What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2017 (1 Viewer)

I used to just stare at the sun as a kid.  
No, you didn't.  Or perhaps you don't know the meaning of "stare".  Claims like this are akin to the "I walked to an from school...uphill both ways" type statements.

I used to stare at the sun all the time until i could see the circle of the sun.  I never went blind and I also have nearly perfect vision despite being almost 40.  I'm sure it can hurt some people, but I think the panic is a bit much. 

If you have a kid that goes to a moron school that is locking them up for the day and costing your child a chance at seeing this, please take them out, buy them glasses and let them experience a solar eclipse.  It's more important than anything they may learn in school that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you just use a welding shield?
The Sun can be viewed directly only when using filters specifically designed for this purpose. Such filters usually have a thin layer of aluminum, chromium or silver deposited on their surfaces that attenuates ultraviolet, visible, and infrared energy. One of the most widely available filters for safe solar viewing is a number 14 welder's glass, available through welding supply outlets. More recently, aluminized mylar has become a popular, inexpensive alternative. Mylar can easily be cut with scissors and adapted to any kind of box or viewing device. A number of sources for solar filters are listed below. No filter is safe to use with any optical device (i.e. - telescope, binoculars, etc.) unless it has been specifically designed for that purpose. Experienced amateur and professional astronomers may also use one or two layers of completely exposed and fully developed black-and-white film, provided the film contains a silver emulsion. Since all developed color films lack silver, they are always unsafe for use in solar viewing.
This is a few years old, but seemed to be a reliable source.  Do you know what number your shield's glass is?

:lmao:

Seriously.  If 30 seconds to 1 minute counts as a stare, then yes.  

I used to stare at the sun all the time until i could see the circle of the sun.  I never went blind and I also have nearly perfect vision despite being almost 40.  I'm sure it can hurt some people, but I think the panic is a bit much. 
Yeah, and there were people that never got vaccines in the 1800's that didn't get measles.

Sure, the OMG YOU ARE GOING TO GO BLIND stuff is sensationalized, but it's certainly not good for you and could definitely cause problems for some people.  Much better to not have millions of people staring at this thing with their naked eyes, which will probably happen anyway.

Some of these things being posted about what schools are doing is crazy.  My boss is in Georgia and they are keeping the kids in school longer so they won't have to rely on the bus drivers to monitor what the kids do.  He's planning on keeping his kids home and just go outside with them for it.

Here in the Charleston area, schools start tomorrow, but they are all off on Monday.  My daughter teaches in the Columbia area, and her district doesn't start school until Tuesday.

During open house, I asked my daughter's teacher if they would be taking them outside.  Nope.  No one is allowed outside.  They are even canceling recess.  And they are going to expedite bus loading so no one looks at the sky.  

So silly.
People are the worst.

I feel like "dont stare at the sun" thing during an eclipse is overblown. Why cant you just take quick glances?

I bet a fun thing would be to go way back in time to where there was going to be an eclipse and tell the cave men, "If I have come to destroy you, may the sun be blotted out from the sky." Just then the eclipse would start, and they'd probably try to kill you or something, but then you could explain about the rotation of the moon and all, and everyone would get a good laugh.

I feel like "dont stare at the sun" thing during an eclipse is overblown. Why cant you just take quick glances?
For all you "it's not going to make me blind to look at the sun" guys.

Chronic UV effects on the cornea and lens are cumulative, so effective UV protection of the eyes is important for all age groups and should be used systematically. Protection of children’s eyes is especially important, because UV transmittance is higher at a very young age, allowing higher levels of UV radiation to reach the crystalline lens and even the retina.
Cumulative being the important word here.  Yes you may not go blind with a glance or even a one-time stare, but the damage will build over time.

When you've got cataracts at 55, don't come whining about it.

We are just south of the totality...will have about 95% coverage with the peak around 1:10.

My wife teaches as the same elementary that my kids go to.  It is a STEAM school and a magnet school which has become the showcase school for the entire district.  They are making a huge deal over this and will have a lot of various viewing events for the entire building.

We did, however, have the option to opt our kids out as the teachers can't physically keep all of the kids from staring at the sun.  They will have glasses, but there will be a rotation as there aren't enough pairs for every single kid.  We had to fill out a form to keep our kids inside, but otherwise they will all be outside.  Really hope the clouds stay away.

So my kids school was on the fence as to what to do with this until just a few days ago when a letter went out along with a permission slip. In the "rules" it states that they must wear their protective glasses during the eclipse and are not allowed to take them off at all until it's over. 

We are in the path of the 100% coverage. There will be a couple minutes when the sun is completely gone in which it is perfectly safe to look at the eclipse and to see that it's totally dark outside. But with the glasses on they can't see how dark it is and I'm guessing the total eclipse will be barely visible if not visible at all through the protected lenses. 

So my kids school was on the fence as to what to do with this until just a few days ago when a letter went out along with a permission slip. In the "rules" it states that they must wear their protective glasses during the eclipse and are not allowed to take them off at all until it's over. 

We are in the path of the 100% coverage. There will be a couple minutes when the sun is completely gone in which it is perfectly safe to look at the eclipse and to see that it's totally dark outside. But with the glasses on they can't see how dark it is and I'm guessing the total eclipse will be barely visible if not visible at all through the protected lenses. 
Even at 100% I believe you'll still see the sun's corona.

Email the principal at my wife and kids' school sent today:

Plans are underway for the once in a lifetime solar eclipse event happening on Monday, August 21st!!! Classes are studying and discussing the eclipse this week but we will be participating in a whole school “Eclipse Boot Camp” from 9-12:00.  Our 2nd and 6th graders will be our resident Eclipse experts and will be teaching the other students.Our 2nd graders will assist kindergarten and 1st grade while our 6th graders will facilitate learning stations for our 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders. This “Eclipse Boot Camp” is for our students, however we would love for any parent(s) to join us from 1:00-1:30 as we participate in an all school viewing.  Parents will need to provide their own glasses as we only have enough for our 500 students. Be assured all students will complete a safety session with our nurse and our glasses are certified. Please refer to the opt-out letter sent from the school district if you do not want your child to participate.

We are so excited about this event and we cannot wait to share in this with our students!

Talking to some co-workers today:

"You guys excited for the solar eclipse on Monday?"

My buddy's response: "Meh, Ive seen a million eclipses in my day"

:unsure:

100% here.

Our county just cancelled school due to the eclipse. They had already bought solar glasses for all the kids, and the schools had a bunch of events planned for that day including a flash mob performance they've been rehearsing. Oh, well. All cancelled. We'll watch from home.

But it's so dim you can look at it without the protective eye wear, so I have to wonder how much they can see with the glasses on. 
If they are proper glasses, they won't be able to see sh!t when not looking at the sun.  No way they can wear them and expect to move about safely...maybe they want to piggy back a lesson on awareness of what it is like to be blind?  And you are also correct about it being completely safe for the couple minutes of totality.  In fact, that is the coolest part of the experience when you can remove the protection and safely look.

Anyone buy a multipack have an extra pair of glasses they can sell me?  Just want at least one pair to share with the kids. Totally procrastinated.

100% here.

Our county just cancelled school due to the eclipse. They had already bought solar glasses for all the kids, and the schools had a bunch of events planned for that day including a flash mob performance they've been rehearsing. Oh, well. All cancelled. We'll watch from home.
WTF???  How stupid has our society become?  Did they actually cancel because of perceived dangers of the eclipse or are they worried about the chaos created by an influx of tourists to the area?  What a shame.  

If they are proper glasses, they won't be able to see sh!t when not looking at the sun.  No way they can wear them and expect to move about safely...maybe they want to piggy back a lesson on awareness of what it is like to be blind?  And you are also correct about it being completely safe for the couple minutes of totality.  In fact, that is the coolest part of the experience when you can remove the protection and safely look.
That's how I feel about it. That's what I want to see. 

WTF???  How stupid has our society become?  Did they actually cancel because of perceived dangers of the eclipse or are they worried about the chaos created by an influx of tourists to the area?  What a shame.  
The county near me that cancelled everything is fairly rural. Some decent sized towns, but not any major roads other than the highways. They are worried that so many people are just going to stop right where they are that if something were to happen and they needed an ambulance, then it could be a major problem of accessibility for emergency vehicles. 

Also, I'm guessing it solves the whole possible liability should some kid stare at the sun

100% here.

You're probably not far from me judging by your username. 

LOL, no. I think the school system sensed a possible liability issue if some kids take off their glasses and hurt their eyes, or if the one-size-fits-all glasses don't properly conform to kids tiny faces, or the glasses are so dark some kids take them off because they can't see very well, or kids looking up at the sun during recess during non-totality times. That kind of stuff.

ETA: But yes, it's still an overreaction regardless of the reasons.

The world's largest manufacturer of these glasses are right here in Memphis about 7 minutes from my office (American Paper Optics - dba 3dglassesonline.com or eclipseglasses.com).

They had a stand set up outside their manufacturing facility selling them for about $3ea with an unlimited supply. I grabbed 15 and immediately got hit up for most of them. Shipping 5 to a buddy in chicago. 

Probably going to get more tomorrow at lunch and I guess I could priority overnight some (not cheap) for a few folks Monday AM delivery if anyone is hard up. Just let me know. 

Fun quote: 

We are getting 10,000 orders a day on our website, and the orders range from 25 pairs of eclipse glasses to 4,000-plus.”

FedEx, which also calls Memphis home, has been helping American Paper Optics keep up with the high demand for the eclipse glasses.

“FedEx has trailers here at our facility, personnel scanning and filling up the trucks and taking them directly to the (FedEx) World Hub,” Aur said. “If you order glasses in the morning, they ship that afternoon. If you think about the quantity of orders we are getting, that still astonishes me.”

Fun quote: 

We are getting 10,000 orders a day on our website, and the orders range from 25 pairs of eclipse glasses to 4,000-plus.”

FedEx, which also calls Memphis home, has been helping American Paper Optics keep up with the high demand for the eclipse glasses.

“FedEx has trailers here at our facility, personnel scanning and filling up the trucks and taking them directly to the (FedEx) World Hub,” Aur said. “If you order glasses in the morning, they ship that afternoon. If you think about the quantity of orders we are getting, that still astonishes me.”
Thanks. We just ordered from them an hour ago but I was pessimistic about getting them on time. Sounds like the manufacturer and FedEx are on top of it (both making a killing here...$40 shipping to Nashville area).

Thanks. We just ordered from them an hour ago but I was pessimistic about getting them on time. Sounds like the manufacturer and FedEx are on top of it (both making a killing here...$40 shipping to Nashville area).
Overnight shipping is never cheap... :shrug:  

I paid $30 for standard overnight to Chicago in a Fedex Pak only because we were out of envelopes... would have been ~$20 with a FedEx Envelope.  

The world's largest manufacturer of these glasses are right here in Memphis about 7 minutes from my office (American Paper Optics - dba 3dglassesonline.com or eclipseglasses.com).

They had a stand set up outside their manufacturing facility selling them for about $3ea with an unlimited supply. I grabbed 15 and immediately got hit up for most of them. Shipping 5 to a buddy in chicago. 

Probably going to get more tomorrow at lunch and I guess I could priority overnight some (not cheap) for a few folks Monday AM delivery if anyone is hard up. Just let me know. 

Fun quote: 
Let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread