What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Seinfeld": Does it hold up 10 years later? (1 Viewer)

1. Still holds up.2. Opposite George is absolutely the best ever. I think about it every time someone talks in a movie theater.
:hifive: My favorite also....all 3 story lines were solid ( Even Steven and the coffee table book)...and George kills it. 'Its a great day for a ball game....lets play two!'
:thumbup:
And I hate when they allowed audience applause. Glad they stopped it.
Best pause for audience noise was Vandelay Industries when George was on the floor with his pants down. Jerry had to wait for the laughter to stop give the "and you want to be my latex salesman" line. :lmao:
Another good one is in the marine biologist episode right at the end after George reveals the golf ball and Kramer asks if it is a Titelist... long pause.... "A hole in one, huh?"

Still good but many of the jokes have their setup in the first few minutes. So sometimes tough to come in mid-show and catch all the jokes. But most have seen every episode anyway and know the setup.

While watching the talent portion of the Miss America pageant with my wife, she commented how bad one of the singers was, I said that someone must have killed her doves. Still funny.

While watching the talent portion of the Miss America pageant with my wife, she commented how bad one of the singers was, I said that someone must have killed her doves. Still funny.
I said the same thing from another room when the sound drifted in over the football game.

'Sarnoff said:
'comfortably numb said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'comfortably numb said:
'Captain Quinoa said:
Original airing was must see TV. Does not hold up, unfortunately.
nonsense!I had the greatest day of my life last week.Was watching reruns, and stumbled upon an episode I never saw before.It was like I was transported back 15 years ago, it was essentially a festivus miracle!
Which episode?
puerto rican day parade.
Ahh, yes, the second-to-last episode of the final season. NBC got so many complaints they never re-ran it. It wasn't in the syndication package for a while, either, so it only showed up on off-network repeats two years or more after the show ended.
The complaints were because Kramer stomped all over the Puerto Rican flag. They did show it in repeats but not often and cut that scene. Did they show that scene comfortably numb?
They did, I saw it. Not sure if I'm Hippling here.

I've made this point before, but....I'm in a cap league where your team name must be a Seinfeld reference. There are 250+ teams, very few duplications & i giggle at at least one of them each time i check my place in the standings. There's not another cultural entity that can claim so wide a berth in public consciousness.

I've made this point before, but....I'm in a cap league where your team name must be a Seinfeld reference. There are 250+ teams, very few duplications & i giggle at at least one of them each time i check my place in the standings. There's not another cultural entity that can claim so wide a berth in public consciousness.
Link? I'd like to read those.

The Puerto Rican Day episode is probably one of my least favorite Seinfeld episodes. I just didn't laugh that much during it. Most of the last season was still pretty great (although the show peaked in Seasons 4-7), but the final two episodes were disappointing (the final episode relied too much on window-dressing than being funny).

The Puerto Rican Day episode is probably one of my least favorite Seinfeld episodes. I just didn't laugh that much during it. Most of the last season was still pretty great (although the show peaked in Seasons 4-7), but the final two episodes were disappointing (the final episode relied too much on window-dressing than being funny).
'Thats gotta hurt!' But agree, coming of the India ep I was definitely disappointed in the last 2.

Looking over the episode listing, the last season really was hit or miss. Major hits: The VoiceThe Serenity NowThe Merv Griffin Show The BetrayalThe StrikeThe BurningMajor misses: The Junk MailThe Cartoon (the presence of Kathy Griffin is NEVER good)The WizardThe Puerto Rican Day

here's some:Dont touch Jimmy!Big saladAssmanIs that a TitleistMoopsNo soup For youDeath blowBizarro JerryCinnamon babkaFacepainterAIDS ribbonEven StevenDinky DonutsCrazy Joe DavolaMarine BiologistAG PennypackerThese pretzels...Buck nakedSuper Bowl sexrompJPetermanBoscoKavorkaSakamanoJimmy LegsSea was roughFestivusMagic loogieMulvaAnti-dentiteLittle JerryReal & SpectacularJFK's clubsMacaroni MidlerSummer of GeorgeMaestroBlock of cheeseCartwright?Lord of the IdiotsStan the CaddyKing of the countyLatvian orthodoxKickass PhilathropistKoKoMimbosKRogers RoastersNewman!Ziggy bedsheetsUncle Leo Mandelbaum!Yama hamaYoYoMa!yadayadayadaJackie ChildsLook away...i'm hideousLook to the cookieBlack & white Orgy guyCantstandyaArt VandelayGold Jerry Gold!Ive got handEduardo CaroccioFeats of strengthHe took it outYou wanna piece of me?!Harharwoodchuckerhipster doofusTor Eckmanchocolate babkaStop shortReverse peepholeThe dingo ate your babyserenity now!Master of my DomainThe DrakeDrake's coffee cakeJakeJarmelJerk storeFusilli JerryCuddyMy sister had a ponyCrab bisqueDel Boca VistaVan Buren BoysVandelay IndustriesI was in the pool!Russian Cable GuysGeorge is gettin' upset!Hole in oneThat's my move!Step off!PezIt's pronounced 'thermometer'Kranerica IndustriesCosmoFDRomanowskiFake erasedJon Voight's LeBaronjimmylegsPeterman Reality TourMarisa tomeiBean teethIt's about nothing

Last edited by a moderator:
Has "Hipster Doofus" been claimed?

That last season was a little sketchy. The show started declining a bit in the last season, so the finale came at the right time.

Looking over the episode listing, the last season really was hit or miss. Major hits: The VoiceThe Serenity NowThe Merv Griffin Show The BetrayalThe StrikeThe BurningMajor misses: The Junk MailThe Cartoon (the presence of Kathy Griffin is NEVER good)The WizardThe Puerto Rican Day
Actually, aside from Puerto Rican day, I like many of those misses :bag:

here's some:
I'd love to play in your league.Is "Yes, I'm impugning a continent" too long of an entry?

You can't judge Seinfeld, or a lot of classic shows, by their first season. As mentioned, it usually takes time for a show to hit its stride.
I finished season one just now, pretty awful. Everything seemed so forcedand references are very dated. The only bright spot was George. Also, Jerry's standup is painfully unfunny.
You can't base anything off of season 1. This show took awhile to hit its stride.There's generally not much I like about S1.
Was the Cartwright/Chinese Restaurant episode in S1? That's one of my favorites.

Sure, they all have their good parts, but as whole episodes, they'd be far down on my list of favorite episodes. Plus, it seems like they were really going overboard with some of the storylines. I mean, Kramer retiring to Florida, living in the same retirement community as Jerry's parents and running for condo president?

Sure, they all have their good parts, but as whole episodes, they'd be far down on my list of favorite episodes. Plus, it seems like they were really going overboard with some of the storylines. I mean, Kramer retiring to Florida, living in the same retirement community as Jerry's parents and running for condo president?
I know what you mean. The last season feels forced at times. Like the comedy wasn't coming easily.

I never watched Seinfeld "live", only through reruns. There's something odd about looking at the list of episodes, and seeing which ones were in the last season."The Maid", for instance. 2nd to last real episode of the series. Totally wouldn't have guessed that. One of my all-time favorites. "Let's keep this sophisticated."

You can't judge Seinfeld, or a lot of classic shows, by their first season. As mentioned, it usually takes time for a show to hit its stride.
I finished season one just now, pretty awful. Everything seemed so forcedand references are very dated. The only bright spot was George. Also, Jerry's standup is painfully unfunny.
You can't base anything off of season 1. This show took awhile to hit its stride.There's generally not much I like about S1.
Was the Cartwright/Chinese Restaurant episode in S1? That's one of my favorites.
"Season 1" was just 4 episodes, plus the pilot (which actually aired a YEAR earlier). It's amazing to think how long it took for Seinfeld to get rolling:Pilot - aired July 1989Season 1 - May-June 1990 (4 episodes)Season 2 - January-June 1991 (12 episodes)Season 3 - September 1991-May 1992 (23 episodes)"The Chinese Restaurant" was during Season 2.

I still find it amusing and humorous. It is not drop dead funny like it was when I first saw it, but that's cause I've seen every episode like 5 times.I actually think season 1 was too slow. There is too much pause between characters lines. Almost like they didn't have enough writing to fill the time. Elaine was a crappy character in season 1. But by season 2 it was rolling and the writers had more ideas and story lines. They also got rid of the guy that originally played Jerry's dad, and the new Morty was a huge improvement.I kind of look at it like Mash. Great show for a long time. Pierce's antics are a similar ruse to Kramer's physical acting method. George reminds me of Burns/Winchester. You have the female character in both to provide additional story lines. Jerry kind of brings them altogether although he's rarely a funny character, kinda like Sherman Potter or Honeycutt. Mash was one of the first shows to have consistent side characters that were funny, ie Flagg, Sidney, Mulkahey, Rizzo, Penobscot, etc. Seinfeld had theirs too, Puddy, Newman, Chiles, Wilhelm, etc.It's all still funny and the story lines were great. But if you watch something so much it just runs it course.

Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Futurama comprise about 95% of my personality.Just the other day, I was grilling a delicious ribeye roast, and the wife asked me how it was turning out, and I said, "It is even uh-more succulent than I had uh-hoped."

'jdoggydogg said:
Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Futurama comprise about 95% of my personality.Just the other day, I was grilling a delicious ribeye roast, and the wife asked me how it was turning out, and I said, "It is even uh-more succulent than I had uh-hoped."
:lmao:I could do that with you all day.In fact, I have a 10-year friendship whose foundation was our mutual ability to carry on entire conversations using only Seinfeld quotes. Sad, but true.

'jdoggydogg said:
Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Futurama comprise about 95% of my personality.

Just the other day, I was grilling a delicious ribeye roast, and the wife asked me how it was turning out, and I said, "It is even uh-more succulent than I had uh-hoped."
:lmao: I could do that with you all day.

In fact, I have a 10-year friendship whose foundation was our mutual ability to carry on entire conversations using only Seinfeld quotes. Sad, but true.
Are you me?

'jdoggydogg said:
:lmao:I could do that with you all day.In fact, I have a 10-year friendship whose foundation was our mutual ability to carry on entire conversations using only Seinfeld quotes. Sad, but true.
Seinfeld and Simpsons for me. take those away, i don't think i'd even keep in touch with those four friends

'jdoggydogg said:
Seinfeld and Simpsons for me. take those away, i don't think i'd even keep in touch with those four friends
That's unpossible.

'jdoggydogg said:
That's unpossible.
What's a battle?

'jdoggydogg said:
That's unpossible.
IS IT!? Or is it so possible your head is spinning like a top!?

'jdoggydogg said:
Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Futurama comprise about 95% of my personality.

Just the other day, I was grilling a delicious ribeye roast, and the wife asked me how it was turning out, and I said, "It is even uh-more succulent than I had uh-hoped."
:lmao: I could do that with you all day.

In fact, I have a 10-year friendship whose foundation was our mutual ability to carry on entire conversations using only Seinfeld quotes. Sad, but true.
Are you me?
:unsure: KENNY?

Elaine was a crappy character in season 1.
Very. A lot of her early lines barely got awkward laughs.
gotta disagree. Early Elaine is way better than Late Elaine. Much hotter, too.
Are you sure you are thinking of the right 'early' Elaine? Hotter yes....but not funny in eps like 'The Robbery' and 'Male Unbonding' and 'the Stock Tip'.

I actually think season 1 was too slow. There is too much pause between characters lines. Almost like they didn't have enough writing to fill the time. Elaine was a crappy character in season 1. But by season 2 it was rolling and the writers had more ideas and story lines. They also got rid of the guy that originally played Jerry's dad, and the new Morty was a huge improvement.
I'm almost done with season 2 now and I realized what was wrong with the early episodes - Seinfeld had a part in writing them.

Are you sure you are thinking of the right 'early' Elaine? Hotter yes....but not funny in eps like 'The Robbery' and 'Male Unbonding' and 'the Stock Tip'.
What he says. Hotter maybe, but just cause she was younger and slimmer. Her hair was god awful. Watch the Stakeout. She looks horrid and the lines are pitiful. She wasn't even written into the original scripts for season 1. They added her last minute to bring in women viewers. She was not funny early on, even in most of season 2.Jerry was almost never funny to me.Kramer, George, and the side characters made the show. Puddy is ####### hilarious. Newman, a classic. Soup Nazi. Jackie Chiles. Mickey Abbott. Jerry's parents. George's parents. They were the people I watched the show to see.

Just saw him the other night. He was actually a lot funnier than I thought he would be. Laughed for 90 minutes straight

Just saw him the other night. He was actually a lot funnier than I thought he would be. Laughed for 90 minutes straight
I haven't seen his act recently but on Talking Funny he said that he uses the same material in all his acts. I assume his show is basically a 'greatest hits' of his best stuff. Gervais, C.K. and Rock were all pretty shocked since they come up with most new material in their shows.

I haven't seen his act recently but on Talking Funny he said that he uses the same material in all his acts. I assume his show is basically a 'greatest hits' of his best stuff. Gervais, C.K. and Rock were all pretty shocked since they come up with most new material in their shows.
I've seen him three times in last ten years. Always new material. I'm not saying he's in the CK class, but to be pushing 60 and rocking an arena, I came away impressed. Longtime Seinfeld fan though so maybe I'm a bit biased.

The first time she's funny on the show is in 'The Chinese Restaurant' at the end of season 2.

She was partially a victim of writers that couldn't write female characters in the early episodes. Once the staff expanded they got a handle on her.

She was partially a victim of writers that couldn't write female characters in the early episodes. Once the staff expanded they got a handle on her.
Funny that Jerry actually addresses that when writing the Pilot.....

I actually think season 1 was too slow. There is too much pause between characters lines. Almost like they didn't have enough writing to fill the time. Elaine was a crappy character in season 1. But by season 2 it was rolling and the writers had more ideas and story lines. They also got rid of the guy that originally played Jerry's dad, and the new Morty was a huge improvement.
I'm almost done with season 2 now and I realized what was wrong with the early episodes - Seinfeld had a part in writing them.
I'm lost here. Seinfeld helped write every episode.

'JackReacher said:
'cstu said:
'JackReacher said:
I've seen him three times in last ten years. Always new material. I'm not saying he's in the CK class, but to be pushing 60 and rocking an arena, I came away impressed. Longtime Seinfeld fan though so maybe I'm a bit biased.
I've seen him twice in the past 4 years or so, and both times he used different material. I've also seen his movie and have a couple CDs of his standup, and the material in his shows was different from those as well. I really enjoyed both shows.

Users who are viewing this thread