What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Hill (WR) - CAR (1 Viewer)

Why's he stinking so much today?
The Jets aren't going to score 40+ points every week, he's a rookie wr, Holmes is obviously the main WR, and his QB's are Sanchez and Tebow. He's not a good route runner and his hands are also questionable, but he does have a great size and speed combo. I wouldn't expect much from him this season.

The Jets aren't going to score 40+ points every week, he's a rookie wr, Holmes is obviously the main WR, and his QB's are Sanchez and Tebow. He's not a good route runner and his hands are also questionable, but he does have a great size and speed combo. I wouldn't expect much from him this season.
:goodposting:Were people actually counting on him this week? Foolish if so.

:goodposting:Were people actually counting on him this week? Foolish if so.
Wasn't counting on him but I was hoping he would put up another at least decent game that way I could count on him next week or trade him for something good

If Sanchez is going to play Pittsburgh and then complete only 10 passes, this is a likely outcome for any Jets player.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Santonio done for the year, where are we at for the ROS with Stephen Hill?
Let's see..From what I've read Keller is still hobbled by his injury.From what I remember, Chaz Schilens is made out of Legos.From what I've seen NYJ doesn't quite trust Kerley enough yet.I think Hill is eventually going to be the guy to own, but even then I'm not sure how much value he'll hold.

With Santonio done for the year, where are we at for the ROS with Stephen Hill?
Let's see..From what I've read Keller is still hobbled by his injury.From what I remember, Chaz Schilens is made out of Legos.From what I've seen NYJ doesn't quite trust Kerley enough yet.I think Hill is eventually going to be the guy to own, but even then I'm not sure how much value he'll hold.
I'm of the camp there is no one on this team that is startable. UGH-LEE team right now. LOL at Rex not wanting to shelve Revis out of concern that they wouldn't have him for the Super Bowl! :lmao:

Even thought the offense is going to stink, someone is going to catch some balls, especially now that the defense is giving up points. Hill should be pretty solid, probably close to what Holmes was putting up. WR3 material.

If you can afford to hold, I think you do so. I have a feeling Hill is going to be Tebow's guy come second half of the season.
I agree with this.With Santonio gone, Hill is now (sadly) the best offensive player on the team.I'm not expecting season-changing lottery ticket production, but his upside is better than anyone currently on my WW (Golden Tate/Donald Jones-types).

Kerley is a good player. I always liked him when he was coming out of TCU, but avoided him in my dynasty drafts because I didn't think he had great FF upside. He's only about 5'9" with 4.6 speed, but he's a better natural football player than Hill. He's quicker and more agile too. I would expect Hill to make more big plays and score more TDs, but Kerley should become the go-to possession guy now.

Kerley is a good player. I always liked him when he was coming out of TCU, but avoided him in my dynasty drafts because I didn't think he had great FF upside. He's only about 5'9" with 4.6 speed, but he's a better natural football player than Hill. He's quicker and more agile too. I would expect Hill to make more big plays and score more TDs, but Kerley should become the go-to possession guy now.
I've never understood why the Jets after playing against Wes Welker never thought to use Kerley the same way.

If you can afford to hold, I think you do so. I have a feeling Hill is going to be Tebow's guy come second half of the season.
Tebow running the option with McKnight and using Hill as a deep threat when Ds stack 8/9 in the box is probably the best hope the Jets have. There probably wouldn't be enough big guys running into defenders and falling down after 2.5 yards to keep Rex happy, but you never know.

If you're putting Tebow and McKnight out there, you might as well forfeit.

I was surprised to find that Shonn Greene had averaged 5.0, 4.1, and 4.2 YPC in the previous three seasons. I totally get why FF fans hate him, but he is just one part of the problem in New York. The biggest issue is that Sanchez has failed to develop. He's still basically the same guy he was entering the league. And with Holmes and Keller slowed by injuries, this could get ugly.

Thoughts on Hill moving forward? He only played a limited amount last week but caught all 3 of his targets, including a nice TD.
I think Keller is going to slot in as the #1 target as soon as he gets up to speed. The #1 target on this team won't amount to much, so naturally the outlook for the #2 will be even more bleak. Essentially, the schedule is the most important thing here, as Hill's success is extremely dependent on the erratic play of Sanchez (or Tebow?).As for plus match ups, he plays NE (3rd) twice, MIA(10th), before facing JAC (14th), TEN(15th) and SD(5th) in the playoffs.He's a decent stash to see if he can eventually become a match up play or more but his style of play coupled with Sanchez's inconstancy really turns me off to the whole situation. In the end, a plus match up may not even matter. I've learned in the past never to trust anyone whose floor is a goose egg.

I didnt watch many Jets games last year. Did Hill show improvement over the course of the season? Is he still a very Raw WR? Or will he be solid contributor this year? Obviously much will ride on the QB situation. I'm just wondering if he still has potential or if he's already seen as a bust in their eyes. IIRC there have been several mock drafts having the Jets taking a WR early.

I didnt watch many Jets games last year. Did Hill show improvement over the course of the season? Is he still a very Raw WR? Or will he be solid contributor this year? Obviously much will ride on the QB situation. I'm just wondering if he still has potential or if he's already seen as a bust in their eyes. IIRC there have been several mock drafts having the Jets taking a WR early.
That's more of an indictment of Holmes than Hill. Mocks predicting at WR at #9 aren't serious IMO. I'm sure they'll draft a WR, probably in the early rounds. Hill didn't do much after week 1 but keep in mind that he's younger than most of the rookies in this draft.

No his first game as a Jet was his best game by far. He showed flashes at times, but made a lot of (hopefully rookie) mistakes, particularly dropping balls that he had no business dropping. He does have potential and the team will not give up on him already. The switch to a WCO under Morningwheig probably doesn't do him any favors though as he's not a great route runner or quick in small spaces. The mocks that have the Jets taking a WR at the No. 9 slot are likely wrong. Personally I don't think (and surely hope) that they wil not waste a high pick like that on a "project" like Patterson (who I actually like) or a possession WR like Allen.

I didnt realize he was so young. I'm actually shying away from drafting any "raw" rookies on that team now. I need a rookie that is more nfl ready so I can wait for Hill to develop. Patterson may fall to me in that league but I might trade down or look closer at Allen.

As for Hill, I'm hoping another training camp and some stability at QB (I can't imagine keeping Sanchez as starter) will have some positive impact on Hills fantasy value. I don't expect him to reach his full potential in year 2, but I'd like him to put up quality WR4 numbers and show improvement.

I didnt realize he was so young. I'm actually shying away from drafting any "raw" rookies on that team now. I need a rookie that is more nfl ready so I can wait for Hill to develop. Patterson may fall to me in that league but I might trade down or look closer at Allen. As for Hill, I'm hoping another training camp and some stability at QB (I can't imagine keeping Sanchez as starter) will have some positive impact on Hills fantasy value. I don't expect him to reach his full potential in year 2, but I'd like him to put up quality WR4 numbers and show improvement.
He was hurt a couple times too. So between the injuries and the QB play it was more or less a redshirt year. And as they pointed out above he's still just 22.Having said... he really didn't look good. I don't mean his routes or stuff like that, he just didn't move easily or look fluid. And I say that as someone who owns him in a bunch of leagues.

I didnt realize he was so young. I'm actually shying away from drafting any "raw" rookies on that team now. I need a rookie that is more nfl ready so I can wait for Hill to develop. Patterson may fall to me in that league but I might trade down or look closer at Allen.

As for Hill, I'm hoping another training camp and some stability at QB (I can't imagine keeping Sanchez as starter) will have some positive impact on Hills fantasy value. I don't expect him to reach his full potential in year 2, but I'd like him to put up quality WR4 numbers and show improvement.
He was hurt a couple times too. So between the injuries and the QB play it was more or less a redshirt year. And as they pointed out above he's still just 22.Having said... he really didn't look good. I don't mean his routes or stuff like that, he just didn't move easily or look fluid. And I say that as someone who owns him in a bunch of leagues.
You really have to account for who his QB was. Watching his
it seemed to be an awful waste of his talents. I'm not sure Calvin would be successful in that offense.

You really have to account for who his QB was. Watching his
agreed, will be interesting to see what happens this season. i'm still holding onto hope for hill.

If you can't catch you can never play wr in the NFL and that isn't going to improve dramatically with time, nor does it have a ton to do with being young. Patterson is raw but there's no comparison, he has some skills. Hill was just a big guy who could really run. He had zero production in college and no ball skills. He may have a big game here or there (think Devery Henderson) but I'd sell immediately. Just can't see this guy being any better than DHB. I think that's his ceiling.

If you can't catch you can never play wr in the NFL and that isn't going to improve dramatically with time, nor does it have a ton to do with being young. Patterson is raw but there's no comparison, he has some skills. Hill was just a big guy who could really run. He had zero production in college and no ball skills. He may have a big game here or there (think Devery Henderson) but I'd sell immediately. Just can't see this guy being any better than DHB. I think that's his ceiling.
I have no fancy statistical analysis but will say that most rookies seem to struggle with drops. I do however feel like it one is a "body-catcher" the chances of large progression are small. I do not have any stock in Hill and have never seen him play. Goodnight.

Still doesn't seem like he can catch according to camp reports. Is this even learnable at this level?

DHB had ~1000 yards 2 years ago. What price point are you exiting at that you think you can't get something better in the middle of the season? Not sure what I could get out at, but anything less than a 2nd and I will just hold on to the lottery ticket.

Rotoworld:

Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley were two of ESPN New York's Rich Cimini's three "duds" of minicamp.
Coach Rex Ryan has expressed his discontent with the Jets' receiving corps multiple times throughout OTAs and minicamp, and on Thursday he simply said "it has to get better." The Jets need to add a veteran receiver, especially with all of the uncertainty surrounding Santonio Holmes, but the free-agent market is awfully barren. S Antonio Allen was Cimini's other "dud," while OLB Ricky Sapp, TE Hayden Smith, RB John Griffin, and CB Aaron Berry were the "studs."

Related: Jeremy Kerley

Source: ESPN New York

Rotoworld:

Jets WR Stephen Hill has been struggling with drops throughout summer.
Hill was extremely raw as a route-runner and struggled with drops while at Georgia Tech. Since entering the NFL, he's done very little as a receiver to shed his "project" label. Both Santonio Holmes and coach Rex Ryan openly expressed their frustration with Hill's inability to show consistent hands. Hill's individual struggles, coupled with inconsistent play at quarterback, are a recipe for a rough season in New York.

Jets WR Stephen Hill is training with teammate Antonio Cromartie this summer.

It's only notable because it appears Hill is not taking part in Mark Sanchez's annual "Jets West" camp in California. Dubbed one of the "duds" of Jets minicamp by ESPN New York, Hill says he's working out with 'Cro at the recommendation of DC Dennis Thurman. Perhaps Gang Green is looking for Hill to toughen up before anything else.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

A bit early to bury him, but I can't say I'm surprised. He's a taller Jerome Simpson. Athletic on paper, but not fluid on the field and not particularly skilled.

Last year I had some hope that he'd improve, but my oh my, he's just as terrible as last. Maybe the light bulb turns on during training camp, but i'm not that hopeful. Intriguing guy but he's not even worth a stash to me at this point.

Rotoworld:

Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill will be on a rep count when training camp starts.
Hill has been having issues with his surgically-repaired right knee, so the Jets are being cautious about a potential setback. Already without Santonio Holmes, the Jets can ill afford to be without Hill, who is one of the only deep threats on the team. Hill needs to get healthy soon, as he's struggled with routes and drops throughout OTAs, and can use all the reps he can get.

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN New York, second-year WR Stephen Hill is "having a nice camp" after a drop-filled spring.
The Jets desperately need Hill to emerge as a sophomore, so this will be significant if he carries it over into regular season games. During Sunday's practice, Hill caught a 50-yard touchdown bomb from Geno Smith. Ideally, speedsters Hill and Braylon Edwards will threaten to stretch defenses deep, giving the Jets some room to run up front. Otherwise, they'll face constant eight-man boxes.

Rex asked about Hill’s progress/polish: “I’m not gonna comment on Stephen because he’s doing so well. I’m not gonna comment on him.”

Rex asked about Hill’s progress/polish: “I’m not gonna comment on Stephen because he’s doing so well. I’m not gonna comment on him.”
Why make a comment after saying you are not going to comment.....I am not going to comment on Rex...because he is not doing so well....

Why make a comment after saying you are not going to comment.....I am not going to comment on Rex...because he is not doing so well....
LOL.. This place uggghhhh....

He was JOKING!!!!!!
I thought I was joking......uggggghhhh.....

Rotoworld:

Stephen Hill believes he's talented enough to be the Jets' No. 1 receiver.
"Honestly I feel like I can be that guy even if (Santonio Holmes) is out there on the field," Hill said Wednesday. "That's just my competitiveness, that's what I feel like I can do." Hill received poor marks for his play in OTAs, but has rebounded in a big way in training camp, even drawing public praise from coach Rex Ryan. New York's receiver corps is an absolute mess, but Hill is not a bad flier as a WR5.

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York calls Stephen Hill the Jets' most improved player this summer.
Per reporter Rich Cimini, Hill has impressed with his "improved mechanics and route running." Hill boasts a rare size/speed combo (6-foot-4, 215 pounds with 4.36 wheels), but was extremely raw coming out of option-based Georgia Tech. Hill's flashes of brilliance as a rookie were typically paired up with a mind-numbing mistake. Still only 22, Hill has a monster ceiling, but his development figures to remain slow with the Jets' quarterback situation still a mess.

I wasn't paying nearly as much attention to the draft and dynasty in general when Demaryius Thomas came out of school, but wouldn't Hill offer a similar size/speed package? I'm curious to hear what the differences are between the two at this stage of their careers from some of the guys on this board... I know many of you are far, far better at prospect evaluation than I am.

So when EBF compares him to a taller, faster Jerome Simpson, how's that different from DT (who admittedly, again, I didn't see much at all as a prospect).

Users who are viewing this thread