What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2017 (3 Viewers)

Planning on taking the day off from work and pulling the kids out of school for this.  It's about a hours drive to Columbia, SC to get into full eclipse zone.  I'm assuming traffic will   be awful driving down and back.   We are thinking of going to the zoo to watch it - seems as good of a place as any.

I figure this is a once in a lifetime type of event - might as well do it right.

They're selling these glasses in the counter at 7/11 now. Picked up a handful. 

I rememebr this from the last solar eclipse when I was in grammar school, but remind me, why is this so dangerous for your eyes?  I look at the regular sun and I'm fine, but why does looking at part blind you?

Planning on taking the day off from work and pulling the kids out of school for this.  It's about a hours drive to Columbia, SC to get into full eclipse zone.  I'm assuming traffic will   be awful driving down and back.   We are thinking of going to the zoo to watch it - seems as good of a place as any.

I figure this is a once in a lifetime type of event - might as well do it right.
:no:

You just need to travel more to see them!   ;)

Actually the next one visible for USA will be in April 2024.

I rememebr this from the last solar eclipse when I was in grammar school, but remind me, why is this so dangerous for your eyes?  I look at the regular sun and I'm fine, but why does looking at part blind you?
It's essentially the same danger as looking at the regular sun.  You shouldn't do that either.  Over exposure to UV can cause all sorts of damage to the cornea and retina. Since an eclipse is rare and cool event, people will tend to stare at it for lengthy periods of time.  You don't stare at the "regular" sun for more than a fleeting glimpse, but even this is not good for you as damage can accumulate.  When you develop cataracts or macular degeneration down the road, you can reflect on the times you unnecessarily exposed your eyes to more UV than necessary by looking directly at the sun.

For the time the sun is totally eclipsed, it wouldn't be a risk to look without protection at all...about as dangerous as looking at the moon.

ETA...here is a link with a few more details about the dangers of staring at the sun

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seeing this thread.  I'm in the path of totality, expected to get just under 2 minutes.  I've taken the day off and am heading up to my daughter's house in Lexington.  She's 2.5 miles from the center line, expected to get nearly a minute more.  Hotels in Charleston and Columbia have been sold out for months.

Going to get an early start because traffic is going to be a mess.  Also, if there is going to be cloud cover, I'll have to drive to alternative sites I've lined up.

Lexington
:hey:

I'll be downtown Columbia.

Just seeing this thread.  I'm in the path of totality, expected to get just under 2 minutes.  I've taken the day off and am heading up to my daughter's house in Lexington.  She's 2.5 miles from the center line, expected to get nearly a minute more.  Hotels in Charleston and Columbia have been sold out for months.

Going to get an early start because traffic is going to be a mess.  Also, if there is going to be cloud cover, I'll have to drive to alternative sites I've lined up.

How can one tell exactly where the center line is? Do you have a link to that? I saw a projection that looked like it crossed right over my house buut I didn''t know how accurate or exact it was. I would think I'm pretty close as well.

I'll be downtown Columbia.

How can one tell exactly where the center line is? Do you have a link to that? I saw a projection that looked like it crossed right over my house buut I didn''t know how accurate or exact it was. I would think I'm pretty close as well.
My daughter is headed downtown, but I plan on hanging out at her place.  Don't want to attend an event full of people that will be drinking and partying.

One site

This is the main one I have been using.

I'll be backpacking in the Grand Tetons during the eclipse, had to get my permit within one hour of the permit system opening for 2017 months and months ago (and still got one of the last places in the park).  Very excited.  Have places to sleep the whole time I'll be out there.  Which is nice because I expect everything to be a mess, but I'll be miles deep in the wilderness in a place that allows something like 20 total people in a 10 square mile area.  I'll also be directly in the line of totality.  At the only National Park that is fully in the line (although parts of the Smokeys will be too).  Have my eclipse glasses to take with me.  Hopefully I'll miss some of the traffic out there.

I'll be backpacking in the Grand Tetons during the eclipse, had to get my permit within one hour of the permit system opening for 2017 months and months ago (and still got one of the last places in the park).  Very excited.  Have places to sleep the whole time I'll be out there.  Which is nice because I expect everything to be a mess, but I'll be miles deep in the wilderness in a place that allows something like 20 total people in a 10 square mile area.  I'll also be directly in the line of totality.  At the only National Park that is fully in the line (although parts of the Smokeys will be too).  Have my eclipse glasses to take with me.  Hopefully I'll miss some of the traffic out there.
You win.

ummmm...yeah about that..

I have about 30 solar viewing glasses and my telescope equipped with a solar filter.   Although we will discuss a few eclipse related things in my classes.  The eclipse peaks after the end of the school day, so I can't really view it with any particular class.  I planned on setting up the scope/glasses and just casually inviting students to come take a look as they are leaving the building before they go home.  I have now been told by my administration that I am not to allow any students to view the eclipse without a parental permission slip.  Really???  Out of fear of some ####### frying their eyes and holding the school responsible, the school feels the need to cover their asses and complicate the whole situation. 

I have about 30 solar viewing glasses and my telescope equipped with a solar filter.   Although we will discuss a few eclipse related things in my classes.  The eclipse peaks after the end of the school day, so I can't really view it with any particular class.  I planned on setting up the scope/glasses and just casually inviting students to come take a look as they are leaving the building before they go home.  I have now been told by my administration that I am not to allow any students to view the eclipse without a parental permission slip.  Really???  Out of fear of some ####### frying their eyes and holding the school responsible, the school feels the need to cover their asses and complicate the whole situation. 
Sounds smart to me. :shrug:  

100% for me. We bought a vacation house and had to reschedule the closing because the locals said the whole town/area was going to be shutting down for days because this thing basically goes complete right over us.  

Decided against making the drive to Oregon, booked a tee time up in Seattle teeing off at 8:30. Starts here around 9:05 and will get 91% so now just need good weather.

96.6% here, if we visited the in laws we'd be over 99%.  Kids get the afternoon off from school but I'll be at work. I could take it off but considering we're flying to China 3 days later for 2 weeks I really can't take the day.

Wife has been listening to others talk about how kids shouldn't look at it even with glasses. So she's planning to keep them inside. :wall: :stalker:

96.6% here, if we visited the in laws we'd be over 99%.  Kids get the afternoon off from school but I'll be at work. I could take it off but considering we're flying to China 3 days later for 2 weeks I really can't take the day.

Wife has been listening to others talk about how kids shouldn't look at it even with glasses. So she's planning to keep them inside. :wall: :stalker:
Kids can look at it. Our school is taking all the kids outside and providing the solar eclipse glasses.

ChiefD said:
Kids can look at it. Our school is taking all the kids outside and providing the solar eclipse glasses.
During open house, I asked my daughter's teacher if they would be taking them outside.  Nope.  No one is allowed outside.  They are even canceling recess.  And they are going to expedite bus loading so no one looks at the sky.  

So silly.

During open house, I asked my daughter's teacher if they would be taking them outside.  Nope.  No one is allowed outside.  They are even canceling recess.  And they are going to expedite bus loading so no one looks at the sky.  

So silly.
Wtf

Fear of liability.  
People are just freakin' crazy with this...Some school districts are taking every student outdoors for the experience, discussing safety, and conducting learning activities that take advantage of the opportunity.  Other school districts are sealing everybody inside and cancelling anything that involves exposure for fear that Johnny Dumbazz might look up.

Leaving tomorrow from MN to WY to see the eclipse.  Wanted to leave early to avoid the Nurd traffic jams.  Funny thing is I sell medical device components to manufactures and a bunch of the engineers and scientists I work with are also leaving to see it. 

I did buy a shady shady pair of glasses from Amazon who promptly returned my money. I did more research and purchased validated ISO glasses this time. 

Kids and I can't wait!!  

Leaving tomorrow from MN to WY to see the eclipse.  Wanted to leave early to avoid the Nurd traffic jams.  Funny thing is I sell medical device components to manufactures and a bunch of the engineers and scientists I work with are also leaving to see it. 

I did buy a shady shady pair of glasses from Amazon who promptly returned my money. I did more research and purchased validated ISO glasses this time. 

Kids and I can't wait!!  
Same here re: Amazon. Got an email saying they couldn't confirm where the lens material was sourced so refunded me the money. Got some *** OFFICIAL*** glasses now. :cool:

People are just freakin' crazy with this...Some school districts are taking every student outdoors for the experience, discussing safety, and conducting learning activities that take advantage of the opportunity.  Other school districts are sealing everybody inside and cancelling anything that involves exposure for fear that Johnny Dumbazz might look up.
Thankfully my son's school is giving all the students ISO glasses and letting them outside to watch.

I used to just stare at the sun as a kid.  Might as well wrap kids in bubble wrap these days.

On a cool note my company is playing a large part in the flights that will capture the eclipse for 8 minutes or so.   :thumbup:

Definitely take the kids out of school.  Make a pinhole camera for them.  With that and the glasses they'll be fine.  Your school board is full of turds.

Users who are viewing this thread