What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Smart Phones gives big edge to fantasy owners (1 Viewer)

Hoss_Cartwright

Footballguy
I had to get me one of them new (I know it's not new) fangled contraptions :popcorn: (htc evo 4G) and I must say, getting an email sent to your phone when someone drops a player and then being able to use your phone to add/drop players is a big advantage IMO. Not to mention not having to be at home in front of the computer when you hear injury news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't agree more. Those of us who are tech savvy definitely have an advantage thanks to smart phones! Waiting for a FBG app for Droid still!

i hated the FCFS in my main money league when i joined. they refused to change it.

fine. now i love it.

the combination of FCFS and twitter is fantasy owner gold.

Welcome to 2007
Yeah I know, but I never had a reason to get one since I'm a computer programmer and have internet access both at home and at work. I wasn't at that much of a disadvantage anyway.
:confused: I STILL don't have a smart phone for the same reason. I write web apps all day long and spend most of my evenings doing the same. Don't WANT the internet on my phone!
shark move is to get the internet on phone, work @ home.

Welcome to 2007
Yeah I know, but I never had a reason to get one since I'm a computer programmer and have internet access both at home and at work. I wasn't at that much of a disadvantage anyway.
:excited: I STILL don't have a smart phone for the same reason. I write web apps all day long and spend most of my evenings doing the same. Don't WANT the internet on my phone!
Real shark move is to not have to work at all

Welcome to 2007
:mellow: I STILL don't have a smart phone for the same reason. I write web apps all day long and spend most of my evenings doing the same. Don't WANT the internet on my phone!
Real shark move is to not have to work at all
Now that is a shark quote :shrug:

None of the leagues I commish allow a FCFS policy for this very reason...BB twice a week.
Same here. Waivers, twice a week. No FCFS. I've been in plenty of leagues with FCFS. It was before smart phones, but I had a ton of internet screen time before the internet was everywhere. Definitely felt weird having such an advantage. I'm always agin the forces of fairness and the whiny police making all sorts of changes in fantasy, for to level the field. Thus, I likely wouldn't be for removing FCFS from any league. But I certainly wouldn't be a proponent of introducing it in my league or in any other. An owner should be able to get by with giving his team an hour of attention a week. That said, I have no sympathy for the owner who couldn't get to a computer at all during an entire week. Find a proxy and give him your password, if you're going to be in the freaking Himalayas during football season.

Not to mention install the Twitter app, follow Schefter, Bloom, PFT, etc and you get instant news

i hated the FCFS in my main money league when i joined. they refused to change it.fine. now i love it.the combination of FCFS and twitter is fantasy owner gold.
agree. i don't even have a smart phone, but twitter has given me a big edge this year.we have a league where there is a waivers process for the first free agent grabs of the week (waivers runs EARLY wednesday morning) but after that it's FCFS.Although if someone drops a player, they are on waivers then for 24-48 hours.basically this is designed to so that everyone does have an equal shot after the sunday games "show us" something.but if something goes down on a random thur, fri, or sat... then the internet enabled phone/twitter guy wins.

None of the leagues I commish allow a FCFS policy for this very reason...BB twice a week.
The hell with that, just tell everyone to get a smart phone :lol: Tell your league mates to step into the new world and embrace it.
If I have to spend even more money to play fantasy football no thanks. FCFS is silly as a rule. :goodposting:
Why should I change the rules in my leagues when league members can either get a phone or live with their current situation? Kind of reminds me of how adults treat children these days, where they have to make it fair for everyone. Everyone must play and everyone must get a trophy. Well, life isn't fair for everyone and some are more equal than others.

The iPhone app I have for MFL (MFL 2010) is great for seeing live scores and setting lineups, but I can't add/drop/trade players with it. Anyone know of a decent app that will let me do this?

The iPhone app I have for MFL (MFL 2010) is great for seeing live scores and setting lineups, but I can't add/drop/trade players with it. Anyone know of a decent app that will let me do this?
Not sure about the IPhone, but I have no problem making add/drops with the htc evo 4G. Aren't the IPhones Internet friendly when you go directly to the MFL web site?

Welcome to 2007
:2cents: I STILL don't have a smart phone for the same reason. I write web apps all day long and spend most of my evenings doing the same. Don't WANT the internet on my phone!
:confused: Really? I'm a programmer, and I couldn't live w/o connectivity. Smartphone, iPad, Laptop, desktop at home with three monitors, etc. I'm not coding on my phone... I'm using it as a consumer (which of course helps better understand how people use stuff and build better products, but I digress).

I disagree. It's all part of the process and any advantage is fair game. Like I said, why should I make life fair for you? Get a phone.
Just because someone gets updates to their phone, doesn't mean he/she can read them or even act on them. Don't get me wrong, it's a super nice feature, but the person with the least busy schedule should get an advantage?

The hell with that, just tell everyone to get a smart phone :) Tell your league mates to step into the new world and embrace it.
If I have to spend even more money to play fantasy football no thanks. FCFS is silly as a rule. :help:
Why should I change the rules in my leagues when league members can either get a phone or live with their current situation? Kind of reminds me of how adults treat children these days, where they have to make it fair for everyone. Everyone must play and everyone must get a trophy. Well, life isn't fair for everyone and some are more equal than others.
I disagree, even as someone who has traditionally had an advantage as being more connected than other owners (and with FBG alerts, etc etc).THis is why most of my leagues are in the contract year/salary formats now, where we openly bid for players against a salary cap. There is strategy involved - how much do you want to commit to a player (we have penalties of course as well), as opposed to who happened to get there first. BB waivers have the same strategy element.

This is true even without smartphones, or if everyone is sitting at home in front of the computer.

I disagree. It's all part of the process and any advantage is fair game. Like I said, why should I make life fair for you? Get a phone.
Just because someone gets updates to their phone, doesn't mean he/she can read them or even act on them. Don't get me wrong, it's a super nice feature, but the person with the least busy schedule should get an advantage?
It's all fair in love and war. Liike I said, everyone shouldn't get a trophy. Play in leagues with others that have limited access?

It's all fair in love and war. Liike I said, everyone shouldn't get a trophy. Play in leagues with others that have limited access?
You're rewarding the wrong things.

Yep, that's what they said in schools back in the 90s and decided to quit keeping score in youth soccer. I guess you think that was a smart move too?

Yep, that's what they said in schools back in the 90s and decided to quit keeping score in youth soccer. I guess you think that was a smart move too?
:shrug: Yah, because that's comparable. People work dude, why have being in a meeting drive your fantasy football season.

completely stunned to see folks saying that FCFS is bad. WOW

I am in one league where there is no FCFS and it is the saddest thing ever...its like trade voting....not able to just run my team, have to wait, wait, wait.....DUMB

:scared: Yah, because that's comparable. People work dude, why have being in a meeting drive your fantasy football season.
While we're at it make sure everyone in the league has the same info on players so no one has an advantage. As the commish make sure you post any meaningful info about injuries, late minute scratches, etc. We want everyone to be on the same level playing field.

Make sure you don't save your login info on your phone. The ability to hack my opponents login from their phone info and make drops and trades from their roster have really helped my win % in my league, and made the playing field much more equal for me. :football:

Make sure you don't save your login info on your phone. The ability to hack my opponents login from their phone info and make drops and trades from their roster have really helped my win % in my league, and made the playing field much more equal for me. :football:
You GO girl :thumbup:

Hoss_Cartwright said:
corpcow said:
Hoss_Cartwright said:
hootie said:
Hoss_Cartwright said:
That was one of the worst analogies I've ever heard. I never suggested we don't keep score in the fantasy game, just that the best team shouldn't get pick of the litter when new guys show up just because they "called it" first.As I said, as a programmer/tech guy, I've always been one of the guys who had an advantage, and frankly it's boring. If I'm already one of the best teams in teh league, why should I have an advantage simply because I don't have kids or whatever? At the very least, it should be one weekly waiver run based on last-to-first or, my preference, rolling waiver wire. Let's be honest - there's simply no "strategy" in FCFS. If someone gets hurt, it's a race to the waiver wire. In fact, I've personally seen it drive a number of otherwise very knowledgeable and dedicated owners away in a number of leagues - as guys got older and lives became more demanding, they didn't have time to sit in front of the TV and make moves on a second-to-second basis. It became less fun, and that's what this is supposed to be after all.With dynasty, salary contract years, it's more like being a GM - you're making strategic decisions, winning players at auction, managing your cap space - as opposed to who can click the button faster. Then again, you probably play in team defense leagues, don't you? :unsure:

Hoss_Cartwright said:
djmich said:
:unsure: Yah, because that's comparable. People work dude, why have being in a meeting drive your fantasy football season.
While we're at it make sure everyone in the league has the same info on players so no one has an advantage. As the commish make sure you post any meaningful info about injuries, late minute scratches, etc. We want everyone to be on the same level playing field.
:rolleyes: Give it a rest, Hoss. Your analogies suck.

killrobotkill said:
Go to the website and send the wireless link to yourself and save it as a bookmark. You will never need to visit the site from ur home CPU again.

Hoss_Cartwright said:
djmich said:
:pickle: Yah, because that's comparable. People work dude, why have being in a meeting drive your fantasy football season.
You just don't get it. Before I ponied up 80 bucks a month to be competitive in your league, I'd find a different one to play in. It's really that simple for me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread