What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (4 Viewers)

RIVN. Haven’t crunched the numbers yet but I might finally be back to even on it.

You selling out of it? I don’t own it but I was curious and it seems like there’s a lot of “ifs” in this deal with VW that are currently being interpreted as “definitely.”

ETA: The 40-50% premarket pop fading after the open. This thing will probably be right back where it was in a couple months.

Last edited:
Really enjoying the jump from Amazon. Might be a breakout so hopefully it keeps running. Sold some to pay for half of our lake lot, where we plan to semi-retire (working but where we want to retire). Took out a HELOC so I didn’t have to sell anything and while the interest rates suck, it was a great call. Everything has gone up way more. Our biggest holding is Amazon, which was just over $100 when we closed on the lot. Basically paid for the lot just by not selling low. So glad about that.

Can anyone recommend articles, books, podcasts, folks to follow for a rookie? (Sorry I did not read through the 1573 pages.) Finally at the point in my life where I have some options and while I'll use some sort of financial advisor for retirement planning and whatnot, having a little disposable income to mess with seems right up my alley. TIA

Can anyone recommend articles, books, podcasts, folks to follow for a rookie? (Sorry I did not read through the 1573 pages.) Finally at the point in my life where I have some options and while I'll use some sort of financial advisor for retirement planning and whatnot, having a little disposable income to mess with seems right up my alley. TIA
I'm sure there is a "stock trading for dummies" or similar ... not that I could recommend anything.
I do suggest you start with choosing a broker depending on what you're looking to do...
IMO, (I'm not even close to an expert) ... Vanguard is good for low fees and index funds / ETF's ... where you would park your money and forget about it.
Etrade is better if you want to gamble / day trade.
From there you would research stocks / funds that might interest you ... or just follow @Todem in this thread for advice. 50% of the time, he's right every time. :banned:

It really depends on what you are specifically interested in and what your goals are. Long term investing or short term trading? Individual stocks or ETFs? FIRE or stacking tendies to stick it to the man?

I'm focused on the financial independence side of things as I simultaneously work to retire in the next couple of years and have a kid/nephews in their 20s that I'm trying to educate, so my suggestions will slant heavily that way. I'm sure some others can chime in with ideas more focused specifically on stock investing. But as you specifically referenced "some sort of financial advisor for retirement planning", I'd highly recommend educating yourself on that area so you can know what to both look for and look out for.

For books, some good basics that can set a nice foundation for you:
Psychology of Money (my #1 recommendation)
Simple Path to Wealth (this one is still in my Audible queue, but I have heard the author interviewed on multiple podcasts so understand the gist, and it is very much beginner focused)
Just Keep Buying

I posted the below list of podcasts in the personal finance thread a few months back. Since then I'd add Risk Parity Radio as a great deep dive into an enlightening take on asset allocation (although he is quirky and annoying to some), and Catching up to FI has some good stuff and is focused on those coming to the saving/investing game later in life. A lot of people really like Stacking Benjamins, it wasn't my thing.

Have listened to these focused on retirement, markets, and investing for some time:
  • Retirement Answer Man (another good one for those asking about withdrawal strategies)
  • Money for the Rest of Us
  • Animal Spirits
  • Ask the Compound
  • Compound and Friends
  • Baron's Streetwise
I've been searching for some new ones focused on Financial Independence and Retirement in the past month or two.
So far I've liked:
  • ChooseFi
  • Two Sides of Fi
And I'm currently checking out some others:
  • Mad Fientist
  • Retire with Style
  • Retirement Starts Today
  • Retiring with Enough
  • The Financial Independence Show
  • .....and probably another couple I can't recall.

Thanks guys. A little more to help guide suggestions (also following I want to retire thread so some of this may be a mix):

- Through some gifts from relatives and inheritance we have an account set up at Schwab where these funds sit.
- Good friends connected us with a financial advisor at Edward Jones (gone to cookouts together a few times, good people and do feel they'd have my best intentions). Had initial meeting to go over things and put together a budget a few years ago before most of the inheritance happened. Coordinating schedules for another meeting.
- We're mid 40s, two kids (16, 13), wife took a decade out of professional world to raise kids so 401k's are light for someone of our age.
- Both professionally employed now making good money (low end FBG $), mortgage at sub 4%, CC debt free (finally), the rest is pretty normal stuff.

Not looking to day trade- don't have the time or intestinal fortitude, rather make smart investments with occasional changes vs. a set it and forget it (up until recently there really wasn't much $ to worry about).

All About Asset Allocation by Richard Ferri.

Thanks guys. A little more to help guide suggestions (also following I want to retire thread so some of this may be a mix):

- Through some gifts from relatives and inheritance we have an account set up at Schwab where these funds sit.
- Good friends connected us with a financial advisor at Edward Jones (gone to cookouts together a few times, good people and do feel they'd have my best intentions). Had initial meeting to go over things and put together a budget a few years ago before most of the inheritance happened. Coordinating schedules for another meeting.
- We're mid 40s, two kids (16, 13), wife took a decade out of professional world to raise kids so 401k's are light for someone of our age.
- Both professionally employed now making good money (low end FBG $), mortgage at sub 4%, CC debt free (finally), the rest is pretty normal stuff.

Not looking to day trade- don't have the time or intestinal fortitude, rather make smart investments with occasional changes vs. a set it and forget it (up until recently there really wasn't much $ to worry about).
I would never suggest someone not educating themselves, definitely do it. Understand what you're doing before you move forward.
... but it sounds to me like you might just want to park that money in a few good index funds vs trying to play the market.
I'm not sure if Schwab has their own ETF's but I'm using Vangurds VGT (Information and Technology) ... So it includes stocks such as AAPL, NVDA, MSFT, etc.
The other that I'd recommend is Vanguard VCR (Consumer Goods) ... AMZN, TSLA, Home Depot, Lowes, McDonalds, etc.
This has been fantastic for me as "set it and forget it" investments. I feel like the fund managers do all the work, buying low and selling high, while I sit ignorant, fat, and happy.
Investing in individual stocks does give you a chance at the "wow" factor when a stock like NVDA or AMZN has a run ... but be aware they can be fickle and more of a roller coaster.

I think your focus probably needs to be on understanding the options with the inheritance funds and making sure you are putting as much as possible in the 401k bucket.

Fee advisors are always recommended over ones with an AUM fee. When you meet with the EJ guy I would ask him questions like: Are you a fiduciary, which certifications do you have, and what are the fees on the funds you have access to. Fees are the great killer of returns and I'm not sure to what extent advisors push fees with big front-end loads these days.

This is all stuff you can learn yourself, but I can see how an advisor could help you. Navigating college expenses and making sure all of the gift/inheritance is being handled well from a tax perspective are the items you might need help with.

Personal Finance or Retire Soon threads may be more helpful.

One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch was my introductory read wayyyyy back when
My parents bought me that for my 16th birthday. I loved it.
Love my parents but they did not give me or show me good financial advice. Really wish they had, I’d be retired already! A little bit of luck and wife going back to work after around a dozen years raising the boys really accelerated things. I feel way more educated on financial stuff now than I was in my 20s/30s and maybe even early 40s.

I think I’ve got my boys in way better shape already but I’ll watch them carefully. I will recommend Fidelity because it’s nice that I still have parent level access and can see where they all are and only the oldest is in the real world. I’m helping him shop for a car now as the one his papa gave him (got cancer and couldn’t drive anymore) has about 170k miles on it now. He just got a promotion after 1 year (very proud) and we talked about the cost and range and a good car that will last 10 years. He got another raise earlier so his raises cover his rent, car payment and student loans so he’s saving well and getting his full match in his Roth 401k. I made him do Roth while single and before he’s making bank and wanting pre-tax. Other two have 3-5 years till real world so I’m just glad they are working and building up savings. Oldest will very likely be an ETF type person and the other two are really interested in investing in stocks.

Love my parents but they did not give me or show me good financial advice. Really wish they had, I’d be retired already! A little bit of luck and wife going back to work after around a dozen years raising the boys really accelerated things. I feel way more educated on financial stuff now than I was in my 20s/30s and maybe even early 40s.
I've posted it before, but my parents took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University when I was in middle school. A lot of over simplified or other silly things in Dave Ramsey's course, but the math on compound interest was a pure mind blown moment.

I still remember it clearly. Sitting in that church room realizing how I was going to be a millionaire one day if I just saved enough during my 20s.

Last edited:
I've posted it before, but my parents took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University when I was in middle school. A lot of over simplified or other silly things in Dave Ramsey's course, but the math on compound interest was a pure mind blown moment. I still remember it clearly.
Yep. I think all my boys already get that and we’ve talked about just getting going early. It has definitely helped my oldest when we sat down and went through his expected budget before he started his first job last June. Also helps to be in a house with 2 HS friends (in Raleigh) with a reasonable rent!

Books I recommend:

Money Masters by John Train - Timeless classic. Get inside the mind of some of the best who ever did it, including Warren Buffett, Benjamin Graham and John Templeton. Gold standard of investment books, IMO.

The Money Game by 'Adam Smith' - This book is a humorous read start to finish.

Market Wizards by Jack D. Schwager - Interviews with top money managers looking to find commonality for their success. In short, solid methodology + proper mental attitude = trading success.

Solid start here, IMO.

I've posted it before, but my parents took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University when I was in middle school. A lot of over simplified or other silly things in Dave Ramsey's course, but the math on compound interest was a pure mind blown moment.

I still remember it clearly. Sitting in that church room realizing how I was going to be a millionaire one day if I just saved enough during my 20s.

This is dated, but to your point on 'compounding', this is a good read I'd recommend to everybody.

I never read anything. One day my very wealthy uncle called me into his office and said how do you think I got so rich? I said, well you are a very successful lawyer. He said no, compound interest. Then he laid it all for me what to do and I’ve been going at it ever since. Extremely lucky to have that man in my life, I’d never be doing this if it weren’t for him.

As an aside, he’s getting older now, last time we had dinner I asked if he recalled that conversation. And he said he couldn’t anymore. :(

I never read anything. One day my very wealthy uncle called me into his office and said how do you think I got so rich? I said, well you are a very successful lawyer. He said no, compound interest. Then he laid it all for me what to do and I’ve been going at it ever since. Extremely lucky to have that man in my life, I’d never be doing this if it weren’t for him.

As an aside, he’s getting older now, last time we had dinner I asked if he recalled that conversation. And he said he couldn’t anymore. :(
The duality of time in one post.

I would never suggest someone not educating themselves, definitely do it. Understand what you're doing before you move forward.
... but it sounds to me like you might just want to park that money in a few good index funds vs trying to play the market.
I'm not sure if Schwab has their own ETF's but I'm using Vangurds VGT (Information and Technology) ... So it includes stocks such as AAPL, NVDA, MSFT, etc.
The other that I'd recommend is Vanguard VCR (Consumer Goods) ... AMZN, TSLA, Home Depot, Lowes, McDonalds, etc.
This has been fantastic for me as "set it and forget it" investments. I feel like the fund managers do all the work, buying low and selling high, while I sit ignorant, fat, and happy.
Investing in individual stocks does give you a chance at the "wow" factor when a stock like NVDA or AMZN has a run ... but be aware they can be fickle and more of a roller coaster.
Funny you mention these. A few years back I read some analyst say that well there is no "free lunch", you can get close by putting half your money in VGT and the other half in VDC (Consumer Staples) and do pretty well. It misses some of the tech heavy top periods, but buffers the down periods with the Staples.

Sadly it wasn't from my parents but from my UPS manager at the time. No dig but they didn't know. I was a part-time supervisor and he stressed saying for retirement. I was about 23-24 at the time and I followed his advice.

I don’t personally like it, but I know some of you like $CVS - going to get a dip today that has everything to do with Walgreens being terrible and nothing to do with $CVS.
Curious why you like CVS relative to WBA. I've never really dived into either company but my perception, as a customer, is that Walgreen's are much higher quality stores.

Funny you mention these. A few years back I read some analyst say that well there is no "free lunch", you can get close by putting half your money in VGT and the other half in VDC (Consumer Staples) and do pretty well. It misses some of the tech heavy top periods, but buffers the down periods with the Staples.
Also you will need a Reddit account to make sure you're on board with the next meme stock.
#nonotreally

I don’t personally like it, but I know some of you like $CVS - going to get a dip today that has everything to do with Walgreens being terrible and nothing to do with $CVS.
Curious why you like CVS relative to WBA. I've never really dived into either company but my perception, as a customer, is that Walgreen's are much higher quality stores.
Because CVS(Caremark) is the largest PBM. Walgreen's(Prime Therapeutics) is 6th.

Curious why you like CVS
I don't. But some here do. I guess the differentiator might be Aetna and the PBM side of the business that CVS has. But I have zero interest in either, personally (I used to own CVS many moons ago.)

ETA: But Walgreens is just independently awful and them being awful again should not be an indictment of pharmacies as a whole. Be like bashing NVDA because Intel was awful again.

PANW (Palo Alto Networks) and FI (Fiserv) on our master list now.

Cyber Security and Contactless pay

Nice upside from here IMO and long term holds.

BA returns to the list at these levels. Think 3-5 year hold from here. IMO they will work past the issues they are currently having long term.
Thanks for the PANW tip way back then @Todem
Nice bump in my portfolio today.

🚨Hedge funds “aggressively” selling tech stocks like never before.

According to Goldman Sachs, net selling in the U.S tech sector is on track to be the largest on record in June, going back in data since 2017.

Tech sector now makes up 33% of the S&P 500.

Highest in nearly 24 years.

Just shy of the 35% record from the dotcom era.

Incredible

🚨Hedge funds “aggressively” selling tech stocks like never before.

According to Goldman Sachs, net selling in the U.S tech sector is on track to be the largest on record in June, going back in data since 2017.

Tech sector now makes up 33% of the S&P 500.

Highest in nearly 24 years.

Just shy of the 35% record from the dotcom era.

Incredible

Does this mean anything? Correlating that chart to tech stock performance seems to not say much. Most of the time the big sell bars are followed right up by big buy bars. In many cases the huge sell bars directly preceded huge run-ups in tech share prices, and huge buy bars preceded huge dumps.

The last time there was a big selloff of tech almost as large as this was the start of the year. At that time NVDA was $44/share, AAPL $180, AMZN $145, Meta $350.

The last time there was a big selloff of tech almost as large as this was the start of the year. At that time NVDA was $44/share, AAPL $180, AMZN $145, Meta $350.
Ah yes, ... those were the good 'ol days.
If we could only go back and do it all over again.

Curious why you like CVS
I don't. But some here do. I guess the differentiator might be Aetna and the PBM side of the business that CVS has. But I have zero interest in either, personally (I used to own CVS many moons ago.)

ETA: But Walgreens is just independently awful and them being awful again should not be an indictment of pharmacies as a whole. Be like bashing NVDA because Intel was awful again.

Or, more familiar to us here, bashing Meta (or even the entire market!) because SNAP was awful.

Officially done with Nike. Should have cut bait sooner but I was stubborn. Just listening to my wife struggling to deal with Fanatics yesterday was the final straw for me. What a hideous business with just absurd customer service. F them and good riddance Nike....should have ejected you when you laid off my a bunch of my friends. Rot.
I'm kind of a sneakerhead and Nike isn't it. They haven't created anything new and is just selling stuff we could buy in the 80's and 90s with old and new colorways. I'm enjoying buying sneakers at a discount but this doesn't benefit shareholders. They blamed Covid for not being able to create new designs when other brands were able to. I'm sure they will figure it out.

No, their leadership right now is terrible. I'm probably going to short them to try and make up the money I lost.

Did you?

Officially done with Nike. Should have cut bait sooner but I was stubborn. Just listening to my wife struggling to deal with Fanatics yesterday was the final straw for me. What a hideous business with just absurd customer service. F them and good riddance Nike....should have ejected you when you laid off my a bunch of my friends. Rot.
I'm kind of a sneakerhead and Nike isn't it. They haven't created anything new and is just selling stuff we could buy in the 80's and 90s with old and new colorways. I'm enjoying buying sneakers at a discount but this doesn't benefit shareholders. They blamed Covid for not being able to create new designs when other brands were able to. I'm sure they will figure it out.

No, their leadership right now is terrible. I'm probably going to short them to try and make up the money I lost.

Did you?

No. I lack the balls to short stocks as a strategy. I just redeployed the cash from the sale into NVDA and NICE. I envision NKE being in a range from $90 to $100 for a while.

Did you?

No. I lack the balls to short stocks as a strategy. I just redeployed the cash from the sale into NVDA and NICE. I envision NKE being in a range from $90 to $100 for a while.

Lol, forgot it was their earnings' day. Oooooooops. Glad I'm out of this one!

Taking NVDU for a ride today. Let's see how this goes.
In at $106.50
NVDA / NVDU looking good early today *no jinx*.
... I guess Wall Street people didn't watch the debate of our presidential choices last night?
Everything is Fine
The FBG thread about the debate was very fun while it lasted. Most did not approve of either of our choices.
I think the only thing these disapproving people can do now is vote for a vice president.
... and unfortunately some sharks can't help themselves with talking deep politics and got the thread shut down.

Egad, Nike.

Almost at the covid lows :oops:
I haven't paid attention to NKE in years. Was their report really bad enough to arrant 15-20% down?
IMHO, yes. Without remembering the exact numbers, I think the gist was that their revenues would be negative instead of slightly positive.

It may be early, but this feels like Cisco or Intel, they’ll still be significant in terms of revenue and market but they are losing all their growth to these new shoe companies. My middle son and youngest sons wore Nikes since they were born and now in HS and college, both of their last sneaker purchases were Hokas. Wife has been wearing those for years now to work out.

For them to have negative growth when all these upstarts are growing like weeds just means they are losing market share faster than they can grow.

Users who are viewing this thread