What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevan Ridley Support Group (1 Viewer)

as a big pats fan, ridley owner in every league each of the last 2 years, and attempted username of kool-aid ridley, I am here to assure you guys that ridley will beast this week.

do not worry and never fear.
Any particular reason why you like him this week? Just curious.
well, the jets actually have somethin' going on up front on their defensive line, and I don't think they used much nickel at all against us -- checking it out, they held doug martin to 2.7 ypc, and while freddie jackson got one good run in, the other 18 carries yielded 21 yds, cj superstar included.

tampa is typically not that easy to run against -- plus, as it turned out, we were throttling the crap out of them so the pats brought blount in out of the bullpen, which ate up a quarter of carries -- just checking out my impression with this computing device, tampa held the jets to 44 yds (powell running for 150 this week), and new orleans got 75 total from 3 backs on 20 carries.

so, all you guys who look at results and say ridley is slow, etc --- these 2 defenses slow a lot of guys down.

atlanta on the other hand, can be run on.

they were run on like a sandy beach last year, and they recently lost 2 lb -- weatherspoon and biermann.

they will probably use nickel nearly all day, rolling out udfa rookie joplo bartu (that's right) and probably some udfa worrilow in his 2nd game.

don't get me wrong, I'm not talking smack about bartu, as he's gotten pretty good reviews, particularly in te coverage, but it is what it is.

the capper is their offense should be good enough to score more than 3 points, which may keep blount on the bench.

now, if I want to add in my imagination, I might want to run the ball until they stop me, as it'll be an away game with rookie receivers in a hostile dome with a dangerous offense on the sideline -- but that part's just my imagination.

as a ridley fan, although not current owner *weeps silently*, I was pretty lukewarm on the last 2 weeks, but I'm giving this match up 5 clovers.
Sounds good Larry, thanks for the post.

I just watched Atlanta recently and Weatherspoon was playing great. Big blow that they lost him.

Ridley will have a few decent days ROS, one big day and several more week-killing duds. G/L trying to figure out when to start him. At this point I'd rather have Bolden who at least will get the catches. Depending on wire depth I would consider cutting bait with Ridley in PPR or even 0.5 PPR.

as a big pats fan, ridley owner in every league each of the last 2 years, and attempted username of kool-aid ridley, I am here to assure you guys that ridley will beast this week.

well, the jets actually have somethin' going on up front on their defensive line, and I don't think they used much nickel at all against us -- checking it out, they held doug martin to 2.7 ypc, and while freddie jackson got one good run in, the other 18 carries yielded 21 yds, cj superstar included.

tampa is typically not that easy to run against -- plus, as it turned out, we were throttling the crap out of them so the pats brought blount in out of the bullpen, which ate up a quarter of carries -- just checking out my impression with this computing device, tampa held the jets to 44 yds (powell running for 150 this week), and new orleans got 75 total from 3 backs on 20 carries.

so, all you guys who look at results and say ridley is slow, etc --- these 2 defenses slow a lot of guys down.

they were run on like a sandy beach last year, and they recently lost 2 lb -- weatherspoon and biermann.

they will probably use nickel nearly all day, rolling out udfa rookie joplo bartu (that's right) and probably some udfa worrilow in his 2nd game.

don't get me wrong, I'm not talking smack about bartu, as he's gotten pretty good reviews, particularly in te coverage, but it is what it is.

the capper is their offense should be good enough to score more than 3 points, which may keep blount on the bench.

now, if I want to add in my imagination, I might want to run the ball until they stop me, as it'll be an away game with rookie receivers in a hostile dome with a dangerous offense on the sideline -- but that part's just my imagination.

as a ridley fan, although not current owner *weeps silently*, I was pretty lukewarm on the last 2 weeks, but I'm giving this match up 5 clovers.
Thank you larry - Outstanding post.

Ridley is not even worth a roster spot in redraft and his dynasty value is not existent. I saw Bolden get moved for more then what I was asking of Ridley. Why so many people lose out on fantasy titles is they cling to the hope that the name they drafted will perform but I have no hesitation of cutting a guy who cant even hold on to the ball or get passes his way. What value does he possess, just that his name is Ridley?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley is not even worth a roster spot in redraft and his dynasty value is not existent. I saw Bolden get moved for more then what I was asking of Ridley. Why so many people lose out on fantasy titles is they cling to the hope that the name they drafted will perform but I have no hesitation of cutting a guy who cant even hold on to the ball or get passes his way. What value does he possess, just that his name is Ridley?
He's certainly frustrated owners and has definitely under-performed--but to say that he's not worth rostering is absolutely ridiculous. He's still the starting running back on nice offense and still gets plenty of touches. The running back position is both shallow and volatile--so he will always maintain some value. If you play in a 12 team league where you roster 16 players (a very standard fantasy format)--that means there is a total of 192 players that are rostered. I would bet that even if you were to conduct a draft tomorrow--taking into account how the season started--that Ridley would get drafted in the 10th round or before in the majority of drafts. If you think there are 192 players in the NFL that are worth rostering over him--I would call your fantasy insight highly suspect.

I'm deep (enough) at WR in one league and looking to move Mike Wallace. The two proposals I'm deciding between are Wallace straight up for Ridley, or Wallace straight up for my LeSean McCoy handcuff.

One is more equal in perceived value, but you can't put a price tag on the value of Brown to me (I love owning my starting RB's handcuffs). To give you an idea of how far Ridley's value has fallen, I'm leaning toward the handcuff. :(

He's certainly frustrated owners and has definitely under-performed--but to say that he's not worth rostering is absolutely ridiculous. He's still the starting running back on nice offense and still gets plenty of touches. The running back position is both shallow and volatile--so he will always maintain some value. If you play in a 12 team league where you roster 16 players (a very standard fantasy format)--that means there is a total of 192 players that are rostered. I would bet that even if you were to conduct a draft tomorrow--taking into account how the season started--that Ridley would get drafted in the 10th round or before in the majority of drafts. If you think there are 192 players in the NFL that are worth rostering over him--I would call your fantasy insight highly suspect.
Its ridiculous to think with a touch count of 9/16/12 (37 total) over 3 games to the tune of 129 total yards and a fumble is worth rostering. sorry but its not. If his name was not Ridley would you still roster him?

Last week at least he was not the starting RB and through three weeks has has not been getting "plenty" of touches.

Sounds good Larry, thanks for the post.

I just watched Atlanta recently and Weatherspoon was playing great. Big blow that they lost him.
sandy beaches are hard to run on

Because he is somehow still on Yahoo's can't cut list, I'm willing to take just about anything in a trade (redraft). I would've cut bait two weeks ago if I could've, but I'm not a patient owner. At all.

LawFitz said:
jvdesigns2002 said:
False Start said:
duaneok66 said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Biabreakable said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

Last week at least he was not the starting RB and through three weeks has has not been getting "plenty" of touches.
He played a lot last week if you look at the snap count. If you read my entire post-- my argument was that there wasn't 192 players in football worth rostering in fantasy over him. If you would like to try to pick apart an argument--why not attack my main point. Do me a favor and type out 192 players that are worth rostering over him. Let's see that and get some feedback from the Shark Pool if there is anybody on that list that should be replaced with Ridley.

False Start said:
jvdesigns2002 said:
False Start said:
duaneok66 said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Biabreakable said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

Its ridiculous to think with a touch count of 9/16/12 (37 total) over 3 games to the tune of 129 total yards and a fumble is worth rostering. sorry but its not. If his name was not Ridley would you still roster him?
of course I would. Some guys are worth rostering for upside alone. I don't own dwayne bowe, david wilson or roddy white--but they are certainly worth rostering. There aren't more than 192 players I would want over any of those guys--including Ridley. If your argument is that Ridley is not worth rostering--back it up. Post 192 players that you consider better to roster than Ridley.

False Start said:
jvdesigns2002 said:
False Start said:
duaneok66 said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Biabreakable said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

of course I would. Some guys are worth rostering for upside alone. I don't own dwayne bowe, david wilson or roddy white--but they are certainly worth rostering. There aren't more than 192 players I would want over any of those guys--including Ridley. If your argument is that Ridley is not worth rostering--back it up. Post 192 players that you consider better to roster than Ridley.
I'm not gonna post 192 guys to "back it up" I have his lack of production to back it up. How is that upside working for you has it won you many weeks so far? Pierce outscored him last week in a fill in roll and got more points in that one game then Ridley has points in 3 games. Joique Bell is making him look like a scrub. James Starks is performing better than him. You should back up with why he even should be rostered other then he is a starter with upside because to be honest he has no upside currently. We know what he is. that does not equal worth as we have seen. Bolden outscored him in his first game back. Ridley is useless and has zero value, talk until you're blue, I do not see how he has value just because he is a RB on the Patriots. I see less then 5 points in a standard league over 3 weeks.

False Start said:
jvdesigns2002 said:
False Start said:
duaneok66 said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Biabreakable said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

I'm not gonna post 192 guys to "back it up" I have his lack of production to back it up. How is that upside working for you has it won you many weeks so far? Pierce outscored him last week in a fill in roll and got more points in that one game then Ridley has points in 3 games. Joique Bell is making him look like a scrub. James Starks is performing better than him. You should back up with why he even should be rostered other then he is a starter with upside. that does not equal worth as we have seen. Bolden outscored him in his first game back. Ridley is useless and has zero value, talk until your blue, I do not see how he has value just because he is a RB on the Patriots. I see less then 5 points in a standard league over 3 weeks.
you said he wasn't rosterable--back it up. post 192 guys that are better than him. If you are going to troll around and make ridiculous claims--be prepared to back them up. Otherwise don't let your mouth write checks that your a** can't cash.

False Start said:
jvdesigns2002 said:
False Start said:
duaneok66 said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Biabreakable said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

I'm not gonna post 192 guys to "back it up" I have his lack of production to back it up. How is that upside working for you has it won you many weeks so far? Pierce outscored him last week in a fill in roll and got more points in that one game then Ridley has points in 3 games. Joique Bell is making him look like a scrub. James Starks is performing better than him. You should back up with why he even should be rostered other then he is a starter with upside. that does not equal worth as we have seen. Bolden outscored him in his first game back. Ridley is useless and has zero value, talk until your blue, I do not see how he has value just because he is a RB on the Patriots. I see less then 5 points in a standard league over 3 weeks.
you said he wasn't rosterable--back it up. post 192 guys that are better than him. If you are going to troll around and make ridiculous claims--be prepared to back them up. Otherwise don't let your mouth write checks that your a** can't cash.
He is not rosterable and I'm not gonna type 192 players to make you happy. His production and complete lack of faith from the coaching staff is all the proof I need. If you do not watch the games and cannot realize that, that is not my fault. Blount is getting touches over him. I rather roster Blount over him, Bolden Vereen. Brady Gronk Amendola Thompkins Dobson and Edelmen. Thats 9 on that one team alone. Also the league in question is a 10 team short bench of 16, so 160. Don't feel so entitled that your league size and requirements matters to anyone here.

False Start said:
jvdesigns2002 said:
False Start said:
duaneok66 said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Biabreakable said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

He is not rosterable and I'm not gonna type 192 players to make you happy. His production and complete lack of faith from the coaching staff is all the proof I need. If you do not watch the games and cannot realize that, that is not my fault. Blount is getting touches over him. I rather roster Blount over him, Bolden Vereen. Brady Gronk Amendola Thompkins Dobson and Edelmen. Thats 9 on that one team alone. Also the league in question is a 10 team short bench of 16, so 160. Don't feel so entitled that your league size and requirements matters to anyone here.
type out 160 players then. Don't get defensive to me when you are the one making claims who is not willing to back it up when asked to do so. I assure you that I'm not the one looking bad here.

LOL at anyone rostering Ridley on name recognition. He's not exactly in the Tomlinson/Faulk category.

The reason to roster him is he's a recent 1000 yard back on an offense that historically gets a lot of RZ/GL rushing chances.

I'm hanging on to him, but Bolden is probably a more interesting play right now. He's my RB2 and I'm considering Bolden, like I said, D Richardson against SF and Mathews... ohh how he has fallen. I do think it's worth remembering that when the weather changes in Nov and Dec there will be some serious RB usage in the north country. That's when Bellichick will probably lean hard on Ridley. at least thats my hope.

IMO, simple as it may be, when Gronk gets back the offense will improve, the WRs will continue to improve and the running game will get better. This will give him more opportunities and he did produce last year. The whole offense has stunk. Ridley's value comes from opportunity which there should be more of as the season goes on.

@ATL @CIN NO @NYJ MIA PIT Bye @CAR DEN @HOU CLE @MIA @BAL

looking at the schedule, I have to admit it's pretty ugly

6 of those last 12 games are currently top 7 in ypc allowed, car is 10th, and that doesn't include 3 games against mia and cin who are probably better than their current stat rankings.

@jvdesigns

Wouldn't even waste the time to respond to false start. He's just looking for a dumb argument to bait people into.

I'm hanging on to him, but Bolden is probably a more interesting play right now. He's my RB2 and I'm considering Bolden, like I said, D Richardson against SF and Mathews... ohh how he has fallen. I do think it's worth remembering that when the weather changes in Nov and Dec there will be some serious RB usage in the north country. That's when Bellichick will probably lean hard on Ridley. at least thats my hope.
in nov and dec last year, in both home games and a jets road game, ridley averaged 17 carries.

all other games he averaged 19 carries.

thx for the reminder, though -- go pats!!!!!!

Aside from the overall lack of production when he's had opportunities thus far, and Vereen / Bolden already getting a fair share of the work, the fact that Ridley doesn't catch passes is making it worse IMO. Either he gets the ball, or he's looking for blitz pickups. That has got to be easier from a defensive / game planning perspective. And after watching him looking around for someone to block, with brady well protected, I'm screaming at my TV to send him out to the flat. But it never happens.

Before the Ridley haters convince you to just drop him, one has to consider the lack of passing weapons for NE right now. Amendola and Gronk are due back soon, which will open things up a bit more than they are now. When teams don't need to fear the passing game, then can afford to stuff the box. Ridley may not be worth a spot in a 10 team league, but he definitely is in a 12 team league. I have faith... not much, but clearly not yet time to cut bait and walk away only to see things turn around.

Before the Ridley haters convince you to just drop him, one has to consider the lack of passing weapons for NE right now. Amendola and Gronk are due back soon, which will open things up a bit more than they are now. When teams don't need to fear the passing game, then can afford to stuff the box. Ridley may not be worth a spot in a 10 team league, but he definitely is in a 12 team league. I have faith... not much, but clearly not yet time to cut bait and walk away only to see things turn around.
Had to drop him in my 10 team league with short benches. It was either drop Luke Kuechly or him or have an "empty" in my line up.

While it is difficult to be excited about Ridley at the moment, especially considering your likely investment in him, I think it is very premature to release him. Ridley is still the starting RB for the Patriots, and he is coming off of a 1,200 yard, 12 TD season. Yes, he has been a major disappointment for the first three weeks, and Bolden may start pushing him, but Ridley is arguably still the Patriots' best option at RB.

The thing about Ridley is that so much of his situation is unchanged from last year. They added Blount, lost Woodhead. BFD. The rest of the guys are the same. As is the coaching staff. Not sure why his utilization would change radically.

The thing about Ridley is that so much of his situation is unchanged from last year. They added Blount, lost Woodhead. BFD. The rest of the guys are the same. As is the coaching staff. Not sure why his utilization would change radically.
because the pats don't have Welker, Gronk, Lloyd, Hernandez, Amendola, Woodhead, Vereen, and probably a few other guys I'm missing so teams can stack 28 players in the box this year

While it is difficult to be excited about Ridley at the moment, especially considering your likely investment in him, I think it is very premature to release him. Ridley is still the starting RB for the Patriots, and he is coming off of a 1,200 yard, 12 TD season. Yes, he has been a major disappointment for the first three weeks, and Bolden may start pushing him, but Ridley is arguably still the Patriots' best option at RB.
Socrates you seem to know a bit about the Patriots but is the bold really true? We don't know yet what the reasoning was but in reality Bolden did start last week's game. And Blount finished it.

If BB was indeed punishing Ridley for his week one fumbles, then why wouldn't he have played Ridley in garbage time to get his confidence back when a fumble would have been meaningless to the game outcome?

Seems like a lot of signs pointing that Ridley is just another back vs. the feature back we all thought he was.

Bolden "started" because they started in a four wide set. Ridley was still the starting back in base formation.

Ridley will have a few decent days ROS, one big day and several more week-killing duds. G/L trying to figure out when to start him. At this point I'd rather have Bolden who at least will get the catches. Depending on wire depth I would consider cutting bait with Ridley in PPR or even 0.5 PPR.
Big Pats fan and picked up Bolden on the wire last week when I saw he was active. Don't own Ridley this year (price was too high) but I told everyone and their mother last year he was insane value and he was on both my teams.

That said, I'd trade Bolden straight up for Ridley and couldn't do it fast enough. Ridley is still the main man. Bolden is Woodhead/Vereen, his stats looks great and we're all talking about him because of what he did on his limited touches, but that's not sustainable.

Ridley still gets TDs and will be good for 15-20 carries every game. Blount's involvement last week was overblown, he was running out the clock in a blowout. Games won't normally be so evenly split.

This thread makes me want to go lowball offer the Ridley owner in my league. BRB ....

Big Pats fan and picked up Bolden on the wire last week when I saw he was active. Don't own Ridley this year (price was too high) but I told everyone and their mother last year he was insane value and he was on both my teams.

That said, I'd trade Bolden straight up for Ridley and couldn't do it fast enough. Ridley is still the main man. Bolden is Woodhead/Vereen, his stats looks great and we're all talking about him because of what he did on his limited touches, but that's not sustainable.

Ridley still gets TDs and will be good for 15-20 carries every game. Blount's involvement last week was overblown, he was running out the clock in a blowout. Games won't normally be so evenly split.

This thread makes me want to go lowball offer the Ridley owner in my league. BRB ....
I appreciate the encouraging words re: ridley here in the support group, but what is it about his body of work (< 50 yds and averaging 3.4 ypc) that makes you remotely optimistic? He's just not getting the touches to come close to his ADP (this year), even if he was averaging 6 ypc.

I'm benching him till I see something close to RB2 production, and probably going to stick bolden in there and hope he breaks one on sunday night (either a run or a pass).

It was a timeshare last year as well, the difference being that NE's offense as a whole was a better and Ridley was much more effective on his touches.

There will however be 15 carry, 80 yard 1 TD games from him this year, looking at the schedule however they may be few and far between. Seriously, what an awful running schedule.
To be fair, he wasn't sharing this much last season. Of course, it's only 3 weeks and those numbers are skewed by his benching and the end of the game last week, so it's difficult to tell how the split will be going forward.

I agree with a lot of this, but not sure how you can say he'll be good for 15-20 carries every game when he's had 9, 16, and 11 so far. I'd bet that there are a few more where he doesn't get 15.

The thing that is still up in the air is the goal line carries. New England is one of only three teams yet to have a rushing TD. If any of these go to Blount / Bolden then Ridley becomes droppable in many leagues.

I agree with a lot of this, but not sure how you can say he'll be good for 15-20 carries every game when he's had 9, 16, and 11 so far. I'd bet that there are a few more where he doesn't get 15.
Week 1 was well-documented fumbling issues. I'll point out that is 9 carries in under a half.

Week 2 he hit 16 despite the team pretty much giving up on the run.

Week 3 I think he's in there if the game is closer and gets the carries Blount got.

To me the Week 3 scenario is the only wild card. If they are lucky enough to have a lot of games with late 2 score leads I could see Blount getting mop up carries on more fourth quarter drives.

My educated opinion is that this thread is going to have a much different tone Sunday evening.

Week 1 was well-documented fumbling issues. I'll point out that is 9 carries in under a half.

Week 2 he hit 16 despite the team pretty much giving up on the run.

Week 3 I think he's in there if the game is closer and gets the carries Blount got.

To me the Week 3 scenario is the only wild card. If they are lucky enough to have a lot of games with late 2 score leads I could see Blount getting mop up carries on more fourth quarter drives.

My educated opinion is that this thread is going to have a much different tone Sunday evening.
I know all of the circumstances, I just think it's pretty likely some of them come up again this season. That opinion certainly isn't going to change after this weekend.

Are people starting Bolden over Ridley this week?
I am and it's not even a PPR league. I simply don't trust Ridley anymore. Let's not forget the fumbles. He's one play away at all times from being done for the day.

Someone mentioned that Bolden's stats were unsustainable. Really? Have you been watching what the pass catching RB in this offense is capable of doing on a weekly basis? That's was Bolden's first crack at it after being injured so naturally he's going to have limited touches the very first week back. I'm riding this train till Vereen rolls him off the track.

Bolden owner here, if I could get Ridley straight up for him (redraft non PPR) I would do it in a heartbeat. I think Ridley might be the best buy low candidate in the league right now.

Users who are viewing this thread