What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers at browns......let's go (3 Viewers)

I would never condone what knucklehead Garret did ...

but to play devils advocate; lets look at how it got to Garret attempting to put Masons helmet back on....

- Rudolph had just gotten absolutely DRILLED on the 2 previous plays. Both sacks / legal.

- On THAT play, looked to  me like the last Garret saw of Mason was him holding the ball, ready to throw. Garret put his head down and wrapped him up.

... because his head was now in the chest of Rudolph, he had no idea if Rudolph threw the ball or was still holding it. No whistle and Garret proceeds to take Rudolph to the ground.

- Rudolph is on his back and livid, just got taken down for a 3rd time in a row and this time undeserving as he had dumped the ball off QUICKLY for the reason of NOT getting hit AGAIN ... and in his fury, starts pulling and scratching at the back of Garrets helmet in what appeared to be an attempt to pull Garrets helmet off

- Garret retaliates by grabbing facemask and removing Rudolphs helmet.

- Garret is pushed back, separated, and Rudolph is still coming forward. At this point Garret is in the wrong but not all to blame,  ... and this is where it could have went much better.

Garret could have dropped the helmet ... or better yet, spin round a few times and hammer throw said helmet into the cheap seats. THAT would have been hilarious.

Instead Garret decides to give Mason his helmet back and attempts to smash it on for him ... missing the hole badly.

Dope

Yes  I keep seeing people on Twitter insisting this was Rudolph's fault but none of this happens if Garret doesn't drive him into the ground for no damn reason.
Not justifying what Garrett did at all.  I think he should be suspended for the rest of the year.  But Rudolph didn't get driven to the ground.  It was after the ball was out but Garrett had his head in Rudolphs chest at that point Rudolph threw it.  And most of Rudolph's body weight landed on Garrett himself not the ground.  There are a half dozen worse hits on the QB every week and the QB doesn't react like that.  Rudolph was frustrated for having a lousy game so he's not blameless in this.

Not justifying what Garrett did at all.  I think he should be suspended for the rest of the year.  But Rudolph didn't get driven to the ground.  It was after the ball was out but Garrett had his head in Rudolphs chest at that point Rudolph threw it.  And most of Rudolph's body weight landed on Garrett himself not the ground.  There are a half dozen worse hits on the QB every week and the QB doesn't react like that.  Rudolph was frustrated for having a lousy game so he's not blameless in this.
... extreme frustration as he came off the field after his last INT. Surely it carried over to the next series.

Rudolphs actions were the much, much, MUCH, lesser of the two evils here tho. Had Garret not swung a helmet, I'd say they were pretty equal on the dopetard meter.

... extreme frustration as he came off the field after his last INT. Surely it carried over to the next series.

Rudolphs actions were the much, much, MUCH, lesser of the two evils here tho. Had Garret not swung a helmet, I'd say they were pretty equal on the dopetard meter.
Agree completely here. 

The difference between whacking him in the head with his own helmet and spiking it in the end zone. Do the latter, eat the flag, and the talking point is on Rudolph. How he's both a terrible player and fragile neck-up.

The former and now we're here instead.

Sure. And let's arrest every player who leads with his helmet. That's a weapon too, right? Remember, we're not letting football coaches and players decide what constitutes a weapon, or what constitutes vicious; we're letting government bureaucrats make the distinction.

Oh, and every beanball in a baseball game? That's clearly assault. How about every hockey check? Let's just station police officers behind every umpire and penalty box.

Come on.

What's really ironic here is that I'm seeing people who usually lament the nanny state and the wussification of America, and now they're calling for sports players to be arrested for things that used to be handled on the field. It's two sides of the same coin, guys.
Apples and oranges. There is assumed risk in both sports that all players understand, getting your helmet ripped off and clocked with it over your head is not one of these risks. It's closer to assault with a deadly weapon.

Looks like there are only 2 week 13 games on CBS at 4:25.

Browns at Steelers

Chargers at Broncos

Would imagine this rematch will be nationally televised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there are only 2 week 13 games on CBS at 4:25.

Browns at Steelers

Chargers at Broncos

Would imagine this rematch will be nationally televised.
Word in Baltimore is that the 49ers-Ravens game is going to be flexed that day from 1 to 4:25 to be the FOX national game. We'll see if that's true. But I can imagine the NFL not wanting to put this rematch on center stage - last night was not exactly a shining moment of glory that they want to revisit 

Word in Baltimore is that the 49ers-Ravens game is going to be flexed that day from 1 to 4:25 to be the FOX national game. We'll see if that's true. But I can imagine the NFL not wanting to put this rematch on center stage - last night was not exactly a shining moment of glory that they want to revisit 
yeah, ... and then the fight broke out.

Users who are viewing this thread