What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevan Ridley (1 Viewer)

LivingTheDream

Footballguy
Any thoughts on this guy?

He looked great las week and thinking the Pats need a little more balance on offense - So maybe he can leap past BJGE...

Any homers out there with some info?

Every time I watch this guy play he reminds me of a poor man's Steven Jackson -- which could be an amazing fantasy asset in this offense.

I just picked him up as a lottery ticket. I doubt he'll be useful in the next few weeks, but has real potential down the line.

Is Kevin Faulk coming back week 6 or so or is he done? Obviously he fits a different role than Ridley, but he's yet another mouth that could need feeding. The best hope for Ridley to become a major factor is widespread injuries like last year when BJGE hot his chance. Otherwise, it's a mess. He's definitely near the top of Lottery Ticket picks, though.

Someone in my league spent their entire blind bidding on him. Regardless of his talent and ability, I don't see how he can be consistent enough to start for your team unless you are decimated at RB, due to the Pats unpredictability at RB.

One thing about Belichick is he's not afraid to start young guys who are producing better output than established vets. LawFirm is steady, but if BB wants some pop, Ridley looks like he's got much better burst when I watch them. I don't think he trust Ridley yet, but if that trust emerges, look out.

Also what the heck is going on with Woodhead? He seems much more tentative to me than last year and his YPC is down (though it's a small sample) so far this year. I wonder if that wicked shot he took that concussed him this preseason is having continued effects.

Absolutely agree with the "lottery ticket" assessment.

He's got a very high ceiling and very low floor. I don't think there is any way of predicting how much work individual RBs will get in any given week with the Patriots. I suspect they will be more balanced between run and pass moving forward, if for no other reason than it would be hard NOT to get more balanced. However, there is no way of knowing whether BJGE gets phased out or splits time, in particular near the goal line.

I don't believe you can expect much this season, but if he's available, I would recommend picking him up if you can afford to stash him on the roster, hoping it can pay off in the second half of the season due to injury, offensive philosophy change, or outplaying everyone else.

Don't entirely forget about Vereen. He's not likely to be taking goal line opportunities away from anyone, but he's supposedly got a well-rounded game, adding yet another potential competitor for touches.

I dont think I've missed even one minute of the Patriots regular & pre-season action this year. To me, Ridley just seems to be able to make things happen. He passes the eye-ball test. BJGE is a very reliable back. He's never fumbled the ball. He's work-man-like. If I had to describe him in one word, I think I'd go with 'adequate'. Thats about it. Theres not alot to get excited about him.

I think you're going to continue to see Ridley's touches increase as he gets better at pass protection. He's clearly the better runner and reciever (when compared to BJGE). It wouldnt surprise me to see him finish the year very strongly.

Does Ridley have more value than Woodhead going forward? Thoughts?
In TD heavy leagues, probably yes.In PPR leagues, probably no.The problem is that the normal unknowns such as injury and a crowded backfield make any kind of prognostication difficult enough to start. Add in the history of Patriot RBs production shifting from week to week and it becomes nearly impossible.I'd be comfortable saying that in 100 simulated seasons, my above answers would hold more often than not. In this one real 2011 season, who knows?

Does Ridley have more value than Woodhead going forward? Thoughts?
I think it's entirely possible that the Patriots RB depth chart, might actually be the exact opposite of their most talented options. I think the future is a shared backfield of Ridley and Vereen ultimately replacing Woody and BJGE. For obvious reasons, BB likely won't trust both rookies enough to surpass them yet this season. I still think Kevin Faulk has a good chance to get active and steal some touches from Woody, though. Faulk's always been the most underrated player in that offense.

Ridley has the feel of a player to target for the second half of the season. I think the draft of 2 RB's with their first 3 picks shows that the team is looking for different options in the running game. BJGE is not a dynamic runner. I think if the coaching staff feels that Ridley can pass protect well, he takes over as the main back. They did show a lot of trust in him last week with the game on the line. Just my 2 cents. I have picked him up after dropping him in my keeper league and have him rostered in my auction league.

Last edited by a moderator:
contemplating picking him up ..... just hate the RRBC

Could be a great late season addition for when the weather gets colder

BJGE was stuffed at the goal line 2-3 times against Buffalo, that has to bode well for Ridley.

My thinking is that the Pats get by just fine with the BJGE/Woodhead combo in the regular season, but you need a strong traditional running game to win againt top teams in cold weather, ie playoffs. I think Belichick learned that last year & hopefully looks to incorporate Ridley in that regard.

BJGE was stuffed at the goal line 2-3 times against Buffalo, that has to bode well for Ridley.

My thinking is that the Pats get by just fine with the BJGE/Woodhead combo in the regular season, but you need a strong traditional running game to win againt top teams in cold weather, ie playoffs. I think Belichick learned that last year & hopefully looks to incorporate Ridley in that regard.
If I'm not mistaken, the Patriots brought in 2 fullbacks the following Tuesday for a look! :popcorn:

I know Brady is ripping it up throwing the ball but for the Patriots to win they are going to have to learn to run the ball more and manage the clock. It is fun to watch a team throw for 500 yards a game but that doesn't gaurentee victory as we seen with the Bills game. I kind of think the Patriots get back to the ground game this week against Oakland and they start grinding some games out in the 2nd half.

I know Brady is ripping it up throwing the ball but for the Patriots to win they are going to have to learn to run the ball more and manage the clock. It is fun to watch a team throw for 500 yards a game but that doesn't gaurentee victory as we seen with the Bills game. I kind of think the Patriots get back to the ground game this week against Oakland and they start grinding some games out in the 2nd half.
Unfortunately, between McFadden (if 100%) and NE defense, I don't believe they'll get that chance. :unsure: Like every coach, Belichick wants to win the Superbowl. It's been a while, 2004 season, coincidentely the last time they had a stud RB. Corey Dillon played in...

15 regular season games:

Carries 345

Yards 1,635

TDs 12

3 playoff games:

292 Yards

2 TDs

I do believe Belichick has been searching (first 2 of 3 rounds = RB). Ridley will get the majority if carries this week and going foward... :unsure:

I bought the cool-aid. :shark:

I have Woodhead and picked up Ridley as a flier pick.

BJGE performed admirably last year and I've always wondered why he was only considered an incumbent. Obviously he has his limitations, but even when you consider they drafted Ridley/Vereen, you have to take into account how thin their backfield was after BJGE/Woodhead. So this was not alarming.

But on a hunch I started Woodhead last week and didn't get the ROI I was hoping for (perhaps deservedly so), but what struck me was that BJGE was in shotgun formation alot. I would have expected more Woodhead here. And I think what the Pats have potentially is a guy who provides the physicality of BJGE with some of the versatility that Woodhead brings. So I don't think it's beyond the realm of reason for the Pats to move to Ridley if he starts to perform, while lessening the roles of the two incumbents.

What I would caution against is that Ridley will have to probably exceed expectations for this to happen game in/game out and that's how he'll earn a bigger role. But one missed blitz pick-up or error on fundamentals could usher him back to the bench. if he does ascend to #1 RB status in NE, it hurts BJGE IMO more than Woodhead.

I read something talking about Patriots staff planning on increasing Ridley's workload as the season progresses. BJGE has been less then stellar this year. I think Ridley will be the RB to own in NE, sooner then later.

I read something talking about Patriots staff planning on increasing Ridley's workload as the season progresses. BJGE has been less then stellar this year. I think Ridley will be the RB to own in NE, sooner then later.
The Pats always become a more balanced team as the season progresses and the weather turns cold. LawFirm is tough and dependable but far from a standout, especially as a receiver. There is a job to be won here. And if one of the rookies is able to stand out, look out.Also look out for blocking and ball security. Problems with either will kill the Riddler.

Curious as to where you read this? Was it from an actual Patriot coach/source, from a blogger who thinks they should do this, a reporter speculating that they might do this?Obviously if this came from a coach, it carries more weight, and would factor into Ridley's(perceived) value.

Curious as to where you read this? Was it from an actual Patriot coach/source, from a blogger who thinks they should do this, a reporter speculating that they might do this?Obviously if this came from a coach, it carries more weight, and would factor into Ridley's(perceived) value.
Here is what I found from the staff:
"First of all, last week was basically the first game he had played a decent amount," said Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien. "He’s got a long way to go, just like any rookie as it relates to the overall scheme and knowing what to do. But that whole position has been good for us this year, productive. He’ll be another guy that we add into the mix there. He’s got to improve in a lot of areas and he will. He’s working hard." Like O'Brien, Patriots personnel director Nick Caserio cautioned that Ridley, "has a long ways to go," but said the most important thing for any back is to "get positive yards and, when the ball is in your hands, make positive things happen." It's a small sample, but Ridley's done that for the Patriots thus far. And the Patriots clearly liked what they saw from him in college. "He was a productive back against a good level of competition," said Caserio. "He made the most of his opportunity. The most important thing now is to improve week to week and develop that level of consistency, whether it's Ridley or anyone else. That's really the most important thing, to learn from last week and improve."

Is it just me or does this guy look like a clone of Mark Ingram from a Fantasy Football perspective this season? If you were and still are high on Ingram, you should take a look at this guy.

I can't remember exactly where I read it but it was from a Patriots beat writer. It think it was Mike Reiss. And it came directly from the coaches who planned on giving Ridley a certain amount of carries in the Bills game. Fantasy owners need to closely monitor his touches next week against the Raiders. If he gets more carries, it will signify a pattern and perhaps a changing of the guard. I already stashed him, but I realize some owners don't want to drop someone of value just yet. If he gets more carries next week then he did against Buffalo, he would be a must add IMO.

Is it just me or does this guy look like a clone of Mark Ingram from a Fantasy Football perspective this season? If you were and still are high on Ingram, you should take a look at this guy.
Not a bad call, only that I'd say Pierre Thomas and Sproles are more talented than BJGE and Woodhead..

Not a bad call, only that I'd say Pierre Thomas and Sproles are more talented than BJGE and Woodhead..
This and the fact that they play outdoors in New England is even more reason to like the Riddler.

'Deaddawg said:
Ridley has the feel of a player to target for the second half of the season. I think the draft of 2 RB's with their first 3 picks shows that the team is looking for different options in the running game. BJGE is not a dynamic runner. I think if the coaching staff feels that Ridley can pass protect well, he takes over as the main back. They did show a lot of trust in him last week with the game on the line. Just my 2 cents. I have picked him up after dropping him in my keeper league and have him rostered in my auction league.
I have to agree he is interesting. I think BB knows he needs to get more balance to his offense and he will be trying to run more. Now who gets those carries is the $25,000 question.

This was on the ESPN Pats blog (which is very similar to what was just posted):

Ridley left impression in Sunday's loss

September, 27, 2011 Sep 271:05PM ET

By Chris Forsberg/Jim Rogash

Patriots rookie running back Stevan Ridley saw his most extensive action Sunday.While the Patriots enjoyed mixed results in the running game Sunday in Buffalo, rookie Stevan Ridley provided one of the bright spots in his most extensive action of the season, carrying seven times for a team-high 44 yards against the Bills.

Ridley, a third-round pick (73rd overall) out of LSU, is now averaging a backs-best 6.4 yards per carry in limited trots this season. During the preseason, the 5-foot-11, 225-pound back also produced team highs with 30 carries for 148 yards. With second-round pick Shane Vereen limited by a hamstring injury during training camp, Ridley might have gained an early edge on the depth chart, rushing for a pair of scores during the exhibition season.

But the New England staff stressed Tuesday that he still has plenty of work ahead of him despite the positives he has shown on the field during game action this season.

"First of all, last week was basically the first game he had played a decent amount," said Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien. "He’s got a long way to go, just like any rookie as it relates to the overall scheme and knowing what to do. But that whole position has been good for us this year, productive. He’ll be another guy that we add into the mix there. He’s got to improve in a lot of areas and he will. He’s working hard."

Like O'Brien, Patriots personnel director Nick Caserio cautioned that Ridley, "has a long ways to go," but said the most important thing for any back is to "get positive yards and, when the ball is in your hands, make positive things happen." It's a small sample, but Ridley's done that for the Patriots thus far.

And the Patriots clearly liked what they saw from him in college.

"He was a productive back against a good level of competition," said Caserio. "He made the most of his opportunity. The most important thing now is to improve week to week and develop that level of consistency, whether it's Ridley or anyone else. That's really the most important thing, to learn from last week and improve."

Ridley has a lot of hurdles to get over to be fantasy relevant this year including:

- Lots of other RBs to compete with. The Pats aren't unhappy with BJGE and Woodhead. If Ridley does better, they would give him more time on the field, but I doubt they feel the need to have to play Ridley. Kevin Faulk is also due back in a few weeks, only giving another RB mouth to feed.

- Vereen is also in the mix, and it sounds like he is healthy but working on his blitz coverage and pass protection. Once he gets the hang of that, I think the Pats are still high on Vereen as well.

- The Pats so far have been pass happy. They rank 1st in the league in pass attempts and 20th in rushing attempts with almost a 2 to 1 pass to run ratio.

- At this point, no one had really seen the ball a lot RB wise, with a big week for anyone basically being 10-12 carries.

- Like most years, if everyone is healthy at the same time, I don't see any of the backs being a great fantasy option. If they opt to have a goal line back, he would probably be the best option fantasy wise, as NE has shown they can produce a fair amount of goal line opportunities.

- I see NO EVIDENCE that BB has any intention of developing a bell cow RB, so other than fantasy footballers trying to market someone to be one, I don't see much on the field to suggest that PLAYER X is going to keep 3-4 other backs totally on the sideline (people can submit whatever name they want as PLAYER X, the names don't matter).

Add everything up, and things would have to break just the right way with a lot of IF THIS and IF THAT going on for Ridley to do much this year. Sure, if BJGE starts fumbling (0 career fumbles to date), if Faulk doesn't come back, if Vereen can't block, and if Woodhead got hurt, yes, Ridley might be in for a much bigger role. Maybe the Pats defense will shore up and the offense can get more balanced and they opt to run half the time (or more). Again, a lot of things have to be different for Ridley to be a huge fantasy option. I'm not saying it can't happen, but at this point I think it would be unlikely to happen.

I suppose at this stage of the season that there aren't many guys on fantasy waiver wires that at least have any chance of hitting a home run, so in that regard Ridley might be worth a stash. But I would not want to plan the rest of my season around Ridley being a sure thing or put up rookie Clinton Portis numbers.

you forgot to mention ingram is more talented than ridley.
Agreed, which is why he's available on some waiver wires vs. a guy you had to draft in the 4th-5th round.Ridley was a 3rd round draft pick from the SEC, so he's not a slouch talent wise...But obviously, the Saints are more committed to Ingram than the Pats to Ridley.

I imagine it comes down to blitz pickup/protection. Gotta be careful with a rookie being able to protect the franchise on a blitz pickup.

Im bullish on this guy. Own Woodhead and Ridley. Trying to find room on the roster for Vereen as well because you just never know.

'Itchy Amos said:
I dont think I've missed even one minute of the Patriots regular & pre-season action this year. To me, Ridley just seems to be able to make things happen. He passes the eye-ball test. BJGE is a very reliable back. He's never fumbled the ball. He's work-man-like. If I had to describe him in one word, I think I'd go with 'adequate'. Thats about it. Theres not alot to get excited about him.I think you're going to continue to see Ridley's touches increase as he gets better at pass protection. He's clearly the better runner and reciever (when compared to BJGE). It wouldnt surprise me to see him finish the year very strongly.
:goodposting: Thanks for the comments.

The Patriots have zero runs of 20 yards or more in 3 games. This is where Ridley can really help the Patriots. Ultimately his fantasy value comes down to touches. 10-15 touches could translate to RB2 type of numbers.

I would not want to plan the rest of my season around Ridley being a sure thing or put up rookie Clinton Portis numbers.
How about Corey Dillon numbers? Not as far fetched I don't think, but he would need to either unseat LawFirm or have him go down. Woodhead and Faulk share their own unique role.Vereen is the wildcard that really muddies this for me, but otherwise I see it as Riddler will work the rest of the season to unseat LawFirm or step in after injury. Much like the Ingram/Pierre/Sproles situation.As of right now, neither is dependable for anything, but both are in prime situations to step into TD making roles for juggernaut offenses as the season progresses.

I would not want to plan the rest of my season around Ridley being a sure thing or put up rookie Clinton Portis numbers.
How about Corey Dillon numbers? Not as far fetched I don't think, but he would need to either unseat LawFirm or have him go down. Woodhead and Faulk share their own unique role.Vereen is the wildcard that really muddies this for me, but otherwise I see it as Riddler will work the rest of the season to unseat LawFirm or step in after injury. Much like the Ingram/Pierre/Sproles situation.As of right now, neither is dependable for anything, but both are in prime situations to step into TD making roles for juggernaut offenses as the season progresses.
Ridley won't get (nor will anyone else for that matter) anywhere near the workload that Dillon did. No way, no how. Even Dillon didn't get the same workload after the 2004 season. Sure, if Ridely were the only guy at the goal line and they shunned everyone else in that role he could get some TD chances (the ones that don't go to the TEs and Welker).We don't know what role Vereen will have, we do know the role the other 3 guys have had (which they have done very well), and all we really have is how Ridley played in a handful of snaps with a handful of carries.I think some people may be looking for a scenario that fits what they want for a conclusion or an end game. SUre, Ridley is an intriguing 3rd or 4th string NFL RB, but he's a long way from being a key cog in NE. A similar case could be made for backups on other franchises as well. Have 3 other backs get hurt on most NFL franchises and the healthy guy that's left would be at least a fantasy RB2 if no one else was around to get the ball.

The Patriots have zero runs of 20 yards or more in 3 games. This is where Ridley can really help the Patriots. Ultimately his fantasy value comes down to touches. 10-15 touches could translate to RB2 type of numbers.
I like Ridley, but I think you're sorely mistaken if you're expecting him to be a back that rips off runs of 20 yards. I've seen nothing in his college or pro film that suggests he's a homerun/big play threat at the NFL level. If anything, that would be Vereen. Ridley's value would be around the goal line where I think it's clear that he projects to be a better version of BJGE.

Not worth a roster spot.
In a 14 team league I beg to differ.
Beg away.
It is insightful and fact laden comments like this that everyone comes to the shark pool for!(For those without a clue, this is :sarcasm: )
Thanks for putting your scoring system and your roster in your sig. It would be more helpful to everyone it you listed your draft too.
I don't know about Deaddog, my info is in sig for the purpose of Q & As in the Assistant Coach's Forum (obviously easier than typing it out over & over).

I like Ridley, but I think you're sorely mistaken if you're expecting him to be a back that rips off runs of 20 yards. I've seen nothing in his college or pro film that suggests he's a homerun/big play threat at the NFL level. If anything, that would be Vereen. Ridley's value would be around the goal line where I think it's clear that he projects to be a better version of BJGE.
Just in case you missed #22Like every coach, Belichick wants to win the Superbowl. It's been a while, 2004 season, coincidentely the last time they had a stud RB. Corey Dillon played in... 15 regular season games:Carries 345Yards 1,635TDs 123 playoff games:292 Yards2 TDsI do believe Belichick has been searching (first 2 of 3 rounds = RB). Ridley will get the majority if carries this week and going foward... I bought the cool-aid. :banned:

'gethugefast1 said:
'eaglezzz said:
Unfortunately, between McFadden (if 100%) and NE defense, I don't believe they'll get that chance. :unsure: Like every coach, Belichick wants to win the Superbowl. It's been a while, 2004 season, coincidentely the last time they had a stud RB. Corey Dillon played in...

15 regular season games:

Carries 345

Yards 1,635

TDs 12

3 playoff games:

292 Yards

2 TDs

I do believe Belichick has been searching (first 2 of 3 rounds = RB). Ridley will get the majority if carries this week and going foward... :unsure:

I bought the cool-aid. :shark:
That's some industrial strength Kool-AidTMI am on record as saying that I think as long as BJGE doesn't turn the ball over BB will accept average production from the position and BJGE will keep the job. But during the early part of the year BJGE's YPC is down almost a full yard from last season (4.4 to 3.5) and that may not cut it for BB long term regardless of turnovers.

Users who are viewing this thread