What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snap Percentages Analysis (1 Viewer)

Getting this thread back up and running . . .

STL WRs week 4

Amendola 74%

Givens 69%

Gibson 59%

Quick 23%

Pettis 11%

STL WRs week 5 (Amendola got hurt in this contest)

Givens 79%

Gibson 62%

Pettis 32%

Amendola 30%

Quick 21%

Smith INACTIVE

STL WRs week 6

Givens 84%

Gibson 64%

Smith 37%

Pettis 30%

Quick 23 %

notes - it looks like Givens has been on the field more, while Gibson's snaps are basically the same (even with Amendola OUT).

Givens has deep speed and needs to work on his routes - but i like him based on these stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh hey, my favorite topic is back. :excited:

My posts contain snap count percentage plus utilization (for RBs this also counts targets in passing game).

Jaquizz Rodgers

Week 3 - 47% - 15

Week 4 - 43% - 10

Week 5 - 40% - 5

Week 6 - 38% - 6

Quizz is getting less and less work and field time each week. IMO, these numbers should start to coincide with his ownership percentage.

Daryl Richardson

Week 3 - 33% - 5

Week 4 - 21% - 9

Week 5 - 36% - 11

Week 6 - 38% - 14

SJax is still seeing more of the field and touches plus the future match ups are not very appealing but its hard to ignore the increased workload and his home run ability.

Randall Cobb

Week 3 - 11% - 3

Week 4 - 47% - 8

Week 5 - 66% - 4

Week 6 - 60% - 10

With the way GB's offense has looked recently, Cobb should be locked in as a WR2 for as long as Jennings is sidelined.

Kendall Wright

Week 3 - 75% - 11

Week 4 - 85% - 8

Week 5 - 66% - 11

Week 6 - 44% - 8

At first I wanted to say the decrease in Wright's snap percentage has had a direct correlation to the return of Britt but Britt didn't even play in week 5. D.Williams actually saw the field exactly as much as Wright did in that week. This is perplexing, and I was most surprised by Wright's stats. I don't know if you can trust Wright to continue to see the amount of targets he's receiving if he's on the field for sub 50% of the offensive plays called.

Andrew Hawkins

Week 3 - 50% - 6

Week 4 - 49% - 3

Week 5 - 65% - 14

Week 6 - 72% - 6

The snap count increase is very encouraging. Although Hawkins has been quite as of late, he is catching more passes. He is currently limited due to a back injury. Once healthy, he may turn back into a fantasy asset, especially if the snap percentage/target remain the same or increase.

excellent post. I have Cobb rostered and I have been hesitant to start him (I was burned in week 2) but GB's #3 is a good guy to start I guess.

excellent post. I have Cobb rostered and I have been hesitant to start him (I was burned in week 2) but GB's #3 is a good guy to start I guess.
Yeah and target wise he was the #2 (Jones has 7 week 6). The loss of Benson has been bigger for him than Jennings not being around.

Hawkins being targeted almost as much as Gresham is a great sign. They are making a concerted effort to get him on the field, and to get the ball into his hands in space.

Getting this thread back up and running . . .STL WRs week 4Amendola 74%Givens 69%Gibson 59%Quick 23%Pettis 11%STL WRs week 5 (Amendola got hurt in this contest)Givens 79%Gibson 62%Pettis 32%Amendola 30%Quick 21%Smith INACTIVESTL WRs week 6Givens 84%Gibson 64%Smith 37%Pettis 30%Quick 23 %notes - it looks like Givens has been on the field more, while Gibson's snaps are basically the same (even with Amendola OUT). Givens has deep speed and needs to work on his routes - but i like him based on these stats.
I don't know if wr snaps is always such a great stat, although it might be helpful in stl.you'll see guys like josh morgan, chaz schillens, naanee, etc, get all kinds of snaps but be really ineffective stat producers.

Getting this thread back up and running . . .STL WRs week 4Amendola 74%Givens 69%Gibson 59%Quick 23%Pettis 11%STL WRs week 5 (Amendola got hurt in this contest)Givens 79%Gibson 62%Pettis 32%Amendola 30%Quick 21%Smith INACTIVESTL WRs week 6Givens 84%Gibson 64%Smith 37%Pettis 30%Quick 23 %notes - it looks like Givens has been on the field more, while Gibson's snaps are basically the same (even with Amendola OUT). Givens has deep speed and needs to work on his routes - but i like him based on these stats.
I don't know if wr snaps is always such a great stat, although it might be helpful in stl.you'll see guys like josh morgan, chaz schillens, naanee, etc, get all kinds of snaps but be really ineffective stat producers.
True, but that's where the target numbers are helpful. Morgan is actually leading all Skins receivers in YPC and catch %, but his target numbers are low because he's mainly on the field for his excellent blocking skills.

sometimes you are right.However, that's usually because there is no other talent behind them or that talent is raw. Obviosuly, I am not wanting to look at these stats in a vacuum. Like any other stat, they must be put into perspective. It's just another tool to use.Morgan only got 60% of the snaps last week - and we know what he is at this point in the NFL. He's a great blocker on the outside.Nannee had young, inexperienced players behind him, and NONE of those players have really developed, so we know why Naanee started for so long. I won't even bring up Schillens.I am just looking for interesting snap trends and guys with actual receiving talent hose snaps might reveal something about the coach's intentions.Just doing my best to stay ahead of the curve.

True, but that's where the target numbers are helpful. Morgan is actually leading all Skins receivers in YPC and catch %, but his target numbers are low because he's mainly on the field for his excellent blocking skills.
good call here - I responded above before I read your post.

I agree. Some WR's are in there because they are excellent blockers. It'd be nice to see a snap count based on passing plays

Andrew Hawkins

Week 3 - 50% - 6

Week 4 - 49% - 3

Week 5 - 65% - 14

Week 6 - 72% - 6

The snap count increase is very encouraging. Although Hawkins has been quite as of late, he is catching more passes. He is currently limited due to a back injury. Once healthy, he may turn back into a fantasy asset, especially if the snap percentage/target remain the same or increase.
I was starting to worry about this guy but these numbers are reassuring.

I haven't seen a thread devoted to this, so I will start one. Everyone talks targets, and those are important, but I like seeing how often guys are on the field.These are all season to date snapshots taken from footballoutsiders.comFor exampleBAL TEPitta 67%Dickson 58%Obviously Pitta is on the field 2/3 of the time, but you compare it to guys like Gronkowski (99%) and there is no comparison. Dickson is on the field enough to stunt Pitta's fantasy growth.
need to see the percentage of passing snaps he plays. who cares if he is in on running downs? moreover, what is the percentage of passing plays that he runs a route? again, obv its useless if he is blocking. so i wouldnt read too much into te snaps in particular. id say targets matter a more.
You make a fair point, but you have to keep in mind that some offenses run a no huddle and audible quite heavily. Having a TE that can be on the field for that initial called running play helps.

I highlighted Wright's decrease in snap percentage earlier, now let's take a look at Nate..

Nate Washington

Week 3 - 92% - 3

Week 4 - 94% - 5

Week 5 - 94% - 8

Week 6 - 77% - 10

Britt affected both Nate and Wright's play time last week. However, it's hard to ignore the weekly bump in targets since Hass took over. I read somewhere saying Hass doesn't look towards Nate as much as Locker, whoever wrote that must be high. When Locker has been under center, Nate has seen on average 2.5 targets per game. With Hass, he literally sees around 8. This week TEN plays BUF who's ranked near dead last against the pass and is prone to giving up big plays (17.5 YPA). He could make for a decent flex, especially during a week with so many players on bye.

What I found interesting this week..

Reggie Bush vs. Daniel Thomas

Bush - 33% - 15 (14/59/0 and 1/6/0)

Thomas - 67% - 17 (15/42/1 and 1/3/0)

Can someone explain this to me? I know Bush fumbled and the Jets got spanked, but does that merit handing over the workload to a two time, recently concussed D.Thomas?

Micheal Turner vs. Jaquizz Rodgers

Turner - 48% - 26 (24/58/0 and 1/6/0)

Jaquizz - 39% - 13 (8/60/0 and 5/20/0)

Snelling - 23% - 4

Although ATL utilized Quizz the 2nd most they had all season vs. PHI, Turner also set a season high in carries/targets. This was a product of game state. Don't let the production fool you, Week 8's snap percentage falls in line with previous weeks. Quizz is still entrenched as a RB4/5 until ATL realizes Turner's tank is on E.

Ronnie Hillman

Week 4 - 26% - 12 (McGahee was still feeling the effects of a rib injury that took him out of Week 3's game)

Week 5 - 7% - 4

Week 6 - 14% - 2

Week 8 - 32% - 15 (14/86/0 and 1/-4/0)

Now, this was also clearly a product of game state. DEN absolutely man handled NO both on the ground and through the air (what else is new). One has to wonder if there will be 40ish carries to divvy up between McGahee, Hillman and Ball again moving forward. The remaining schedule is CIN, CAR, SD, KC, TB, OAK, BAL, CLE. What do you think?

Donald Brown vs. Vick Ballard

Brown - 38% - 15 (14/80/0)

Ballard - 42% - 13 (12/55/0 and 1/16/1)

Ballard's awesome OT GL leap likely overshadowed a rather solid performance from Brown. Granted it was TEN, but Brown really surprised me, rushing for 80 yards on 14 carries with his first carry coming with 11:09 left in the second quarter. Personally, I think Ballard has done enough to carve out a role for himself and I envision somewhere between a 60/40 and 70/30 timeshare in the future with Ballard mostly coming in on 3rd downs. They will likely hurt each others already rather limited values and will only be playable in plus match ups. Luckily, there are some in store down the road in JAC, BUF, TEN and KC. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Steven Ridley vs. Shane Vereen vs. Danny Woodhead

Ridley - 41% - 15 (15/127/1)

Vereen - 31% - 8 (7/22/1 and 1/17/0)

Woodhead - 28% - 9 (2/3/0 and 5/56/0)

I won't even pretend I can decipher this backfield. All I'll say is Vereen is clearly apart of the game plan and will probably blow up one of these weeks. Ridley continues to perform, even with a measly 15 touches on the ball. I think that's a true testament to his talent and the system he's in.

Ryan Mathews vs. Ronnie Brown

Mathews - 57% - 28 (24/95/0 and 2/9/0)

Brown - 39% - 12 (4/17/0 and 7/85/0)

I just wanted to highlight how Mathews has a crazy utilization to snap ratio. He was utilized the 2nd most last week but saw the 17th most snaps and was ranked 20th in relative snap percentage. I understand SD trusts Ronnie in the two-minute drill/hurry up offense but this is a bit ridiculous.

Last but not least. Kevin Smith was active, saw 16% of the snaps and was utilized twice. :excited: ?

Can someone explain this to me? I know Bush fumbled and the Jets got spanked, but does that merit handing over the workload to a two time, recently concussed D.Thomas?
just based on those numbers it looks like they had thomas in on all the pass plays in addition to his runs.I'd have to assume from that they like his pass pro better -- he does have about 30 lbs on bush.

this is what yahoo has to say about his latest 'concussion'

Oct 28 Thomas (head) is active for Sunday's game against the Jets.

Recommendation: There were concerns that Thomas had suffered a second concussion but it turns out that the big blow he took in Week 5 didn't result in one

Micheal Turner vs. Jaquizz Rodgers

Turner - 48% - 26 (24/58/0 and 1/6/0)

Jaquizz - 39% - 13 (8/60/0 and 5/20/0)

Snelling - 23% - 4

Although ATL utilized Quizz the 2nd most they had all season vs. PHI, Turner also set a season high in carries/targets. This was a product of game state. Don't let the production fool you, Week 8's snap percentage falls in line with previous weeks. Quizz is still entrenched as a RB4/5 until ATL realizes Turner's tank is on E.

Ronnie Hillman

Week 4 - 26% - 12 (McGahee was still feeling the effects of a rib injury that took him out of Week 3's game)

Week 5 - 7% - 4

Week 6 - 14% - 2

Week 8 - 32% - 15 (14/86/0 and 1/-4/0)

Now, this was also clearly a product of game state. DEN absolutely man handled NO both on the ground and through the air (what else is new). One has to wonder if there will be 40ish carries to divvy up between McGahee, Hillman and Ball again moving forward. The remaining schedule is CIN, CAR, SD, KC, TB, OAK, BAL, CLE. What do you think?

Donald Brown vs. Vick Ballard

Brown - 38% - 15 (14/80/0)

Ballard - 42% - 13 (12/55/0 and 1/16/1)

Ballard's awesome OT GL leap likely overshadowed a rather solid performance from Brown. Granted it was TEN, but Brown really surprised me, rushing for 80 yards on 14 carries with his first carry coming with 11:09 left in the second quarter. Personally, I think Ballard has done enough to carve out a role for himself and I envision somewhere between a 60/40 and 70/30 timeshare in the future with Ballard mostly coming in on 3rd downs. They will likely hurt each others already rather limited values and will only be playable in plus match ups. Luckily, there are some in store down the road in JAC, BUF, TEN and KC. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Steven Ridley vs. Shane Vereen vs. Danny Woodhead

Ridley - 41% - 15 (15/127/1)

Vereen - 31% - 8 (7/22/1 and 1/17/0)

Woodhead - 28% - 9 (2/3/0 and 5/56/0)

I won't even pretend I can decipher this backfield. All I'll say is Vereen is clearly apart of the game plan and will probably blow up one of these weeks. Ridley continues to perform, even with a measly 15 touches on the ball. I think that's a true testament to his talent and the system he's in.

Ryan Mathews vs. Ronnie Brown

Mathews - 57% - 28 (24/95/0 and 2/9/0)

Brown - 39% - 12 (4/17/0 and 7/85/0)

I just wanted to highlight how Mathews has a crazy utilization to snap ratio. He was utilized the 2nd most last week but saw the 17th most snaps and was ranked 20th in relative snap percentage. I understand SD trusts Ronnie in the two-minute drill/hurry up offense but this is a bit ridiculous.

Last but not least. Kevin Smith was active, saw 16% of the snaps and was utilized twice. :excited: ?
great, great post.

I just wanted to comment on the SD numbers. That as a crazy game - and the weather forced the teams into runheavy mode - that's why the numbers are skewed.

"Steven Ridley vs. Shane Vereen vs. Danny Woodhead"

(Ridley owner) My take on this is Woodhead over the last 3 weeks (a few weeks after AH's injury) has caught 5,4,5 on 16 targets which works out to be 25% of his snaps he is thrown to. He is the RB guy in there on passing downs and Ridley is not. What somewhat surprises me is they still try to run Woodhead. I will need to watch the film but perhaps those runs are draws. Considering Ridley has a few fumbles (losing 1) may be why he is still in something of a time share w/Vereen or Bolden. Looking at the # of snaps Ridley was in last 2 weeks he carries the ball 50% of those snaps.

Thanks for the Kevin Smith monitoring he is a guy out there on waivers.

good post. They have to run Woodhead sometimes, otherwise the D would be tipped off every snap he is on the field.

Through the first two thirds of the game the touches were split 5:3 (15/9) for Bush. But after the Dolphins went up 27-3 late in the third Thomas had eight touches and Bush had none. I think the split while the game was competitive is probably indicative of things going forward.

"Steven Ridley vs. Shane Vereen vs. Danny Woodhead"

(Ridley owner) My take on this is Woodhead over the last 3 weeks (a few weeks after AH's injury) has caught 5,4,5 on 16 targets which works out to be 25% of his snaps he is thrown to. He is the RB guy in there on passing downs and Ridley is not. What somewhat surprises me is they still try to run Woodhead. I will need to watch the film but perhaps those runs are draws. Considering Ridley has a few fumbles (losing 1) may be why he is still in something of a time share w/Vereen or Bolden. Looking at the # of snaps Ridley was in last 2 weeks he carries the ball 50% of those snaps.

Thanks for the Kevin Smith monitoring he is a guy out there on waivers.
I don't know if this is the case all the time, and I'm sure that sometimes they run him to keep the opponent guessing, but a lot of his runs might come while they're running no huddle.it's true that it's somewhat of a rbbc, but ridley usually gets the bulk of the runs.

there aren't many backs in the league who don't share to some extent.

Through the first two thirds of the game the touches were split 5:3 (15/9) for Bush. But after the Dolphins went up 27-3 late in the third Thomas had eight touches and Bush had none. I think the split while the game was competitive is probably indicative of things going forward.
Thanks, I assumed it had a lot to do with MIA going up big on NYJ early. In the immediate future, due to the rather polarizing schedule, D.Thomas may be worth a bye-week flex start. He'll be a good bet to score at least twice in his upcoming three games IMO.IND (8th), TEN (1rst), BUF (3rd), SEA (29th), NE (25th), SF (32nd), JAC (5th), BUF (3rd)

Thanks, I assumed it had a lot to do with MIA going up big on NYJ early. In the immediate future, due to the rather polarizing schedule, D.Thomas may be worth a bye-week flex start. He'll be a good bet to score at least twice in his upcoming three games IMO.IND (8th), TEN (1rst), BUF (3rd), SEA (29th), NE (25th), SF (32nd), JAC (5th), BUF (3rd)
Would you put him over someone like Michael Bush going forward this year?

Would you put him over someone like Michael Bush going forward this year?
I have no problem dropping him for/ranking him behind D.Thomas. M.Bush has seen his utilization cut in half over the past three weeks (average of 5.5 carries/targets a game) with Forte healthy. This was to be expected. More importantly, the schedule is rather brutal. Aside from a sweet match up vs. TEN this week, CHI faces HOU, SF, MIN, SEA, MIN, GB, ARI for the rest of the season. Horrible.

Check out M. Sanu (Cin)

Week 9 16%

Week 10 63%

Week 11 89%*

* A Green had the same percentage.

Gotta like a guy who is on the court the same amount as one of the top receivers in the game. Jones is still hurt, but he is losing groud to Sanu. Sanu may be staking a claim on the WR2 role in Cincinnati as we speak.

Every pass attempt goes down as a target to someone, right? So if the QB rolls and throws the ball out of bounds on purpose, that's a "target" for the closest receiver? It seems like the target number could be fairly misleading since some of those targets are not meant to be catchable balls; this number of "false targets" could vary significantly from receiver to receiver based on their usage in the system.

You'd have to actually watch the game to make this determination, but it would be interesting to look at a "real targets" number. There might be certain players that, because of scheme of QB tendency, tend to have the ball thrown in their direction when it's being thrown away, so their targets would be artificially high and their catch percentage low.

Another metric I was thinking about for receivers is PYPT (Potential Yards Per Target). I don't mean receiving yards divided by targets, I mean total possible receiving yards (assuming every target is caught) divided by targets. So to get this you'd need to watch the games and estimate the yards on the incomplete passes. This would help tell you how far down field a guy is being targeted, regardless of whether those balls are actually caught or not.

'duaneok66 said:
Check out M. Sanu (Cin)Week 9 16%Week 10 63%Week 11 89%** A Green had the same percentage.Gotta like a guy who is on the court the same amount as one of the top receivers in the game. Jones is still hurt, but he is losing groud to Sanu. Sanu may be staking a claim on the WR2 role in Cincinnati as we speak.
Marvin is finally practiced today. Sanu has definitely taken advantage of his absence, but he did receive just 4 targets despite all of those snaps.

good point, but I am looking for a guy to lock down that #2 position. It appears that Sanu has the leg up.

Users who are viewing this thread