What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SJax voiding contract (1 Viewer)

JOBOOZOSO

Footballguy
Full articlehttp://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/jackson-to-void-final-year-of-contract/article_2cec1b92-7599-54c2-8b32-1411389ae2ec.htmlFantasy owners (especially Dynasty folks) praying for him to sign with Packers

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva St. Louis Post-Dispatch considers the #Falcons "one of the most likely suitors" for free agent Steven Jackson

Richardson's value just went up. Some still like Pead, but I can't say that I liked what I saw in him. No vision whatsoever and takes everything to the outside.

Sad day for Rams fans. S-Jax was a warrior in his time with the Rams. Of course, his lack of postseason success just makes you wonder about the impact of the modern running back. S-Jax was consistently good and yet, his teams stunk around him and he couldn't raise them above being perennial threats for the team to be bad enough for the 1st or 2nd overall pick. Hope he finds postseason success elsewhere (Would love to see him in a Pack uniform since I was a Packer Backer until the Rams showed up in STL in 1995).As far as the Rams go, my guess is Fisher rolls with a Pead/Richardson tandem. But I would not be shocked in the least bit if they take a gamble on Lattimore if he's there in the 3rd. With Pead/Richardson, he won't be needed right away, but in a year, he could be asked to carry the torch.

Full articlehttp://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/jackson-to-void-final-year-of-contract/article_2cec1b92-7599-54c2-8b32-1411389ae2ec.htmlFantasy owners (especially Dynasty folks) praying for him to sign with Packers
Not going to happen unless he comes pretty cheap.30 year old RB, not exactly what TT likes unless the price is low.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva St. Louis Post-Dispatch considers the #Falcons "one of the most likely suitors" for free agent Steven Jackson
That's the first team that popped into my head when I heard the news this morning. That would be a great fit I think.

That's the first team that popped into my head when I heard the news this morning. That would be a great fit I think.
Wonder if sjax coming to town would encourage gonzo to stick around another year for another try at a ring.

Wonder if sjax coming to town would encourage gonzo to stick around another year for another try at a ring.
Sign SJax, get gonzo to come back, draft Lattimore in the 3rd round.

There has been a lot of rumors regarding Moreno and Willis possibly being released. For all the talk of Atlanta, I believe that he is most likely to be signed by Denver.

Agree that it's probably still more likely he ends up back in STL, but I'd love to see him in a power offense with a real chance to go far in the playoffs.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

St. Louis Post-Dispatch considers the #Falcons "one of the most likely suitors" for free agent Steven Jackson
Could make sense, but Jackson has a lot more tread on the tires than Turner (2800 touches versus 1700), and the team seems to be looking to get younger at the position.Of course, it all comes down to the price tag, and despite the volume, S-Jax does look like he's got more left in the tank than Turner does. A Jackson/Rodgers combo would actually be pretty interesting where Jackson could lower his workload.

Richardson's value just went up. Some still like Pead, but I can't say that I liked what I saw in him. No vision whatsoever and takes everything to the outside.
I'm a Richardson owner in one league - but there's still a shot that the Rams draft a bigger back to replace Jackson - or even that Jackson stays.I do like Richardson a lot better than Pead as well though - Richardson looks like he could be a productive 3 down back despite his "small" stature.

Everyone seems to think he voided his contract to get more money. I think he voided it to go to a contender and try to win a Super Bowl. I could see Atlanta, GB or even New England...

Yahoo's Jason Cole says that "based on what was happening" at the Combine, free agent Steven Jackson's "likely landing spot" is Atlanta.It's the same vibe Rams beat writer Jim Thomas is getting. The Falcons see Jacquizz Rodgers as a mere change-of-pace option, evidenced by the 222 carries they gave washed-up Michael Turner last season. Although Jackson has plenty of wear on his tires, he's averaged 4.23 yards per carry over the last two seasons behind a horrendous Rams offensive line. S-Jax has also averaged 8.17 yards per reception over that span, staving off a decline by staying in tremendous physical condition. He'd be an ideal addition for the Falcons' up-tempo offense.Source: Jason Cole on Twitter Feb 26 - 10:06 AM

Yahoo's Jason Cole says that "based on what was happening" at the Combine, free agent Steven Jackson's "likely landing spot" is Atlanta.It's the same vibe Rams beat writer Jim Thomas is getting. The Falcons see Jacquizz Rodgers as a mere change-of-pace option, evidenced by the 222 carries they gave washed-up Michael Turner last season. Although Jackson has plenty of wear on his tires, he's averaged 4.23 yards per carry over the last two seasons behind a horrendous Rams offensive line. S-Jax has also averaged 8.17 yards per reception over that span, staving off a decline by staying in tremendous physical condition. He'd be an ideal addition for the Falcons' up-tempo offense.Source: Jason Cole on Twitter Feb 26 - 10:06 AM
As a SJax owner in my keeper league, I would welcome this wholeheartedly.

What would be his value in a PPR dynasty league right now in terms of picks or equivalent player?

What would be his value in a PPR dynasty league right now in terms of picks or equivalent player?
If he goes to ATL, I'd trade a mid/late 2013 1st for him depending on the rest of my team. I do own him in one of my PPR leagues and have no plans to trade him away or thoughts on what it would take. He's one of those guys that is worth more to me as a weekly #3/Flex player than a rookie pick or two, especially since I consider this team a strong playoff contender again.

He'd be a great fit in ATL. But they will only get a year or two out of him. They need a young RB to learn the ropes and learn from S Jax and Rodgers. This year seems to have a number of good young backs to choose from.

Some beat writers are throwing out best case scenarios hoping something sticks, but a lot of people seem to think he is hoping to get more money elsewhere. If that's the case, good luck Sjax... nobody is going to pay that kind of money for a back his age with that amount of wear and tear/injuries/etc. STL still wants him, and he has said he'd be open to the idea of returning, so my money is on him being back in STL. I'm selling moderately high everywhere I own him, because everyone will be hoping for a best case scenario, and if it doesn't happen his production isn't likely to be difference making/worth anything at all in a trade.

I see SJax going to a contender and doing for them what Dillon did for the Pats in 2004...he'll be going into a winning environment and have an extra jump in his step that first year...he has a chance to be a real difference-maker next year should he end up with a team like Atlanta, Denver or Green Bay...

I'd love to see Steven go somewhere he can win some more games. Watching him play for the Rams has been great, but there's plenty of teams that should be lining up to sign him.

Some other teams nobody is discussing: Colts, Pittsburgh, Cinci. Second tier contenders, but all make sense as well.

Still feel the Rams value him more than other teams, and that he'll return to St. Louis on a new contract, but Atlanta would be a great fit.

'Abrantes said:
Still feel the Rams value him more than other teams, and that he'll return to St. Louis on a new contract, but Atlanta would be a great fit.
I agree the Rams value him more, but he wants to win. I think he'll give a bigger discount to a contender and take performance clauses than take an extra couple mill from the Rams. He knows the Rams are two years from seriously contending. They might squeak into the playoffs this year, but they aren't going to the NFC Championship game or anything. I think the hometown discount in this situation is the town with the best chance to win...

What do you think he signs for (either back with the Rams or another team)?Broncos3 year $16 million ($8 million guaranteed)

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think he signs for (either back with the Rams or another team)?Broncos3 year $16 million ($8 million guaranteed)
lol wut? He isn't getting near that much money. That's more than their first round pick will make the next three years.

I like Richardson and I still have him on a couple teams, but I don't know that he's cut out for full time duty. Only weighs 192 and doesn't have tremendous speed. I think he will always be a committee guy. I would look for the Rams to bring in 215+ pound back to complement what they already have. Could be Jackson. Could be Mendenhall. Could be a rookie or an unexpected veteran. There are plenty of people who fit what they need.

Wasn't Jackson set to earn $7M this year? Was he going to be cut either way? Otherwise, how does he possibly earn >$7M this year somewhere else?

I like Richardson and I still have him on a couple teams, but I don't know that he's cut out for full time duty. Only weighs 192 and doesn't have tremendous speed. I think he will always be a committee guy. I would look for the Rams to bring in 215+ pound back to complement what they already have. Could be Jackson. Could be Mendenhall. Could be a rookie or an unexpected veteran. There are plenty of people who fit what they need.
Deep draft and they have picks, expect a day two pick.

Deep draft and they have picks, expect a day two pick.
I'll go day 3 since I think there will be some decent backs falling to round 4 and even later. Quite a few other areas that need attention too. I also think Fisher will be giving Pead every chance for the job and will be stubborn about it.Like EFB stated, Richardson weight does concern me a little. Because he's not overly fast, I think he could add some strength weight and still perform like what we saw last year. He has the frame to do it.

Complete turn around from what you were saying about this guy less than a year ago.

Complete turn around from what you were saying about this guy less than a year ago.
Sometimes you have to reassess a situation. Better than saying pead has no vision and bounces everything outside over, and over, and over

Wasn't Jackson set to earn $7M this year? Was he going to be cut either way? Otherwise, how does he possibly earn >$7M this year somewhere else?
Jackson was not going to get $7 million this year in base salary. But realistically, he could get that much in a new contract that prorates it over 2-3 years. Someone above thought it was crazy that he might get $8 million in a signing bonus. Over three years that's not all that much money. He makes the point that their 1st rounder won't make that much. That's the point of the new CBA. To pay more for proven vets than unproven rooks. $8 million over three years is only $2.66 million against the cap.

Jackson was not going to get $7 million this year in base salary. But realistically, he could get that much in a new contract that prorates it over 2-3 years. Someone above thought it was crazy that he might get $8 million in a signing bonus. Over three years that's not all that much money. He makes the point that their 1st rounder won't make that much. That's the point of the new CBA. To pay more for proven vets than unproven rooks. $8 million over three years is only $2.66 million against the cap.
He's not playing for 3 years, so if they cut him he'd have 5.4 million of dead money against the cap next year. Also, realistically a team needs to have a backup in place and assume that he won't make it through a season at his age. So Atlanta would still need another rb through fa or the draft. I think the Rams are most likely at this point.

He's not playing for 3 years, so if they cut him he'd have 5.4 million of dead money against the cap next year. Also, realistically a team needs to have a backup in place and assume that he won't make it through a season at his age. So Atlanta would still need another rb through fa or the draft. I think the Rams are most likely at this point.
Atlanta could get by with Rodgers, Snelling and/or a later round rookie for a few games if Jackson misses some time. If he was to miss significant time, they'd be in the same position most teams would be in if they lost their startin back, scrambling to find a replacement but not any worse off than most teams. Rodgers is adequate and Snelling has filled in before.

This trade just went down in one of my ppr leagues. Not sure if it helps gauge Jackson's value, but he was involvedSjaxDwayne AllenPettigrew2.8ForWittenLeshoure

No but he could play 2. 30 is not the brick wall anymore like it use to be. And despite the moronic arguments about mileage, it has been shown that the guys who have a lot of miles tend to last longer in their careers than lower mileage guys. Not sure why. So if he plays two years, the cap hit after the second year would be $2.66 million. That's not bad. If he plays two solid years, he'll be there for the third, although who knows what will happen at that point. Or they might go all incentive based and make it pay for play. Either way, I'd be willing to bet that SJax will get more than the $7 million he was due in base salary this year.ETA, forgot the June 1 rule. If SJax only plays 1 year of a 3 year deal, they can cut him after June 1 and have his signing bonus stretched out over two years.

So where do you think Sjax goes in startups right NOW??? And where do you think he would go if he winds up in ATL or Green Bay or something

Users who are viewing this thread