What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Start 2 QB Leagues -- SCORING (1 Viewer)

BRONG

FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY
12 team redraft

scoring suggestions?

roster limits...

ADP anywhere?

do's and don'ts

rules suggestions

etc.

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my first one last year but I was taking over a dynasty team (w/ crap QBs BTW), and I spent my first pick 1.1 on Matt Leinart. Basically, if you start 2 QBs, they are the most valuable players in the game. Having a top-flight QB and a solid QB2 is totally key. Unless you start 3 RBs QBs are the guys. However, I haven't done a comparison on the dropoff differences once you get past the big 5 at QB and RB (Manning, Palmer, Brady, Bulger, Brees; LT, LJ, SJax, SA, Gore) so that deserves a look. In a 12-team league almost the entire league will be starting at QB. Only 8 QBs won't be starting for teams.

I'd be interested to see a redraft, but basically since QBs score the most points and in a 2-QB league they are the scarcest position in the NFL, and should be drafted early. I could see a redraft going something like this:

1. P. Manning

2. Carson Palmer

3. LT

4. Tom Brady

5. Sjax

6. Drew Brees

7. Marc Bulger

8. LJ

9. SA

10. Gore

11. McNabb

12. QB of choice

I did my first one last year but I was taking over a dynasty team (w/ crap QBs BTW), and I spent my first pick 1.1 on Matt Leinart. Basically, if you start 2 QBs, they are the most valuable players in the game. Having a top-flight QB and a solid QB2 is totally key. Unless you start 3 RBs QBs are the guys. However, I haven't done a comparison on the dropoff differences once you get past the big 5 at QB and RB (Manning, Palmer, Brady, Bulger, Brees; LT, LJ, SJax, SA, Gore) so that deserves a look. In a 12-team league almost the entire league will be starting at QB. Only 8 QBs won't be starting for teams. I'd be interested to see a redraft, but basically since QBs score the most points and in a 2-QB league they are the scarcest position in the NFL, and should be drafted early. I could see a redraft going something like this:1. P. Manning2. Carson Palmer3. LT4. Tom Brady5. Sjax6. Drew Brees7. Marc Bulger8. LJ9. SA10. Gore11. McNabb12. QB of choice
Um no.

12 team dynasty 2qb league.. 3pt passing td, 1 pt/20 yards pass.. manning went at 7 last year, brady went in the 2nd, mcnabb, palmer, bulger in 3rd.. huge qb run from rounds 4-6.. after round 6 most teams had 2 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr.

I did my first one last year but I was taking over a dynasty team (w/ crap QBs BTW), and I spent my first pick 1.1 on Matt Leinart. Basically, if you start 2 QBs, they are the most valuable players in the game. Having a top-flight QB and a solid QB2 is totally key. Unless you start 3 RBs QBs are the guys. However, I haven't done a comparison on the dropoff differences once you get past the big 5 at QB and RB (Manning, Palmer, Brady, Bulger, Brees; LT, LJ, SJax, SA, Gore) so that deserves a look. In a 12-team league almost the entire league will be starting at QB. Only 8 QBs won't be starting for teams. I'd be interested to see a redraft, but basically since QBs score the most points and in a 2-QB league they are the scarcest position in the NFL, and should be drafted early. I could see a redraft going something like this:1. P. Manning2. Carson Palmer3. LT4. Tom Brady5. Sjax6. Drew Brees7. Marc Bulger8. LJ9. SA10. Gore11. McNabb12. QB of choice
Um no.
:ptts: In JPs article it didnt look too much different then a start 1 QB league

I have been in a 2 QB league for several seasons. What I find is that the running backs go very early still but the QBs are usually taken as follow:

Manning will go mid to late first round

Palmer in second round (brees will go there in my league this season as well)

probably the following will go late second round: Bulger, Brady, McNabb (if healthy)

3rd round will be Hasselbeck, Vince Young, and maybe even Romo, Leinart, Kitna, Eli, Rivers

the next QB run will be in the 5th round and will incluce Rothlisberger, Delhomme, Favre, McNair

people take their second QBs in the 5th and 6th round and an occassional one slips till later. In a 2 QB league, you want to get one of the top 8-10 QBs in the first 3 rounds and generally grab your second in the 5th round.

thanks for the input

what about ADP? Seeing some conflicting info above on that. Still can't find a site with it.

And looking at scoring, how should QB's scoring be changed, if at all?

2 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE K D

1 PPR

How about 2 PPR for TE?

thanks

My league is 10 teams and we start:

2 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 PK

1 DT

4pt passing TDs, 1pt per 25 passing yards, -1 for INTs

6pt rush/rec TDs. 1pt per 10 rush/rec yards, 1pt per reception

The top 20 QBs, top 20 RBs, and top 30 WRs are fairly balanced with this system. A team with weak QBs can make up with stronger RBs or WRs, etc, etc.

ADP is similar to doomsdaydoc's post above. Last year Manning went late 1st, then Palmer and McNabb in the 2nd, Culpepper, Brady and some others in rounds 3 and 4, then a short run in round 5. RBs still dominate the first due to scarcity. CJ and Holt routinely late 1st, early 2nd, and the rest of top receivers go here and there over the next few rounds.

doomsdaydoc said:
I have been in a 2 QB league for several seasons. What I find is that the running backs go very early still but the QBs are usually taken as follow:Manning will go mid to late first roundPalmer in second round (brees will go there in my league this season as well)probably the following will go late second round: Bulger, Brady, McNabb (if healthy)3rd round will be Hasselbeck, Vince Young, and maybe even Romo, Leinart, Kitna, Eli, Riversthe next QB run will be in the 5th round and will incluce Rothlisberger, Delhomme, Favre, McNairpeople take their second QBs in the 5th and 6th round and an occassional one slips till later. In a 2 QB league, you want to get one of the top 8-10 QBs in the first 3 rounds and generally grab your second in the 5th round.
Very :thumbup: .I've been in a start 2 league for about 7-8 years and this is pretty much exactly how our draft goes every season. WR's are usually the ones who fall according to ADP. The top couple of tiers go around their ADP but once you get to WR15 or so, they start to fall because people are gobbling up QB's.

Should not have more than 10 teams. Need 3 qbs per team.
Yeah, but I have also read where you have to be practically not paying attention to have a week where you don't have a starter. I read that it happens only a few times a year. Basically, we'd be saying tough luck to the owner(s) caught sleeping in this instance.Does anybody know for sure exactly how this could affect us? There must be plenty of 12 team 2 QB leagues out there.thanks

Yeah, but I have also read where you have to be practically not paying attention to have a week where you don't have a starter. I read that it happens only a few times a year. Basically, we'd be saying tough luck to the owner(s) caught sleeping in this instance.Does anybody know for sure exactly how this could affect us? There must be plenty of 12 team 2 QB leagues out there.thanks
Well there are only 32 starting quarterbacks, so there's no way for 12 teams to have 3 starters each.Also, last year the NFL began having two weeks with 6 teams on bye, meaning only 26 quarterbacks to go around. It would be nearly impossible for all 12 teams to draft and make trades exactly as needed for everyone to be covered on those weeks. If you go with a mandatory start 2 quarterbacks set-up with 12 teams, be prepared for a massive whining around week 6.

12 teamer start 2qbs. Lots of teams dump marginal qb's for draft picks if they have one of their studs on bye early. You'll see grossman go for a 4th next year around week 6 to a team with qb problems. some times you cant get a deal done and you go with one qb for a week. Sometimes you win with one qb playing, i've seen it all in this format.

It's easy to plug 2 QBs into the FBG VBD Excel spreadsheet and get a listing. In my start 2 QB, 12 team league, it goes as follows:

LT

SJax

LJ

Gore

Peyton

The next QB is Tom Brady at #15 followed by Palmer at 17.

Of course, this all depends on the assumption that you believe the FBG projections.

Well there are only 32 starting quarterbacks, so there's no way for 12 teams to have 3 starters each.Also, last year the NFL began having two weeks with 6 teams on bye, meaning only 26 quarterbacks to go around. It would be nearly impossible for all 12 teams to draft and make trades exactly as needed for everyone to be covered on those weeks. If you go with a mandatory start 2 quarterbacks set-up with 12 teams, be prepared for a massive whining around week 6.
We're going with a 14 team, 2 QB league. :cry: Yes, I suspect there will be whining. I'm sure we'll find a way to get over it. Using DD, only Peyton is a 1st rounder, Brady and Palmer go in the 2nd. Pretty big cluster of QBs in the 4th - 7th rounds. But, the lineup includes 2 RBs, 2 WRs and 4 flex - so it's pretty well rounded and deep IMO.

We're going with a 14 team, 2 QB league. :thumbup: Yes, I suspect there will be whining. I'm sure we'll find a way to get over it. Using DD, only Peyton is a 1st rounder, Brady and Palmer go in the 2nd. Pretty big cluster of QBs in the 4th - 7th rounds. But, the lineup includes 2 RBs, 2 WRs and 4 flex - so it's pretty well rounded and deep IMO.
With 14 teams and so many flex spots, why not just start 1 QB and have a super flex (QB/RB/WR/TE) ? I've been a vocal supporter of 2 QB leagues for several years so it's great to see more people trying it, but in my experience doing it with more than 10 teams creates more drama than it's worth.

I run a 12 team league and we use the 2nd QB starting spot as a flex position. Start 1 Qb 1 Rb 3 WR and so on, with 2 FLEX. You have the option to start 2 QB if you can. If bye weeks hurt you can add 2 RBs, 1RB/1WR/ or 2WR. It makes for an interesting draft. Obviously you want to start 2 QBs, but in case of injuries/bye weeks, you have options. Every year the draft changes and people try different strategies. RBs, still go off the board, but not like start 1 QB leagues.

I run and play in a 12 team league that starts 2 QBs.

Everyone has managed to field a starting QB each week. It is called trading.

I would also add that I still wait to take my QBs until at least 10 are off the board. There is just not much difference between QB6 and QB16.

Finally, we start 2 QB, 2 RB, and 4 WR. It works out extremely well. No flex, no PPR, yet WRs are appropriately valued through supply and demand.

I run and play in a 12 team league that starts 2 QBs.Everyone has managed to field a starting QB each week. It is called trading.
It's also called "more than 32 QBs will start for NFL teams each year due to benchings and injuries".

Uruk-Hai said:
ookook said:
I run and play in a 12 team league that starts 2 QBs.Everyone has managed to field a starting QB each week. It is called trading.
It's also called "more than 32 QBs will start for NFL teams each year due to benchings and injuries".
True that.

Ok, so what would stop someone from taking Manning and Palmer at the 1.10 and 2.03 in a redraft? You'd have the two highest scoring QBs in the league. Must be the fact that I play in a league where QBs way outscore every other position. I think LT and LJ were the only two backs in the top ten in scoring.

2QB and 2RB is quite different from 2QB and 3RB. However, in either one, the top three picks or so are still RB.

While QBs do become scarce, their drop-off pattern remains pretty linear, which means that you don't get a lot of bang for your buck once you get past the first 5-8 QBs. In addition, the lowest-ranked QBs going into the season nearly always outproduce their position. For example, last year, QBs like Rex Grossman, Alex Smith, and Chad Pennington were in the bottom five. However, the reality is that the QBs who wind up in the bottom-five by production are those who don't manage to stay healthy.

In a 2QB 12-teamer, you're going to see most teams take at least one QB in the first three rounds, and two QBs by round six or so.

Thanks for all the info, appreciate it.

Giving this a Friday bump in case there is anything else to add.

We're going with a 14 team, 2 QB league. :lmao: Yes, I suspect there will be whining. I'm sure we'll find a way to get over it. Using DD, only Peyton is a 1st rounder, Brady and Palmer go in the 2nd. Pretty big cluster of QBs in the 4th - 7th rounds. But, the lineup includes 2 RBs, 2 WRs and 4 flex - so it's pretty well rounded and deep IMO.
With 14 teams and so many flex spots, why not just start 1 QB and have a super flex (QB/RB/WR/TE) ? I've been a vocal supporter of 2 QB leagues for several years so it's great to see more people trying it, but in my experience doing it with more than 10 teams creates more drama than it's worth.
Because yahoo doesn't allow it and I want to start 2 QBs. :lmao:

I dont' recall the stats from last year, but in 2005 someone posted in the SP that over 50 QBs started at least one game in 2005.Not exactly your votes of confidence, but having 12 teams and starting 2 is possible. It's rough though come bye weeks.People will also horde the backups to their starters (or at least should if they can w/ roster space). The WW will be virtually useless for a decent option.Trading will go up though.Others will recommend "Superflex" (Start 1 QB and have a flex spot that can be a QB, RB, WR, or TE).Lastly, the "well, RBs are scarce too" argument doesn't fly. NFL teams don't just have 1 RB in the game 100% of the time - but QBs are in there for every play roughly 90+% of the time (if healthy). So if 32 QBs start in Week 1, the likelihood of any other QB playing in Week 1 other than those 32 is very low. That's not true of the 32 starting RBs.

still no one has answered my question of why you wouldn't take Manning in the first and Palmer in the second, fill in Rbs and Wrs as needed, and sail to a championship. I don't feel like doing the math but it seems like that combo would the highest scoring combo you could come out of the first two rounds with. I mean, you're not going to get LT and another really solid back like Westy or Rudi, much less someone like SA, so why not go with the two highest scoring QBs?

It makes sense to me, add to it the fact that even during bye weeks your starting a stud QB. I like it. Grab 2 RB in the 3 and 4 rounds, fill in the rest. Wait for the huge QB run and grab your 3rd one. Sound strategy imo.

still no one has answered my question of why you wouldn't take Manning in the first and Palmer in the second, fill in Rbs and Wrs as needed, and sail to a championship. I don't feel like doing the math but it seems like that combo would the highest scoring combo you could come out of the first two rounds with. I mean, you're not going to get LT and another really solid back like Westy or Rudi, much less someone like SA, so why not go with the two highest scoring QBs?
Okay, I will take this one: It is because the value of a player is not based on total points scored but is relative to the points scored by other players of the same position that you could get if you wait.If you multiply all kickers' scoring by 100 would you take two kickers first? No. Why, because there will be others almost as good out there later, especially after most people have theirs.The difference in projected points between QB2 (Palmer) and QB15 (Rivers) is only about 57 pts for the season, but the difference between RB2 (Jackson) and RB15 (Portis) is about 136 pts. What this means is you will lose more points by taking QBs early and waiting on RBs than if you took RBs early and waited on QBs. Note: The exception here is Manning. He is worth a late 1st in start 2 QB leagues, IMHO.Last year in our start 2 QB leauge, you could get Favre in round 11 and Kitna or Rivers in round 12. Rex Grossman in the 15th. By the time most teams had 2 QBs in the 6th, I had 3 RBs (Jackson, Parker, Foster) and 4 WRs (Owens, Evans, Stallworth, Walker) and pieced togethor QBs later (ended up Warner/Leinhart, Kitna, and Losman, all after round 10).

It all about the scoring system. With 6pt passing TDs and no PPR, yes, taking Manning and Palmer in rounds 1 and 2 would be a solid strategy (assuming they’re available). But unfortunately most 2QB leagues worth their salt will use 4pt passing TDs and/or PPR, which means the QBs aren't going to dominate as you might think. This applies mostly to 10-teamers though, where every team is going to have 2 starters each week. In a larger league you might just try it and see what happens.

Okay, I will take this one: It is because the value of a player is not based on total points scored but is relative to the points scored by other players of the same position that you could get if you wait.If you multiply all kickers' scoring by 100 would you take two kickers first? No. Why, because there will be others almost as good out there later, especially after most people have theirs.The difference in projected points between QB2 (Palmer) and QB15 (Rivers) is only about 57 pts for the season, but the difference between RB2 (Jackson) and RB15 (Portis) is about 136 pts. What this means is you will lose more points by taking QBs early and waiting on RBs than if you took RBs early and waited on QBs. Note: The exception here is Manning. He is worth a late 1st in start 2 QB leagues, IMHO.Last year in our start 2 QB leauge, you could get Favre in round 11 and Kitna or Rivers in round 12. Rex Grossman in the 15th. By the time most teams had 2 QBs in the 6th, I had 3 RBs (Jackson, Parker, Foster) and 4 WRs (Owens, Evans, Stallworth, Walker) and pieced togethor QBs later (ended up Warner/Leinhart, Kitna, and Losman, all after round 10).
:thumbup: I was going to get into that too but didn't feel like typing it all

It all about the scoring system. With 6pt passing TDs and no PPR, yes, taking Manning and Palmer in rounds 1 and 2 would be a solid strategy (assuming they’re available). But unfortunately most 2QB leagues worth their salt will use 4pt passing TDs and/or PPR, which means the QBs aren't going to dominate as you might think. This applies mostly to 10-teamers though, where every team is going to have 2 starters each week. In a larger league you might just try it and see what happens.
Still no. In 6pts/TD and no PPR, there are at least 8 to 10 RBs that should be taken in from of Manning, and 20 or so in front of Palmer.

The biggest change that I've noticed from playing in a 2 QB league is you can't really sit on QB's you think will breakout and many people will consider taking back to back QB in the later rounds. Considering almost everyone will take the QB's a round or two earlier than in normal 1 QB redraft, it's important to keep track of any QB runs. Unlike a single QB format, if you get the short end of the stick you'll be looking at purely rookies or back-ups rather than 'guys I don't really like'.

Something I do is temper my expectations of the younger QB's when drafting though. In a 1 QB format it's not so bad to play musical QB, but in a 2-start format then it becomes a real pain in the ### to try and replace a guy you took that's struggling. Consistency is pretty key if you can afford to look for it.

Ok, so what would stop someone from taking Manning and Palmer at the 1.10 and 2.03 in a redraft?
here's what would stop it .... Manning won't be there at 1.10

OK, this is what I was talking about. I just got the league up from last year and of the top 25 scorers, only LT (454), Sjax (371), LJ (353) and Gore (295) were in the top 25. (USING LAST YEARS NUMBERS IN PLACE OF PROJECTIONS) So LT outscored the 4th best RB by 150 points, and the 24th best by 300. Manning outscored the 24th best QB by only 255, so I get why LT should go ahead of Manning.

But let's say you're drafting at 6, and you're looking at Manning and Westy. Then you're looking at 255 points of separation vs worst starter @ QB vs. only 137 vs worst starter @ RB. So you take Manning. So let's say this draft goes about as predicted, and Palmer gets taken at the turn but other than that it's RBs and a few stud WRs. So on the comeback you're looking at your choice of Bulger and Brees, both who had 203 pts of separation vs the worst starter, vs someone like MJD who had only 93 points of separation vs the worst starter. So, in both spots in the first round, drafting from the 6, the principles of VBD tell you to take the QB and their greater separation against the worst starter.

As you all stated the stud RBs still go in the first and most of the second, meaning that by the time you have your two starting stud QBs, your competition will likely be looking in that direction and you can grab some undervalued RBs. If only 3 QBs go in the first two rounds, that means that guys who offer big separation will still be out there (McNabb, Bulger/Brees, Brady, Kitna, possibly Young). You'd definitely be picking from the worst Rbs available but if you got lucky on one, knowing that your QB combo will beat just about anyone else's in the league by about 10-15 points per week, that's not bad, especially if you can hit on a sleeper or two. Not trying to convince anyone, but food for thought.

I've been in a ten team, start 2 QB league since 2001 (that was around for years before) with the following QB scoring: 1 pt/20 yds pass, 4 pts/TD, 5 pt bonus over 300 yds, -1 (or -2; it has changed) for an INT. For what it's worth, here's how the past five years have gone in terms of cumulative number of players taken by the end of each of the first five rounds:

9 RB, 1 QB (Round 1)

14 RB, 3 QB, 3 WR (Round 2)

16 RB, 5 QB, 9 WR (Round 3)

18 RB, 9 QB, 13 WR (Round 4)

19 RB, 15 QB, 16 WR (Round 5)

8 RB, 2 QB

15 RB, 3 QB, 2 WR

17 RB, 7 QB, 6 WR

19 RB, 11 QB, 10 WR

22 RB, 14 QB, 14 WR

7 RB, 3 QB

12 RB, 4 QB, 4 WR

16 RB, 9 QB, 5 WR

18 RB, 14 QB, 8 WR

19 RB, 15 QB, 16 WR

10 RB

14 RB, 3 QB, 3 WR

18 RB, 7 QB, 5 WR

18 RB, 13 QB, 9 WR

20 RB, 15 QB, 15 WR

4 RB, 4 QB, 2 WR

12 RB, 5 QB, 3 WR

13 RB, 11 QB, 6 WR

17 RB, 12 QB, 11 WR

20 RB, 15 QB, 15 WR

AVERAGES:

Round One 7.6 RB, 2 QB, 0.4 WR

Round Two 13.4 RB, 3.6 QB, 3 WR

Round Three 16 RB, 7.8 QB, 6.2 WR

Round Four 18 RB, 11.8 QB, 10.2 WR

Round Five 20 RB, 14.8 QB, 15.2 WR

Overall, it's still pretty imperative that you get the stud RBs early, but you also don't want to let the QB run pass you by. You can still do well getting your QBs in Round 4 or later (I did last year), but it's a lot riskier to wait that long.

Cajun Heat said:
I've been in a ten team, start 2 QB league since 2001 (that was around for years before) with the following QB scoring: 1 pt/20 yds pass, 4 pts/TD, 5 pt bonus over 300 yds, -1 (or -2; it has changed) for an INT. For what it's worth, here's how the past five years have gone in terms of cumulative number of players taken by the end of each of the first five rounds:

9 RB, 1 QB (Round 1)

14 RB, 3 QB, 3 WR (Round 2)

16 RB, 5 QB, 9 WR (Round 3)

18 RB, 9 QB, 13 WR (Round 4)

19 RB, 15 QB, 16 WR (Round 5)

8 RB, 2 QB

15 RB, 3 QB, 2 WR

17 RB, 7 QB, 6 WR

19 RB, 11 QB, 10 WR

22 RB, 14 QB, 14 WR

7 RB, 3 QB

12 RB, 4 QB, 4 WR

16 RB, 9 QB, 5 WR

18 RB, 14 QB, 8 WR

19 RB, 15 QB, 16 WR

10 RB

14 RB, 3 QB, 3 WR

18 RB, 7 QB, 5 WR

18 RB, 13 QB, 9 WR

20 RB, 15 QB, 15 WR

4 RB, 4 QB, 2 WR

12 RB, 5 QB, 3 WR

13 RB, 11 QB, 6 WR

17 RB, 12 QB, 11 WR

20 RB, 15 QB, 15 WR

AVERAGES:

Round One 7.6 RB, 2 QB, 0.4 WR

Round Two 13.4 RB, 3.6 QB, 3 WR

Round Three 16 RB, 7.8 QB, 6.2 WR

Round Four 18 RB, 11.8 QB, 10.2 WR

Round Five 20 RB, 14.8 QB, 15.2 WR

Overall, it's still pretty imperative that you get the stud RBs early, but you also don't want to let the QB run pass you by. You can still do well getting your QBs in Round 4 or later (I did last year), but it's a lot riskier to wait that long.
:confused: Thanks for sharing.

We're going with a 14 team, 2 QB league. :wall: Yes, I suspect there will be whining. I'm sure we'll find a way to get over it. Using DD, only Peyton is a 1st rounder, Brady and Palmer go in the 2nd. Pretty big cluster of QBs in the 4th - 7th rounds. But, the lineup includes 2 RBs, 2 WRs and 4 flex - so it's pretty well rounded and deep IMO.
yes, anything more than 10 teams and that 2nd qb slot has to be a flex. I am run 2qb leagues - a ten team and a 12 team and thats how we do it for the 12 teamer.

its been done and with much success in our 10 team league. the guy at the turn took Manning and Culpepper (when he had that big year) and i think he won the league that year. But the problem is that you do need some balance, because QB's can go into horrendous season threatening slumps. The year I got Peyton, he was off to a horrible start, which really screwed my team over that year. While the qb can score huge on a weekly basis, its never a given, so most owners in the league have learned to balance a good RB and WR in the mix in the early rounds.Also, Manning will inevitably go before the turn as someone else said, so it just wouldn't happen anymore, at least not in a 2qb league where people know what they are doing.

OK, this is what I was talking about. I just got the league up from last year and of the top 25 scorers, only LT (454), Sjax (371), LJ (353) and Gore (295) were in the top 25. (USING LAST YEARS NUMBERS IN PLACE OF PROJECTIONS) So LT outscored the 4th best RB by 150 points, and the 24th best by 300. Manning outscored the 24th best QB by only 255, so I get why LT should go ahead of Manning. But let's say you're drafting at 6, and you're looking at Manning and Westy. Then you're looking at 255 points of separation vs worst starter @ QB vs. only 137 vs worst starter @ RB. So you take Manning. So let's say this draft goes about as predicted, and Palmer gets taken at the turn but other than that it's RBs and a few stud WRs. So on the comeback you're looking at your choice of Bulger and Brees, both who had 203 pts of separation vs the worst starter, vs someone like MJD who had only 93 points of separation vs the worst starter. So, in both spots in the first round, drafting from the 6, the principles of VBD tell you to take the QB and their greater separation against the worst starter. As you all stated the stud RBs still go in the first and most of the second, meaning that by the time you have your two starting stud QBs, your competition will likely be looking in that direction and you can grab some undervalued RBs. If only 3 QBs go in the first two rounds, that means that guys who offer big separation will still be out there (McNabb, Bulger/Brees, Brady, Kitna, possibly Young). You'd definitely be picking from the worst Rbs available but if you got lucky on one, knowing that your QB combo will beat just about anyone else's in the league by about 10-15 points per week, that's not bad, especially if you can hit on a sleeper or two. Not trying to convince anyone, but food for thought.
The flaw in the otherwise-solid analysis is that DVBD really requires you to look the full draft ahead, not just one round. I've never understood why people put so much faith in DVBD taht looks ahead one round. In any case, the point is that you may lose a few points at QB by not taking Bulger/Brees, but the difference between what you'll get from MJD (using your example) and what you'll get from the guy you take in the third may be bigger than the difference between Bulger/Brees and whichever QB you would take in the third if you take MJD in the second. I strongly agree though that the third through fifth rounds continue to have good sleeper RBs available in 2-QB leagues.
We're going with a 14 team, 2 QB league. :lmao: Yes, I suspect there will be whining. I'm sure we'll find a way to get over it. Using DD, only Peyton is a 1st rounder, Brady and Palmer go in the 2nd. Pretty big cluster of QBs in the 4th - 7th rounds. But, the lineup includes 2 RBs, 2 WRs and 4 flex - so it's pretty well rounded and deep IMO.
yes, anything more than 10 teams and that 2nd qb slot has to be a flex. I am run 2qb leagues - a ten team and a 12 team and thats how we do it for the 12 teamer.
Superflex for 12-team has worked great. Some teams have QB situations where it's worthwhile to gamble on the starter and backup in lieu of another NFL starter - like Leinert/Warner. Owners can strategically leave their third QB to much later in the draft if that's the way they plan to use the roster, at the cost of getting fewer points on the two bye weeks b/c they're starting a non-QB in the superflex. Other teams will grab four NFL starters with the express purpose of being active in trades at the bye weeks. Just another strategic wrinkle that makes 2QB a more interesting format imho.

Make the second QB into some kind of flex and you avoid this problem altogether. My league uses 1 QB, 2 RB, 1 flex QB/RB. 4 WR, 2 TE, 1 flex WR/TE. Starting a 2nd QB is almost always better than starting a 3rd RB so it amounts to the 2 QB league but gives you more flexibility on byes and for injuries.The superflex is another way to go as well, where you can start any position.

OK, this is what I was talking about. I just got the league up from last year and of the top 25 scorers, only LT (454), Sjax (371), LJ (353) and Gore (295) were in the top 25. (USING LAST YEARS NUMBERS IN PLACE OF PROJECTIONS) So LT outscored the 4th best RB by 150 points, and the 24th best by 300. Manning outscored the 24th best QB by only 255, so I get why LT should go ahead of Manning. But let's say you're drafting at 6, and you're looking at Manning and Westy. Then you're looking at 255 points of separation vs worst starter @ QB vs. only 137 vs worst starter @ RB. So you take Manning. So let's say this draft goes about as predicted, and Palmer gets taken at the turn but other than that it's RBs and a few stud WRs. So on the comeback you're looking at your choice of Bulger and Brees, both who had 203 pts of separation vs the worst starter, vs someone like MJD who had only 93 points of separation vs the worst starter. So, in both spots in the first round, drafting from the 6, the principles of VBD tell you to take the QB and their greater separation against the worst starter. As you all stated the stud RBs still go in the first and most of the second, meaning that by the time you have your two starting stud QBs, your competition will likely be looking in that direction and you can grab some undervalued RBs. If only 3 QBs go in the first two rounds, that means that guys who offer big separation will still be out there (McNabb, Bulger/Brees, Brady, Kitna, possibly Young). You'd definitely be picking from the worst Rbs available but if you got lucky on one, knowing that your QB combo will beat just about anyone else's in the league by about 10-15 points per week, that's not bad, especially if you can hit on a sleeper or two. Not trying to convince anyone, but food for thought.
I worked the numbers and it looks like taking 2 Qbs, as long as there isn't a huge run on them and you can get an elite QB in the second like everyone says, VBD, at least for last year's numbers, dictates that you take a top 5 QB in the second, and Manning inn the first is a given. It would require that you A) have both QBs finish in the top five, and hit on at least one sleeper RB and WR.

I've been in a 10 team 2 QB league for several years and any new league I start we use 2 QBs and most players love it. Most of my leagues start 2 QB/3RB/3WR/TE and WR/TE flex, with K and DEF. We score 6 pts for any TD, 20 yds/pt Pass, 10 yds/pt Rush/Rec. -2 for Int.

I tried a different 12 team 2 QB league one year and it didn't work so well. Some teams didn't pay enough attention to pick up a 2nd QB during bye weeks... and then were complaining when there wasn't enough starting QBs to go around.

The Last few years drafts have looked like this for the 10 team 2 QB league I've been in for years:

9 RB, 1QB (Round 1)

14 RB, 4 QB, 2 WR (thru Round 2)

15 RB, 8 QB, 7 WR (thru Round 3)

19 RB, 10 QB, 10 WR, 1 TE (thru Round 4)

22 RB, 13 QB, 14 WR, 1 TE (thru Round 5)

8 RB, 2 QB

16 RB, 4 QB

18 RB, 7 QB, 5 WR

19 RB, 11 QB, 10 WR

22 RB, 14 QB, 12 WR, 2 TE

7 RB, 3 QB

13 RB, 5 QB, 2 WR

15 RB, 10 QB, 5 WR

10 RB, 13 QB, 6 WR, 1 TE

22 RB, 13 QB, 14 WR, 1 TE

6 RB, 4 QB

12 RB, 8 QB

17 RB, 11 QB, 2 WR

21 RB, 13 QB, 6 WR

23 RB, 16 QB, 11 WR

4 RB, 6 QB

12 RB, 8 QB

13 RB, 11 QB, 6 WR

17 RB, 13 QB, 10 WR

23 RB, 16 QB, 11 WR

5 YEAR Rounded Average

Round 1: 7 RB, 3 QB

Round 2: 13 RB, 6 QB, 1 WR

Round 3: 16 RB, 9 QB, 5 WR

Round 4: 19 RB, 12 QB, 9 WR

Round 5: 22 RB, 14 QB, 12 WR, 1 TE

Notice that these are pretty similar to CajunHeat's results posted above.

One addendum - in response to the drafting 2 top QB's in rounds 1 and 2. At least in my leagues you don't have that chance.

the top 3 QB's has been drafted in the following slot:

2006 - 1.03(Manning), 2.02 (Brady), 2.05 (Palmer)

2005 - 1.01 (Manning), 1.02 (Culpepper), 2.01 (McNabb)

2004 - 1.02 (Manning), 1.04 (Culpepper), 1.08 (McNabb)

2003 - 1.02 (McNabb), 1.04 (Culpepper), 1.07 (Manning)

2002 - 1.02 (Warner), 1.03 (Manning), 1.04 (Culpepper)

This is obviously ancedotal evidence at best.

When I was looking for 2 QB league ADP's I had a tough time finding anything worthwhile.

So last year I modified the ADP in the Draft Dominator by assigning each position (i.e. RB19) the average draft position of the last 5 years drafts in this league.

So if Kevin Jones was last year's ADP RB19 instead of having an overall ADP of 26 as he would in "standard" leagues, I changed his ADP to 38 because that was the average position that RB19 was drafted in the last 5 drafts. It took quite a bit of extra work, but it payed off when I walked away with the title.

If you're starting a new 2 QB league though that isn't going to help you.

So, in trying to get away from any lineup problems, yet keeping things as simple as possible, what would be the best/easiest flex to go with in a 12-team, 2 QB league?

Don’t seem to have my ’06 draft handy, but here’s how it went in ’05. (10 teams, 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K, D)

Thru Round 1 – 6 RB, 2 QB, 2 WR

Thru Round 2 – 11 RB, 4 QB, 5 WR

Thru Round 3 – 15 RB, 6 QB, 9 WR

Thru Round 4 – 16 RB, 11 QB, 11 WR, 2 TE

Thru Round 5 – 18 RB, 13 QB, 16 WR, 3 TE

So, in trying to get away from any lineup problems, yet keeping things as simple as possible, what would be the best/easiest flex to go with in a 12-team, 2 QB league?
It depends on the website you use to run your league. Last year I was in a league on Fanball that allows for you to set Minimums and Maximums at each position rather than a true Flex position (not all sites will let you do this). Our lineup consisted of:1-2 QB

2-3 RB

3-4 WR

1-2 TE

1-2 K

1-2 DEF

With a maximum of 11 starters. So I'd typically start 2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, K, DEF. But it offered flexibility for bye or injury problems. You could start 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, K, DEF if needed.

Since RB is the position that tends to score the most points and also has injury/ starter issues, a simple QB/RB flex would probably be the easiest. What is the rest of your starting requirements?

In the leagues I'm in we try to make the positions have fairly equal value. So in a 10 team league starting 2 QBs = 20 of 32 NFL QBs, or 62%. Starting 3 RB = 30 of 45(?) (including RBBCs), or 67%. Starting 4 WR = 40 of 64 WRs = 62%.

When you have 2 QB starters, are you still starting 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE? The QBs will have tremendous value if that is the case.

Something like this is super-easy:1 QB

1 QB/RB/WR

2 RB (3 if your league wants to play deep)

3 WR

TE

K

D (if you must - I hate playing with D)

fishergm31's system has a lot more flexibility for owners, but keep in mind that the more flexible you make starting lineups, the less trading you see, because people don't have the positional needs that drives trading in more rigid lineups. It's a matter of what you prefer, but I prefer less flex, and only play with the QB/RB/WR flex to make 2QB practical in larger leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread