What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting At Aurora, Colorado Movie Theater (1 Viewer)

According to one of the jurors, there was a single staunch anti-death penalty juror. 2 others on the fence.

Disgusting that this ####er gets to live. And to think, we almost went that night....
That's not supposed to happen, they always ask if people have death penalty views before they get on a murder jury and I'm pretty sure you can't make it on unless you say you think you can be completely objective.

He's schizophrenic. That can happen to anyone. I don't understand how he wasn't found insane to begin with. They have him on so many anti-psychotic drugs he's completely devoid of any emotion. His crime was horrible but I don't understand why killing him would be appropriate. The guys that killed the doctor's family in Connecticut, now those are the kind of people who need to be executed.
If they thought he was insane they should not have convicted him. If they convicted him they said they found he was sane, so if that's the case he should get death.

He's schizophrenic. That can happen to anyone. I don't understand how he wasn't found insane to begin with. They have him on so many anti-psychotic drugs he's completely devoid of any emotion. His crime was horrible but I don't understand why killing him would be appropriate. The guys that killed the doctor's family in Connecticut, now those are the kind of people who need to be executed.
If is very difficult, if not almost impossible to prove an insanity defense in most states. Classic example is serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, who dismembered his victims and had body parts in his refrigerator that he was eating, yet could not meet the threshold of proving insanity to a jury. If Dahmer couldn't be found insane, not surprising that Holmes wouldn't be either.

If they thought he was insane they should not have convicted him. If they convicted him they said they found he was sane, so if that's the case he should get death.
If they were following the law, and the jury instructions they may have had no choice. They could have thought he was completely nuts but if his actions did not meet the legal definition of insanity for Colorado, then they would still have convict him, since he admitted doing the crime. If they felt that way, it is not inconsistent at the sentencing stage to not want to impose the death penalty on someone they view as clinically but not legally insane.

Believe in colorado, not guilty by reason of insanity means that the person at the time of the crime could not distinguish between right and wrong. I don't really see how you can make the argument that he didn't know seeing as he planned out his attack, and the intended deaths of even more with the bombs of his apartment.
Why would planning indicate he knew right from wrong? It's on record he was schizophrenic but people think he made a decision while having a sound mind to just start shooting in a movie theater. I think the heinous nature of the crime just trumps everything for most people. People like Tsarnaev deserve death.

If they were following the law, and the jury instructions they may have had no choice. They could have thought he was completely nuts but if his actions did not meet the legal definition of insanity for Colorado, then they would still have convict him, since he admitted doing the crime. If they felt that way, it is not inconsistent at the sentencing stage to not want to impose the death penalty on someone they view as clinically but not legally insane.
What are the jury instructions when deciding on the death penalty?

I don't know for Colorado.

Fennis said:
squistion said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Willie Neslon said:
https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/File/Court_Probation/Supreme_Court/Committees/Criminal_Jury_Instructions/CHAPTER_ISanity.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread