What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should there be a penalty if a gun is stolen from an unlocked car? (1 Viewer)

you really believe "enter on to" and "enter in to" are significantly different enough that this is a hill you are deciding to die on?
Yes, I think there is a distinct difference.  I understand that both are theft, but  there is the additional B/E aspect of going into a car or a house vs simply taking something from someone's yard.
What kind of difference?  Both B/E and trespassing are generally misdemeanors though there are instances where either could be a felony as well.  Is it merely because in one case the gun is "in" something?  Meaning, if the gun was "in a duffle bag" on the yard, they would then be similar because the person had to go "in" something to get it?

As like anyone else, I already have thoughts and experiences on the topic then I read the replies in the conversation focused on gun owner punishment and it forms an impression.  I'm sorry I know you're hung up on this but I can't help further.  Anything beyond this is me trying to justify my impression to you and that was not the point of the post.  The only point was to show another person also felt like we're putting the onus on the gun owner vs the thief as well. 
Cool, man.  Keep being you.

Probably?
That word has nothing to do with my point.  Change it to yes.  Still doesn't change my point.

The owner has no responsibility in the actions of someone that breaks several laws.  Only the thief is responsible for their actions.  The gun was stolen (not the gun owner's fault or responsibility) and then used for a crime (again not the gun owner's fault or responsibility). 

That word has nothing to do with my point.  Change it to yes.  Still doesn't change my point.

The owner has no responsibility in the actions of someone that breaks several laws.  Only the thief is responsible for their actions.  The gun was stolen (not the gun owner's fault or responsibility) and then used for a crime (again not the gun owner's fault or responsibility). 
Please keep your car door locked.

Please keep your car door locked.
Of course.  I am not debating that should be done.  It still doesn't make the owner responsible for someone getting into the car and stealing the gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you are caught you get in trouble. We have established certain rules in place to protect everyone. Gun ownership probably needs to be held to at least the same standard as owning an Accord.
You absolutely do NOT need to register your car to own or drive it. 

You must register it to drive it on public roadways.

Much like you generally must take a class and be licensed to carry a firearm in public. :)

Users who are viewing this thread