What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shawne Merriman (1 Viewer)

thatguy

Footballguy
All I heard was that he left the game with a groin injury. Anyone know anymore?Also, Chargers homers, his numbers have jumped considerably in the past couple weeks. Is he getting more PT, or is he just coming into his own? On a side note, anyone know where you can get stats for # of plays each defensive player participates in?

Thanks for the input guys. So, any Chargers homers care to provide some insight on Merriman? Has he been on the field more lately? Is he on the field on most plays, or only in certain formations? Etc.

After beginning the year as a situational pass-rusher, Merriman has started the last two games and will start the rest of the year. He's played extremely well. I like Ben Leber, but Leber does not make the impact that Merriman does.

Good sack matchup this week against NYJ- 3rd most allowed thus far. I think he's a good fantasy play as long we can guarantee he plays the majority of the game.

After beginning the year as a situational pass-rusher, Merriman has started the last two games and will start the rest of the year. He's played extremely well. I like Ben Leber, but Leber does not make the impact that Merriman does.
Impact being the key word here. Seeing how the guy's nickname is "Lights out" and he put Priest Holmes to sleep on Sunday, the guy can bring the hammer.To answer your question he is getting more PT and should see a larger role. He should see more starts and definately will be in the rush the passer on 3rd downs. I am not in any IDP leagues but as an SD season ticket holder I can vouch the guy is getting more time on the field.

Good stuff guys. That's what I wanted to hear. I snatched him up in a redraft league after his two sack effort this past weekend, and am now very glad I did.

FWIW, the Chargers website has a nice article on Merriman and Castillo, the two first rounders they took. LinkThe interesting part you would be interested in are these sections:

Merriman entered the starting lineup two weeks ago against Philadelphia. He’s recorded a team-high four sacks and forced two fumbles. His four sacks are tied for the most among NFL rookies. He shares the honor with Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware, the player drafted one spot ahead of him.“We’ve been very pleased with Shawne’s play,” Schottenheimer said. “His speed, power and athletic ability have really helped us. Our entire pass defense has been better the past couple of weeks because of the pressure we’ve been able to get on the quarterbacks. Shawne is definitely a big part of that.”
It is from the Chargers.com wesbite so you have to take it with a grain of salt. But then again, the numbers are real and his playing time should go up if he continues to put pressure on the QB.

FWIW, the Chargers website has a nice article on Merriman and Castillo, the two first rounders they took.

Link

The interesting part you would be interested in are these sections:

Merriman entered the starting lineup two weeks ago against Philadelphia.  He’s recorded a team-high four sacks and forced two fumbles.  His four sacks are tied for the most among NFL rookies.  He shares the honor with Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware, the player drafted one spot ahead of him.

“We’ve been very pleased with Shawne’s play,” Schottenheimer said.  “His speed, power and athletic ability have really helped us.  Our entire pass defense has been better the past couple of weeks because of the pressure we’ve been able to get on the quarterbacks.  Shawne is definitely a big part of that.”
It is from the Chargers.com wesbite so you have to take it with a grain of salt. But then again, the numbers are real and his playing time should go up if he continues to put pressure on the QB.
I REALLY want to pick up Merriman and play him this week. They play the Jets who are 3rd in the league in giving up sacks. Vinny is statue and Merriman can T off on him. My only problem with Merriman is that he gets almost all of his points on sacks. If he doesn't get a sack, then he will probably end up with 1 or 2 tackles. I would have to bench K. Morrison and L. Marshall for him...only playing 1 of those 3. Marshall or Morrison will score solid points but Merriman's matchup is so tempting... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very glad I picked him up... great game yesterday, 7 solo, 2 assists, and a sack--my leagues awards heavily for sacks.

Very glad I picked him up... great game yesterday, 7 solo, 2 assists, and a sack--my leagues awards heavily for sacks.
I believe they started him due to Foley's injuries, but I can't imagine they will take him out. He lays some serious smackdown.

Is this the first week he has started? I think it's the third week in a row he's put up solid tackle and sack numbers. In any case, I hope they don't take him out, and really see no reason they would.

Why isn't Merriman even listed on the LB projections for this week? Is he not going to play? I know he got that surgery on his wrist or something, but I thought he was expected to play.

Why isn't Merriman even listed on the LB projections for this week? Is he not going to play?

I know he got that surgery on his wrist or something, but I thought he was expected to play.
he's listed as a DL and is projected for 5 solo tackles and 1 sack

Why isn't Merriman even listed on the LB projections for this week?  Is he not going to play? 

I know he got that surgery on his wrist or something, but I thought he was expected to play.
he's listed as a DL and is projected for 5 solo tackles and 1 sack
Ah... thanks. :)

As a D. Edwards owner I have had my eye on Merriman now for the last few weeks. He is posting better numbers than Edwards. Would anyone consider benching Merriman for Edwards for the remainder of the season???

Users who are viewing this thread