What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (9 Viewers)

BassNBrew said:
Anyone else noticing how unstable many online platforms are right now.  Just this morning I had a problem with Fidelity.  Now my bacnk is saying documents unavailable and then they are available seconds later.  Wondering if all this remote access is bogging down many of these platforms and if there's a potential play here besides Amazon?
I work for a financial institution.  Mondays are the busiest day of the week.  The first of the month is usually the busiest day of the month.  When Monday falls on the first of the month, it is like a double whammy, and calls take longer to answer, more stress on systems, etc. - don't know if that is the case for your bank, but FYI.  

Anyway, I apparently qualify to participate in this one through TD Ameritrade so I'm wondering if this one has a chance to pop at the open like a few of the last IPO's. Doing my own research but was curious if anyone was familiar. I went through the prospectus but I'm not an expert - I can see they are operating at a loss which is common for IPO's, revenue is increasing a lot, and they're openly saying they are just going to aggressively go after market share for a while. 
How do you know if you qualify. I’m with Fidelity and I’ve gotten emails from their wealth advisors because I’ve got enough in my accounts to get contacted. Would they offer stuff like that or do you go on the brokerage’s site somewhere and ask to get in on it?

Another CYDY call tomorrow.  Hopefully Nader makes this one worthwhile but I'm skeptical.

Same request:  anyone dialing in, please ask why Dr. Patterson isn't on the call and emphasize his importance for the credibility of the message they're delivering.

TIA

I will re-post the favor request again tomorrow.

Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Time: 12:30 pm ET / 9:30 am PT

Access:https://www.wallstreetreporter.com/next-superstock-online-investor-conference/

Interested participants are encouraged to login early prior to the start of the event, as the online event has a capacity of 3,000 participants.  Please note that there will be no telephone access; this is a webcast only event. The livestream presentation will be archived for 30 days. For anyone unable to attend, a video will be posted on CytoDyn’s website approximately 24 hours after the presentation. The conference sponsor provides corporate visibility services to CytoDyn for a fee.     

Bought some Cloudera today (CLDR). Bought almost at the top at 11.15 so I'm already down 2% - sweet. They report earnings in 2 days. Hoping it's a good tech play in the Coronavirus world. It's just one of those stocks that I think in a few months when it has doubled I'd be thinking "why am I watching this thing skyrocket instead of benefiting from it"? Earnings estimate is they pull a 2 cent profit this quarter (after many quarterly losses). Hoping they blow that out of the water. No other reason to buy other than stonks go up, never down. 

TripItUp said:
Just bought GNUS...this thing may really run.  A ton of positive press and some really big backers like Buffett.
I feel like gambling today so I opened a microscopic position in this one.

Some reddit folks found an old episode of The Simpsons in which Bart’s basketball team plays a team called “Gnus.” The scoreboard shows Gnus with 9 points, so they’re convinced the stock is going to $9. https://images.app.goo.gl/QpU8jwvhgoVwR24K9

Stonks go up, never down 
Currently feels like nothing can stop the momentum.  Anytime there is uncertainty, the market doesn't tend to like it so normally I would expect a negative reaction to the protests/rioting and would have predicted a decline today.  Still feel like an overall decline is coming but I've felt that way for over six weeks now so certainly been wrong on the timing at least.

How do you know if you qualify. I’m with Fidelity and I’ve gotten emails from their wealth advisors because I’ve got enough in my accounts to get contacted. Would they offer stuff like that or do you go on the brokerage’s site somewhere and ask to get in on it?
It just gave me the option to participate in my ROTH. In my traditional, where I would prefer it right now, it didn't give me the option so I'm on the phone now and they're correcting it.

Currently feels like nothing can stop the momentum.  Anytime there is uncertainty, the market doesn't tend to like it so normally I would expect a negative reaction to the protests/rioting and would have predicted a decline today.  Still feel like an overall decline is coming but I've felt that way for over six weeks now so certainly been wrong on the timing at least.
Yea I don’t know what stops the momentum but it’s not going to be some kids breaking into a GameStop and some fires in the street. The market just doesn’t care. 

No idea what to invest in today with what was left over from May, so I just dumped what I would have invested in play money into my "pay off the mortgage or down payment on lake house in 10-15 years" fund. Which is 70% VTI, 6% each BND, BNDW, GLD, VEA, VPU. This account is only to be spent on the mortgage or down payment on the house if we move when the youngest graduates HS in 13 years. 

It's set so every month we contribute the difference between the 15 and 30 year mortgage ($800). occasionally I might dump a little more. 

Working gets in the way of posting and I don’t like it.

I’d like to add a stock to the general Thread conversation here.   Real good looking chart and given the current state of the world I’m expecting a big increase of sales.

RGR - Sturm Ruger and Company Inc

Sorry. I just threw up in my mouth a little.
No ####

4 boys, 1 girl

The first is a senior this year, he might attend community college or trade school. So he's fairly easy. Good kid, not academically oriented. But there's a Toyota plant opening near us soon, maybe he can get in there. 

Second is a freshman, 4.0 student, already taking AP classes, smart and hard working. Wants to attend a small Bible college and be a youth minister. That's been a fun conversation to try to talk him out of and into something where he could support a family. And the school he wants to attend costs $40k in tuition (not happening on my dime). Edit - apparently the wife had another conversation today with him, he might go into business administration and treat the church as a hobby / volunteer. Much better. Seriously, kid could be a doctor or lawyer.

Kid 3 is going into 7th grade, wicked smart. Wants to be a programmer or game designer. We'll see how that goes. 

Kid 4 is heading into 4th grade, no idea what he wants in life.

Then there's the girl. Starts kindergarten next year. She's a warrior princess. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No ####

4 boys, 1 girl

The first is a senior this year, he might attend community college or trade school. So he's fairly easy. Good kid, not academically oriented. But there's a Toyota plant opening near us soon, maybe he can get in there. 

Second is a freshman, 4.0 student, already taking AP classes, smart and hard working. Wants to attend a small Bible college and be a youth minister. That's been a fun conversation to try to talk him out of and into something where he could support a family. And the school he wants to attend costs $40k in tuition (not happening on my dime).

Kid 3 is going into 7th grade, wicked smart. Wants to be a programmer or game designer. We'll see how that goes. 

Catholic?

No ####

4 boys, 1 girl

Second is a freshman, 4.0 student, already taking AP classes, smart and hard working. Wants to attend a small Bible college and be a youth minister. That's been a fun conversation to try to talk him out of and into something where he could support a family. And the school he wants to attend costs $40k in tuition (not happening on my dime).

Maybe you should take a look at CHD

Yea I don’t know what stops the momentum but it’s not going to be some kids breaking into a GameStop and some fires in the street. The market just doesn’t care. 
The biggest obvious challenge is still Covid.    The protests have pushed it aside--but its still here and it's still burning through the population.  I still believe in the markets long term--as you personally know--I've been touting amazon, big tech, disney long term, @TripItUp (thank you by the way--I'm not sure if I gave you proper props for that recommendation) for draft kings,   I dipped my toes into some Winnebago and Thor today--but I'm not all in yet.  I'm investing--but investing cautiously.   I still have my precious metals which have been really good for me--and my investment properties--which have also been good.   I would kinda track the covid numbers--as we basically just had days of mass gatherings with no social distancing and not everybody wearing masks in many of the biggest cities in the country.  If the numbers start to spike--that could be concerning. 

Also--for me--I think the second biggest worry is the election.   People in this country are very emotionally charged and politics is like gasoline to a fire in regards to blowing these emotions up.   I want to make clear--that I'm not bearish--I'm bullish long term for our markets--but instead of being "all in"--I'm investing as if I'm cautiously optimistic.   We cannot count on the government being able to do anything close to what they just did in the case of another unexpected meltdown or interruption.  After what we went through--I think we all just found out how fragile our economy and markets are.  I know it's not super fun to be a disciplined investor--but that's kinda where I'm at. 

She wants another too. I’m almost 43. 
Pretty sure I've shared this before, but my wife and I were married 9 years before we decided to, uh, pull the goalie.

fwiw: Somewhere around 5 or 6, people quit asking when you're going to have kids. They start to assume you're not.

Anyway, we got married young, so that still meant I was in my 30s when we had ours. But I remember one day after a particularly brutal night, when I hadn't had much sleep and went off to work a zombie, getting home from work, collapsing on the couch, and saying, "####. Now I know why people do this in their 20s. How ####ing stupid are we?"

Very. The answer is very.

JoeSteeler said:
My issue seems not knowing when to sell. I am up 120% on DKNG and part of me feels like I should sell some but part of me feels like it could go much higher and wants to hold.
If it makes you feel any better there was a study not too long ago that showed that mutual fund managers outperformed the general market when buying stocks but underperformed the market when selling.  I.e. they didn't know when to sell, either.  So, you're far from alone here.

Another CYDY call tomorrow.  Hopefully Nader makes this one worthwhile but I'm skeptical.

Same request:  anyone dialing in, please ask why Dr. Patterson isn't on the call and emphasize his importance for the credibility of the message they're delivering.

TIA

I will re-post the favor request again tomorrow.

Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Time: 12:30 pm ET / 9:30 am PT

Access:https://www.wallstreetreporter.com/next-superstock-online-investor-conference/

Interested participants are encouraged to login early prior to the start of the event, as the online event has a capacity of 3,000 participants.  Please note that there will be no telephone access; this is a webcast only event. The livestream presentation will be archived for 30 days. For anyone unable to attend, a video will be posted on CytoDyn’s website approximately 24 hours after the presentation. The conference sponsor provides corporate visibility services to CytoDyn for a fee.     
I can’t wait to learn how you’re affiliated with Doc Patterson. How much longer do we need to wait? 

Many thanks for the stock tip!  “Chet” is a legend around the house with the wife.  

We look at indicators completely differently. I personally think RH is the exact lineup of stocks I want to short. HTZ is just one example but they're still buying a bankrupt stock. 

https://www.thestreet.com/etffocus/market-intelligence/robinhood-investors-pile-into-hertz-as-stock-approaches-0
On their own I don't think the RH numbers mean a whole lot, they definitely invest in a lot of junk over there. But if a stock actually has good reason to be rising, I think surging interest on Robinhood could be a good thing. I might be totally wrong. 

We look at indicators completely differently. I personally think RH is the exact lineup of stocks I want to short. HTZ is just one example but they're still buying a bankrupt stock. 

https://www.thestreet.com/etffocus/market-intelligence/robinhood-investors-pile-into-hertz-as-stock-approaches-0
I can't remember the last time I've looked at a file where the pre-petition equity had any value when the unsecureds traded at cents on the dollar.   I vaguely recall some cases of this in Latin America, where creditor protections are not as robust (some of which I unfortunately owned) but don't recall anything in the U.S.  

GNUS was the 4th most added stock on Robinhood in May, trailing only Draftkings, Spirit Airlines, and MGM. Gotta like that.
RH has been a great indicator of stock runs...hoping it's the same for GNUS.

GNUS is one of the few stocks on my watchlist that is green afterhours tonight.

RH has been a great indicator of stock runs...hoping it's the same for GNUS.

GNUS is one of the few stocks on my watchlist that is green afterhours tonight.
Definitely pumped by RH. It was a $15M market cap company a couple weeks ago. It just raised $30M just based on the huge bump up. This RH phenomenon is interesting. Reminds me of cryptocurrency where there’s been documented shenanigans because there’s no real regulation and early owners could easily manipulate prices. Get a small stock on RH buy radar and you’ve got an instant spike. It’s like watching Boiler Room in real life.

Definitely pumped by RH. It was a $15M market cap company a couple weeks ago. It just raised $30M just based on the huge bump up. This RH phenomenon is interesting. Reminds me of cryptocurrency where there’s been documented shenanigans because there’s no real regulation and early owners could easily manipulate prices. Get a small stock on RH buy radar and you’ve got an instant spike. It’s like watching Boiler Room in real life.
One of my favorite movies. 

“we don’t hire brokers here we train new ones” 

What is the best way to see where the RH sentiment is?  Would like to dig into this and hoping someone can point in the right direction.  

GNUS up 16% pre-market 

:coffee:

stbugs said:
It’s not a bad idea especially if you don’t see the stock continuing to grow. Right now, it might be a wee bit frothy so it could be a good choice. That said, if I sold half of my ZM at $130 and half my FSLY at $34, I would have missed out on another 50% and 33%. I’m also holding for a few years on both so it’s your timeframe on the stock that could decide when to sell. You don’t lose selling at a profit but you can also miss out on huge gains if you picked the right dog like Apple or Google or Netflix or Amazon, etc. Sometimes for some unique companies it was an amazing time to buy more after a 100% gain. Anyway, I think @Todem’s advice is very sound but there are many multi-baggers out there that you just want to ride even if they dip 50% in March 2020.
Again when I give that type of sell half after a 100% gain and look for another company. I am heavily focsued on people who have limited funds and are looking to build out a portfolio vs a person with say 500K or more and investing long term in a basket of stocks. 

I sold half my APPL after the first 100%......the other half has tripled since then. I did not miss out. What did I do with the half I sold? Bought several more positions which have all doubled easily since then as well.

Again it is not for everyone. It is more for the people simply starting out with 10, 25, 50 even 100K. And it is also a risk mitigating strategy as you can become wealthy being concentrated.....but more often than not you will not stay wealthy being concentrated.  

A stock I bought back in 1994.....MO (Altria) I sold half after the first 100%.....then got the PM spin off....been reinvesting the dividends.....I am up 700% in that stock since my first buy (with selling half after the first 100%). I held it long term. Again......I was building my portfolio way back then. 

Even now with a fully mature portfolio built for growth (not current income that is a different animal and approach) I will still take profits when I feel a stock is getting way too frothy and I see fundamental factors that warrant trimming, taking half off the table or an outright full sale. I am an active portfolio manager and I also am in tune to my clients tax sensitivity and discuss tax consequence if it is large and also a harvest “reset” the cost basis strategy as well. There are a lot of factors that go into buying and selling.  So I am typically very apprehensive to give broad stroked advice to anyone. Each person has a different story, need and situation. 

Meantime.....Riots, looting, destruction around the country? Who cares.

STONKS GO UP!

Pandemic, unemployment, police brutality, nationwide riots being fueled by organized groups who drop off pallets of projectiles, president tweets like a drunk townie (is that how you spell that?)...........

Stonks go up.  I was hoping today would be a buying opportunity.  I guess not yet.  Or maybe every day is a buying opportunity.

I'm only posting this because I think it's relevant to some of the news that might be causing today's spike, so it's worth filing away. This is my official "Political post but not really a political post" disclaimer.

With Moderna on fast track status and their aggressive path announced today, it's worth noting that the new "Therapeutics Czar" tabbed in the last week to coordinate vaccine efforts, currently sits on the board of Moderna.

Maybe they're the first ones we're hearing about because they're the best so far, but this seems like a conflict worth noting.

Moderna to be investigated?  Those stock sales stick to high heaven.
I think the fact that their corruption is so out in the open it can be harder to see.

I am heavily focsued on people who have limited funds and are looking to build out a portfolio
I'm grateful for this advice, so thanks.

I have most of my retirement funds in 401K  and IRA from previous jobs so those are all in Mutual Funds which isn't going to change.  However, I'm using a portion of my Roth money to purchase individual stocks and build a portfolio within that account in the way you described.  Thanks again!

Then there's the girl. Starts kindergarten next year. She's a warrior princess
:lol:    I have one too!  One minute she's wearing an Elsa dress, then next she's in her skivvies karate chopping her big sister.  Maybe we could get them to team-up and form a new Avengers group.  

Or have Davey mention it live...

Users who are viewing this thread