

My local station is showing "The Puerto Rican Day" right now. It's like watching a new episode. I don't think they ever showed this after the first-run due to the controversy over the PR flag burning.
This is my all-time favorite.Where you goin black Saab? You seem to be a tad askew.

You and I probably watch it on the same channel.

I was thinking the same thing before I saw it again last year. Then I remembered that it's pretty bad.

Here's a question:

In "The Cadillac, Part 1," Jerry returns from a high-paying gig. This is how he pays for the Cadillac. Kramer talks Jerry into showing him the check. Kramer is astonished and tells Jerry, "You're rich." So how much was the check? I have a theory in spoilers, because I am interested in your guesses.

I say it was about $50,000.

$10k seems too little, and $100k seems like a lot.

They showed it a handful of times, but with Kramer's stomping of the flaming Puerto Rican flag at the end edited out. I saw it unedited a few months back for the first time in forever. It's kind of like the lost episode. I love that you get Vandalay, Pennypacker and Jerry's Kel Varnsen all in the same scene.

Best episode for my money was The Merv Griffin Show

It had some of the best stories all around...

Elaine vs. The Sidler at work

George stomping pigeons in a park and running over a squirrel

Jerry vs. the woman with the great toy collection

And then of course, Kramer pretending everything that happened in his apartment was part of his rendition of the Merv Griffin show.

Hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUX-sCMDuw

(1:04 through 1:30 puts me in hysterics)

Last edited by a moderator:
The laser pointer on George's forehead was amusing. The rest of the episode fell flat.
This could be the least funny episode ever. And a clear sign that the show ended at the right time.
I could not agree more. I remember barely laughing at all during that episode, which almost never happened when I watched Seinfeld.

On the flip side, I can still remember my friend Matt and I watching The Yada Yada on its first airing on television and laughing non-stop for nearly 40 minutes (the episode ran way long).

The laser pointer on George's forehead was amusing. The rest of the episode fell flat.
This could be the least funny episode ever. And a clear sign that the show ended at the right time.
I could not agree more. I remember barely laughing at all during that episode, which almost never happened when I watched Seinfeld. On the flip side, I can still remember my friend Matt and I watching The Yada Yada on its first airing on television and laughing non-stop for nearly 40 minutes (the episode ran way long).
It's not a good one. I thought "The Susie" was worse, though - that's my least favorite by a large margin.

Users who are viewing this thread