What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2024 (1 Viewer)

traveled to nebraska for 2017 with the kids. we were worried we would miss it due to clouds. i was going 100+ mph on some two lane highway when suddenly the clouds parted at some hole in the wall restaurant. slammed on the brakes and 2 min later it started. we loved it. Will go to family in texas for next one.
Spring time in NE Ohio for me...This is high probability.
Apparently Avon Lake, OH is a prime spot for this one. https://www.morningjournal.com/2022...olar-eclipse-expected-to-bring-mass-visitors/

They are expecting a million people to show up. For everyone who doesn't know Avon Lake has a population of like 25,000 and is definitely not built to handle a ton of angry people who didn't realize it usually just rains here in NE ohio this time of year. To be fair, it is sunny today on April 8th 2023.

Heh, I need to travel for one of these. The last one we had in the UK was 99 iirc and it only really hit half of Cornwall, and it was cloudy at the time because England. Don't think we get another one until (if) I'm in my nineties

Rented a place in Broken Bow, OK. Flights into Dallas are more expensive than flights to Tahiti :shock: .

Just ordered some glasses and eclipse binoculars. Hopefully those are legit and I won't be blind after. Really pumped for this after the last eclipse was just a few hours away but our toddler at the time woke up really sick the morning we were supposed to drive up there.

Looking forward to it. Flying out to San Antonio for that weekend. Then driving to Fredericksburg, TX area for the main event.

Driving out to my parents’ place in Ohio. They’re right on the edge so we’re planning on driving to the house of a friend of theirs about 30 minutes north to actually see it. Guessing traffic will be a total crap show as the entire East Coast drives to Ohio and back with me.

Funny, we went to one of the websites that will give you all the info and it turns out that from my parents’ house it’s like a 95% eclipse. Drive out of their neighborhood and across the street and it’s a total eclipse for 9 seconds.

Bunch of family headed to Austin then driving out to some spot a bit west of there for the main event. Looking forward to seeing this.

Austin will be nuts I’m sure.

I'm in Denver and none of the last 4 in the US (if you count 2024) have been real close but not too far either. I went to NM for the annular in 2012, had a backpacking spot in the Tetons for 2017, back to NM for the annular last October. And going to NW Arkansas in a couple weeks.

This will be the first one I won't be camping for.

They are advising us to stock up on food as the eclipsers are gonna empty the stores.

Not sure how close I want to get. May drive to Hillsboro.

Live about 45 minutes east of center. May drive to in-laws, not sure. Thought the Guardians had a good idea. Opening day, open the gates early. Watch the eclipse, then the game.

Opting to fly to Texas for better chance of good weather rather than driving to any of the Great Lakes spots. Staying at a friend's place in Austin, although planning on heading west day of to get a bit closer to the centerline.

We were in nowheresville Missouri for the 2017 one and had no traffic issues. A lot more pessimistic on the traffic front for this one lol.

For me, if it's a local bad weather situation, I'll consider driving 100 miles or so day of to try to get to a better viewing spot. If it's more widespread than that it is what it is and I guess I'm looking at clouds. You can find people online who have like 5 hotels booked and plan on trying to cancel / no-show all but one. I can see those types trying to book last minute flights. No idea how plentiful people like that actually are, though.

Early forecast is clear. A front is moving thru the prior weekend but pushed out by a weak high. Most of the path looks to be wide open for now.

People from all over the world are coming to Central Texas as the period of totality maxes out at about 4 min and 25 seconds; and this region has the best forecast (historically) for decent weather. Estimates range from 1-4 million visitors. We are going to a winery where duration is 4 min. Current forecast FWIW is for partly cloudy day.
Kerrville, Fredericksburg and Marble Falls expecting to be inundated with visitors. Most cell towers will be overwhelmed and food should be bought prior to the weekend.

People from all over the world are coming to Central Texas as the period of totality maxes out at about 4 min and 25 seconds; and this region has the best forecast (historically) for decent weather. Estimates range from 1-4 million visitors. We are going to a winery where duration is 4 min. Current forecast FWIW is for partly cloudy day.
Kerrville, Fredericksburg and Marble Falls expecting to be inundated with visitors. Most cell towers will be overwhelmed and food should be bought prior to the weekend.
I’m heading to a winery in Fredericksburg area as well.

So how nuts will it be driving from Austin to somewhere out in the country side to the east morning of this thing?

I am meeting some family in Austin and my Dad who has done a few of these has some spot picked out that is outside of Austin. He has done these before but not in this type of location where big cities are really close by and we are tyring to drive out with a zillion other people - he's usually already way out in the sticks and finds the spot.

Are roads going to be total gridlock?

I'm right in the center of this and I'm going to Kansas on 4/6 and 4/7. They are saying traffic from OK into TX on 4/7 will be a pain in the butt. Can't get any worse on I35 south of OKC than it has been the last 25-35 years. I'll update 4/7 evening. Most hotels in our small town outside of Fort Worth are booked already or rooms are going for 200+ at the Motel 6.

So how nuts will it be driving from Austin to somewhere out in the country side to the east morning of this thing?

I am meeting some family in Austin and my Dad who has done a few of these has some spot picked out that is outside of Austin. He has done these before but not in this type of location where big cities are really close by and we are tyring to drive out with a zillion other people - he's usually already way out in the sticks and finds the spot.

Probably no problem if you are driving East of Austin. Austin is on the edge of totality.
The problems will be going West of Austin to Marble Falls and the hill country (wineries are between Johnson City and Fredericksburg.
This shows state maps of expected traffic. Probably easier to view on iPad/pc:

Probably no problem if you are driving East of Austin. Austin is on the edge of totality.
The problems will be going West of Austin to Marble Falls and the hill country (wineries are between Johnson City and Fredericksburg.
This shows state maps of expected traffic. Probably easier to view on iPad/pc:
Sorry I got directions mixed up...yeah we are going West (northwest actually).

Good info in that site you linked tho, thanks. I am prepared to get stuck on some road and just pull over to watch :lol:

Please be a clear day!

I'm in the 95% totality, that's good enough for me.

The difference between 99% and 100% is 100%.

The effect is basically zero for anything less than 100%. Even at 99% the sky doesn't get darker or anything like that, and there's no halo/ring effect on the sun. The sun just looks a little different if you put on solar shades, but even then it just looks like a crescent moon. It requires full totality for any of the cool effects.

Saw some articles predicting 12-hour gridlock here in upstate NY. We're driving 2 hours to Utica after my daughter gets out of school to go see the USA vs. Canada Women's World Championships hockey game that evening. Utica's not in the 100% zone, so hopefully all the traffic will be going the other way.

This site is the best one I've found to get the specific information for any particular area. You can zoom in and click on an exact location to get all the details for that spot. I'm in Ohio and my house falls right into the totality zone. Not the center of it, so only about a minute and a half of the full eclipse vs the almost four minutes in the center of the zone.

This site is the best one I've found to get the specific information for any particular area. You can zoom in and click on an exact location to get all the details for that spot. I'm in Ohio and my house falls right into the totality zone. Not the center of it, so only about a minute and a half of the full eclipse vs the almost four minutes in the center of the zone.

I get 3m 21.8 s at my house

3m 50.4s

Looks like Texas may not see ****. Could be the nightmare fuel of the rgv being clear but all the rest of 35 being greyed out, starting the traffic jam of the century.

Are roads going to be total gridlock

I'm heading to Arkansas tomorrow to beat the traffic because of how it was in 2017.

It's earlier than I need to go I think 2-3 days early would likely miss all the traffic.

But I can tell you in 2017 rural Wyoming was gridlock for hundreds of miles and they were only really traffic from Colorado since there aren't many other places that made sense to go there for that eclipse. Maybe New Mexico too but that starts to become a big drive.

Looks like Texas may not see ****. Could be the nightmare fuel of the rgv being clear but all the rest of 35 being greyed out, starting the traffic jam of the century.
Certainly seems like a possibility. The forecast the last few days might cause a decent chunk of people to change plans, but if lots of people are in Texas and only a few spots are clear it's going to be a traffic nightmare for sure.

Certainly seems like a possibility. The forecast the last few days might cause a decent chunk of people to change plans, but if lots of people are in Texas and only a few spots are clear it's going to be a traffic nightmare for sure.
So what you're telling me is flying back into Cleveland on Saturday may not be a good idea :lol: Whoda thunk usually cloudy NE Ohio would be better positioned better than Texas? Still may, but forecast started turning favorable yesterday.

So what you're telling me is flying back into Cleveland on Saturday may not be a good idea :lol: Whoda thunk usually cloudy NE Ohio would be better positioned better than Texas? Still may, but forecast started turning favorable yesterday.
Yeah too early to tell for sure and some of the newer runs are a little more pessimistic, but Cleveland and Buffalo look potentially okay, which I would never have guessed. Right now, upstate New York/VT looks like the one place that pretty much all of the runs have as being clear.

Really hoping this one marks the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it. Dare to dream :D

Users who are viewing this thread