What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers activate Isaac Redman (1 Viewer)

Mentioned this in the Steelers thread but thought I would provide the link:

A CHANCE FOR REDMAN?

Rookie running back Isaac Redman said there’s a chance he may be activated if Parker can’t play Sunday.

Redman, who played well in the preseason, was cut Sept. 4. A day later, he was assigned to the eight-man practice squad.

“The coaches just told me to be ready,” Redman said. “They told me to make sure I know the offense and to make sure I know the game plan for this week. I don’t know what’s going to happen. It could be a game-time decision.”

With Parker hurt, the Steelers only have three healthy running backs on their roster — Mendenhall, Moore and Carey Davis. A first-team fullback the past two years, Davis was cut Sept. 4 but re-signed Wednesday when rookie fullback Frank Summers was placed on injured reserve with a back injury.

What do you see for Redman's future in a dynasty league??
Parker is in the last year of his contract. The extension didn't happen before the season started, so historically speaking, the Steelers aren't going to do it until the season is over...if at all. Redman is from the Division II CIAA. He impressed a lot of people at camp in goal line drills. I seem to remember one report where he ran the ball 7 times in goal line drills (in camp) and scored on 6 of the 7...4 against the starting defense. From preseason, I remember most of Redman's playing time was with 2nd and 3rd+ string...I do not recall any carries with starters.With all that said, and being a Steelers home, I was rooting for Redman. When he was cut, I was glad he cleared waivers and made the PS. This is a golden opportunity for Redman, even if he only gets a few carries. Go to youtube and search Redman clips. I know it's Division II, but the highlights are of a men amongst boys, seriously.If you have space way down on the end of your dynasty roster, and can afford to carry a non productive guy for a couple of weeks, then you might take that risk. If he produces Sunday, does he survive waivers in the NFL to get back on the Steelers PS? I don't know...it's a long shot IMHO.

What do you see for Redman's future in a dynasty league??
Parker is in the last year of his contract. The extension didn't happen before the season started, so historically speaking, the Steelers aren't going to do it until the season is over...if at all. Redman is from the Division II CIAA. He impressed a lot of people at camp in goal line drills. I seem to remember one report where he ran the ball 7 times in goal line drills (in camp) and scored on 6 of the 7...4 against the starting defense. From preseason, I remember most of Redman's playing time was with 2nd and 3rd+ string...I do not recall any carries with starters.With all that said, and being a Steelers home, I was rooting for Redman. When he was cut, I was glad he cleared waivers and made the PS. This is a golden opportunity for Redman, even if he only gets a few carries. Go to youtube and search Redman clips. I know it's Division II, but the highlights are of a men amongst boys, seriously.If you have space way down on the end of your dynasty roster, and can afford to carry a non productive guy for a couple of weeks, then you might take that risk. If he produces Sunday, does he survive waivers in the NFL to get back on the Steelers PS? I don't know...it's a long shot IMHO.
I wouldn't be surprised that when/if Parker comes back from his injury if one of the backs mysteriously gets IR'd for the season.

Nick Eason was cut. So nobody needs to mysteriously go on IR unless the Steelers want to re-sign Eason or some other depth DL player and in doing so, attempt to put Redman back on the practice squad.

I'm by no means a Steelers fan, but would hope they'd give this kid a shot. Watching the You Tube clips and the preseason runs, he seems to bring a lot of energy/potential to the backfield. Do any of the homers see him becoming more than a Gary Russell part 2 given the current backfield issues?

I'm by no means a Steelers fan, but would hope they'd give this kid a shot. Watching the You Tube clips and the preseason runs, he seems to bring a lot of energy/potential to the backfield. Do any of the homers see him becoming more than a Gary Russell part 2 given the current backfield issues?
I think the problem for him will be that Mendenhall's likely to be a good short-yardage back in time (225 with explosiveness usually works pretty well), and is a much better all-round player.

I think the problem for him will be that Mendenhall's likely to be a good short-yardage back in time (225 with explosiveness usually works pretty well), and is a much better all-round player.
Whoa I dunno about that. What in either's history shows that to be true? I wish Mendenhall ran with Redman's toughness and determination and then we would be saying what a steal the Steelers got in Mendenhall.

I saw enough urgency, burst, toughness, and leg drive in Redman's preseason running that I am not ruling out him carving out a long-term role in this backfield with Mendenhall's disappointing track record so far. I've added him in my deep dynasty leagues on the chance that Mendenhall flames out and Redman gets a shot by default.

Whoa I dunno about that. What in either's history shows that to be true? I wish Mendenhall ran with Redman's toughness and determination and then we would be saying what a steal the Steelers got in Mendenhall.
It's always possible I'm wrong about Mendenhall, but if he flops he'll be the only high draft pick with size and speed in the last dozen years to do it. First round picks drafted at 220 or more who also ran a sub 4.5:LaDainian TomlinsonFred TaylorJonathan StewartRashard MendenhallSteven Jackson Ronnie BrownThat's a pretty good list - and the burden of proof to consider Mendenhall is a flop is very, very high. 50 carries scattered across two seasons is nowhere near enough. "Intangibles" are overrated and physics is underrated.Redman is an also ran - if Mendenhall comes close to panning out he's an asterisk on the 2009 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always possible I'm wrong about Mendenhall, but if he flops he'll be the only high draft pick with size and speed in the last dozen years to do it. First round picks drafted at 220 or more who also ran a sub 4.5:LaDainian TomlinsonFred TaylorJonathan StewartRashard MendenhallSteven Jackson Ronnie BrownThat's a pretty good list - and the burden of proof to consider Mendenhall is a flop is very, very high. 50 carries scattered across two seasons is nowhere near enough. "Intangibles" are overrated and physics is underrated.Redman is an also ran - if Mendenhall comes close to panning out he's an asterisk on the 2009 season.
The history of the league is filled with players with elite talent but no heart or brains who never live up to there physical talents. I'm not saying Mendenhall is either one, but the jury is still out on him and Redman. That is all I was trying to say.

I saw enough urgency, burst, toughness, and leg drive in Redman's preseason running that I am not ruling out him carving out a long-term role in this backfield with Mendenhall's disappointing track record so far. I've added him in my deep dynasty leagues on the chance that Mendenhall flames out and Redman gets a shot by default.
With Redman on the active roster that makes a grand total of two guys in the backfield that can break backfield tackles: Redman and Roethlisberger. Mendenhall does not play to his size and seems sadly vulnerable to the first tackler in the backfield (on par with Parker). Redman has already shown the strength and balance in the short yardage game that the Steelers haven't seen since Bettis. I think he is better than Russell last year, but it seems clear that the coaching staff has him pegged in the same role. It took them a while to recognize Russell's skill set in this area and it became valuable to them when Parker was down toward the end of the season. Now with Parker down they return to the well with Redman. If he is anything like Steeler Nation thinks he is he'll keep the spot regardless of what happens with everyone else (as Russell did last year).

Redman with the carry on 2nd and one, and first and goal. Looks like Mendenhall won't be getting any of the short yardage stuff.

:wall:

Users who are viewing this thread