What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steven Jackson (1 Viewer)

nygiants56

Footballguy
I see a lot of love for S-Jax on this site, and I'm wondering how everyone has come to the conclusion that he'll be a top 5 RB, like some threads have indicated?

I'm not doubting the guy's talents, i'm doubting that the head coach,Scott Linehan, knows how to use him correctly, i.e., give him 330+ carries. Only once has a RB gone over 1000 yards ( Mike Bennett)or scored double-digit TD's (Moe Williams) while Linehan coached the offense.

It appears that Linehan is tied to the RBBC approach, in a big way..with Faulk still hanging around, S-Jax will again split carries like last year, IMO..I don't see his value being anywhere NEAR the top 5 at his position.

any thoughts?

:popcorn:

I see a lot of love for S-Jax on this site, and I'm wondering how everyone has come to the conclusion that he'll be a top 5 RB, like some threads have indicated?

I'm not doubting the guy's talents, i'm doubting that the head coach,Scott Linehan, knows how to use him correctly, i.e., give him 330+ carries. Only once has a RB gone over 1000 yards ( Mike Bennett)or scored double-digit TD's (Moe Williams) while Linehan coached the offense.

It appears that Linehan is tied to the RBBC approach, in a big way..with Faulk still hanging around, S-Jax will again split carries like last year, IMO..I don't see his value being anywhere NEAR the top 5 at his position.

any thoughts?

I don't think Linehan is necessarily tied to the RBBC approach. He didn't have a #1 back in Minnesota and he had two in Miami. What's he supposed to do? For the first 4 games when Ricky was out, Ronnie got almost all the carries. For the last 2 games when Ronnie was hurt, Ricky got all the carries. In Minnesota, a single back usually got almost all the carries for the game, it just happened to be a different guy every couple weeks.

any thoughts?

SJ didn't split carries last year. When he was healthy he clearly got the starters bulk of the carries.Faulk can barely walk anymore, much less carry the ball more than 5 times a game. St Louis has no other RB to share the load with SJ, i see this as one of the clear RB situations going into 06'. It's not murky at all.

any thoughts?

Often times coach's are forced into RBBC situations due to the lack of a complete back so they take "pieces" from each back, i.e. scat back in Bennett, goal line in Moe, etc. Even if Linehan wanted to use Faulk (which I haven't read/heard) I don't think Faulk can really be effective at this stage of his career. I'd be more worried if Linehan had a stud back like LT/SA and had an RBBC when it was abundantly clear that one guy should get the carries. I don't really think he's been in that situation.Whether or not SJax will be a top 5 back is another issue. It's possible but not probable. I see him probably being closer to the #9-#10 back.

I agree w/ the previous 2 comments. We all know the Vikings never had a clearcut #1 and whoever got the ball was so hot and cold he was forced to shift personell around. My take is he's got a guy now that is more athletically gifted than Mewelde Moore w/ a lot of the same characteristics. Moore had some nice numbers but you can expect much more out of SJax. Last season was a case of nurturing a rookie into the system along w/ a proven back that just couldn't sit on the sidelines and rot. I look for big things... top 5?? I'm not sure and I do have him as a keeper. He could be close. Its up to the defense once again this season. Keep pts off the board and he'll run run run!! Should be interesting

The new offense (sans Martz) will tell a lot of how SJax will be used.

He also needs to hold on to the ball better (not just fumbles, dropped a few passes as well last season).

If he focuses on becoming all he can he's likely a Top 10 RB in 2006 and possibly for years to come. Top 5 is a stretch (with slot 5 about the only opening this year after SA, LJ, LT2 and Portis).

He's a complete running back.

He plays for a team with decent blocking, an offense that can score, and in a division that can be run on.

He's likely to get more carries per game now that Martz is gone. The coaching change is a positive.

There is no RBBC outlook in St Louis. Jackson is clearly the man there.

These thing all bode well for any running back. They all bode well for Lamont Jordan who's also getting picked high in drafts this year.

Faulk also just had another surgery on his knee today and might not even play this year. When Linnehan was asked if Faulk was definetly going to play this year he said "He hasn't told me he wasn't." That doesn't sound like a for sure to me. I don't know about top 5 this year but I definetly think top ten and top 5 dynasty.

any thoughts?

SJ has value because he is a young starter who is in the Lamont Jordan category in terms of talent. SJ is younger but his running style and height (upright running style) make him an injury risk similar to Chris Brown. Age aside I would take Lamont over SJ. With age in the equation, it is a tossup if you ask me with the two of them being at the 9-10 slot

any thoughts?

SJ has value because he is a young starter who is in the Lamont Jordan category in terms of talent. SJ is younger but his running style and height (upright running style) make him an injury risk similar to Chris Brown. Age aside I would take Lamont over SJ. With age in the equation, it is a tossup if you ask me with the two of them being at the 9-10 slot
I believe Eddie George had that same running style your speaking of and he didn't miss a game for what like 8 or 9 years in a row. I would take S-Jax over Lamont all day.

Just chiming in, I have to decide between S Jax and L Jordan like the coach above. Right now I'd choose S Jax due to the age tiebreaker. I agree they are in equal classes and project the at 9 or 10 RB, not top 5.

I'm not doubting the guy's talents, i'm doubting that the head coach,Scott Linehan,  knows how to use him correctly, i.e., give him 330+ carries. Only once has a RB gone over 1000 yards ( Mike Bennett)or scored double-digit TD's (Moe Williams) while Linehan coached the offense.

It appears that Linehan is tied to the RBBC approach, in a big way..with Faulk still hanging around, S-Jax will again split carries like last year, IMO..I don't see his value being anywhere NEAR the top 5  at his position.

any thoughts?

SJ didn't split carries last year. When he was healthy he clearly got the starters bulk of the carries.Faulk can barely walk anymore, much less carry the ball more than 5 times a game. St Louis has no other RB to share the load with SJ, i see this as one of the clear RB situations going into 06'. It's not murky at all.
If Steven Jackson had Norv Turner as offensive coordinator, given his track record with RB's, we'd be looking at another Emmitt Smith type of year, 1700+ yards, 20+ tds, etc..

9 or 10 rb's? you guys think thats theres 8 better rb's or values in drafts? I think that SJ will most likely be drafted around 5 to 7 personally.

I would imagine that LaMont Jordan and himself would be drafted closer to top-5 than top-10 regardless of whether it be a re-draft/keeper/dynasty.

imo...he's a heck of a talent for the record. For whatever reason I feel that too many folks in our hobby mistake talent for production. I never have to worry about this guy on my team because someone else always reaches for him.

I will say he should be bumped slightly from last year.

imo...he's a heck of a talent for the record. For whatever reason I feel that too many folks in our hobby mistake talent for production. I never have to worry about this guy on my team because someone else always reaches for him.

I will say he should be bumped slightly from last year.
Re: Reggie Bush Hype.

I've got Jackson in a dynasty league and I know that there are very few players that I would trade him for:

1.) He is young, and his best production is likely still to come.

2.) He is, as mentioned earlier in this thread, a complete RB. He is solid in the passing game, and runs with power, elusiveness, and vision. He is capable of being an every down RB.

3.) He will be the Rams unquestioned featured RB for the foreseeable future. Faulk is a team leader, and more like a coach than a player at this point. I highly doubt if he'll ever see another year with 100 carries. This is not a RBBC situation at all.

4.) He already has one top-eleven (or higher in PPR) finish under his belt, despite only logging 254 carries.

5.) No Martz might mean more carries. It certainly won't mean less use of the running game.

6.) Solid supporting cast. He is surrounded by Pro Bowlers. The Rams' offense isn't what it used to be, but they are still solidly above average.

Durability is the one legitimate concern that I have. We'll just have to see if Jackson can handle the pounding of a 350+ season. If he can, though, he'll be fantasy gold.

I've got Jackson in a dynasty league and I know that there are very few players that I would trade him for:

1.) He is young, and his best production is likely still to come.

2.) He is, as mentioned earlier in this thread, a complete RB. He is solid in the passing game, and runs with power, elusiveness, and vision. He is capable of being an every down RB.

3.) He will be the Rams unquestioned featured RB for the foreseeable future. Faulk is a team leader, and more like a coach than a player at this point. I highly doubt if he'll ever see another year with 100 carries. This is not a RBBC situation at all.

4.) He already has one top-eleven (or higher in PPR) finish under his belt, despite only logging 254 carries.

5.) No Martz might mean more carries. It certainly won't mean less use of the running game.

6.) Solid supporting cast. He is surrounded by Pro Bowlers. The Rams' offense isn't what it used to be, but they are still solidly above average.

Durability is the one legitimate concern that I have. We'll just have to see if Jackson can handle the pounding of a 350+ season. If he can, though, he'll be fantasy gold.
Everyone and their brother knew that SJax was not properly exploited. Bulger injury didn't make matters any better. Let us be reminded that having a line that isn't suspect helps! But more importantly for all our RB draftees having a defense that can keep pts off the board, or at least the Off. in the game, keeps the running game in tact. I think both Jordan and Jackson were casualties of this last season. I'll give Sjax the edge over Jordan this season. Both incorporating new systems but I give Linehan the edge soley based on experience. Shell was a great coach and has not been in the league since 99'. The game has greatly changed, personel has changed and scheme/ philosophy has changed.

I'm not doubting the guy's talents, i'm doubting that the head coach,Scott Linehan,  knows how to use him correctly, i.e., give him 330+ carries. Only once has a RB gone over 1000 yards ( Mike Bennett)or scored double-digit TD's (Moe Williams) while Linehan coached the offense.

It appears that Linehan is tied to the RBBC approach, in a big way..with Faulk still hanging around, S-Jax will again split carries like last year, IMO..I don't see his value being anywhere NEAR the top 5  at his position.

any thoughts?

I believe Eddie George had that same running style your speaking of and he didn't miss a game for what like 8 or 9 years in a row. I would take S-Jax over Lamont all day.
jackson has already missed time in just two seasons...its pretty close in redraft (i might prefer jordan slightly)...

in dynasty, jackson is clear pick...

* & per another post, i do have questions about his vision & elusiveness... its not that they are terrible, but i don't think they are representative of what he does best (i've seen him run up blockers backs a few times)... he is a nice size/speed combo (between 230-235 & ran a 10.6 100 m as prep) & is a complete back as was mentioned... he can catch & block...

that said, i have seen him get overpowered by smaller players like DBs on blitzes but am not sure if that is a concentration or technique issue...

another issue that could be termed a flaw & maybe he can get better with reps & experience (& maybe it is related to lack of elite vision & instinctiveness which are hard to "coach up") but he can be erratic as an inside runner, & doesn't always run with as much power or even hit the hole as decisively as the top RBs...

disclaimer - i am a rams homer, & hope he emerges as a terror, but i think he has a ways to go, & am not as confident as i was a year or two ago that he has what it takes to be one of the top RBs in the league... he is already a very good RB, borderline top 10 with upside in dynasty, so no worries there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though i'm an ardent SJax supporter and owner, you've got to admit that he's currently a "Deuce McAllister" - a guy who gets a tonne of hype but has yet to fufill expectations.

a positive is that former impediment to breaking out (martz's imbalanced scheme & pass skewed play calling) has been removed... barring injury, one of the biggest "certainties" you can bank on among any potential break out candidates at ANY position...

jackson WILL carry the ball more often & more consistently in 2006...

if healthy, i would be shocked if he had even one game with less than 15 carries (unless something freaky like they get down 50-0 in first quarter)...

previous two seasons, that wasn't that unusual...

that is a huge difference... jackson will be able to get in a rhythm for literally the first time since he starred in college... he will also get to do what he does best... ie - wear defenses down in second half & 4th quarter...

any thoughts?

Yeah, it is always good to throw out one example to prove a point. :( As for taking S-Jax over Lamont any day, what could that be based on? Was it that Lamont averaged more than 2 points more per game than Jackson last year while playing one less game than Jackson? Or is it based on Oaklands offense being so much worse than St. Louis and Lamont still outscored him? Or it based on their skill sets, which are actually pretty comparable? I say the only areas S-Jax has on Lamont are the offense and age and the offense should be closer next year. That leads age as the only reason. my money is on lamont outscoring Jackson next year. That being said, in a dynasty league I have them neck and neck, but to give a hands down opinion I say is wrong, shortsighted and without basis

any thoughts?

jackson has already missed time in just two seasons...its pretty close in redraft (i might prefer jordan slightly)...

in dynasty, jackson is clear pick...

* & per another post, i do have questions about his vision & elusiveness... its not that they are terrible, but i don't think they are representative of what he does best (i've seen him run up blockers backs a few times)... he is a nice size/speed combo (between 230-235 & ran a 10.6 100 m as prep) & is a complete back as was mentioned... he can catch & block...

that said, i have seen him get overpowered by smaller players like DBs on blitzes but am not sure if that is a concentration or technique issue...

another issue that could be termed a flaw & maybe he can get better with reps & experience (& maybe it is related to lack of elite vision & instinctiveness which are hard to "coach up") but he can be erratic as an inside runner, & doesn't always run with as much power or even hit the hole as decisively as the top RBs...

disclaimer - i am a rams homer, & hope he emerges as a terror, but i think he has a ways to go, & am not as confident as i was a year or two ago that he has what it takes to be one of the top RBs in the league... he is already a very good RB, borderline top 10 with upside in dynasty, so no worries there.
Honest and fair analysis. Like I said I have he and Jordan and 9 and 10 in dynasty. I just don't see enough of the vision from him and I see an ijnury risk the way he runs. two others asked if there were 8 people ahead of these guys and I say yes and there is a clear 7 in my mind. In no particular order: Portis, LT, LJ, McGahee, Alexander, R. Brown and Caddy are all clearly higher on board.

He seems primed to take the reins and go. I don't know about top 5 but he is certainly going to be the top RB on FF teams next year.

The new offense (sans Martz) will tell a lot of how SJax will be used.

He also needs to hold on to the ball better (not just fumbles, dropped a few passes as well last season).

If he focuses on becoming all he can he's likely a Top 10 RB in 2006 and possibly for years to come.  Top 5 is a stretch (with slot 5 about the only opening this year after SA, LJ, LT2 and Portis).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was the #9 RB in PPR last year and I see no reason why he won't do better than that this year.

How did this thread reach 20 posts without a mrharrier appearance?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mrharrier knows that at this point the argument is won. SJax is a Top 5-7 pick, as he should be, and Julius Jones is off the fantasy map, as he should be. There's not much left for me to argue when both the demonstrated production and consensus outlook are now in line with reality (as well as my predictions from a year ago).

Users who are viewing this thread