FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. — A sergeant accused of killing a fellow serviceman by throwing grenades into tents at a military command center in Kuwait told his mother he feared persecution because he is a Muslim and reportedly had recently been reprimanded for insubordination.
Sgt. Asan Akbar of the 101st Airborne Division's 326th Engineer Battalion was in custody, said George Heath, a civilian spokesman at Fort Campbell. Heath said Akbar had not been charged with a crime but was the only person being questioned in the attack that also wounded 15 other soldiers Sunday, three seriously.
Jim Lacey, a correspondent for Time magazine, said in a television news broadcast that military criminal investigators said Akbar was recently reprimanded for insubordination and was told he would not join his unit's push into Iraq.
Heath also said Akbar had been having "an attitude problem."
The motive in the attack "most likely was resentment," said Max Blumenfeld, another U.S. Army spokesman.
The Army identified the dead soldier as Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27, of Easton, Pa. Heath said Seifert was married. A spokesman for Seifert's mother and father -- Thomas and Helen Seifert, also of Easton -- said the family would not immediately speak with reporters.