What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Simone Biles Withdraws From Competition - Thoughts? (2 Viewers)

Do You Feel More Criticism Or Praise Or Neither For Withdrawing From Olympics?

• Much more Praise than Criticism

Votes: 42 25.3%
  • A little more Praise than Criticism

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Neither Criticism nor Praise

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • A little more Criticism than Praise

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • Much more Criticism than Praise

Votes: 16 9.6%

• Total voters
I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, but I think I second flapgreen about it, and that typing even just this and editing my original thoughts has sort of been a too-long exercise for the subject matter. The entirety of this is overblown, IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. Doing the right thing, even if it will open you up to criticism, is praiseworthy. There are a lot of misunderstandings around mental health — as evidenced by this thread — so admitting to it takes courage. 

Biles is a hero for what she’s already accomplished in the sport. Dropping out of the Olympics isn’t itself heroic, but IMO the way she’s handled the past couple days has been admirable
This is a perfect summation of where I’m at on this. Thanks for putting it so well. 

I did want to second Ramsay Hunt Experience's use of the words "head space," as that was the exact wording I was going to use, i.e., if Simone wasn't in the proper head space to perform dazzling acts of gravity defiance and acceptance, then perhaps it's not really us to judge whether or not what she did is problematic or not. It's sort of up to her. My conclusion to that is still flapgreen's, that's just how I got there. 

I've stayed out of this one but have appreciated reading the thoughtful responses in this thread (note that I didn't say "all responses").  But the bolded shall not stand.  He looks much better with the beard.

Thanks to those who have posted thoughtful responses here, whatever your viewpoint might be.  It's helped me evolve my thinking on this, when at first I had some ambivalence.
This Olympics is the first time I've found Phelps endearing.  He has some really interesting and thoughtful things to say about elite competition, mental health, and the technical side of world-class level swimming (the latter of which I know absolutely nothing about beyond "get to the other end of the pool before the others do").  I've enjoyed hearing him speak at length and comfort in his areas of expertise.  

And he looks great with the beard.  

My god, you all are softer than charmin... She quit on her team mid-competition out of greed and selfishness, she cost another girl who who’ll never be rich and famous a team spot, and also cost the rest of the team who make pennies compared to biles gold - something everyone on the team other than spoiled, greedy biles immensely cares about. 

FACTS.

Then again, anybody remember when Martina Hingis was repeatedly jeered by the French crowd during the '99 or so French Open when she started bouncing the ball on the ground before her serve? 

It seems like not just the U.S., but also the world, has come a long way in its reception to its top athletes sort of melting down in individual sports. 

Anyone whoever played tennis or an individual sports knows the difference between that and being able to sort of "hide" in a team one. Totally different beasts. 

Saw this post on social media and thought it did a good job covering points made in this thread by both @fatguyinalittlecoat and @Ramsay Hunt Experience.

This realization I had about Simone Biles is gonna make some people mad, but oh well.
Yesterday I was excited to show my daughters Kerri Strug's famous one-leg vault. It was a defining Olympic moment that I watched live as a kid, and my girls watched raptly as Strug fell, and then limped back to leap again.

But for some reason I wasn't as inspired watching it this time. In fact, I felt a little sick. Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft, but all I could see was how Kerri Strug looked at her coach,  Bela Karolyi, with pleading, terrified eyes, while he shouted back "You can do it!" over and over again.

My daughters didn't cheer when Strug landed her second vault. Instead they frowned in concern as she collapsed in agony and frantic tears.

"Why did she jump again if she was hurt?" one of my girls asked. I made some inane reply about the heart of a champion or Olympic spirit, but in the back of my mind a thought was festering: 

*She shouldn't have jumped again*

The more the thought echoed, the stronger my realization became. Coach Karolyi should have gotten his visibly injured athlete medical help immediately! Now that I have two young daughters in gymnastics, I expect their safety to be the coach's number one priority. Instead, Bela Karolyi told Strug to vault again. And he got what he wanted; a gold medal that was more important to him than his athlete's health. 

I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

"I can't feel my leg," Strug told Karolyi.

"We got to go one more time," Karolyi said. "Shake it out."

"Do I have to do this again?" Strug asked. 

"Can you, can you?" Karolyi wanted to know.

"I don't know yet," said Strug. "I will do it. I will, I will."

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.

Today Simone Biles--the greatest gymnast of all time--chose to step back from the competition, citing concerns for mental and physical health. I've already seen comments and posts about how Biles "failed her country", "quit on us", or "can't be the greatest if she can't handle the pressure." Those statements are no different than Coach Karolyi telling an injured teen with wide, frightened eyes: "We got to go one more time. Shake it out." 

The subtext here is: "Our gold medal is more important than your well-being."

Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.

Here's the message I hope we can send to Simone Biles: You are an outstanding athlete, a true role model, and a powerful woman. Nothing will change that. Please don't sacrifice your emotional or physical well-being for our entertainment or national pride. We are proud of you for being brave enough to compete, and proud of you for having the wisdom to know when to step back. Your choice makes you an even better example to our daughters than you were before. WE'RE STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!

Yeah, this is a fantastic post - thanks for sharing it in the thread.  Agree 100% here.   0 clue how anybody could question her grit, mental toughness, or dedication to the sport after all she's been through.  

This Olympics is the first time I've found Phelps endearing.  He's sad some really interesting and thoughtful things to say about elite competition, mental health, and the technical side of world-class level swimming (the latter of which I know absolutely nothing about beyond "get to the other end of the pool before the others do").  I've enjoyed hearing him speak at length and comfort in his areas of expertise.  

And he looks great with the beard.  

Agree completely on Phelps.  I've enjoyed his swimming performances in the past, of course, but never really enjoyed him as a person.  He's been fantastic in his commentary not just on this but throughout the Games so far.   I don't know if he's grown or I have, or maybe a bit of both.

I'm glad she recognized her limitations and did what she felt was the best thing for her considering the circumstances. But heroic? Not in the slightest.

Agree completely on Phelps.  I've enjoyed his swimming performances in the past, of course, but never really enjoyed him as a person.  He's been fantastic in his commentary not just on this but throughout the Games so far.   I don't know if he's grown or I have, or maybe a bit of both.
I’ve been a fan for a while. Attended a Texas Children’s Hospital fundraiser in 2018 called “An Evening with a Legend” and he was the legend at that year’s event. He sat down for a 40 minute interview with Andrea Kremer and he was interesting, thoughtful, and endearing. Much like he is as a commentator for this Olympics. 

Still overshadowed by the year that Shaq was the legend and my wife and I got to sit at his table!

I don't think her doing this was particularly heroic, but I don't fault her for dropping out.  Given the nature of the events she does, if your head is not right, you could injure yourself seriously and perhaps permanently.  The timing of it sucks for her teammates, but it seems like she has handled pretty well about it since.  I voted "Neither criticism nor praise." 

I'm glad she recognized her limitations and did what she felt was the best thing for her considering the circumstances. But heroic? Not in the slightest.
I’m sure there are some people out there using that word, but I haven’t personally heard it and I don’t think anyone in this thread has suggested that her pulling out was “heroic.”  I do like the word “praiseworthy” that has been used. 

I’ve been a fan for a while. Attended a Texas Children’s Hospital fundraiser in 2018 called “An Evening with a Legend” and he was the legend at that year’s event. He sat down for a 40 minute interview with Andrea Kremer and he was interesting, thoughtful, and endearing. Much like he is as a commentator for this Olympics. 

Still overshadowed by the year that Shaq was the legend and my wife and I got to sit at his table!

Phelps also became part of ASU’s Curtain of Distraction so he gets a lot of points for that.

I’m sure there are some people out there using that word, but I haven’t personally heard it and I don’t think anyone in this thread has suggested that her pulling out was “heroic.”  I do like the word “praiseworthy” that has been used. 
I can go for that. 

She has. Multiple times. It’s not in dispute. 

Then be humble and just keeping on doing your thing. I love athletes that are cocky, but once you go down that path you better back it up.

If she never acknowledged the goat status and she backed out fine. However, if you're the goat...you can't go down without a fight.

Probably already been typed, but "Are you 'hurt' or are you 'injured'"?  If hurt, push through it.  If injured, step aside.  In this case, she seems injured enough she could have done significant/permanent damage by pushing through.  She did the right thing.  Pragmatic, imo.

Then be humble and just keeping on doing your thing. I love athletes that are cocky, but once you go down that path you better back it up.

If she never acknowledged the goat status and she backed out fine. However, if you're the goat...you can't go down without a fight.
I’ve never heard that thrown around as much as some in here are, I don’t think she self proclaimed it. Her tweet makes it sound like she’s in a better place now so I’m happy for her but agree with you re 🐐

She makes a very telling statement in a post under the vid:

"In our sport, we essentially dive into a pool w/ no water. When you lose your ability to find the ground—which appears to be part of @Simone_Biles' decision—-the consequences can be catastrophic."

That seems very meaningful.  I can understand Simone fighting hard to continue on and compete.  But if she realized that she lost that ability on her first vault ...then that's it.  Time to bravely step away.  

eta: Coincidentally, this just popped up on CNN - Simone talking about the "twisties."

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
YOU. WILL. PRAISE. HER. COURAGE. DO. IT. NOW.

That seems to be the message I'm getting from everyone lauding her as a "hero" in this thread. 

YOU. WILL. PRAISE. THIS. DECISION. 

Pop Smoke never had a diva moment. Pop Smoke is the hero we need for these times. Woo! Skrrt! 

The more I think about this, the more there are people whose entertainment game is talking about murder and getting shot, and they seem to follow through. Sorry that Simone isn't in the right "head space" to perform. I almost seriously think being appropriately mentally tough is literally trapping and putting your life on the line every day voluntarily, for entertainment and for money. That's some frontierism. 

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? 

She makes a very telling statement in a post under the vid:

"In our sport, we essentially dive into a pool w/ no water. When you lose your ability to find the ground—which appears to be part of @Simone_Biles' decision—-the consequences can be catastrophic."

That seems very meaningful.  I can understand Simone fighting hard to continue on and compete.  But if she realized that she lost that ability on her first vault ...then that's it.  Time to bravely step away.  

eta: Coincidentally, this just popped up on CNN - Simone talking about the "twisties."

She looked (by her standards) terrible during team qualifications on Sunday. Fell out of the box (sorry if I got the terminology wrong) in one of her tumbling passes, couple other noteworthy miscues. She also balked during vault warmups and did a 1-1/2 instead of the planned 2-1/2. This was kind of building up for awhile.

Also, a 24 year old female Olympic gymnast is just about the equivalent of a 43 year old QB winning the Super Bowl. This year at the US Olympic Trials one of the girls (Suni) edged her out slightly on Day Two of the All-Around. Simone still won easily, but that was the first time since 2013 somebody has beat even a single day score.

Shes the GoaT and her legacy is secure.

She has been very vague about  "the couple of things". I don't think Nassar has left the building yet. 

The more I think about this, the more there are people whose entertainment game is talking about murder and getting shot, and they seem to follow through. Sorry that Simone isn't in the right "head space" to perform. I almost seriously think being appropriately mentally tough is literally trapping and putting your life on the line every day voluntarily, for entertainment and for money. That's some frontierism. 

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? 

I'm fine. She can do what she wants.

However, I'm not "praising" her for the decision. If you're going to slap a GOAT on your uniform, then being mentally tough comes with being the GOAT. This Olympics she did not live up to her self hype. She didn't even finish.

I'm fine. She can do what she wants.

However, I'm not "praising" her for the decision. If you're going to slap a GOAT on your uniform, then being mentally tough comes with being the GOAT. This Olympics she did not live up to her self hype. She didn't even finish.
So am I. I'm really just kidding. I can't believe what has become of entertainment these days; that's my main point. Seems like you have to want to die to be taken seriously. My friends had a performance art troupe that they called the Future Suicide Heroes, whereby the claim was that in order for art to be taken seriously in the modern world, one had no recourse to God or other objective measures, one had to die for it. 

Good to see some people still turning away from that notion of death for art or entertainment. But don't claim abstract toughness in the face of people that do actually die over money and art. Know what I'm sayin'? 

Texas Deputy Attorney General Aaron Reitz was a touch critical of Texas native Simone Biles. He tweeted a photo of Kerri Strug from the ‘96 Olympics along with this message: “Contrast this with our selfish, childish national embarrassment, Simone Biles.”

Reitz has since apologized. 

Texas Deputy Attorney General Aaron Reitz was a touch critical of Texas native Simone Biles. He tweeted a photo of Kerri Strug from the ‘96 Olympics along with this message: “Contrast this with our selfish, childish national embarrassment, Simone Biles.”

Reitz has since apologized. 
Texas Rep Dan Crenshaw (I’m a fan even though we disagree on a lot) takes a different approach with this statement:

Simone Biles has been making America and Houston proud for YEARS.

She has been the woman in the arena, a place that internet trolls know nothing about. 

We can be disappointed in her decision, but until you’re the one stepping up to win gold, maybe sit this one out.

(I will eventually bring this back to Simone Biles.)

I've been around a lot of young 99th percentile people in a wide range of endeavors: sport, art, music, academics, what have you... if you're going to develop that 99th percentile talent to its maximum, a lot of other stuff won't get developed.  It takes too many hours to become elite and keep up with the others in your 99th percentile.  And in sports, individual sports in particular, the commitment at that level is so complete it dominates not just the athlete's life, but several family members as well.  You usually have to move to particular region or city to train with the right coach or live in the right climate.  You're often homeschooled so there's extra practice hours in the day and it's easier to travel to competitions.  So you have this childhood where you're not asked to be a dynamic personality, and you're surrounded by people committed to your wants and needs and aren't asked to reciprocate.  So you have this deep, deep skill and understanding in your area of expertise, but haven't developed much outside it.  In short, these young 99th percentiles I was around were often #######s.  And not necessarily their own fault - maybe they were never taught how not to be an #######, or maybe their coaches wanted to intensify the ####### part of the athlete's personality because they thought it would give them an edge.

When success and fame hits, there's a reckoning with the ####### side of you.  For most, you've got about 18-24 months once you hit it big to tame the ####### within or it's going to set and be a core part of you the rest of the way.  If it happens when you're young and haven't been given the tools to come with us, it's harder to tame.  

Phelps beat the odds twice.  He was a generational talent who more than delivered on his promise, and then he tamed his inner ####### and has become this thoughtful man who wants others to learn not just from his successes, but also his weaknesses and setbacks.  I find that admirable.

I promised I would bring this back to Simone Biles.  Gymnastics isn't a team sport.  It's barely an individual sport.  It's almost a solitary endeavor.  There isn't much camaraderie.  There's other athletes at your gym, but at meets you're competing against them, not with them.  And there's soooooo little room at the top, it's almost impossible to celebrate a peer's success, because at the elite level it's a zero-sum game.

These teammates Biles supposedly let down at Tokyo?  They are her opponents and adversaries most of the year.  Even at "team" events like the Olympics and Worlds, the USA individuals are still competing against each other because there are only so many slots in individual events for each nation.  In every apparatus, someone with a qualifying score gets left out because too many ahead of you are from your country.  And if you want an individual gold medal, you've gotta beat your "teammates" to get it. 

So it's hard enough as it is designed.  And Biles had to play a game rigged against her.  

All these other all-time greats from other sports thrown around in comparisons here... how many of them had to beat their own teammates to achieve their goals?  How many of them had coaches who were low-level tacticians and theorists, openly saying they didn't have to plan anything because they had an all-time great?  How many of them were told by the sport's governing body that your skills weren't going to count what they are worth because that would be unfair to your opponents?  How many of them were sexually assaulted by the team doctor repeatedly while their team management covered it up?

Simone Biles did.  She was told she had to play a rigged game, she beat it, and tried to change it.  
When the elite gyms weren't safe for gymnasts, Biles's family opened one of their own, with a lot of open space and transparency to make it a safe space for young athletes and coaches who wanted to train athletes in a better way.  When Biles heard Jordan Chiles's gym wasn't safe, Biles recruited Chiles to move to Texas and train at her gym.  When Larry Nassar was finally brought to justice, Biles stayed in the sport and on the national team, partially to go for a second Olympics, but also to force some accountability for Nassar's enablers.

So, I guess I'm having difficulty understanding what Biles's detractors think she owes us.  Who did she quit on?  The athletes she was competing against?  The team officials that knew she was being sexually assaulted and did nothing?  The sport that openly conspired against her and told her she wasn't going to get the scores she earned?  

Simone Biles is the GOAT in her sport, and second place is so far behind none of her detractors can produce a name who should replace Biles at the top if she isn't the one.  She's one of the greatest in any sport.  She's better at gymnastics than billions of people have ever been at anything.  And she accomplished all of this by age 24.  

I'm pretty comfortable calling Biles a hero.  

Notice I said "what do you remember him more for?  Everyone is aware of Jordan's gambling, Sanders quitting, etc., but this is not what they are generally remembered for at all.  The same will go with Simone Biles.  She has already won so much more then the rest that she is the GOAT.

You have people that do more natorious things and get remembered the most for that (Lance Armstrong), but Biles will always be remembered first as the GOAT.
Well that's just silly.   I mean if THAT was your point sure. You win. Jeez.

Huge Barry fan. I wouldn't say he screwed the Lions, rather the other way around. The franchise is terrible. And even if he retired before the draft, they still would have found a way to screw it up. Do they trade up to draft Ricky or Edge? Almost certainly not. They also passed on Culpepper, McAlister, and Kearse. There were 13 future Pro Bowlers and 2 Hall of Famers in the first round and I guarantee the Lions front office would have found a way to draft none of them. They had two first round picks in '99 and botched both of them, along with every other pick in that draft. 
He quit on the team day before training camp, with no notice.  Not even giving them a chance to replace him.  I agree the Lions are a horrible franchise, no one is arguing that.  But that was a bush move.  There isnt much agreement with you that his quitting like that screwed himself more than the Lions.

Yes, I remember that. And I remember there were people at the time with the same kind of recency bias we're seeing in this thread saying that it should keep Sanders out of the Hall of Fame (it didn't, and was at most a minor footnote when he was inducted). I'm a lifelong Lions fan and was plenty mad about it at the time, but within a few years I was able to get some perspective on the situation and realized he had spent a decade sacrificing his body for a dysfunctional organization that was never going to build a winner around him. I still think he handled the timing badly, but the take that it would end up defining his career has definitely not aged well.
It's not gonna define his career and Biles quitting on her team here wont define her either.  I'm not sure where you guys are getting that from.  You can't take away her prior performances.  She was amazing.   Just not in this case.   But does that remove what shes done? No.  However I think she might want to consider retiring from the team.  If she can't handle the pressure then she really will become a liability. 

The timing was unfortunate but she did the right thing by pulling out.   

I'm not sure I would call it heroic but it took guts to admit that she was not mentally well enough to compete and I wish her the best.

That's what everybody is saying for sure. Is this the straw man that stirs the hallucinatory drinks? 

Think a lot of people are just saying she's not a hero for doing this.
And I think the bolded is a bit of a straw man as well. I’m sure there are examples out there, but the vast majority of people who are supporting Biles’ decision aren’t saying that her stepping down is “heroic.”  Just look at this thread - multiple posts saying that removing herself from the competition wasn’t “heroic”, but not a single post that I recall saying that it was, in fact, heroic.

Sigh. My worry too. That's where some people would rather take it I guess. 
Best quote I've seen on this:

Gonna be a lot of hot takes today on Simone Biles. A LOT. Here's my advice:

Scroll past the ones written by out of shape, middle aged, Little League trophy holding keyboard warriors.

Pay close attention to the ones written by Olympic champions, Olympic champion coaches, mental health professionals, and people who actually battle mental health challenges every single day.

P.S. Simone Biles owes not a single one of us a single thing. Nothing. This is not a Gladiator remake. We are not living in a real life Hunger Games. Check your misplaced and unhealthy expectations and move along.

Reality is, she will go down in history as one of the best ever.  And I ONLY phrase it that way because we can't predict the future, someone better MIGHT come along at some point.  As of now, no one's done it better despite the circumstances.  

but not a single post that I recall saying that it was, in fact, heroic.

I'm pretty comfortable calling Biles a hero.  
That was just on this page, too. Right there. In discernible print. Perhaps you missed it because of the five paragraph soliloquy to "greatness" and heroism that HarryKane09 wrote, but it was right there in print. 

Best quote I've seen on this:
Dumbest quote. Another straw man erected to knock down. Can we be spared the sanctimony of the offended by that which doesn't exist? Notice how he predicts that there will be a lot of hot takes, but doesn't produce one. These guys are, for the most part, all tilting at windmills that don't exist. I don't hear many people begrudging her either her greatness or her decision, really, just saying at most that it maybe knocks her down a bit, which is then met with 

Y U THINK SHE STINKS??!!!! 

which isn't what 90 percent of the people saying this are saying at all.

Dumbest quote. Another straw man erected to knock down. Can we be spared the sanctimony of the offended by that which doesn't exist? Notice how he predicts that there will be a lot of hot takes, but doesn't produce one. These guys are, for the most part, all tilting at windmills that don't exist. I don't hear many people begrudging her either her greatness or her decision, really, just saying at most that it knocks her down a bit, which is then met with 

Y U THINK SHE STINKS??!!!! 

which isn't what 90 percent of the people saying this are saying at all.
No idea if it was a he or a she that made that comment but typically a prediction is a guess about something in the future.  In the moment, how would this person produce something from the future?  The irony of course, is posting in a thread on the internet which is pretty much exactly what was predicting asking for proof of what was being predicted.  Doesn't get much better than that.

Like I said before.  If you disagree with that, fine.  If you agree then I have no idea what you're arguing with me over.  

Reality is, she will go down in history as one of the best ever.  And I ONLY phrase it that way because we can't predict the future, someone better MIGHT come along at some point.  As of now, no one's done it better despite the circumstances.  

I don't think it's not understanding. I think it's discussing the two. Most people with sports are way more familiar with physical issues. And how physical issues compare and are different from mental issues is something I think that's worth talking about. 
This is the crux of it from your POV so I'll make a connection to the sport of Tennis. The difference between the No 1 ranked player in the World and say the 150th ranked player is not the difference in speed between 1st serves, it's not the angles or the depth of the shots that's the difference, it's the mental toughness and John McEnroe is a prime example and he talks about it on the broadcasts when he is in the booth. The ability for Djokovic to shake off a 1st set meltdown in Wimbledon, throw away a 5-2 lead and then go on to hammer his opponent in 3 straight sets to win this summer was all about his mental toughness. And I can say the same for Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal where the mental toughness is at a level that is hard to grasp or understand. 

But I digress and still think that Simone is in a situation where she has already proven herself to be a champion time and time again. I would caution folks to not be too critical of someone when you haven't truly walked in their shoes. 

-I'll also add that I haven't watched a single second of the Olympics unless it was on when I was having a beer at one of the sports bars. I think the Tokyo Olympics are ridiculous in what they are trying to do and then nobody in the stands it's uncomfortable to watch and I would just as soon forget it so I kind of don't care as much that Simone had a meltdown or a hiccup at these games because most folks don't care and are not watching. 

No idea if it was a he or a she that made that comment but typically a prediction is a guess about something in the future.  In the moment, how would this person produce something from the future?  The irony of course, is posting in a thread on the internet which is pretty much exactly what was predicting asking for proof of what was being predicted.  
And if it's a bad prediction, like it was, then ignore the argument that follows, I say, and I also say that it was an unsound premise and conclusion, which makes it a pretty dumb comment. So it's stupid. 

As for the second point you're trying so desperately to make about irony? This thread has had very little in the way of hot takes and the dissenters are more like "Meh. Probably knocks her down a peg," to which the reply has been

Y U HAVE SO MANY HOT TAKES??!!!

That's been about ninety percent of the thread that wasn't calling her the GOAT or a hero or something twisted as ####-all like that. 

I don't even know why I'm defending a position I don't necessarily agree with. It just seems like those who are calling her heroic and great and all that are looking for reasons to mouthbreathe all by themselves with really no provocation but for maybe one or two posters, if that. 

Y U NO LIKE MOUTHBREATHING, MOUTHBREATHER? 

That was just on this page, too. Right there. In discernible print. Perhaps you missed it because of the five paragraph soliloquy to "greatness" and heroism that HarryKane09 wrote, but it was right there in print. 
he didn’t call her a hero for dropping out of the Olympics. He called her a hero for all of the other things discussed at length in his post.

Users who are viewing this thread