What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spouse gets hit with fed or state charges, do you try to take the fall? (1 Viewer)

Do you take the charge and the penalty?

• yes

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • no

Votes: 99 90.8%

• Total voters

mr. furley

Footballguy
i think it was a @bigbottom post in the Lori Laughlin thread that made me do this

your wife/husband/significant other gets wrapped up in a criminal case. you may or may not have been aware in advance but are not being charged separately.

do you take the bullet and tell the prosecutor that any criminal activity was actually perpetrated by you to save your spouse? do you plead guilty to any evidence presented by the state/feds?

My wife? Yes, because any "crime" she would commit would have to have been for a noble reason.  She is a better person than I am and more valuable to our kids and society as a whole.  If any decision ever comes down to her or me, she wins every day and twice on Sunday.

I understand the sentiment of your question and find it interesting and fair, and I'll refrain from any further commentary, but in real life the situation of one person trying to take the fall for another is incredibly complicated and rarely works out where one person takes the entirety of the brunt of the allegations and the other person's case is dismissed. So, technically and legally, people should be saying "no" to your poll for a reason you likely didn't anticipate -- that coming forward to profess guilt likely doesn't exonerate your wife or even get her case dismissed so it's a bad strategy for the both of you.

i think it was a @bigbottom post in the Lori Laughlin thread that made me do this

your wife/husband/significant other gets wrapped up in a criminal case. you may or may not have been aware in advance but are not being charged separately.

do you take the bullet and tell the prosecutor that any criminal activity was actually perpetrated by you to save your spouse? do you plead guilty to any evidence presented by the state/feds?
This part seems pretty important in the decision making process here.  

Considering I would lose my job or any other employment prospects in my field with a felony conviction, not a chance. 

For the record, I also make twice what my wife makes.  For the good of our retirement, I would never take the fall for her.  

Did you not see the Shawshank Redemption???  Screw that.  Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.  I will stop by for the occasional conjugal visit though

I understand the sentiment of your question and find it interesting and fair, and I'll refrain from any further commentary, but in real life the situation of one person trying to take the fall for another is incredibly complicated and rarely works out where one person takes the entirety of the brunt of the allegations and the other person's case is dismissed. So, technically and legally, people should be saying "no" to your poll for a reason you likely didn't anticipate -- that coming forward to profess guilt likely doesn't exonerate your wife or even get her case dismissed so it's a bad strategy for the both of you.
Yeah, I don't know dickery about the law, but this seems really dangerous.  Doing something like this would be obstruction of justice, right?  Then both of you go down.  That seems really dumb.

Try to get my spouse the best possible legal counsel and then white knuckle it until she comes out.  :shrug:

I mean if you knew. And said hey knock it off and she didn't and got caught.  That's one thing. She knows you knew.  

Not knowing at all and taking the fall is quite another.  

I'm thinking some sort of credit card identity scam for my example.  Something you could easily cop to as it's all on paper. Not like a murder.

who has the better job?

who has the better job?
Right.. only way I see this even crossing my mind is if she is the provider.

Otherwise I go to jail, and my wife and kids suffer the loss of 3/4's of our family income, and I won't have a job when I get out..  Not a practical choice even if you pretended I wanted to take the fall in the first place.

Yeah, I don't know dickery about the law, but this seems really dangerous.  Doing something like this would be obstruction of justice, right?  Then both of you go down.  That seems really dumb.

Try to get my spouse the best possible legal counsel and then white knuckle it until she comes out.  :shrug:
It may be a few things that could turn out badly for the both of you. It's also very possible that the state would just charge the both of your for the underlying offense.

It's a pretty common misperception, at least in my experience, that John Q. Public seems to think only one person can be charged with a particular crime.  For example, it's very legally possible that multiple people can simultaneously possess the same piece of contraband at the same time.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, seems like it would just end up with both in prison under some kind of accessory charge rather than getting the SO off the hook.

There's no way I'm letting her go to jail and leave me alone with a tantruming toddler 24/7.

Send me away and throw away the key. 

Right.. only way I see this even crossing my mind is if she is the provider.

Otherwise I go to jail, and my wife and kids suffer the loss of 3/4's of our family income, and I won't have a job when I get out..  Not a practical choice even if you pretended I wanted to take the fall in the first place.
in the real world of non celebrity status, I would likely be fired just for being arrested.  there are industries and companies like that.

let's define "it" here  :coffee:

It's a pretty common misperception, at least in my experience, that John Q. Public seems to think only one person can be charged with a particular crime.  For example, it's very legally possible that multiple people can simultaneously possess the same piece of contraband at the same time.  
I've seen movies. That's double jeopardy, bub.

Or maybe final jeopardy...

But some kind of jeopardy for sure.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.  I'll miss you Sunshine. 

Hell, I would take the rap.  Get more sex in prison.

I remember "for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer" but I don't remember anything about prison. So no.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread