What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Soon to see Backlash? Trade #1 Pick (1 Viewer)

ajlight

Footballguy
If the Texans decide trading the #1 pick in the upcoming draft is the best course of action, isn't it safe to say that their fanbase will probably cause quite a stir passing up V. Young and R. Bush? The states new "favorite son" has got to be the new frontrunner for the fans choice at who to select, but Reggie Bush still holds quite a bit of value as well.I know the thoughts of the economic impact have been have already been discussed here, and this is a further play on that subject. The question now is can the Texans afford to make such a play (trading the 1st selection all-the-while removing themselves from the VY lottery) and upsetting their fans in the process? Has Vincent Young become too invaluable to pass up both in possible financial impact on the team and physical impact on the field?

If the Texans decide trading the #1 pick in the upcoming draft is the best course of action, isn't it safe to say that their fanbase will probably cause quite a stir passing up V. Young and R. Bush?

The states new "favorite son" has got to be the new frontrunner for the fans choice at who to select, but Reggie Bush still holds quite a bit of value as well.

I know the thoughts of the economic impact have been have already been discussed here, and this is a further play on that subject. The question now is can the Texans afford to make such a play (trading the 1st selection all-the-while removing themselves from the VY lottery) and upsetting their fans in the process? Has Vincent Young become too invaluable to pass up both in possible financial impact on the team and physical impact on the field?
There might be some backlash, but sometimes you have to go with your brain instead of your heart. As a fan, I do not want to look at another two to three years of rebuilding, again.

If the Texans decide trading the #1 pick in the upcoming draft is the best course of action, isn't it safe to say that their fanbase will probably cause quite a stir passing up V. Young and R. Bush?

The states new "favorite son" has got to be the new frontrunner for the fans choice at who to select, but Reggie Bush still holds quite a bit of value as well.

I know the thoughts of the economic impact have been have already been discussed here, and this is a further play on that subject. The question now is can the Texans afford to make such a play (trading the 1st selection all-the-while removing themselves from the VY lottery) and upsetting their fans in the process? Has Vincent Young become too invaluable to pass up both in possible financial impact on the team and physical impact on the field?
There might be some backlash, but sometimes you have to go with your brain instead of your heart. As a fan, I do not want to look at another two to three years of rebuilding, again.
I can respect that (and whole-heartedly agree with that reasoning) but do you believe the more casual fan can see that and come to the same conclusion?

I 2nd what Tattoo said...............screw this rebuilding stuff. It's time to perform like a 5th year franchise, not a team that's been around for 4 full seasons.I think the new HC will find this situation very, very interesting with the #1 pick and what he can get for it.

The Texans fans should be applauding Vince Young , not to be apart of their franchise, but the fact that he raised the value of having the first overall pick even higher than Bush/Leinart......he put the Texans in a very good position, without even playing for them. They should be able to command a very nice pakage for someone seeking the services of the top 3.

The Texans need to do what is best for their franchise - even if that means temporarily pissing off their fanbase.I'll give an NBA example. The Pacers drafted Reggie Miller instead of hometown hero Steve Alford. How do the Pacer fans feel about that decision now?

The Texans need to do what is best for their franchise - even if that means temporarily pissing off their fanbase.

I'll give an NBA example. The Pacers drafted Reggie Miller instead of hometown hero Steve Alford. How do the Pacer fans feel about that decision now?
Houston knows all about passing on hometown talent, especially the Rockets........anyone know who Rashard Lewis is? He was the kid in the green room crying his eyes out when he wasn't drafted by Houston, nor in the 1st round.Look at him now.

And I'm not an NBA fan by anymeans, but I do follow the homegrown talent.

Back to the Texans................carry on!

I asked in another thread what Texans' fans thought of the ownership. Are they the type to try and sell tickets NOW (a la Al Davis), or to build a fan base by winning football games (like the Rooneys), maybe at the expense of fans' favorites (Chad Brown, Gildon etc).

This may be a stupid question, but is there a waiting list for Texans' season tickets? The NFL is such a hot ticket, that I don't think anyone is too worried about pissing their fans off - the tickets will sell. I don't recall hearing of any local blackouts this year due to not selling the game out.

This may be a stupid question, but is there a waiting list for Texans' season tickets? The NFL is such a hot ticket, that I don't think anyone is too worried about pissing their fans off - the tickets will sell. I don't recall hearing of any local blackouts this year due to not selling the game out.
The Texans have a guaranteed sellout for the 1st 10 years of existence. It was part of the agreement.We won't get blackouts until the 11th season. :rolleyes:

I can respect that (and whole-heartedly agree with that reasoning) but do you believe the more casual fan can see that and come to the same conclusion?
Well, they will agree half way through next season when the Texans are working on having the first pick in the draft two years in a row. :D

This team was 7-9 last season. Many thought this season would be another improvement. A lot of what I saw in the losses this season spoke more to poor coaching than it did to being a flat out horrid team. That is not saying the team was not bad or that the TExans did not need actual NFL talent, but I just do not think they were as bad as the record indicated. I personally would lean more towards a franchise playmaker at the first pick who could possibly come in and make an immediate impact. The Texans then have some nice early picks in rounds 2-4, use them to address the MANY other needs. This season the Texans have to do much better in the FA market than in the past. I just do not see how trading down to get this season's "Robert Gallery" or standing pat and taking Young makes an immediate positive impact on the win/loss total. Coach up the players on the team better, draft much smarter, use the FA market better and ####### play the guys in their correct positions. JMHO.

I asked in another thread what Texans' fans thought of the ownership. Are they the type to try and sell tickets NOW (a la Al Davis), or to build a fan base by winning football games (like the Rooneys), maybe at the expense of fans' favorites (Chad Brown, Gildon etc).
I think we have great ownership (I say we, being a fan and all) that is not trying to "win now" just to sell tickets. IMHO, the ownership wants to win because they believe (from what I have heard in radio interviews and such) the team has the "talent" to perform better than it does.

Vince Young will sell a lot of Jerseys for the team that picks him, hopefully it will help pay for the signing bonus

The Texans fans should be applauding Vince Young , not to be apart of their franchise, but the fact that he raised the value of having the first overall pick even higher than Bush/Leinart......he put the Texans in a very good position, without even playing for them. They should be able to command a very nice pakage for someone seeking the services of the top 3.
As should the Titans (though I think it would be hard for TN to pass up on either QB or Bush there)...but with the Jets drafting 4th...the Titans #3 pick became quite valuable to any team needing a QB.

As should the Titans (though I think it would be hard for TN to pass up on either QB or Bush there)...but with the Jets drafting 4th...the Titans #3 pick became quite valuable to any team needing a QB.
Where is the aplauding smiley when you need it.To swap with the Jets would probably net the third rounder they p###ed away on Henry - and they'd still be able to pick a really nice player (preferably OT)

Where is the aplauding smiley when you need it.To swap with the Jets would probably net the third rounder they p###ed away on Henry - and they'd still be able to pick a really nice player (preferably OT)
Yup...swap with the Jets...pick up another pick...and take Ferguson.But...with Volek's status unknown...unknown how long McNair will be able to keep going, it would be so hard to not take Young or Leinart if one of them are there. Especially with the ties to both of them. McNair is good friends with Young, and you have the whole Leinart...Chow combo.

Fans would rather see a winner on the field than have their golden boy running for his life on every passing down.

I remember a few years back thinking that the Lions should trade their 3rd overall, but there was fear of a backlash for passing on Joey Harrington.

Users who are viewing this thread