What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL2 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

18.15 FUBAR selects Hawkins, Andrew

Obviously he's never going to be a WR1 or even WR2, but this is crazy good value. While this might not be saying much, I would not be the least bit surprised if he leads Cleveland WR's in receiving this year. Assuming Gordon's suspension sticks of course. I can't see Hawkins scoring many TD's though. That's the only reason I drafted Miles Austin. This was an awesome pick as a bye week filler.
Hawkins was on my radar at 18.13 and it was between him, Martavius Bryant (who I took) and Ted Ginn Jr.

More on this later, but the ONLY reason Hawkins is not on my team is because of his bye week (4). I ended up having to make some decisions, one of them being taking a 6th WR and only 1 PK because of some bye week issues with my WR's on board. My only PK has a week 4 bye and so does Manning. I figured with Manning out and my PK, I needed all hands on deck in week (4) so that eliminated Hawkins and Ginn.
also....I'm not actually sure this was "crazy" value....if this is a 20 rounder, I could see Hakins going in the 18th (?)......so just cause it was "last round" here, not sure it's crazy value....haven't looked and not sure where he has gone in the other drafts....and sometimes that doesn't even matter as it only takes one or two guys to like him and it may tip the scales....
Don't know that "crazy" is the right term, but it's solid value. He had an ADP in the 15th, 81st WR taken, in PDSL and before Gordon's probable suspension. Also before Manziel was drafted. Really I don't know if those two aspects helps him much.

But, there's a reason we all avoided him until the end.

[SIZE=11pt]1.04 Peyton Manning QB DEN (4)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]15.04 Chad Henne QB JAC (11)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Added Henne in the 15th. Felt like I was playing chicken with Broadway G for a few rounds as he and I were the only ones with only 1 QB on board for a while. Decided I preferred Henne over Cassel or Fitzpatrick or any of the rooks left. The news about JAC wanting Henne to play all year pretty much sealed the deal. He should at least make it through week 4 even if they change their mind. Again one of the reasons I like to go stud QB early, I didn’t have to sniff QB again until 14 rounds later and still ended up with a starter. I still see people complain about doing the QB2 dance when taking the committee approach and often settling for something cause the QB2 they really wanted didn’t fall to them. They still feel pressured to take one usually and I just think the value dries up there pretty quick and some core guys are still available at other positions. Manning’s early bye week helps; I’d take this combo in every one of these leagues if I knew I could get it going in. Really would have loved to add Donald Brown here as I think he ends up playing more than we think and I thought he offered tremendous value. I almost took him instead of my 12th and 13th rounders (Anderson/Blount), seeing him still available made me wonder what else I could have done at that 12/13 turn had I been able to get Brown here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]6.13 Rashad Jennings RB NYG (8)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]9.04 Khiry Robinson RB NOS (6)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]11.04 Chris Ivory RB NYJ (11)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]12.13 C.J. Anderson RB DEN (4)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]13.04 LeGarrette Blount RB PIT (12)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Since the last write up I have added Anderson and Blount. The DEN backfield is one of the few spots that can really produce two serviceable players. Ball will do most of the heavy lifting, but having the guy that spells him is where fantasy points can be found. Anderson will still get his time, and especially if DEN is in a few blowouts, which I expect them to be. They won’t run Ball into the ground and this offense can score anytime they are on the field. If I was a Ball owner, I would have locked Anderson up, even if it felt early. Blount….I think he also gets more time than people think. Blount and Donald Brown were a couple guys I have been targeting late, haven’t always gotten them, but they were on the radar. This is a shaky group but I usually punt RB, and they all have different bye weeks. We’ll see.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]2.13 Jordy Nelson WR GB (9)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]3.04 Andre Johnson WR HOU (10)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]7.04 Terrance Williams WR DAL (11)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]8.13 Jarrett Boykin WR GB (9)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]10.13 Greg Jennings WR MIN (10) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]18.13 Martavis Bryant WR PIT (12)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Since the last write up I added Bryant in the last round. I felt pretty good about my top 5 so I waited to add the 6th even though I knew I was going to need another body due to the bye week struggles. I like to try and have at least 4 options for the 3 spots each week. I passed on James Jones at the Jennings pick but wanted Jennings more even though Jones had a better bye week. The way I was looking at GB WR’s past and present; I think I even sniffed Sterling Sharpe. As mentioned, Bryant was added in part due to his bye week (12) which fit better than Hawkins or Ginn. Bryant has the athletic skills you look for, tall and fast as ####. Red zone and big play potential. Ben might play jump ball with him every once in a while. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]4.13 Dennis Pitta TE BAL (11)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]5.04 Jordan Reed TE WAS (10)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Nothing really to add here, should be above average.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]14.13 Greg Zuerlein PK STL (4)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Not a fan of rolling with one PK or DST but it is what it is at this point. At least it’s an early bye week and if I can get by it I might be ok. This guy can boot it; STL plays some tough DST that may keep them out of the red zone. Will need to cover a few points here from other positions some weeks even when he isn’t on his bye. Really felt like a 6th WR was more important in the long run than a second PK. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]16.13 Buffalo Bills DST (9)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]17.04 Miami Dolphins (5)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]BUF seemed to be the best available, kinda surprised they were still around. And MIA pick was mostly due to having a bye week that wasn’t 4, 10, or 11. Both these teams get each other twice and the Jets twice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Overall: Pretty much stuck to my usual script except for the one PK thing. By punting RB it often makes me use a spot on a 5th one, which is tough in these 18 roster leagues. The small bye week quandary at WR also contributed to the one PK thing so that double whammy has me behind the 8 ball there. I just thought of all the positions, PK is the one you can maybe ride solo more than others. I feel I am somewhere between above average to well above average at QB/WR/TE. If Jennings plays like an RB1 and Khiry has the impact I think he might, I think between those guys Ivory, Anderson, and Blount I should be able to get a couple decent scores each week. I’ll have 4 cracks at 2 scores 5 weeks and 5 cracks at two scores 12 weeks. Hopefully manning covers PK and RB when needed. If I had to do it all over again, in retrospect I may have passed on Reed and gambled on another TE later as I think some decent guys fell further than I thought they would, but in a 2 PPR for TE league, I’m not gonna beat myself up over that. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Enjoyed it boys, especially the pace, we kicked some serious ### and I thought we used MFL the way it should be. I think there was a great balance there and everybody seemed to pick each other up and help post when needed, pre-draft picks were used to perfection. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] :suds: [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Stinkin Ref said:
[SIZE=11pt]Enjoyed it boys, especially the pace, we kicked some serious ### and I thought we used MFL the way it should be. I think there was a great balance there and everybody seemed to pick each other up and help post when needed, pre-draft picks were used to perfection. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] :suds: [/SIZE]
I agree, the pace of the SSL2 draft was great. I couldn't have asked for a better group of drafters.

18.15 FUBAR selects Hawkins, Andrew

Obviously he's never going to be a WR1 or even WR2, but this is crazy good value. While this might not be saying much, I would not be the least bit surprised if he leads Cleveland WR's in receiving this year. Assuming Gordon's suspension sticks of course. I can't see Hawkins scoring many TD's though. That's the only reason I drafted Miles Austin. This was an awesome pick as a bye week filler.
Hawkins was on my radar at 18.13 and it was between him, Martavius Bryant (who I took) and Ted Ginn Jr.

More on this later, but the ONLY reason Hawkins is not on my team is because of his bye week (4). I ended up having to make some decisions, one of them being taking a 6th WR and only 1 PK because of some bye week issues with my WR's on board. My only PK has a week 4 bye and so does Manning. I figured with Manning out and my PK, I needed all hands on deck in week (4) so that eliminated Hawkins and Ginn.
also....I'm not actually sure this was "crazy" value....if this is a 20 rounder, I could see Hakins going in the 18th (?)......so just cause it was "last round" here, not sure it's crazy value....haven't looked and not sure where he has gone in the other drafts....and sometimes that doesn't even matter as it only takes one or two guys to like him and it may tip the scales....
Don't know that "crazy" is the right term, but it's solid value. He had an ADP in the 15th, 81st WR taken, in PDSL and before Gordon's probable suspension. Also before Manziel was drafted. Really I don't know if those two aspects helps him much.

But, there's a reason we all avoided him until the end.
When I determine the value of the pick, ADP means nothing to me. If a players ADP is round 6 and I can get him in round 8-9, that's only good value if I like the player. Drafting a player because his ADP says you should usually doesn't work out for you. Trust your gut and draft the players to help you win championships. Nobody gets any awards for the all value team. I use my projection for a player and compare it to where he was drafted. Hawkins was drafted as the 93rd WR. I see no reason he can't be a top 50 WR in ppr. To me that is crazy good value.

Last edited by a moderator:
The luck factor in ff, especially in a group of good drafters, is huge. Not using ADP to gain advantage is a mistake IMO. And by ADP, I mean when you think your group will draft the player.

The luck factor in ff, especially in a group of good drafters, is huge. Not using ADP to gain advantage is a mistake IMO. And by ADP, I mean when you think your group will draft the player.
If you can use this to perfection, it is a huge advantage. If your drafting with experienced drafters as we always are, more times than not, the player I wanted is sniped a few picks before I was on the clock. If I would have taken him a round earlier than his ADP, I would have been much better off for it. Some good value always falls threw the cracks, but many times I missed out on guys I wanted because I paid too much attention to ADP.

Users who are viewing this thread