What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2017 (2 Viewers)

Any reason why one could not cut eclipse glasses in half so two people can see? Obviously, blocking one eye and viewing with the other. The pirate method. Could only get a hold of one pair but wanted to share. 
Or you could pass then back and forth.

But make sure you're quick about it... only have 3+ hours to ensure a good hand off.

Or you could pass then back and forth.

But make sure you're quick about it... only have 3+ hours to ensure a good hand off.
Left out the part that I will be at work and my wife will be home. Thought the level of intelligence of being able to pass them off was assumed, but I guess you can expect anything in here!

Left out the part that I will be at work and my wife will be home. Thought the level of intelligence of being able to pass them off was assumed, but I guess you can expect anything in here!
Well if we are playing that game, then yes, if one of your eyes is covered and not looking at the sun, then it likely won't be injured from looking at the sun. 

Well if we are playing that game, then yes, if one of your eyes is covered and not looking at the sun, then it likely won't be injured from looking at the sun. 
Lol, I guess the IQ here has dropped quite a bit...yes, I know if my eye is covered it will not be damaged.  It seems that I did a poor job phrasing my question. My question is more about the glasses and how they are made. Will the lens stay secured if they are cut in half? I will find out soon enough. 

Don't forget to look around a little bit.  Although it will not be night time level of darkness, some of the brighter winter time stars should be visible like Betelgeuse and Sirius...Venus should easily be visible during the eclipse
so.. kind of like nighttime, right? 

I'm also in KC with office sitting in 100% range near downtown. May head to City Market though - Pink Floyd cover band, solar telescope projection, etc... Move along clouds....

I talked my office into doing a BBQ today, so I will be grilling hot dogs and hamburgers at 11:30 as the eclipse starts.  Then we'll all eat and hang out outside during the peak times (around 1:10).  We are getting 95% coverage here in Springfield, MO.

Hour by hour weather suggests it will be mostly cloudy at that time with 15% chance for rain.  It is partially cloudy right now.  Hoping the sun burns off the clouds and keeps it clear enough to see the sun during the peak time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also in KC with office sitting in 100% range near downtown. May head to City Market though - Pink Floyd cover band, solar telescope projection, etc... Move along clouds....
Hope this rain passes.. we're getting SOAKED here in the KC suburbs

@Gil_Brandt: My son called me from Montana, says the amount of cars there for solar eclipse viewing is like being in NYC during rush hour.

this eclipse, IMO, is such a non event.  what are people expecting for 2 minutes?  overhyped like that dopey ice bucket challenge.  people are such sheep.

Nothing like an eclipse to remind us how amazingly scientifically illiterate the majority of the public is.

just heard a woman ask if it would hurt her eyes watching the eclipse on tv.

I think we're only getting to 63% or something here in Los Angeles but I am actually sort of excited.  Not sure I will go outside though as I found the defective glasses stories disturbing and thus didn't buy any.  

Nothing like an eclipse to remind us how amazingly scientifically illiterate the majority of the public is.

For FBG-level geniuses like us, sure, but for mere mortals that's actually not all that dumb of a question.  

It's been hysterical watching people scramble and fight and whine about getting glasses last second on the local facebook buy, trade and sell pages. 

You mean the ice bucket challenged that raised millions of dollars for ALS research?
why not just donate and keep your mouth shut? we needed videos of people on you tube and celebutards?  i dont argue the cause, i argue the look at me mentality.

leave me alone now, gonna play with my fidget spinner as i wander my neighborhood looking for pokeman while waiting for the eclipse.

Users who are viewing this thread