What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spotify (1 Viewer)

I use www.rdio.com instead... Plenty of free commercial-free music, save the $10. A heavy user may still prefer spotify tho

Anyone use the Spotify app on Google Chrome?

I recently started using Chrome as the browser on my work computer. I have Spotify downloaded on my home computer, but didn't want to download it at work. It seems that I can now have Spotify at work without downloading anything onto the computer.

I recently started using Chrome as the browser on my work computer. I have Spotify downloaded on my home computer, but didn't want to download it at work. It seems that I can now have Spotify at work without downloading anything onto the computer.
Yup. I use it on my Chromebook. It's great.

Why doesn't it have an equalizer?

I was looking for some radio station online and I happened upon a classic rock station playing "Miracles" by Jefferson Airplane and I was amazed how good it sounded. So then I went over to Spotify and compared. It sounded like crap compared to that streaming rock station. Not sure why.

Is it a web clip or a real app?

Why doesn't it have an equalizer?

I was looking for some radio station online and I happened upon a classic rock station playing "Miracles" by Jefferson Airplane and I was amazed how good it sounded. So then I went over to Spotify and compared. It sounded like crap compared to that streaming rock station. Not sure why.
there are third-party plug-ins available for the Windows client

I DL'd the app on Chrome. When I open the app, this appears in the url field: https://play.spotify.com/user/...

So, I don't know what that is, a web clip or a real app.

Last edited by a moderator:

I DL'd the app on Chrome. When I open the app, this appears in the url field: https://play.spotify.com/user/...

That's a web clip. You could get the same functionality by just saving that URL as a favorite.

I absolutely love Spotify and have been a total concert from the iTunes ecosystem for a variety of reasons. Best 10 dollars I spend every month.

My problem? Spotify effed us hard by in the latest release killing off the "What's new?" tab. I used it religiously to keep up with and check out the new albums every week and discover new music. Anyone know why they did this?

See eg http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/What-happened-to-the-quot-What-s-New-quot-tab/td-p/398528
Yeah that's crap, now it's just a giant recommendation that I listen to some Sevendust again
It's basically Pandora now. If I wanted Pandora, I'd have gotten Pandora. Quit recommending that I listen to another album by a band that I'm already listening to. Yes, I know about this band already.

Supposedly the rumor over at their community thread is that people were hammering the new music, and I guess Spotify pays royalties based on listens, and the new music is more expensive, and so they were getting killed. Who knows.
The royalty rate is comically low, like fractions of fractions of a penny. I think I saw something that said 100 million listens garnered 50k for the artist, so only the big names are making any real money from spotify.

I absolutely love Spotify and have been a total concert from the iTunes ecosystem for a variety of reasons. Best 10 dollars I spend every month.

My problem? Spotify effed us hard by in the latest release killing off the "What's new?" tab. I used it religiously to keep up with and check out the new albums every week and discover new music. Anyone know why they did this?

See eg http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/What-happened-to-the-quot-What-s-New-quot-tab/td-p/398528
Yeah that's crap, now it's just a giant recommendation that I listen to some Sevendust again
It's basically Pandora now. If I wanted Pandora, I'd have gotten Pandora. Quit recommending that I listen to another album by a band that I'm already listening to. Yes, I know about this band already.

Supposedly the rumor over at their community thread is that people were hammering the new music, and I guess Spotify pays royalties based on listens, and the new music is more expensive, and so they were getting killed. Who knows.
The royalty rate is comically low, like fractions of fractions of a penny. I think I saw something that said 100 million listens garnered 50k for the artist, so only the big names record labels are making any real money from spotify.
Fixed

That's a web clip. You could get the same functionality by just saving that URL as a favorite.
If I did that, would I have needed to DL Spotify software onto my computer?

Spotify released a web player version earlier this year

Spotify released a web player version earlier this year

No, I have a separate app downloaded from Google app store that runs inside Chrome. I believe it's an app, not just a link to a web page.

If I buy the premium version, am I allowed to put my account on my wife's phone and my phone or will I have to buy 2 accounts?
You can have it everywhere (just use the same login). The catch is, only one device can play music at any time.
Be careful with this. I have it on my ipad as well, and sometimes my wife wants to listen at home. Result? I'm in the middle of a jam at work, and the music stops on my desktop player. :(

They need to work out a "family plan" or something. I'd be willing to pay a bit more to get one or two more devices to play at the same time.

If I buy the premium version, am I allowed to put my account on my wife's phone and my phone or will I have to buy 2 accounts?
You can have it everywhere (just use the same login). The catch is, only one device can play music at any time.
Be careful with this. I have it on my ipad as well, and sometimes my wife wants to listen at home. Result? I'm in the middle of a jam at work, and the music stops on my desktop player. :(
Put my wife on her own account. It was 10 bucks a month. That's like two beers out at a bar.

They need to work out a "family plan" or something. I'd be willing to pay a bit more to get one or two more devices to play at the same time.
Came in to post this, just started my 7 day free trial of Beats Music. Absolutely love it so far, great interface, nice music presentation. I actually like it better than Spotify at first glance, might keep it if I still like it through the trial period.

In regards to your post, you can have up to 5 accounts for $15 a month combined, $10 solo. Also, don't get the trial through the app, I only got 7 days. You can get a month via the website, and up to 3 if you are on AT&T.

http://beatsmusic.com

Came in to post this, just started my 7 day free trial of Beats Music. Absolutely love it so far, great interface, nice music presentation. I actually like it better than Spotify at first glance, might keep it if I still like it through the trial period.

In regards to your post, you can have up to 5 accounts for $15 a month combined, $10 solo. Also, don't get the trial through the app, I only got 7 days. You can get a month via the website, and up to 3 if you are on AT&T.

The only way Beats is interesting to me is if they have a larger, more diverse music library. I have eclectic tastes and want to listen to specific artists and tracks. The PR for Beats all seems to focus on the curating aspect. Beats choosing songs to try to match my mood doesn't provide any added value.

That sux that you can only do that if you are on AT&T. I'm on Verizon. Won't even look at it now since it is now basically no different than Spotify.

you are making the guy that gets to bang Beyonce, and who isn't you, richer.

that's just cruel.

You realize it works for free on mobile?
The ads mess with my groove, man
I typically listen to albums, not just song jumping on spotify. If you click on the next song before the other ends, no ads.
Free is awesome, but for my $10, I like being able to download songs, listen to whatever song I want in the order I want, and never hear another ad.

If Beats proves to be better, I guess I'll move over, but for now I'm sticking with spotify. But they need a desktop app for me to even consider, because much of my listening is at work.

Here is a great article about the streaming players out there and what they all do best. hope it helps.

http://www.imore.com/on-demand-streaming-music-services-compared-spotify-rdio-beats-music-slacker-google-play-music

that's just cruel.
Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine are banging Beyonce too. Where does the line form?

that's just cruel.
she's not just Jay-Z's anymore? My problem with Jay-Z is he's just an average looking dude. Shows what money does for people.

that's just cruel.
she's not just Jay-Z's anymore? My problem with Jay-Z is he's just an average looking dude. Shows what money does for people.
I hope Samuel L. Jackson doesn't read this thread

that's just cruel.
I hope Samuel L. Jackson doesn't read this thread
:o

did i mix someone up with someone else? the reason I ask is because I don't really pay attention to the personal lives of musicians, so I'm really ignorant on the subject of who Beyonce is asking to put a ring on her, or in her, or whatever.

Would love to be able to 'mix' playlists. Not sure if that is the right word, but what I'd like to do is have a couple playlists and then combine them into a third. I'd like to be able to be able to add a song to one of the first playlists and have it show up in the combined one. Like if you had playlists of 80s and 90s songs and then had one that was both. Then if you found an 80s song that you forgot about, you could add it to your 80s list and it would show up in the combo one.

Would love to be able to 'mix' playlists. Not sure if that is the right word, but what I'd like to do is have a couple playlists and then combine them into a third. I'd like to be able to be able to add a song to one of the first playlists and have it show up in the combined one. Like if you had playlists of 80s and 90s songs and then had one that was both. Then if you found an 80s song that you forgot about, you could add it to your 80s list and it would show up in the combo one.
So you would like to add a song to multiple playlists with one click, right? that would be nice..sort of like on goodreads where you can put a book into every list you have in one place.

Have you suggested it?

incidentally, my large playlists seem to have more issues with freezing up than my small ones. i would love to see if this conclusion has any technical basis.

So you would like to add a song to multiple playlists with one click, right? that would be nice..sort of like on goodreads where you can put a book into every list you have in one place.

Have you suggested it?

incidentally, my large playlists seem to have more issues with freezing up than my small ones. i would love to see if this conclusion has any technical basis.
I haven't suggested it, but I probably should!

ETA: That and my desire for a 'Family Plan!' I would have thought harder about moving over to Beats, but I'm not a AT&T Wireless customer and they only offer their family plan to AT&T people. Stupid. I immediately stopped looking as soon as I saw that.

Last edited by a moderator:
They still haven't found a way to search for all playlists containing song ____. Spotify still rules, but the lack of this feature annoys me.

Was just putting together a playlist for the Music draft and was shocked at how many songs just aren't on Spotify. And I'm not talking about tiny little bands and artists that nobody has heard about that haven't produced a record in 20 years. Those I would expect to not be there.

Tied to this is the dismay that you can't share a song of your own via Spotify. I'm sure this has to do with rights and payments to song owners and stuff like that, but it still sux. :kicksrock:

Was just putting together a playlist for the Music draft and was shocked at how many songs just aren't on Spotify. And I'm not talking about tiny little bands and artists that nobody has heard about that haven't produced a record in 20 years. Those I would expect to not be there.

Tied to this is the dismay that you can't share a song of your own via Spotify. I'm sure this has to do with rights and payments to song owners and stuff like that, but it still sux. :kicksrock:
spotify can be strange sometimes. songs appear and disappear seemingly on a whim.

Has anyone else checked out the Spotify DJ feature?
I've enjoyed it as (1) the "DJ" interruptions are very short and (2) it cycles through eras (i.e., might do 5 songs from this year, then 4 or 5 from the 80s).
It focuses on what I seem to like and occasionally throw in a new artist.
I like it because it is a little like what I used to be able to do with Spotify by shuffling through ALL of my playlists at once (I nest my annual playlists under the folder Annual Playlists. Now when I click on Annual Playlists, I just get a list of the yearly playlists I've made. Used to give me the entire list of songs. I miss being able to do that.)

Anyway, I can only seem to access it on my phone (so when I want to list on the PC, I just start playing from the phone - I've got devices and speakers all interconnected on Bluetooth)

Users who are viewing this thread