What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen (1 Viewer)

Got to ease him in somehow. Remember, Vereen was picked up before Ridley in the 2011 NFL draft. Anyways, Vereen may be a viable start after their BYE week... BUF, IND.
This is one of the most overstated facts I see in the SP. I've got both in some redrafts and neither in any long term leagues, so I've got no bias, but it doesn't matter anymore that Vereen was a few picks ahead of Ridley one and a half seasons ago. That is absolutely no longer a factor. I know Vereen owners would like to read into this as a sign of hope, but I think a rational, objective observer would throw this out. I mean, they weren't even half a round apart. From here on out, it is simply going to boil down to how they play and how they perform.
:goodposting: Wouldn't even matter if Ridley was undrafted and Vereen was a 2nd rounder. That's a sunk cost - it's what they do on the field now that matters.
But you're forgetting how the Saints traded up to get Ingram and how the Patriots traded down, which makes a ton of difference when one is thinking about Ingram, Vereen, and Ridley. :toilet:

Got to ease him in somehow. Remember, Vereen was picked up before Ridley in the 2011 NFL draft. Anyways, Vereen may be a viable start after their BYE week... BUF, IND.
This is one of the most overstated facts I see in the SP. I've got both in some redrafts and neither in any long term leagues, so I've got no bias, but it doesn't matter anymore that Vereen was a few picks ahead of Ridley one and a half seasons ago. That is absolutely no longer a factor. I know Vereen owners would like to read into this as a sign of hope, but I think a rational, objective observer would throw this out. I mean, they weren't even half a round apart. From here on out, it is simply going to boil down to how they play and how they perform.
:goodposting: Wouldn't even matter if Ridley was undrafted and Vereen was a 2nd rounder. That's a sunk cost - it's what they do on the field now that matters.
I agree with what you guys are saying. I think the takeaway (at least whenever I use the draft as an example) is that the Patriots perceived Vereen as having higher value than Ridley, just a year and half ago. This would mean nothing if Vereen was still at the end of the bench and not getting any playing time. But, to have that same guy come in and "start" last week and then perform as well as he did, one has to raise an eyebrow. Belichick has been praising the guy all week.

I agree with what you guys are saying. I think the takeaway (at least whenever I use the draft as an example) is that the Patriots perceived Vereen as having higher value than Ridley, just a year and half ago. This would mean nothing if Vereen was still at the end of the bench and not getting any playing time. But, to have that same guy come in and "start" last week and then perform as well as he did, one has to raise an eyebrow. Belichick has been praising the guy all week.
Of course BB wants to give Vereen playing time but that's a far cry from making him the starter. BB clearly had in mind a thunder and lightening attack when he drafted both of them and this is the first chance he's had with both of them healthy to do it. I'm not going to even bother trying to figure out how BB is going to use them week to week, but my gut tells me that Ridley will be the main back but Vereen will be worked in 50/50 occasionally.

Vereen officially started, so he was made "starter". But yeah, Ridley's still the guy, I was just throwing out that point.

Has anyone considered the fact that th Patriot's may be hyping him up right now because they are shopping him around prior to the trade deadline. Could they have seen enough from Bolden, Ridley and Woodhead that he is expendable? There are several teams that could be in the market for a RB and while he has an injury history he could make a decent starter in the league.

Has anyone considered the fact that th Patriot's may be hyping him up right now because they are shopping him around prior to the trade deadline. Could they have seen enough from Bolden, Ridley and Woodhead that he is expendable? There are several teams that could be in the market for a RB and while he has an injury history he could make a decent starter in the league.
Lol, I guess that's a possibility. Either way, I think he should be stashed until further notice.

Absolutely not...this isn't baseball...Vereen is playing because after not being able to get on the field due to injuries he is finally healthy, practicing well and earning some playing time...where it goes from here will be determined by his game-day production...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just get one of those vibes from this that at the end of the game Vereen will have gotten the bulk of the carries (not by a ton) and everyone will be pissed. Ridley owners will be mad for obvious reasons and all the Vereen owners will have him on the bench.

or Woodhead gets 15 touches...

I just get one of those vibes from this that at the end of the game Vereen will have gotten the bulk of the carries (not by a ton) and everyone will be pissed. Ridley owners will be mad for obvious reasons and all the Vereen owners will have him on the bench. or Woodhead gets 15 touches...
same here.

that doesn't make any kind of sense at all to me.

I think with Hernandez out and Welker neutralized by C. Finnegan, the Pats are going to use Vereen a lot in this one. I'm starting him over the Dalles RBs (Felix/Tanner).

Ridley is the workhorse back for the Pats. The only way that Vareen ever steps into the workhorse role is if Ridley continues to fumble or if he gets injured. BB has traditionally given a majority of carries to one back on 1st and 2nd down. In past years, that has been BJGE. Now it is Ridley.

Any thoughts on picking this guy up? The schedule is pretty nice for the next couple of weeks. What kind of projections are we looking at here and is there any chance he takes over the job from Ridley?

Any thoughts on picking this guy up? The schedule is pretty nice for the next couple of weeks. What kind of projections are we looking at here and is there any chance he takes over the job from Ridley?
Vereen may have an increased role, but as long as Ridley stays healthy or doesn't commit a number of bad fumbles, I don't see how Ridley doesn't remain the main guy. He's playing at a very high level right now.

Projections would probably be a wild stab in the dark with the way this team works. He could be gold, and he could be outscored by Woodhead. I don't think he takes the job from Ridley, but that doesn't mean he can't have a strong role in the offense, especially in ppr. He's starting to come on and I could see him with 12-15 touches a game which could put him as a solid flex type... but that's just a guess, you never know how he's gonna be used on a week to week basis.

Yeah, it is probably a guessing game for sure. He's been productive the past 2 games and my league is non-ppr. The Bills gave up enough rushing yards the first time they played for both backs to go over 100 yards which would be ideal in a flex spot.

I'm starting him this week. Both Bolden and Ridley had great games against the Bills, in Buffalo. Given that Bolden is out, I think we could see a 10+ performance from Vereen this week.

I'm starting him this week. Both Bolden and Ridley had great games against the Bills, in Buffalo. Given that Bolden is out, I think we could see a 10+ performance from Vereen this week.
True but it's possible that Bolden gets in the mix and there's Woodhead too.

True but it's possible that Bolden gets in the mix and there's Woodhead too.
I was under the impression that Bolden was still injured.
Upgraded to questionable but my bad Bolden MISSED practice yesterday. I had misread it as he returned to practice. That does improve matters concerning Vereen.

I originally asked the question this morning because I'm tempted to pick him up and play him over Jonathan Stewart this week.

Vereen has looked really good recently and showed a burst last night on that long TD. I think he will have solid fantasy value down the stretch.

In dynasty I'm really warming to him, he looks pretty electric.
Same here, although the problem is Ridley is very young as well and looks quite good, too. Belicheck may have found his workhorse, and Vereen may never be more than a bit player unless Ridley gets hurt.

Stuff in New England tends to snowball - if they think they've found something in Vereen than lookout...........how are Miami's LB's in coverage out of the backfield?

Ridley has been so consistent for me this season and I hate the possibility that his workload will continue to diminish with Vereen getting more opportunities. But such is life.

Vereen has gotten 2.1, 11.6 and 23.3 FFP's the last three weeks compared to Ridley's 15.8, 8.8 and 15.7 FFP's. Obviously Ridley can still produce decent numbers even when Vereen blows up, but going forward are there any indications/thoughts that Vereen may finally wrest more opps. from him? I know a huge chunk of Vereen's points came on the one 80 yard TD run last week and the ratio of carries over that 3 game streak have been 22:5, 13:11 and 21:10 all in favor of Ridley. Actually after typing that out I'm thinking that maybe I am making more out of it than I should be. :confused:

Ridley has been so consistent for me this season and I hate the possibility that his workload will continue to diminish with Vereen getting more opportunities. But such is life. Vereen has gotten 2.1, 11.6 and 23.3 FFP's the last three weeks compared to Ridley's 15.8, 8.8 and 15.7 FFP's. Obviously Ridley can still produce decent numbers even when Vereen blows up, but going forward are there any indications/thoughts that Vereen may finally wrest more opps. from him? I know a huge chunk of Vereen's points came on the one 80 yard TD run last week and the ratio of carries over that 3 game streak have been 22:5, 13:11 and 21:10 all in favor of Ridley. Actually after typing that out I'm thinking that maybe I am making more out of it than I should be. :confused:
The week prior to the bye the split was 15:8 and 17:7 the week before that. I think Ridley will keep getting lots of carries, at least in the games where the Patriots have big leads. But if the games are closer and/or the Pats are behind, Vereen is more of the pass-catching back (Ridley hasn't caught a pass since week 6 and has only one since week 2). The Pats also have one of the toughest rushing schedules the rest of the way, which may mean they don't pound Ridley as much and use Vereen for short passes. Hard to say, but that would be my bet.

Ridley has been so consistent for me this season and I hate the possibility that his workload will continue to diminish with Vereen getting more opportunities. But such is life. Vereen has gotten 2.1, 11.6 and 23.3 FFP's the last three weeks compared to Ridley's 15.8, 8.8 and 15.7 FFP's. Obviously Ridley can still produce decent numbers even when Vereen blows up, but going forward are there any indications/thoughts that Vereen may finally wrest more opps. from him? I know a huge chunk of Vereen's points came on the one 80 yard TD run last week and the ratio of carries over that 3 game streak have been 22:5, 13:11 and 21:10 all in favor of Ridley. Actually after typing that out I'm thinking that maybe I am making more out of it than I should be. :confused:
The week prior to the bye the split was 15:8 and 17:7 the week before that. I think Ridley will keep getting lots of carries, at least in the games where the Patriots have big leads. But if the games are closer and/or the Pats are behind, Vereen is more of the pass-catching back (Ridley hasn't caught a pass since week 6 and has only one since week 2). The Pats also have one of the toughest rushing schedules the rest of the way, which may mean they don't pound Ridley as much and use Vereen for short passes. Hard to say, but that would be my bet.
Hmmm..that's not the definitive and 100% reassuring answer I was looking for.

The fact that Woodhead only had one target in the passing game the last two weeks is a good sign for Vereen. That TD throw to Vereen last week is probably a play that could normally run with Woodhead, but he wouldn't take it to the house like Vereen did. Woodhead is quick and shifty, but not outright fast like Vereen. That added dimension will only make the Patriots offense stronger, and I think it is likely that Vereen sees the great majority of targets out of the backfield now, while continuing to get probably 1/3 of the carries, that varying of course based on the situation and flow of the game.

Of course, with Belichick, anything can happen, so Vereen will probably get 15 touches one week and two the next. :lol:

It's time!

Woodhead signed with SD.

Leon signed as a punt returner.

Welker out.

Amendola isn't of Welkers quality.

Hernandez and Gronk get hurt all the time.

Amendola gets hurt all the time.

Lloyd kind of stinks.

Ridley is not a 300 carry RB.

This was why I have been holding/buying Vereen. I think he will be the biggest benefactor from welkers departure. I am expecting NE to use Vereen in a Sproles type roles and give him lots of touches.

It's time!

Woodhead signed with SD.

Leon signed as a punt returner.

Welker out.

Amendola isn't of Welkers quality.

Hernandez and Gronk get hurt all the time.

Amendola gets hurt all the time.

Lloyd kind of stinks.

Ridley is not a 300 carry RB.

This was why I have been holding/buying Vereen. I think he will be the biggest benefactor from welkers departure. I am expecting NE to use Vereen in a Sproles type roles and give him lots of touches.
While I do believe Woodhead's departure is a positive for Vereen, I think the only people catching passes in NE will be Gronk and Hernandez. WRs are just decoys in that offense...someone to take up a defender.

Users who are viewing this thread