What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2017 (2 Viewers)

I have a better chance of having Gal Gadot come crashing through the skylight nude and land on my lap than I do of my company ever closing for something like this. I envy you.
Our place of work is going to get nothing done.  Besides some of our folks working the planes tracking the eclipse (studying the corona, imaging Mercury, etc.) our marketing department decided to have an open signup for a eclipse day on our campus.  We had to shut it off at 800 people - way, way more than expected.  Going to be a zoo.  

I think I'm the only person in Nashville not interested in this. 

There was a news story about fake eclipse glasses and the pair they showed looked exactly like ones a coworker was handing out last week. 
Not really something I'm super interested in either.

@Galileo  Any reason my x-ray film filter idea wouldn't work over a phone or tablet camera to watch?

Unfortunately I won't be able to test until Monday morning.  I will do the pin hole box thing, and i know a bunch of people at work have glasses so they might share.
My knee jerk reaction is that this could work, but I have never tried it.  I am not sure how much visible/infrared light passes through the x ray film.  Too much could potentially put the optics of your phone/tablet at risk as it can get pretty hot when the camera lens concentrates the light.  I know unfiltered sun viewing can potentially damage the coatings of lenses or make them so hot that the holders melt.  Between the moon's shadow and the film, I think it would be fine.  Now if the other extreme is true and the x ray film blocks out too much, the optics of your device may not get enough light for an image worth viewing.  Either way, you aren't putting your eyes at risk.  Give it a try and monitor how hot your device is getting.

Okay I'm happy to ship glasses to anyone who needs them. 

CONDITIONS:
1) provide a FedEx label for Sat or Priority AM Monday Delivery.
2) My cost is $3ea+tax (venmo/paypal).
3) DEADLINE: I need to know by 12ish Central Time. 
Glasses received. Thanks GB!

I have a better chance of having Gal Gadot come crashing through the skylight nude and land on my lap than I do of my company ever closing for something like this. I envy you.
I work for a medical device company and we got flagged for a random FDA audit. Some auditor chick will be setting up camp in our conference room for the week.... 

I bought her a pair of glasses that are sitting on the conference room table waiting on her arrival ;)

Got this Solar Filter Sheet and today I'm gonna make some solar filters in preparation for tomorrow. I have 2 lenses for my DSLR, a couple of cell phones and a pair of camera glasses. I pretty much have the method for my camera and cell phones figured out. I just don't know how to attach a piece of this sheet to these glasses. Any ideas? Keep in mind that I am gonna wear these.

Should be fun.

I live in St Louis and expect fun traffic on the way to work. I am only 10 minutes/5 miles from the office, but will be a tough 5 miles tomorrow. 
Loads of fun. I was just outside and the Sun looks like it is nearly directly over my house. I have a pretty good viewing spot right here as I'm roughly 3 miles from the center line as the crow flies. Instead I'll be going away from the center line to attend Total Eclipse of the Park. I'd be willing to bet that this may be the first sellout since Tebow got promoted.

Don't forget to look around a little bit.  Although it will not be night time level of darkness, some of the brighter winter time stars should be visible like Betelgeuse and Sirius...Venus should easily be visible during the eclipse

Anyone in Wyoming?  Am currently in Nebraska, and the weather outlook for tomorrow is iffy.   One plan has us getting up at 4am to drive west.   Wondering about traffic and the number of people already in the area.

Couldn't find any glasses today  :kicksrock:
Haven't read the whole thread, but Home Depot had one welding mask left yesterday for rental.  We had them hold it until we found 2 14 tint (when used with another layer of glasses of goggle) welding goggles instead.  The rack was empty, but the guy there scanned and found a box up on the shelf with 2 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in Wyoming?  Am currently in Nebraska, and the weather outlook for tomorrow is iffy.   One plan has us getting up at 4am to drive west.   Wondering about traffic and the number of people already in the area.
My Facebook feed is full of pics of traffic in I-25 and completely packed camping grounds.

There's a state park directly in the path called Glendo surrounding a reservoir.  Is where we used to go camping in my college age years.  Someone got control of a huge area and opened it up to camping (no utilities): $50/night, 3 night minimum.  Or, pay $150 to park day of.  It's crazy.

ETA: if anyone is headed to WY, I would recommend side roads and look to get more central, near Casper.  Most folks will stop at Glendo as it's the first place i-25 crosses the path but you may be better off going a little further to Douglas or Casper.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are planning on driving to Columbia tomorrow - little over an hour drive.  We are going to be on the road by 7:00am and maybe 6:30.  Zoo won't open until 9:00 but I'm expecting traffic to be bad, as well as we want to be sure we will be able to get in.  I figure the zoo should be perfect - an entry fee will keep put the riff-raff, and there will be plenty to do before and after.  I don't expect we will try to leave until 6:00pm, and traffic will probably be pretty bad.

We have glasses that all claim to be good, and look legit.  Paid $2 @ Lowe's a couple of weeks ago, so we are all set there.

Gonna be an adventure.

I almost hope it rains all day tomorrow. 

My kid's school district is issuing all the high school and middle school students glasses to wear during their bus ride home, and delaying the dismissal time of the elementary aged kids so it will be over since they couldn't get enough glasses for all of them in for the bus.

My wife and daughter are convinced if we let the dog outside she will be harmed somehow. I told them dogs aren't as stupid as people but they aren't buying it. 

It's the frigging moon in front of the sun. It isn't some damn death ray spontaneously blinding all the wildlife on the continent as it passes.

My Facebook feed is full of pics of traffic in I-25 and completely packed camping grounds.

There's a state park directly in the path called Glendo surrounding a reservoir.  Is where we used to go camping in my college age years.  Someone got control of a huge area and opened it up to camping (no utilities): $50/night, 3 night minimum.  Or, pay $150 to park day of.  It's crazy.

ETA: if anyone is headed to WY, I would recommend side roads and look to get more central, near Casper.  Most folks will stop at Glendo as it's the first place i-25 crosses the path but you may be better off going a little further to Douglas or Casper.
3 nights camping in a area filled with people and no utilities?  i.e. toilets?  Yeah, that's gonna get ugly.

Don't forget to look around a little bit.  Although it will not be night time level of darkness, some of the brighter winter time stars should be visible like Betelgeuse and Sirius...Venus should easily be visible during the eclipse
What about Uranus?

The 2024 one comes dead over D/FW area after passing over san antonio and austin. 

Hoping Trump hasn't killed us all by then.

I made my filters and took some practice pictures. I took a sheet of this  and cut out a circle that would fit in between a CPL filter and a UV filter. I also took a piece and taped it on the inside of my phone case covering the camera cut out. Here's some pics. There's definitely a difference between the 2 cameras as far as results.

Filters stacked

Solar filter sheet

Ready to use

On the lens

Here  

Comes

The

Sun

Here's a couple from my cell phone. I may have to double or triple the sheet.

Big

Difference

I will say though, I don't care if I damage my phone. I have a Note 3 and am getting a Note 8 in the next month or so.

I can see the 99.9 % of it from my office tomorrow. Gonna see if I can drive about 3 miles north through side streets to see the totality.

Supposed to be cloudy tomorrow here in KC. Either way it's gonna be cool.

Along the path of totality, some of the best viewing weather appears to be in interior portions of the West, all the way from central Oregon, through Idaho to eastern Wyoming, where the eclipse will occur in late morning.

Though some clouds are possible along the Oregon coast, clear skies are expected in cities such as Salem, Ore.; Boise, Idaho; and Casper, Wyo., according to the National Weather Service. 

The only minor hitch could be occasional smoky skies from wildfires.

In the central U.S., a few clouds and some scattered showers could mar the view in portions of Nebraska and Missouri, but a complete washout isn't likely. This includes Kansas City (where part of the city will see the total eclipse) and St. Louis, which is barely outside the total eclipse area. 

Good viewing is expected for the early afternoon along the path of totality from southeast Missouri and southern Illinois into western Kentucky and most of Tennessee, AccuWeather said.

This includes Nashville, the largest U.S. city that's entirely in the path: "Dry conditions are expected the entire day," and only a few clouds are possible, according to the weather service in Nashville.

Finally, South Carolina may offer some of the worst viewing weather, especially near the coast, where mostly cloudy skies are in the forecast. There is also the potential for "showers and thunderstorms Monday morning and early afternoon," the weather service in Charleston said. 

Elsewhere, most of the entire nation will be able to see the partial eclipse. Areas where clouds could block the view: the Upper Midwest and portions of New Mexico and Florida. 

Clear skies should prevail, however, in much of California, Texas, the Ohio Valley and the Northeast. 

We are planning on driving to Columbia tomorrow - little over an hour drive.  We are going to be on the road by 7:00am and maybe 6:30.  Zoo won't open until 9:00 but I'm expecting traffic to be bad, as well as we want to be sure we will be able to get in.  I figure the zoo should be perfect - an entry fee will keep put the riff-raff, and there will be plenty to do before and after.  I don't expect we will try to leave until 6:00pm, and traffic will probably be pretty bad.

We have glasses that all claim to be good, and look legit.  Paid $2 @ Lowe's a couple of weeks ago, so we are all set there.

Gonna be an adventure.
They are expecting 7,000 to 8,000 at the Riverbanks Zoo tomorrow. They will have a team there studying the behavior of some of the animals. 

I can see the 99.9 % of it from my office tomorrow. Gonna see if I can drive about 3 miles north through side streets to see the totality.

yeah I'm in KC visiting my sister.  clouds are gonna screw us I think :(

Yeah I'm worried about the cloud cover.  Hoping at least it's windy enough to keep the clouds moving.  

Traffic is supposed to be awful tomorrow.  Hallmark granted telecommuting privileges tomorrow to any worker who wanted them.  

Gonna go catch the festivities at my kid's school.  They're doing a viewing party for all the students and staff who want to see it.  

Had I Dodds's nose for supply and demand, I would've bought one of those 1000-packs of glasses and held on the them until last Wednesday.  Could have easily profited $5 a pair when all the stores ran out.

I really can't believe anybody would close for this crap. I had people ask if I was planning on closing the restaurant for it, which seems crazy to me. Some people have to work for a living.

Luckily, I've only got one employee that would possibly care about this, and she's off today anyway.

Any reason why one could not cut eclipse glasses in half so two people can see? Obviously, blocking one eye and viewing with the other. The pirate method. Could only get a hold of one pair but wanted to share. 

Users who are viewing this thread