What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So what's your FBG username all about? (1 Viewer)

Waaaaaaaay back in the day (the 80's, dude...), Val Rannous was a character I played in a DnD style Role Playing Game (for the super nerdy, it was GURPS Space).  Only time I ever played an evil character - well, not really evil, more a megalomaniac who wanted to take over the galaxy because EVERYBODY was out to get him, so he needed to strike first!!  Bwah hahahahahah!

Eventually, I started using the name as a computer game avatar (Quake Arena!), then it was my pseudonym for places like this that don't use personal names.  Due to the "sordid" history, poor Mrs. R. gets stuck being the wife of somebody who says Bwah hahahahahah!

Waaaaaaaay back in the day (the 80's, dude...), Val Rannous was a character I played in a DnD style Role Playing Game (for the super nerdy, it was GURPS Space).  Only time I ever played an evil character - well, not really evil, more a megalomaniac who wanted to take over the galaxy because EVERYBODY was out to get him, so he needed to strike first!!  Bwah hahahahahah!

Eventually, I started using the name as a computer game avatar (Quake Arena!), then it was my pseudonym for places like this that don't use personal names.  Due to the "sordid" history, poor Mrs. R. gets stuck being the wife of somebody who says Bwah hahahahahah!
Eyeroll.

On the way to my first fantasy draft in 1991, this was the last song playing in the car. Got to the draft and was told I’d need a team name and Atomic Punk was born. Has been my user name and name of every fantasy team ever since.

I'm not very imaginative. Just using my last name. However if my name was longer I'd probably do something different. 

I originally (in middle/high school) needed a GamerTag for Halo. And I figured I played pretty instinctively and like the idea of that, just following intuition more and aspired to that quite a bit (I'm a pretty logical person by default). Then that became my name in many places, although it has also seen many variations because it was often taken. 

I also ran (run?) the alias Jermichael Finley (though I couldn't log into it when i tried last year so maybe it is gone) where I used to post in threads about TEs and also anytime someone said "Bump Finley" I'd swap over to it to consider a quote reply of something like "I'll be the TE1 this year for sure!"

I was a cook on a submarine.  One of my buddies was giving a new guy a tour of the boat.  He popped into the galley where I was preparing lunch and introduced me as Tommy Ptomaine trying to scare him a bit.   Lucky for me that name stuck.  Before that, I was known by the name of one of my specialties when I was the  night baker.  Being called a food borne illness was far better that being called 'Sticky buns'.   😁

Not sure - I was around on the cheatsheets days (the other thread was a stroll down memory lane with some of the other sites) but was a regular member at the same site @nirad3 was on, so was more of a lurker here. I either set up a profile with my usual online moniker and forgot the password (or used an old email address) or someone else had it. Just used the other user name I sometimes use. The 50 is my old basketball number (that I still use in the men's league to this day).

Every so often I think about seeing if I can switch over to my original moniker (the user with the name here last posted 10 years ago), but don't really want to "start over"

Last edited by a moderator:
Shick! accidentially permabanned my main login, so I needed to create a backup.   I was a moderator on a fishing forum and used "smellslikefish" there.   Started using that here, but someone got offended so the mods changed it to "smellslike."   I told them it was a stupid name so they changed it again to -fish-.    

This was the first email address I ever had when I went to college at Michigan State and daisies are my favorite flowers. 

Shick! accidentially permabanned my main login, so I needed to create a backup.   I was a moderator on a fishing forum and used "smellslikefish" there.   Started using that here, but someone got offended so the mods changed it to "smellslike."   I told them it was a stupid name so they changed it again to -fish-.    
Wonder who paid me to do that? I could be bought back in the day. Did you have enemies? 

Needed a user name for something about 25 years ago, looked at the bottle of cheap scotch on the shelf, it wouldn't take the full "Johnny Walker Black" as a name, so I just used the initials. I used it on and off for old Usenet groups and forums, including this one. 

Nice. Hope you still have it. Or made a killing on BAT. But I really hope you still have it. 
Owned it for a 18 yrs and unfortunately sold it a couple years ago.  Regret it but it was the right choice at the time.  The market was really good then too so it worked out.  Miss it everyday though.  

'Charlie Steiner' was the first alias I ever created, albeit on a different site. By the time I left there, I had gotten tired of my original username, so when I started here I went with this. Steiner originally came to mind because of this SportsCenter ad.

It does make me miss signatures though: Follow me! Follow me to FREEDOM!

'Charlie Steiner' was the first alias I ever created, albeit on a different site. By the time I left there, I had gotten tired of my original username, so when I started here I went with this. Steiner originally came to mind because of this SportsCenter ad.

It does make me miss signatures though: Follow me! Follow me to FREEDOM!
I will laugh at this for the rest of my life no matter how many times I watch it.

https://youtu.be/ko8qNUNpm3k

Ghoti said:
ghoti=fish

My 9th grade teacher explained it to illustrate how messed up the English language can be in terms of pronunciation.  As someone who writes for a living, it has always stuck with me.
My mom is an English teacher and taught me ghoti when I was little. English is fubar.

Hooper31 said:
Wonder who paid me to do that? I could be bought back in the day. Did you have enemies? 
It happened during the deadly animal draft, so it could have been anybody that feared my lineup.  

I may state an incorrect fact or two - old age, fuzzy memory, and all that.

Circa 2004 I spent most of my time hanging out on a San Antonio Spurs message board, spurstalk.com, and in their FFA equivalent we formed a fantasy football league.  Meanwhile I was just working my way into the FBG life.  Anyway,  I made a trade with a fellow league member, and then proceeded to make a post in the shark pool about how I fleeced a league mate on a trade.  His name was @drpill, and I was properly called out.  If you know the legend of Stoner Claus, you know who Dr. Pill is.

Meanwhile, back in the early oughts, Coach Popovich was referred to as CIA Pop.  Again, details are fuzzy, but a couple of things drove the Popovich nickname.  (1) His AirForce intelligence background and eastern European roots;  and (2) his heavy emphasis on scouting and drafting foreign players (Ginobilli and Parker to name two, and oh my what could have been, Robertas Javtokas; would be in the NBA Hall of Fame today if not for a knee injury suffered in a motorcycle accident).

Anyway, a more covert touch was required, obviously,  and I notice that all the most *important* posters in the FFA were a Mister or Mr., and thus became Mister CIA.

In high school, me and a group of friends were sitting around BSing, and the topic of old tyme fat kids came up. We wondered how they got/stayed chubby, and what they got for treats. I blurted out lard on a stick. :shrug:
For this fat kid it was cake.

When I joined this site my fantasy football name was FatKidsLoveCake after the 50 cent lyric from 21 Questions. I was hiding in plain sight from my league mates here with TheFatKid handle. If I thought I would have stuck around for 16 years I would have picked something different.

Great thread love reading the back stories.

Summer of 95, I'm home from college with a dial-up modem, an AOL start disk, and the knowledge of mIRC chat rooms. Needed a name to start chatting with hot girls, and I had Casablanca running in the background and noticed the VHS case sitting on top of the TV. Was close enough to my last name and was available. Been my name on every board/chat room/etc ever since.

Ptomaine said:
I was a cook on a submarine.  One of my buddies was giving a new guy a tour of the boat.  He popped into the galley where I was preparing lunch and introduced me as Tommy Ptomaine trying to scare him a bit.   Lucky for me that name stuck.  Before that, I was known by the name of one of my specialties when I was the  night baker.  Being called a food borne illness was far better that being called 'Sticky buns'.   😁
Hola!  SSN-751 checking in.

Funniest thing I ever saw. Me (ET2) and my buddy, Stoneham (aka, Rock Pig, and RM3) were waiting downstairs to be called up to the mess deck for lunch.  They called up two, when it should have been one; I grabbed my chow and sat down first to eat.  Meanwhile Rock Pig was told to go back downstairs and wait, even though he was standing there with a plate full of food.  He said "eff" that and proceeded to sit on the floor immediately outside the galley. 

And here comes Seaman Recruit Bigelow (Alfred E. Neuman dead-ringer) stepping out of the galley with a massive sheetcake with no visual on my buddy and proceeded to trip and land face-first in white frosting.

Submarine cook story:  "Hey Stosh, have you ever spit in anyone's food?"  ... "Just the XO's"

EDIT: Retraction - this is the funniest thing I've ever seen:  https://twitter.com/videosvecagando/status/1550289755362967553?s=20&t=whIvZIcczwVlEntda2mVjQ

EDIT Deux:  I know wrong thread, but XO went on to become plankowning CO of the USS Seawolf; San Juan CO went on to become Sub Commodore in Honolulu and was aboard USS Greenville that surfaced and wiped out Japanese civilian boat on this fateful day.

-fish- said:

This is peak 2006 fbgs tbh

You know, despite what happened in the yoga pants thread, I'm still convinced that FBG’s have many fine qualities. I think you can all still become gentlemen someday if you understand and abide by the rules of decent society. There's a lot of...well, badness in the world today. I see it in court every day. I've sentenced boys younger than Otis to the gas chamber. I didn't want to do it- I felt I owed it to him. The most important decision you can make right now is what you stand for- PPR...or non PPR.

My wife and I bought our first computer to check out this new World Wide Internet thing. Figured we would use this e-mail thing sooner or later so we combined my wife's favorite NASCAR driver and her favorite NFL team. Been using it for everything since.

Summer of 95, I'm home from college with a dial-up modem, an AOL start disk, and the knowledge of mIRC chat rooms. Needed a name to start chatting with hot girls, and I had Casablanca running in the background and noticed the VHS case sitting on top of the TV. Was close enough to my last name and was available. Been my name on every board/chat room/etc ever since.
I was Klinsmann on EFNet.  :bag:  

Hola!  SSN-751 checking in

Submarine cook story:  "Hey Stosh, have you ever spit in anyone's food?"  ... "Just the XO's"
SSN-686 here.   

I can honestly say I never adulterated anyone's food with bodily fluids.      I did once 'season' the Supply Officer's pancakes with tabasco.     I did also witness a Sonar Girl making a coffee run and he used his 'member' to stir a Chief's coffee.

I wanted a name that reflected the fact I'm a Canadian. Hence the Northern. I had played around with the second word and finally landed on Exposure.  I received some comments from the late Chris Wesseling telling me he was jealous of my Username because he was a big fan of the TV show. That was a great seal of approval in my eyes. RIP Chris.

SSN-686 here.   

I can honestly say I never adulterated anyone's food with bodily fluids.      I did once 'season' the Supply Officer's pancakes with tabasco.     I did also witness a Sonar Girl making a coffee run and he used his 'member' to stir a Chief's coffee.
I'm confused by the Sonar girl with "his member" part of the story. But, inquiring minds need to know...was the coffee hot or iced? 

Users who are viewing this thread