What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Starting a food truck. Any advice? (1 Viewer)

What type of food are you going to be serving, if it something that any other food truck can offer than i wouldnt even bother. Too big of a risk. 
Just a few of my personal creations and juices and smoothies.

it will be a pretty diverse menu.

I don't know anything about running a restaurant or food truck but based on what you said initially about leaving the office rat race I would suggest start by working the truck on weekend while keeping your weekday job and see how it goes, how you like it and how well you do.  Good luck.
I've worked in professional kitchens before. I can handle the work.

if you actually start a food truck by next year and aren't posting under another stupid ### alias starting stupid ### threads about stupid ### things that you're never going to do, or stupid ### problems you don't have that no one cares about, i will eat a hat live on periscope

Last edited by a moderator:
Watered down market. Everyone who cooks now a days think they can open a food truck. Just like anyone who enjoys beer thinks they can start making craft beer and open a brewery. 
Don't forget about the cupcakes.

I would probably put my entire net worth and any sort of credit I could into it, but also don't really put much effort in.  Try to make it so if you fail, you are screwed for the rest of your life, to the point where you won't ever be able to afford a computer or internet access again.  
I will always have Internet access

I think a food truck permit is about $20,000 in nyc
That puts the kibosh on this for sure.

nothing more to see here. Hard delete!

JK about the delete. I have a few investors lined up and there is kickstarter

Last edited by a moderator:
http://upended.net/post/25574021175/foodtruckstartupcosts

Truck — $50,000 (purchase cost plus basic retrofitting)

Mobile Food Vending Unit Permit (bought on the black market) — $15,000 (2-year permit)

Commissary — $500 (per month); $6,000 estimate per year

General Liability Insurance (for the business) — $3,500  (per year)

“You need general liability insurance to operate in a commercial kitchen.”

Mobile Vendors License — $103 ($53 for the class, $50 for a 2-year license)

Truck Insurance — $2,000-$3,000 (per year; $2,500 estimate per year)

Commercial Kitchen — $2,000-$5,000 (per month; $36,000 estimate per year)

Workers Comp — $7,000  (per year for 3 employees)

“You’re combining two things insurance companies hate - moving vehicles and hot food.”

Accountant — $350 (per month; $4,200 estimate per year)

“Most business owners are doing a million things. Having an accountant look at your books objectively is highly recommended.”

PR professional — $1,500 (for 3 months; $6,000 estimate per year)

Grand total food truck start-up costs for year 1:

=  $130,303

Please note that the expense list does not include variable costs such as gas, vehicle repairs, food and paper products, marketing materials, and a host of other possible sundries. Budget for incidentals and miscellaneous expenses accordingly.

http://upended.net/post/25574021175/foodtruckstartupcosts

Truck — $50,000 (purchase cost plus basic retrofitting)

Mobile Food Vending Unit Permit (bought on the black market) — $15,000 (2-year permit)

Commissary — $500 (per month); $6,000 estimate per year

General Liability Insurance (for the business) — $3,500  (per year)

“You need general liability insurance to operate in a commercial kitchen.”

Mobile Vendors License — $103 ($53 for the class, $50 for a 2-year license)

Truck Insurance — $2,000-$3,000 (per year; $2,500 estimate per year)

Commercial Kitchen — $2,000-$5,000 (per month; $36,000 estimate per year)

Workers Comp — $7,000  (per year for 3 employees)

“You’re combining two things insurance companies hate - moving vehicles and hot food.”

Accountant — $350 (per month; $4,200 estimate per year)

“Most business owners are doing a million things. Having an accountant look at your books objectively is highly recommended.”

PR professional — $1,500 (for 3 months; $6,000 estimate per year)

Grand total food truck start-up costs for year 1:

=  $130,303

Please note that the expense list does not include variable costs such as gas, vehicle repairs, food and paper products, marketing materials, and a host of other possible sundries. Budget for incidentals and miscellaneous expenses accordingly.
There are ways to do some of these cheaper like get a used truck.

Timmay said:
Watered down market. Everyone who cooks now a days think they can open a food truck. Just like anyone who enjoys beer thinks they can start making craft beer and open a brewery. 
But is there anyone running a foodtruck who sells poutine and calls the customers "sizzlechest"?

Maybe just by an old F150 and put a propane BBQ in the box. Drive around selling food and say #### it to the permits and insurance (that stuff is for suckers and you're too smart to get conned into it). Start small and build your way up.

Users who are viewing this thread