What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So what's your FBG username all about? (1 Viewer)

Music I have gravitated to and been involved with over the last 40 years, and had some pop in the ole softball bat so came up with Bluesbomber across three types of sites. Not sure if I have kept same name since old yeller or not, guessing not but...One of the sites someone unbeknownst to me was Bluebomber and got really miffed like I stole their name... 

I thought it would be funny to have a username to chime in once a year on groundhog day, then I decided to just become phil full time.  The "username checks out" still gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
Have you been to Gobbler’s Knob? I grew up in a small town just a few miles south of Punxy. 

It was my grandfather's nickname and he was a beloved local celebrity.  Growing up, lots of kids at school called me by his name instead of my real name.  It stuck among classmates and friends but never among my family.  In fact, my grandfather used to complain that he would go to sign up for websites like Ebay and I had already taken the username.  Don't think he ever tried FBG though.

I self identify as being a Lions fan since 1967 but in the early years I wasn't very aware because of my age. I remember thinking Greg Landry must be the best Lions QB of all-time because he's been the best in the years I'd been watching. For my 11th birthday I got this book and came to the realization there was once a time when the Detroit Lions won NFL Title games. I've been fascinated with Bobby Layne ever since.

He held a lot of the NFL career records Johnny Unitas would later break. He practically invented the two minute drill. Doak Walker said "Bobby never lost a game. Some days, time just ran out on him."

I self identify as being a Lions fan since 1967 but in the early years I wasn't very aware because of my age. I remember thinking Greg Landry must be the best Lions QB of all-time because he's been the best in the years I'd been watching. For my 11th birthday I got this book and came to the realization there was once a time when the Detroit Lions won NFL Title games. I've been fascinated with Bobby Layne ever since.

He held a lot of the NFL career records Johnny Unitas would later break. He practically invented the two minute drill. Doak Walker said "Bobby never lost a game. Some days, time just ran out on him."
That's not a very thick book 

One year in FF I made 5-6 moves that worked out perfectly and won my league.  Picked up a couple guys were were not playing at the time that turned into studs.

At our year end party the Commish in giving my payout said "This Guru made all the right moves this year" So the next year changed my teams name to "Da Guru`s" Taken from Da Bears.

My moves have not worked out the same since.  :sadbanana:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a big D&D nerd back in the day, and I also like the author H.P. Lovecraft.

In the Deities and Demigods D&D book, Hastur means "He who must not be named".  I thought it fitting for a semi-anonymous forum.

I was a big D&D nerd back in the day, and I also like the author H.P. Lovecraft.

In the Deities and Demigods D&D book, Hastur means "He who must not be named".  I thought it fitting for a semi-anonymous forum.
The other screen name I've had has been Anaan Ng (anonymous, anon-ing, "I'm just anon-ing around," etc.)

Midnight Snack For Gizmo was an old Red Sox Boston Globe handle I used to have, considering I've just turned this into an internet trail for myself and I'm just prattling about. Why not spin yarns about former handles?

Mine is so old, it goes back to when you could only have 8 characters in your email address. So mine was glvsav37@......com

I'm a hockey goalie, so glvsav = "glove save" and 37 has always been my jersey number. 

The avatar is my company's logo, so no relation to the user name. 

Thought it was fun nearly 20 years ago when I picked it 😳
I've been in a survivor pool for going on a decade. When I first signed up, it was around the time of disgraced NYC politician Anthony Weiner using the pseudonym "Carlos Danger", so I reversed it and named my entry "Charlie Peligro". Here it is 2022, no one's thought of Weiner in years, and the stupid site won't let me change it for some reason. I probably could figure something out, but at this point it's almost become retro kitsch.

Oh, and as for this site, Ignatius J Reilly is the (anti?) hero of John Kennedy Toole's "A Confederacy of Dunces", which I read when I was a teenager and absolutely loved. That's him in my avatar, but in case anyone is wondering I look nothing like that 

A lifetime of disappointment and sadness....

On a related note, mine was to honor one of the founders of the Dawg Pound and my favorite player when I was a kid. I didn't want to end up being Top Dawg Fan though so "Dog" it was.  :D

Plus I have pretty high self esteem and feel like I'm pretty damn good at pretty much everything I do. So there is that.

What's funny is that when I read posts by you (or @dgreen) at some subconscious level I picture Bobby Layne and Darrell Green sitting at a computer typing out the posts. What's more, since Green was one of my favorite athletes as a kid and is by all accounts a great guy, if dgreen turned out to be a jerk the cognitive dissonance would cause my brain to explode. (Fortunately, in my limited interactions with him he has lived up to his namesake). 

Of course, the converse is not necessarily true: I have no problem accepting the fact that @Nathan R. Jessep is a nice guy and not a power-mad, narcissistic psychopath

That was why I mentioned in my previous post that I look nothing like my avatar, because I suspect there might be a similar dynamic going on with people picturing me

What's funny is that when I read posts by you (or @dgreen) at some subconscious level I picture Bobby Layne and Darrell Green sitting at a computer typing out the posts. What's more, since Green was one of my favorite athletes as a kid and is by all accounts a great guy, if dgreen turned out to be a jerk the cognitive dissonance would cause my brain to explode. (Fortunately, in my limited interactions with him he has lived up to his namesake). 

Of course, the converse is not necessarily true: I have no problem accepting the fact that @Nathan R. Jessep is a nice guy and not a power-mad, narcissistic psychopath

That was why I mentioned in my previous post that I look nothing like my avatar, because I suspect there might be a similar 

There was a mirror thread in which somebody said something similar, and @wikkidpissah posted “You trying to tell me BL isn’t philandering alcoholic who stays out until 4am the night before a game?”

My username on Old Yeller was two letters, and when I tried registering on the transition, it was not accepted as needed to be at least three characters. In trying to think of something else to use (and, quick, to make sure I secured that all important three digit member number), I had the novel next to me and decided to just go with that.

🤣

That was a crazy day.  But I did well ... number 250.  I bet I wasted hours that day securing it.

Kutta was one of my favorite mathematicians whom I named my company after 21 years ago. It’s my username pretty much everywhere.
Out of the pantheon of mathematicians, Kutta is not one that makes many top 10 lists, let alone top 291. No love for Runge?

As a personal fan of the continuous and not the discrete, I feel that Kutta's work chops beautiful smoothness into utilitarian, less-beautiful chunks. Oh well, to each his own.

I like cheese. 

We live in a world that has forums. And those forums have to be tended by men with computers. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Joe Bryant? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Maurile, and you curse the mods. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know; that Joe's policies, while stringent, probably save gigabytes. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, *saves gigabytes*. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on this board. You need me on this board. We use the laugh reaction and words like: smoo, nufced, amirite, shuked. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a poster who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very words that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide them! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a device and make a post. Either way, I don't give a *damn* what you think you are entitled to! 

Picked it back in the Old Yeller days as an Oregon fan living in the Bay Area.  Same alias I've used at a couple other message boards and socials.  

After 25 years in The Bay I moved back to Oregon last year and it's now not entirely accurate.  :shrug:

Picked it back in the Old Yeller days as an Oregon fan living in the Bay Area.  Same alias I've used at a couple other message boards and socials.  

After 25 years in The Bay I moved back to Oregon last year and it's now not entirely accurate.  :shrug:
So change your username to ORGator

He played for the Bills and was a beloved fan-favorite player and member of the community, known for perpetually being a hard-working, scrappy underdog.  I love the Bills, and who doesn't love an underdog story?  

He played for the Bills and was a beloved fan-favorite player and member of the community, known for perpetually being a hard-working, scrappy underdog.  I love the Bills, and who doesn't love an underdog story?  

excellent teams. unfortunate timing during NFC dominance.

Out of the pantheon of mathematicians, Kutta is not one that makes many top 10 lists, let alone top 291. No love for Runge?

As a personal fan of the continuous and not the discrete, I feel that Kutta's work chops beautiful smoothness into utilitarian, less-beautiful chunks. Oh well, to each his own.

I like cheese. 
Agreed on all accounts. He’s definitely second tier. But his name has a good ring to it, and he did a lot of work with air flow over air foils, and I’m an aerospace engineer, so there’s that…

Inspired by a certain poster who also rocked the !. Also, that little punctuation mark just seems to fit the overall energy and pure awesomeness of James Tiberius Kirk.

#phazerssettofun

Birdie is actually short for Bird Sh!t 

College days early 1980's, group leaving my apartment, birds dropped guano all around us, I was not hit, but when 1 friend called out "Bird Sh!t" and I said "What?".  It stuck! 

When I joined, I needed a name quick.  Since Mr R is Val Rannous, I just picked Mrs Rannous.  If I had realised I would need the name for so many years, I might have gone with Sequipedalia Girl.  Given that it's pretty long, I probably lucked out.

Users who are viewing this thread