What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo: A Star Wars Movie (1 Viewer)

I feel compelled, given the current amount of adulation being heaped at his feet, that Harrison Ford as Han Solo has to be one of the most overrated performances in cinema history.  Did he do a good job, particularly in ESB?  Yes.  Did he portray the character is such a way as to make the role beyond reproach?  As Shuke would say, "oh come on!"

ESB was definitely a good performance.  ANH was meh, up and down, and has some awkward moments.  ROTJ was pretty doofusy.  TFA was clunky and forced.

There, I said it.
Way wrong. Sorry. 

Come on guys and gal. Any new Star Wars movie, or characters related same, has as much to do with ANH as my penis had to do with Cindy Crawford in 1986*.

*Or at any time before or since 1986. 

Holy god that trailer looks like a bucket of dog crap. 

Remember when the Star Trek franchise went and found a talented young actor who nailed Kirk for this next generation of films?  This is the opposite of doing that. 

Eesh. 
If you watch the official trailer and envision it as Kirk, it plays out basically as the same story.

But you do appear to be bound to the hipster "I hate everything to look cool" vibe.
Not at all.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I did not like Ford's performance.  It was one of the best in the entire series.  But, it wasn't a performance we look back at and say "wow, he really should have gotten the Oscar that year, he was robbed" or anything like that.  He did a nice job playing the character, but he didn't create such a memorable persona that was so unique and groundbreaking that it became something unto itself.

Look at it this way, let's put ourselves 50 years into the future.  They finally decide they are going to remake the original trilogy.  Whatever they do with Darth Vader, the voice is most likely going to be some close approximation of James Earl Jones.  The voice, the costume, everything together made one of the most iconic villians of all time film history.  Is Harrison's portrayal so amazing that they will be bound to make some close approximation, or is something that could actually be improved on or brought in a different direction?

Saw a trailer for this one the other day. I know trailers can often be misleading, but this just looks bad. Really bad. Hoping I'm wrong, but Han had absolutely zero charisma coming through in his delivery of his lines or his actions. Yeah, it was only a few seconds and this could still be great and even if it isn't it'll still make lots of money. But the rest of the actors came across as pretty good, while the guy playing Han sounded and looked sooooo boring. 

Went and saw Black Panther this weekend and saw the latest trailer - looks ok but for some reason I’m not nearly as enthused about it as I would have thought.  I loved Han Solo as a kid and I’ve been fairly excited for the latest movies but this one hasn’t drawn me in yet.  Really hoping it’s a good one like Rogue One was.

Its going to be interesting to see how they characterize younger Han - older Han was always a reluctant hero.  It will be weird if younger Han takes on a more heroic persona.

Its going to be interesting to see how they characterize younger Han - older Han was always a reluctant hero.  It will be weird if younger Han takes on a more heroic persona.
That would be pretty stupid. Hopefully there is nothing about saving the galaxy from the empire type stuff. 

How far before Ep 4 is this?

How far before Ep 4 is this?
The trailer gave us a good hint if you don't mind using some now non cannon info.

Chewy's original* birth date is 200 BBY.  The line in the trailer said he was 190 years old.

So this movie looks like it takes place roughly 10 years before the Battle of Yavin (the battle at the end of Star Wars 4, A New Hope).

*Note that until Disney finally releases the official time line, much of this has to be lifted from the old stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
did they redesign the falcon? from what i see them flying around in, it looks like the falcon, but the front is more pointed unlike the forked looking front? 

I really hope thats another ship b/c i hate when they do 'touch ups' like that to existing items. And L-3 robot already annoys me. 

The trailer gave us a good hint if you don't mind using some now non cannon info.

Chewy's original* birth date is 200 BBY.  The line in the trailer said he was 190 years old.

So this movie looks like it takes place roughly 10 years before the Battle of Yavin.

*Note that until Disney finally releases the official time line, much of this has to be lifted from the old stuff.
Uh, that  helped non at all.  Can you just tell us non-nerds how much sooner than the first star wars this takes place?

James Daulton said:
Uh, that  helped non at all.  Can you just tell us non-nerds how much sooner than the first star wars this takes place?
the battle of Yavin was the battle in Star Wars 4.  So this takes place roughly 10 years before that.

glvsav37 said:
did they redesign the falcon? from what i see them flying around in, it looks like the falcon, but the front is more pointed unlike the forked looking front? 

I really hope thats another ship b/c i hate when they do 'touch ups' like that to existing items. And L-3 robot already annoys me. 
The Falcon is some sort of a cargo ship, the famous "gap" at the front of the ship is apparently some sort of cargo attachment port... I think what we've been seeing is a full cargo load on the front.  I imagine there will be a bit of back story covering why we never saw any cargo there before.

Sinn Fein said:
Disagree. We know Han was once heroic, it's how Chewbacca is with him in the first place i.e. Han standing up to an Imperial officer that was about to beat/kill Chewie. What this movie will likely do is tell us why he went from being somewhat heroic to a reluctant hero/cynic. The line from Beckett in the trailer - "expect everyone to betray you, that way you won't be disappointed" is the foreshadowing to this.

:loco:  

And what's BBY?
The Star Wars timeline is defined by the Battle of Yavin (similar to how the earth has used the birth of Christ as a marker in time).

Anything before the Battle of Yavin is referred to as BBY (Before Battle of Yavin) similar to the use of the old form BC (before christ)

Users who are viewing this thread